Author Topic: SEGA at E3 2013  (Read 68387 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: SEGA at E3 2013
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2013, 01:10:13 pm »
I dunno they have been kinda slipping. Still no sight of VF6. And ever since 2010 they have only made a couple of rail-shooters, and revisions of Initial D, Border Break and Shining Cross

SEGA AM Teams have still done well with some great games and great looking games ; impressive given the games are running on tech that was behind the 360 and PS3. Also I'm sure VF6 is coming soon and no doubt will mark SEGA new Arcade board .

Btw I don't want it to look like I'm having a go at ROJM all the time. My disappointment and beef really is with SEGA Japan . I just wish,want them to do so much more and for people to be talking good of SEGA again
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2013, 09:17:33 pm »
I just wish,want them to do so much more and for people to be talking good of SEGA again

Perfect, TA, well said, this is a resume of much of what I think, too.
SEGA STYLE

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2013, 03:48:42 am »
It started life out has a UGA game - Sonic Team then took over development with the merger of UGA and ST.

No it was they who joined Sonic Team to finish ASTRO BOY.

I would expect every SEGA fan would have expected a far better showing from SEGA this year and even it was just news of PSO II on Vita and PC for the West, a possible Yakuza 5 translation - something for the faithful to look forward too .

Not really,and if you'd thought that then you haven't been paying attention. When has sega in the last five years made any announcements at E3? They usually do it outside the event.

There's a difference when you're in massive debit and trying to fight hostel takeovers which the board don't want . Not asking for Shenmue III here , just some more output from SEGA on the current and next gen consoles.

Funny because when i mentioned that you said it doesn't make a difference now all of a sudden it does? Keep on twisting.

Not its correct . The E3 demo of JSRF done just for the show and confirmed by the team the 1st time the game was shown off to the public and done in 4 weeks. Panzer Dragon Orta I remember it very well : we got 6 odd screen shots before the game was shown off at E3 . E3 was also the 1st time people saw the new look HOTD III running (after the outcry from the cel-shading look)

Sorry they didn't debut at E3.
Monster Hunter on the PSP is one of the best selling hand held games around in Japan way above that of PSO 2 on Vita

So was the two PSPortable games. Doesn't mean Sega has lost its way.

One read of Sammy website shows the losses SEGA consumer Teams have  made over the years. That's why was it was baffling  to see you deny those facts or the fact that the whole of the SEGA group posted an overall loss now and again.

Consumer not the company entire. And if you actually read any of the full reports they still made a profit anyway.

C'Mon we now listing Arcade/Mobile games and trying to count them as new IP ? Please lets keep it to console games and btw Sengoku Taisen isn't really a new IP but one that goes back years and running on XBox Arcade hardware .
Still sega isn't it? SENGOKU TAISEN is new this gen actually and had two updates since its release.It only came out around four years ago. And regardless on what platform its released on its still new IP.

Of a made that came out in 2008 and where the sequels were reduced to a HH and the brilliant game engine never used again . SEGA should have given the sequel one more chance on the PS3 or at least made a new PS3 game with that brilliant engine . I'm on about the SEGA now in 2013 and they're really not good enough at the more bar a couple of teams .

No you said they haven't released anything decent and then changed it to new for this current gen. The current gen started in 2006 and hasn't ended yet. So it still counts.
Owning IP is one think making and developing the games is quite another . No one really gave SEGA any credit for making Gunstar Heroes -everyone knows it's a Treasure game , just like Gradius V is a treasure game even if Konami hold the IP rights or F335 is a SEGA game even if they didn't hold the IP rights for the west .
Yawn the point is sega holds the rights and its the only place where you can have sequels using the name. So don't get clever with me about the IP rights especially when Sega paid them to make the game. BAYONETTA 2 is owned by Sega, licensed to Nintendo. deal with it.

Capcom RE 6 and Dragon Dogma,Monster Hunter 3  have all been multi million sellers this year . Games that people both in the West and Japan can enjoy. The Japanse market is not where you're going to make the big money on the consoles and the fact that SONY is brining out the PS4 in USA 1st all but tells you that . 

Didn't you just say Sega should make western games? Here's a reminder...
You said...

And other than SONIC and Yakuza what do the In-House Teams focus on consoles ?:That's SEGA trouble and why most people don't care about SEGA anymore . SEGA Japan needs to up its game and become relevant to console gamers once again - That means Multi platform support and making some big AAA games with an eye to the west and On-line gaming .

My initial reply to your comment...
No Sega should make games that have an international appeal and not just cater to the west.

