Author Topic: Official Yakuza: Dead Souls thread of Yakuza > Zombies  (Read 8881 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Official Yakuza: Dead Souls thread of Yakuza > Zombies
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:49:20 am »
So its been over a week since some of us have got this game and how is everyone finding it? Glad that I got it again in English this time, the humour that occurs in Yakuza games is much more obvious here and I do happen to enjoy the arcadey style of the game here even if, I will admit, it is quite outdated. But you really can see how the team started to learn the tricks from Binary Domain (A lot more ingame dialogue from NPCs, the boss battles etc) but certainly true they've made this game in mind with fans of Yakuza games, rather than shooter fans.

Also I forgot how much of a badass Goda was, so cool, wish he appears in a lot more spinoffs in the future.

So yeah, how is everyone finding it or am I the only one playing it right now?!?

Offline DeSade

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Official Yakuza: Dead Souls thread of Yakuza > Zombies
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:38 pm »
I've always bought Yakuza games at day-one but this time i'm really out of money  :( I'll wait for a price lowering... but damn, my body wants some NEW YAKUZA!

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:20:35 pm »
I've always bought Yakuza games at day-one but this time i'm really out of money  :( I'll wait for a price lowering... but damn, my body wants some NEW YAKUZA!
I'm in the exact same situation :(.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 02:17:47 pm »
I got it, but haven't started playing yet becuase i'm going overseas next weekend. I don't want to get into the game and then not be able to play it for 3 weeks.

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:26:05 am »
Majima Goro's new video clip
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17329263
EDIT:
youtube mirror
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgCgVTGNxQw[/youtube]

this is a bonus DVD that comes with the pre-order of Kurohyo 2
i am not sure if there is anything else included in this DVD

i want this song in the Karaoke list in Y5 specially since its voiced by Kazuma :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:48:57 am by Suzuki Yu »

Offline el_clown

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:54:43 am »
Actually I asked a friend of mine last September to buy it for me while he was on a trip to Japan. I though that it would remain a Japan only like Kenzan. So after a week of playing and finishing the first character's story (I don't understand a word of Japanese but Of the End featured map points for submissions too, so I could play those as well just by going to the blue dots), SEGA announced a release date for Of the End as Yakuza Dead Souls, therefore I stopped playing.

I received Dead Souls this morning and plan on playing next week, I'll keep you posted with impressions and stuff. From what I played of "Of the End", the gameplay was a little broken in the action stages, but solid enough not to bee fustrating. Apart from the action stages, the rest is 100% Yakuza, minus the random battles, this time you can freely walk the streets of Kamurocho without being constantly harassed.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 06:44:17 am »
Am I the only person playing this?
Also I think Goro Majima is gay...

[spoiler]He doesn't go into Hostess bars, which is fair enough I thought, but then there's the whole scene with Daigo where he gets him to dress in drag. At first I thought it was just him trolling Daigo, but then it got a bit weird with him asking Daigo if he would ever 'switch sides' and then even coercing him to kiss. When they get interrupted, Daigo is upset, but Majima is dissapointed that the zombie didn't wait a little longer. It could all be a joke and lost in translation, but it came off more like he was seriously upset about it.[/spoiler]

In any event, the game is good fun, but not even close to the other Yakuza games. It's a cool spin off for the fans though, and something different from the norm.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 01:39:00 pm »
With the recent price drop, I finally picked up Yakuza: Dead Souls :D.

When I heard that there was a big emphasis on shooting in the game, I was pretty worried. I mean, there were guns in the other games, but the mechanics were pretty basic, and not really a replacement for a good old fashioned jump kick.  The Japanese demo didn't really make me feel much better about the emphasis on shooting either. That mixed with the mixed impressions online, left me with some pretty low expectations.

That said, I'm loving the game. The default controlls in the North American version work really well.  The strafe and shoot works really well for groups of Zombies/ charging through in a hurry. The stopping for precision shots works just as well as in RE4/5. It adds that sense of urgency when a zombie suddenly charges at you.

One of my favourite parts about the game is a pretty little touch.  The zombies don't bite you to hurt you. It's one of those things that's always bugged me about zombie games.  If the zombie bites you in Resident Evil, or Dead Rising for example, it hurts you, but you don't have to worry about turning into a zombie, unless it happens in a cutscene.  In Yakuza: Dead Souls, the zombies will swipe at you, and knock you around, but when they go to bite you, it shows you struggling to not let them do it, while your health wears down. I thought it was such a perfect way to fix that problem.
Another small thing that sticks out is the way the game will warn you of zombies that are behind you. If you're fighting a swarm in front of you, you'll see their glowing eyes on the bottom of your screen. Not a huge deal, but it does wonders to combat the problem of needing to worry about the camera position.

The story's been pretty awesome so far. I'm about halfway through Majima's story. His reaction to the whole situation is just perfect.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 07:22:34 pm »
Ahhh yeah, I nearly forgot about this game. I got near the end of Majima's story and stopped playing a while back. It just didn't really win me over, but it did have it's moments. I will go back and finish it at some stage (I think Max Payne 3's release really pulled me away from it too).

Offline SOUP

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 11:54:36 am »
I'm on the last chapter of Majima's story, so probably close to where you got.

The trophies are pretty reasonable in this game for the most part. You don't have to eat every item of food in the game. Just something from each shop, etc...

I'm really interested to see how Ryuji Goda plays.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:36:40 am »
I made a bit of progress in Ryuji Goda's story last night.

I'm not a huge fan of his chaingun so far. It's cool once you get it going, but it takes a little too long to get running in close quarters. I made the mistake of pissing of one of the aggro zombies in a hallway, and had to switch to the handgun to hit him at all. The story continues to be interesting though :).

Offline ptpattycakes

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:44:57 pm »
I just recently picked this game up.  Its pretty sweet, I got to Kazuma's chapter last night.  Loving it so far! 

Offline SOUP

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:19:02 am »
@ptpattycakes:
Congrats. That's some pretty wild progress.
I just finished Kazuma's first chapter myself :D

Offline ptpattycakes

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 07:47:53 am »
Didn't I hear someone from Sega say at one point that its up to you if this game is canon or not?

Offline SOUP

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 11:54:57 pm »
I think that I'll wait until 5 before I decide for myself on that one.