Author Topic: So, what exactly is Yakuza 3?  (Read 16495 times)

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
So, what exactly is Yakuza 3?
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:20:23 am »
I feel ashamed to have to ask this question, but I have no idea what Yakuza 3 is.

I've heard people say its a spiritual successor to Shenmue, I've also seen lists of different fighting arenas.

Is it an rpg or what?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: So, what exactly is Yakuza 3?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:34:04 am »
It's a story driven, free roaming (though a bit restricted) action adventure with RPG elements.
It does have a few similarities with Shenmue, but IMO the difference is still big.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 05:48:38 am »
Open world that's a bit closer to Shenmue than GTA (smaller environments with more attention to detail).  You're not opening dressers and looking at shirts, but you can go into all the little buildings to buy different kinds of food, or go to night clubs, etc...

When you're walking around the city, people will run up to you and start fights (this can be avoided most times by running around them like Grandia/Chrono Trigger).  Once you're in the fights, it turns into a 3D brawler with combos, and the ability to smash people over the head with random things found in the area.  At the end of the fight, you get experience points that you can spend on leveling up either your special meter, max health, or strength.
You progress through the story one chapter at a time, and it's one of the big draws of the game.  Very solid stories of the Japanese mafia.
There are also tons of side missions to put a spotlight on the side characters.

Really great games. Definitely worth checking out the first 2 first.  The first one's a bit rough around the edges, but the second one really steps things up.

Offline Monkeroony

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:59:43 am »
Great thanks, I'd love to try the originals but my PS3 isn't backwards compatible.

This sounds like something I would be really interested in and will definitely be picking it up.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 06:09:58 am »
If you got a strong PC then you can run the first 2 games on an Emulator.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 06:28:34 am »
I played the first two (Well first one, I'm playing the second now) by buying a PS2 slim. They are crazy cheap now, I got one for about $80, which is like, $30~$40 cheaper than a 360 game. That might be a good solution for you if you want to try them.

I think the closest genre they fall into is probably an action RPG, it has the levelling up and random battles like an RPG, mixed in with shenmue style side-activities and some basic side missions too.

The fighting system is really good (I think Shenmue still has the edge though) and incredibly brutal. Most of all, it's really fun which is great because you will do a lot of fighting.

Defintely worth checking out either via Emu or just picking up a cheap PS2 model.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:48:15 am »
The Yakuza series or Ryu Ga Gotaku (Roughly translated to Like a Dragon) features the same main protagonist in every release of the series, Kazuma Kiryu, dealing with his Yakuza life, or the links he once had. The games have pretty complicated plots and for the most, well made too, although once in a while, the main storyline always branches off to some offshoot storyline that makes little connection to the game's main story.

MadeMan and Soup mostly explained it, it's an action adventure with RPG elements such as leveling your character up to gain more moves and an inventory system where you can put on armour, food to restore health in battle and weapons such as umbrellas and pullers, although all do have their maximum set of usage (Some weapons can take 9 hits, some over 30) Experience to level up can come from almost everything, from successful dating a hostess (One of the game's main minigames) eating food, solving sidequests or just beating up thugs.

The combat is pretty simple, but usually the main aim is to get the blue bar to the maximum so Kazuma can use his heat move, with the effectiveness of the move depending on what you are using or near by. For example near the edge of a balcony? Kazuma will throw the guy off, have a fish head? Kazuma would whack them silly with it, there is an enemy on the ground and Kazuma is holding up a baddie? He will throw the other one on top of him etc. The battle system itself is pretty good with throws, several combos, but nothing deep like Virtua Fighter.

I'd consider Yakuza 3 an improvement in almost everyway to Yakuza 2, the battle system features more moves, the environment is slightly bigger and the world seems a lot more lively. The camera system was also changed from Yakuza 2 to Yakuza Kenzan which now puts the camera at the back of Kazuma, instead of a set place like the first two Yakuza. Also Yakuza 3 also added golf and fishing to the minigames you can play. The series also has some oddball scenes and fights to remind you that you are still playing a video game, but it’s best I don’t spoil these moments for you!

I think the PAL release only has the Collector's Edition as the only version available and it will be the RRP of any new video game, which is neat. It’s supposed to come with info that will explain the character's history with each other and how they are linked as well as the soundtrack for the game.

Anyway, even if you haven't played the first two, I would recommend you to get Yakuza 3 anyway!

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:53:20 am »
Its The Sopranos, only Japanese and a video game.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 08:12:44 am »
Picking up a PS2 slim and the first two games on the cheap would probably be worth it too. Even if it's just to play through the story and get to know the characters.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:17:20 am »
Well Yakuza 3 will recap the story of 1&2 when you start it. So not needed, but recommended.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 08:34:40 am »
The Yakuza video games feature licensed booze. How can you miss such an important aspect?

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 09:04:01 am »
Quote from: "Orta"
The Yakuza video games feature licensed booze. How can you miss such an important aspect?

Forget licensed booze it has licensed BOSS COFFEE!!!! LICENSED!!!

Also the third one features a transexual model Monkeroony, you've been warned!

Offline Monkeroony

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 01:09:01 pm »
You had me at transsexual.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 11:54:38 am »
Mostly everything has been said.
But I would like to add that it's SOMETHING NO SEGA FAN SHOULD MISS!

So make sure you pick it up! ALL OF YOU!
Made by SEGA

Offline SOUP

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 12:08:09 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Mostly everything has been said.
But I would like to add that it's SOMETHING NO SEGA FAN SHOULD MISS!

So make sure you pick it up! ALL OF YOU!

Well said