Author Topic: SEGA at E3 2013  (Read 67930 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: SEGA at E3 2013
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2013, 02:25:47 am »
True, SEGA's been very quiet about the Xbox One and Playstation 4 titles, the only major next-gen title is Sonic Lost World on the Wii U.

Though, I am starting to notice SEGA slowly shift into a PC-focused market.

I wonder if the Aliens game from Creative Assembly will be announced for one of major new consoles.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2013, 04:21:07 am »
SEGA isn't "backing" the wrong console. The only Wii U exclusives announced are Sonic games, one of which has Mario in it. Sonic games typically sell best on Nintendo consoles, so the partnership makes sense, ESPECIALLY if there is money involved for that exclusivity.

I'm Sorry SEGA is again nowhere to be seen at yet another E3. No news on PSO II for the west or even the Next gen consoles :( SEGA Japan completely absent from SONY, MS big pushes while they show off the likes of Capcom and Konami games and their next gen engines  and all we get is Sonic for what is a  doomed console that will be lucky to see this year out (This Sonic should also be coming to the 360 and PS3 imo)

Way to go SEGA Japan  you're way behind for yet another generation of consoles :(
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2013, 05:51:02 am »
Would it even be wise to compete with all the next gen greatness on the other 2 platforms? I dunno but to me it's like ps4 and one are really aiming at the people that love blockbuster products on high tech hardware. I can see most of the consumers will exist of either people who like shooters, or western genres in general, at least at launch from what we've seen. Count in that things arent in the best state economically, and I think with that it's actually quite wise that they are putting their games on a that's likely gonna have more of the audience SEGA is looking for. Unless you want SEGA to change into something that isn't SEGA... it does seem quite risky to charge right now. SEGA  was already struggling this gen. Let alone next gen.

Edit:Though Focussing on PC is good. I feel like there's a lot of people who are switching to PC and it keeps growing. I have a feeling sony and micrososft are underestimating that. And it could be one of the reasons that result in lackluster sales for ps4/one as well

Having said that, Wii U is struggling as well... so what they are doing now is still pretty risky. I do gotta say that the SEGA games really shine on the wii u. They really pop out as must haves and system sellers.

As for SEGA's presence at E3...  other japanese publishers have been absent as well. Strange but it seems many japanese publishers have been either absent or have few games at e3 for some reason
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:13:05 am by CrazyTails »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2013, 06:33:47 am »
I agree 100% with TA on this. E3 is starting to feel like a non-event every year, SEGA has nothing to show off, other than games that are coming out this year. No annoucements, not a teaser. Two of the games have already been released and one of 'em in the week after E3.

To say that Castle of Illusion is the only game that I'm personally looking foward to, if only because of Disney is not a good sign.

And as for Sonic Lost World, don't be fooled by the excitement on Neogaf and Sonic-related websites, the gaming industry and gaming press at large does not give a flying hoot about this game nor the excitement over the prospect of exclusive Sonic deals on Nintendo's Wii U.

Nintendo didn't even bother to have a proper conference, so this "alliance" has already proven to be unhealthy out of the gate.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2013, 08:26:57 am »
The question is - can SEGA afford bigger games only for the domestic market?

Yoshida said TGS is gonna something to be excited for at least. Let's wait till then.