As you can see TA and everyone else reading this post, first TA says the west and now he's talking about international appeal. Repeating the exact thing i said to him before. You keep saying its not personal TA but it obviously is as you keep accusing me of things i never said so you can be popular with a bunch of uneducated sonic fans who don't know nothing. Well carry on,
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:57:00 am by ROJM »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2013, 08:41:04 am »
ROJM, your constantly insulting tone towards TA has been wearing thin for a while.  You guys want to debate about obscure details, that's fine, but generally TA is able to do so without resorting to the kinds of personal insults you revel in.  And now you're basically insulting everyone, saying that everyone else here is an uneducated Sonic fan? What is your freaking problem, man?

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2013, 09:57:02 am »
Sonic Team to finish ASTRO BOY

ST took over UGA and with that a few of the UGA staff left .

When has sega in the last five years made any announcements at E3?

PSO II - How about that for  a game 1st announced  at E3 and yet no sign of the project for western PC or Vista's

Funny because when i mentioned that you said it doesn't make a difference now all of a sudden it does

I never said that at all , so don't come it .

So was the two PSPortable games

Sorry while they sold good numbers , its nothing to what Moster Hunter have sold on the Handhelds

they didn't debut at E3

Sorry they did - Not 1st announced , or the 1st time screen shots were shown to the press. But the 1st time for those games to be shown off running on XBox hardware.

Consumer not the company entire

There's also been at least 2 times when the whole of the SEGA group have posted a loss . 2008 I think was bad year for SEGA

Still sega isn't it? SENGOKU TAISEN is new this gen

Yes a SEGA game that 1st came out in 2005 and where I guess if you lived in Japan and we fluent in Japanese it might mean something to people otherwise I doubt it means anything to people here given the lack of Arcades or a home translation for the west .

No you said they haven't released anything decent

PSO 2 and Binary Domain, Sonic Gen/Colours  say otherwise . I'll say again SEGA make the odd magic title here , The Sonic Team have some good plans but SEGA need to do far better and up its game .

Yawn the point is sega holds the rights

And yet everyone credits Treasure for making Gunstar Heroes or Guardian Heroes. In just the same way SEGA fans will always give credit to Lobotomy for Duke and Quake on the Saturn, SEGA for final Fight on the Mega CD  even if they were the IP holders  and they just handed developed/ported the games.

Didn't you just say Sega should make western games

Games with an eye to the West, Multi platform  and with On-line - That's how you're make money this gen and by all account next gen too.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2013, 10:51:48 am »
ROJM, your constantly insulting tone towards TA has been wearing thin for a while.  You guys want to debate about obscure details, that's fine, but generally TA is able to do so without resorting to the kinds of personal insults you revel in.  And now you're basically insulting everyone, saying that everyone else here is an uneducated Sonic fan? What is your freaking problem, man?
Your banal posts has been wearing thin for a while too. Here's a tip. Why don't you read the beginning of when this "debate" started before you start jumping to your hero's defense. I didn't start any insults. As for the sonic comment i didn't say everyone either. So don't make out otherwise. But then again the uneducated comment was correct in your case.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:05:52 am by ROJM »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2013, 10:56:55 am »
ST took over UGA and with that a few of the UGA staff left .

When exactly? That title was always Yuji Naka's project to deal with.

PSO II - How about that for  a game 1st announced  at E3 and yet no sign of the project for western PC or Vista's

One game doesn't make E3, try again.

I never said that at all , so don't come it .

You did actually.

Sorry while they sold good numbers , its nothing to what Moster Hunter have sold on the Handhelds
Oh now it doesn't count. PSO portable sold STRONG numbers not good numbers.

Sorry they did - Not 1st announced , or the 1st time screen shots were shown to the press. But the 1st time for those games to be shown off running on XBox hardware.
Wrong, E3 was when the game was playable  not first shown.

There's also been at least 2 times when the whole of the SEGA group have posted a loss . 2008 I think was bad year for SEGA
Only 2? You just made out that they have been suffering for the last five years.

Yes a SEGA game that 1st came out in 2005 and where I guess if you lived in Japan and we fluent in Japanese it might mean something to people otherwise I doubt it means anything to people here given the lack of Arcades or a home translation for the west .
SENGOKU TAISEN came out in 2011 not 2005. What a joke, LOL.

PSO 2 and Binary Domain, Sonic Gen/Colours  say otherwise . I'll say again SEGA make the odd magic title here , The Sonic Team have some good plans but SEGA need to do far better and up its game .
Better yes, but they have come up with the goods which you keep insisting they haven't.

