Author Topic: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread  (Read 273240 times)

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
Re: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2014, 07:12:06 am »
Just pointing this out real quick: it was never confirmed that SEGA cancelled Bayonetta 2. It's just the easiest to come up with scenario for why Nintendo is publishing Bayonetta 2.

Consider this: if SEGA really had no intention of continuing Bayonetta, would they have made that recent anime movie?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2014, 08:09:01 am »
Maybe Sega should have thought of that before, you know...cancelling it? And then selling its rights off?

Sega still owns the IP.
Whether that's a good or bad thing is up for debate I guess.

"Goodbye Bayonetta, say hi to Ryo Hazuki for me."

OR

"Another Bayonetta game? Who's developing it this time?" (Wishful thinking)

OR

"Remember when Bayonetta was an action game? When did it become a dating simulator/karaoke game exclusive to PSVita? Will 'Bayonetta 7: Love and Magic in the Laundromat' ever be translated?"

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2014, 09:38:35 am »
From my understanding Sega, or anyone else will not be able to port the game because Nintendo funded it and will hold publishing rights to it. It's trickier than usual maybe because Sega still owns the IP, but I don't think they could make Bayonetta 2 for any other system, even if it was renamed or "Bayonetta 2 GOTY Edition" or something.

You can still do it . MS help to fund Ninja Gaiden II but Temco still held on to the IP rights and when this flops hard on the Wii II . I'm betting it end up on the PS4 and XBox 1 at some point (where it flop on those systems too)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2014, 12:25:41 pm »
Knuckles' logic makes little to no sense, possibly not well thought out. You are suggesting that it is OK to deflate and kill a series because SEGA said they didn't have enough money to make a sequel at the time? You do know money comes and goes, right? Just because SEGA didn't make the sequel right away didn't mean they couldn't do it later for Xbox One or PS4? But switching consoles is deadly for a franchise and now that it is locked down to Wii U it pretty much means its dead, along with the hardware that it tied exclusivity for.

I don't know about you, I wish SEGA would have not made that deal, at all. I agree unless SEGA has the ability to port the game after x amount of time, this will probably be the last Bayonetta game.

Because Sega didn't want to pay Platinum more money which they couldn't really spare at the time and it would have been a lot of money where BAYONETTA is concerned. At least they didn't continue it without PG because that would have been a mistake. At least PG is actually involved in a sequel of a game they created unlike what happened when some of the PG staff created DMC but weren't involved with the sequel...

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2014, 10:09:09 pm »
Just pointing this out real quick: it was never confirmed that SEGA cancelled Bayonetta 2. It's just the easiest to come up with scenario for why Nintendo is publishing Bayonetta 2.

I think it was more or less inferred. Didn't some UK Gaming Mag post that that at one point they'd had a planned cover story for Bayonetta 2, and "it wasn't on Wii U." Something like that?

There was also Sega's announcement that "unannounced and announced" projects were being cancelled, etc. I think it's pretty much an understood fact, though of course it's true that Sega never outright said, "we cancelled Bayonetta 2."

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2014, 05:21:52 am »
Erm, how so?

You go around and read some interviews. It's not spelt out but the sentiment is there.

But yes the sequel would not exist without Nintendo, but SEGA is as almost as important.

Yeah because we know how much Sega loves to make sequels to beloved franchises. How's waiting on Shenmue III coming? JSR3?

I know what you're saying but you probably picked the worst two games as examples as both got sequels after the original bombed and the successors failed even harder haha.

Better off picking on something like Crazy Taxi or Shinobi.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:39:30 am by Aki-at »

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2014, 11:11:53 am »
I think it was more or less inferred. Didn't some UK Gaming Mag post that that at one point they'd had a planned cover story for Bayonetta 2, and "it wasn't on Wii U." Something like that?

There was also Sega's announcement that "unannounced and announced" projects were being cancelled, etc. I think it's pretty much an understood fact, though of course it's true that Sega never outright said, "we cancelled Bayonetta 2."
Like I said: it's the easiest to come up with explanation. I'm not saying that it isn't the explanation, but it doesn't have to be. Like there's also the possibility of SEGA and Nintendo having made a deal.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2014, 01:07:34 pm »
I know what you're saying but you probably picked the worst two games as examples as both got sequels after the original bombed and the successors failed even harder haha.

Better off picking on something like Crazy Taxi or Shinobi.

haha well either way I think the point's the same.

George's argument that it's bad for us that Nintendo picked up Bayonetta 2 and that we'd have been better off instead waited around "in hopes of Sega getting more money and changing its mind" is just....................................wow, lol.