Sega just doesn't have something on the level of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 08:46:09 am »
All you guys are off on this. Sega has never shown anything to get excited about for E3. They usually show their best games outside of this event. I dont know why for the life of me that people act like something is going to happen and then it doesn't and start to bitch about it. Its always been like that with sega for the E3 post DC.
And just because sega hasn't shown any new titles yet, must automatically mean that they are behind and are going to fail. gimme a break. I dont think it matters what you have ready for the next gen from the beginning its how you end on it. And the last few years Sega has had a decent,diverse if brilliant collection of titles this gen. When you think how it opened with titles like CONDEMNED and FULL AUTO to the Wii games of HOTD:OKLL and the second party/platinum offerings of BAYONETTA, VANQUISH and MADWORLD to some solid Sega ports of HOTD4, VF5 SHOWDOWN and the suprises along the way with the HD remakes of SONIC or the satifiaction of playing new sega games that hark back to sega's old glory be it the nostalgic sega universe title like SASAS R:T or the sega crowd pleaser BINARY DOMAIN.
Apart from obvious crap that's happened and the debate whether how much success they have had, no one here can say they haven't had a good choice of selection to the games sega hsas offered and we still have yet to see how they will close out the current gen. Its too early to speculate on how their next gen journey will end up or even start yet. People are complaining now but when the games are out, people wil start cheering and hooping. So lets wait and see before jumping to conclusions, ok?

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2013, 09:27:30 am »
The question is - can SEGA afford bigger games only for the domestic market

That's going to be such a flawed strategy for starters , even SONY is launching its console in the west 1st , The Japanese Market is now only really good for Handhelds .

When you think how it opened with titles like CONDEMNED and FULL AUTO to the Wii games of HOTD:OKLL and the second party/platinum offerings of BAYONETTA, VANQUISH and MADWORLD to some solid Sega ports of HOTD4, VF5 SHOWDOWN and the suprises along the way with the HD remakes of SONIC or the satifiaction of playing new sega games that hark back to sega's old glory be it the nostalgic sega universe title like SASAS R:T or the sega crowd pleaser BINARY DOMAIN.

C'Mon lets stop the SEGA defence force . For one think Con,Full Auto, Bay, Van, Mad world weren't even SEGA developed games and the days of Japan and the Toyko game show leading the way are long gone and over . E3 used to be where SEGA got people talking for all the right reasons the CES was the show where the world 1st seen Saturn unit and its games, E3 was where SEGA 1st showed off Daytona USA 2001, PSO II, JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, hell while it might have just been Arcade footage... E3 even got to see the latest builds of VF5, AfterBurner Climax House of the Dead 4 with SEGA private showing at E3 2005 at least giving people a taste of what SEGA Japan was up too for next gen Hardware .

This year nothing only games that we've all seen before and support for a doomed console (where most mums and dads will be buying their kids a cheap 360 or PS3 this Christmas rather than a Wii U) . Nice one SEGA Japan you're way behind the rest before the systems even launch . No new games, no new Next gen engines, no excitement  and not even talk of PSO 2  for the west or the consoles :(. A totally pathetic showing and one of SEGA worst of all time at E3 imo.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Trippled

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2013, 11:13:28 am »
That's going to be such a flawed strategy for starters , even SONY is launching its console in the west 1st , The Japanese Market is now only really good for Handhelds .

I woudn't it put it past them to have a questionable strategy!

It would be a logical and expected thing to do to show their next-gen stuff at a worldwide event like E3, but really too few companies are really about that anymore, being reasonable. Just look at Nintendo. Wierd startegies all around.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2013, 06:53:34 pm »
As Joe said, Sega never does anything good at E3, but for some reason I keep wishing they would.

I fully expected them to go into this even with nothing but stuff we've seen yonks ago and iPhone trash, but a part of me wanted to see something new from them.

At least Nintendo showed off Bayonetta 2 which looks great. Sega can eat a dick for not publishing this themselves.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2013, 07:44:37 pm »
Actually, are any iPhone games on display at the SEGA booth this year?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2013, 08:07:10 pm »
The Cave?

Offline ROJM

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2013, 04:16:10 am »

E3 used to be where SEGA got people talking for all the right reasons the CES was the show where the world 1st seen Saturn unit and its games, E3 was where SEGA 1st showed off Daytona USA 2001, PSO II, JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, hell while it might have just been Arcade footage... E3 even got to see the latest builds of VF5, AfterBurner Climax House of the Dead 4 with SEGA private showing at E3 2005 at least giving people a taste of what SEGA Japan was up too for next gen Hardware .
That only happened once TA and that wasn't even worth it,  usually Sega doesn't bother with E3 and haven't done since the DC died. Remember the last three years? All the games that people around here were excited about were shown at comic con, and other shows. None of them appeared at E3 at least as being first unveiled at E3. And ORTA JSRF weren't shown first sat E3 they were already seen before E3 came along.