And yet everyone credits Treasure for making Gunstar Heroes or Guardian Heroes. In just the same way SEGA fans will always give credit to Lobotomy for Duke and Quake on the Saturn, SEGA for final Fight on the Mega CD  even if they were the IP holders  and they just handed developed/ported the games.

No one saying they shouldn't give credit. The point is those games are owned by Sega. because the comments you will get is "Oh remember that sega game called GUNSTAR HEROES by Treasure?" And so on. So better luck next time. Keep throwing in Final Fight and other stupid examples. Like i said your fans will believe you but that isn't even a comparison. It doesn't change the reality of Sega owning the game and the characters of BAYONETTA.

Games with an eye to the West, Multi platform  and with On-line - That's how you're make money this gen and by all account next gen too.
Back to the west again now is it. I thought you wanted them to have international appeal. Make your mind up.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:01:02 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2013, 11:28:26 am »
When exactly

I think it was in EDGE mag that they confirmed UGA secret game was to be Astro Boy.

One game doesn't make E3

I answered you question and in the last 5 years PSO II was 1st announced and revealed at E3 , that's all.

You did actually

Nope, sorry.

Oh now it doesn't count. PSO portable sold STRONG numbers not good numbers

Never said they didn't count . Just saying since you want o bring up mobile platform ; That Capcom Monster Hunter is bigger than anything SEGA put on mobile.

Only 2? You just made out that they have been suffering for the last five years

2 times more than you ever accepted and sorry its not just for the past 5 years . I've been saying since for longer that SEGA consuer Teams need to do better - since they've made little profit since Sammy took them over in 2004 .

SENGOKU TAISEN came out in 2011 not 2005.

Go here...  http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=730

And so on. So better luck next time. Keep throwing in Final Fight and other stupid examples

? SEGA made Final Fight for the Mega CD and every though they aren't the IP holders every SEGA fans give SOJ credit for brilliant work; just like they do for MD ports of Strider, Ghost N Ghouls and every MD fan knows and gives credit to treasure for Gunstar Heroes. 

but they have come up with the goods which you keep insisting they haven

Well other than Sonic this year SEGA haven't  SEGA had weak showing and seems to have nothing ready for the next gen - that's the issue what SEGA been up to for the last few years on the consoles .

Back to the west again now is it.

The fact of the matter is the USA is where you make the money on the consoles these days . So like it or not you have to cater for the West and SOJ needs to do far better on that score.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2013, 12:33:35 pm »
Wait I though PSO2 was announced at Pax East, not E3.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2013, 12:47:23 pm »
I was actually under the impression that Astro Boy was a UGA game prior to the merger, and that part of the games failure had to do with most of the team leaving after UGA was gobbled up. Regardless, the game was abysmal. GameInformer compared it (negatively) to Gex for Christ sake. It was unfinished, rushed, whatever you want. It should never have been released, and was probably the worst game Sonic Team or UGA had made up to that point. Regardless of the rationale, that game was unforgivably bad.

Monster Hunter is certainly successful on mobile, but Phantasy Star Portable has also been phenonemally successful for that series. PSP outsold PSO by what, three to one, in Japan? It's also, I imagine, a big reason why Sega has really started churning out Phantasy Star games on a regular basis. Some have actually looked good.

On the topic of Sega and Capcom on mobile, Sega also releases a lot more on mobile than Capcom does, unless I'm mistaken (and very well could be). They aren't as desperate for big hits; lots of small ones. It's a less risky strategy.

Sega's consumer division hasn't made much profit since 2004, but they weren't making any prior, since what, 1996? They do need to do better, though.

As for not making new franchises, you're sort of right. Generally, it seems, the new franchises are gobbled up to ensure success. Fifth Phantom Saga being absorbed into Sonic 06 is a prime example. I wouldnt be surprised if Yakuza Kenzan started as a new IP that became a Yakuza game; same with Of the End. Psi Phi fizzled out, Sega Race TV was released. Feel the Magic was fun, and new. BorderBreak, as has been mentioned, is a great and successful game. Rhythm Thief was solid. Project Diva has obviously been a success.

We don't know they have nothing ready for next gen. That's a bit presumptuous. I tend to suspect they'll be showing more stuff off later in the year, like Germany and Tokyo. Virtua Fighter 6 and Yakuza are both fairly likely, I would say.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2013, 05:49:36 pm »
I wouldnt be surprised if Yakuza Kenzan started as a new IP that became a Yakuza game; same with Of the End.

That's an interesting theory, but based on what Nagoshi has said, he always intended for there to be alternate-universe Yakuza side stories.  But I think Yakuza Team did use Of the End as an opportunity to prepare and test out certain ideas that were later implemented into Binary Domain.