The truth is, Sega-Sammy has plenty of money. The problem is, they don't like to spend it on video games.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:11:27 pm by Ben »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2014, 08:29:19 am »
Methinks they want to be careful with their money and fall in line with every one else.
Many publishers seemed to have taken this course of action: Have maybe three or four tentpole games, a lot of digital stuff for iOS and Android, a couple of indie titles and that's about it.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2014, 11:31:47 am »
You can still do it . MS help to fund Ninja Gaiden II but Temco still held on to the IP rights and when this flops hard on the Wii II . I'm betting it end up on the PS4 and XBox 1 at some point (where it flop on those systems too)

Does anyone know the specifics behind something like this? Because I'm thinking of cases like REmake and MGS Twin Snakes which never saw release outside the platform.

I would be all for a multi-plat release eventually (where the fuck is my PC port of Bayonetta, Sega?), but I get the feeling it won't/can't happen.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2014, 06:20:01 am »
Like I said: it's the easiest to come up with explanation. I'm not saying that it isn't the explanation, but it doesn't have to be. Like there's also the possibility of SEGA and Nintendo having made a deal.

That deal came after they scrapped the games that they were planning. Unless you haven't noticed the lack of Sega games between 2013-14 across the board? Since when has Sega been that bare of titles? Even when you include some of the titles they refuse to localise, the numbers are still quite low compared to what they were bringing out between 2008-09 and 2010-12.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2014, 07:11:58 pm »

Consider this: if SEGA really had no intention of continuing Bayonetta, would they have made that recent anime movie?

http://nintendoeverything.com/platinumgames-creative-producer-talks-bayonetta-2-wii-u-exclusivity/

It's been explicitly spelled out that without Nintendo, the game would not exist.  The only way that's even a possibility is if Sega, the IP owner, had no intention of continuing the franchise on their own. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:16:57 pm by Radrappy »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2014, 09:02:44 pm »
http://nintendoeverything.com/platinumgames-creative-producer-talks-bayonetta-2-wii-u-exclusivity/

It's been explicitly spelled out that without Nintendo, the game would not exist.  The only way that's even a possibility is if Sega, the IP owner, had no intention of continuing the franchise on their own. 

There are other scenarios.

Bayonetta made over 1.3 million worldwide and a good amount of those sales, 320,000, was from their native Japan. Lesser series have continued with a third of those sales.

EDIT: I should stress though, the title would not have existed without Nintendo. That cannot be denied.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:07:59 pm by Aki-at »

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »
EDIT: I should stress though, the title would not have existed without Nintendo. That cannot be denied.

The finality of this statement, and the source of it (PG themselves) creates some pretty ghastly implications as far as the fate of the franchise is concerned.  I wish more people understood this. 

Bayonetta may have sold 1.3 million copies but we don't know how much it costed to develop or what the financial agreement was between PG and Sega.  For whatever reason, Bayonetta's fate was very much up in the air.  What defines a success has a lot to do with what exactly happened during development.  Selling a million copies guarantees nothing these days.  Lord knows we've all heard the Tomb Raider horror story by now about 3 million units sold not being enough to break even due to monstrous development costs.

Coupled with the shoddy ps3 port that Sega themselves put out, and its quite clear that they really don't have much investment or respect for the franchise.  Or any of their franchises, for that matter.     
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:43:11 pm by Radrappy »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2014, 11:25:12 pm »
The finality of this statement, and the source of it (PG themselves) creates some pretty ghastly implications as far as the fate of the franchise is concerned.  I wish more people understood this. 

I do understand it, but this wasn't due to IP abandonment by SEGA. Unless of course, you believe the anime was produced out of the goodness of their hearts.

Bayonetta may have sold 1.3 million copies but we don't know how much it costed to develop or what the financial agreement was between PG and Sega.  For whatever reason, Bayonetta's fate was very much up in the air.  What defines a success has a lot to do with what exactly happened during development.  Selling a million copies guarantees nothing these days.  Lord knows we've all heard the Tomb Raider horror story by now about 3 million units sold not being enough to break even due to monstrous development costs.

Bayonetta and Tomb Raider are not comparable at all. One had a pretty straight forward development while one took over 5 years to produced and had a troubled production. Infact SEGA were discussing making sequels out of Bayonetta.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/sega-keen-on-avp-bayonetta-sequels

Binary Domain was a production that cost SEGA significantly more than Bayonetta and it only had a target of a million units. As far as budgets goes, SEGA usually keeps them in check.

Coupled with the shoddy ps3 port that Sega themselves put out, and its quite clear that they really don't have much investment or respect for the franchise.  Or any of their franchises, for that matter.     

This is a fairly silly point. I guess you think Bethesda has no respect for the Elder Scroll series either?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:31:27 pm by Aki-at »