C'Mon lets stop the SEGA defence force . For one think Con,Full Auto, Bay, Van, Mad world weren't even SEGA developed games and the days of Japan and the Toyko game show leading the way are long gone and over .

So? does YAKUZA SONIC and VC count then? A sega game is a sega game because the game whatever its from was sanctioned by Sega. The point is Sega as a company whose supply games from whatever source has delivered some goods. Now if you are talking about development then say development. Dont generalise. And the games Sega show for TGS are games that dont come out over here in the west. Again you are behind in the times on how sega works, if you ever knew how they operate.

This year nothing only games that we've all seen before and support for a doomed console (where most mums and dads will be buying their kids a cheap 360 or PS3 this Christmas rather than a Wii U) .

Yes because you can look into the future... Now lets look at it. Sega is the first of the big guns to develop for a next gen system in the form of the NWiiU by promising that system a HD remake of a new but now classic franchise, some new Sonic titles and GG to 3DS support. How is that being behind? Just because its not on the system you want to see? here's a clue. None of Sega's games are on systems I want to see them on but i have to deal with it. As for the not showing games at the whatever system presentation launches...So F what. How did the XBO presentation benefit EA who showed Fifa? it didn't. How the hell does all these games shown now benefit Sony when  we all be a year away. it doesn't. If Sega didn't have ANYTHING at launch then you have a frigging point but we both know that Sega is one of the first supporters to release a game on a  new system.

Why did i mention the xbox360 sega games? Because at least sega bothered to release games for the 360 when it first came out when "almighty" capcom and Konami didn't. The PS3? That saw the Sega golf club and VF5 and a published supporting title at its launch. And two are sega developed games and were ports but of course it doesn't matter because they are ports even though you used that E3 presentation of arcade games as an exciting moment for E3...

Nice one SEGA Japan you're way behind the rest before the systems even launch . No new games, no new Next gen engines, no excitement  and not even talk of PSO 2  for the west or the consoles :(. A totally pathetic showing and one of SEGA worst of all time at E3 imo.
Apart from the fact that Sega never had a good showing at E3.
Its too early to start moaning that sega hasn't got anything yet. hardly a defence just common sense.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:19:19 am by ROJM »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2013, 05:25:47 am »
The Cave?

Shigs and Nux didn't see The Cave at SEGA's booth. So must have been iphone-free this year.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2013, 06:29:46 am »
ROJM's right though. There's nothing to worry about really.

I'd rather SEGA save the announcements for when they are ready than splash their games on E3 and they end up being buggy messes.

Nintendo was pretty wise to not show anything at E3 in my honest opinion. Their direct was disappointing other than Smash, and I can bet you that the game would be played much more than the other titles they announced.

The only disappointment for me is Bayonetta 2's release date.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2013, 08:26:08 am »
The only disappointment for me is Bayonetta 2's release date.
Which makes sense. Nintendo can't compete directly with the big two, they've known that for years now. so they have opted to create a system that delivers something unique. Nothing really that unique with the WiiU but by the time the big games including BAY2 is released next year the Wii U would be more cheaper to get than it is now. but the PSX4 and XBO wont be.

I'd rather SEGA save the announcements for when they are ready than splash their games on E3 and they end up being buggy messes.
Me too but i also like to see Sega try to challenge and compete with Konami and capcom by creating a title or titles that are on the same type of level. In that  i do agree with TA. Since post xbox they have either concentrated on japan or pushed Sonic and left any other company to fill the gap. I'd like to see Sega's consumer divisions tackle it instead of management sidestepping the issue by making cheap games with massive returns in profits.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:29:19 am by ROJM »