As for upcoming shows, hasn't it been the case in recent years that Sega makes most of their announcements outside of trade shows?

Offline Centrale

« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2013, 05:55:27 pm »
Your banal posts has been wearing thin for a while too. Here's a tip. Why don't you read the beginning of when this "debate" started before you start jumping to your hero's defense. I didn't start any insults. As for the sonic comment i didn't say everyone either. So don't make out otherwise. But then again the uneducated comment was correct in your case.

Your entire perception of this situation is inaccurate, ROJM.  No one here is a "fan" of either you or TA, nor of any other forum regulars.  In fact, if you'd take time to notice, the lengthy debates between you and TA are generally ignored until they completely clog up threads that had previously been healthy, interesting and mature discussions. You seem to feel justified that "he started it" but it reflects poorly on your maturity nevertheless to continue to resort to personal insults.  I'm not going to continue to respond to your jibes, so just let your opinions stand on their own without the schoolyard antics.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:01:25 pm by Centrale »

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2013, 09:43:00 pm »
That's an interesting theory, but based on what Nagoshi has said, he always intended for there to be alternate-universe Yakuza side stories.  But I think Yakuza Team did use Of the End as an opportunity to prepare and test out certain ideas that were later implemented into Binary Domain.

As for upcoming shows, hasn't it been the case in recent years that Sega makes most of their announcements outside of trade shows?

It's certainly possible. I'm just skeptical. It seems much more plausible to me that they made a game demoing PS3 tech that became mature enough to show off. Yakuza had relatively recently become Sega's most successful IP in Japan since Sakura Taisen, and Virtua Fighter 5 was just a giant flop in the Japanese console market. Makes since to drop the new IP and convert to a more established brand to prevent another embarrassment.

This may sound a bit contradictory to what I just said, but I think Yakuza and Virtua Fighter would be the sort still announced at a show. MS has been pushing exclusives hard. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony pushed VF and Yakuza at TGS as a sort of counterblow. Virtua Fighter can still draw a crowd and Yakuza is one of the most consistent sellers in Japan. Sega also probably has a next gen cabinet on its way out the door and VF would be the most obvious (to me) show horse. It's also VF's 20th birthday, and Sega loves birthdays.

At least, that's how I'm looking at it.

As for the Yakuza side games, I thought he was referencing games like Black Panther or whatever it's called. There certainly hasn't been much follow up to Kenzan.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:44:40 pm by jonboy101 »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2013, 04:31:28 am »
Wait I though PSO2 was announced at Pax East, not E3.

E3 1st though it wasn't much of a trailer - no game footage and I don't think any system mentioned just short trailer saying it was coming soon.

I wouldnt be surprised if Yakuza Kenzan started as a new IP that became a Yakuza game

That does happen with many games , but with Kenzan that game actually started life out as a PS2 but it was always meant to be Yakuza game  I think .

I was actually under the impression that Astro Boy was a UGA game prior to the merger, and that part of the games failure had to do with most of the team leaving after UGA was gobbled up

Yes that was my impression too

Monster Hunter is certainly successful on mobile, but Phantasy Star Portable has also been phenonemally successful for that series

Yes PSO sold well but Monster Hunter has sold better on the PSP and sold great on the DS too. I'll expect MH 4 to be another smash .

Sega's consumer division hasn't made much profit since 2004, but they weren't making any prior, since what, 1996? They do need to do better, though

They did break even in 2002 I think . But its madness that the consumer Teams have been doing so poor for so many years . They really need to sort it out and that to me is only done by making Muti platform games and more with an eye to the West ;SEGA needs more IP that can sell millions of copies

Virtua Fighter can still draw a crowd and Yakuza is one of the most consistent sellers in Japan. Sega also probably has a next gen cabinet on its way out the door and VF would be the most obvious (to me) show horse. It's also VF's 20th birthday, and Sega loves birthdays.

VF can still make money in the Arcades in the home its sadly a different story where the series is outsold by Tekken and even DOA 5 (I think) and even VF 5 failed to make the sort of money for SEGA than VF 4 did ; I'm sure VF  will be great though . Yakuza is a decent seller but that's all it is the series has sold around the same number of copies for years now and a single game on the PS3 has never broke the million sold barrier and where as other corps will make up sales in the West , Yakuza just doesn't sell well overhere.  SEGA Japan needs a few more major IP that can sell well in Japan and the west and ones that can break the million sold barrier if their Teams are to make profits on any sort of consistence level
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:33:36 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is