Author Topic: Sony Asia Conference for 9/9  (Read 25481 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Sony Asia Conference for 9/9
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 07:07:05 am »
It's hard to get excited when any hardly gameplay is shown.  The only real new footage showcased was for DeepDown, which for all intents and purposes looks like the poor man's dark souls.  I'm still scratching my head about what Lily Bergamo even is.

I am excited about Nova though, which is definitely something.  I really hope it delivers given how burnt PSO2 left me.  The vita TV is a neat idea as well. 

Different people have different preference, you may not be impressed with Deep Down (Which I should mention, outside of being medieval, has nothing common with Dark Souls) and I'm not be particularly interested in it, but it has had a strong enough impact that has gripped a lot of people's interest. Whilst we have yet to see gameplay, many people are welcoming to the pedigree of both Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and Grasshopper to be hyped for whatever they have announced. It's the same with people being interested in Phantasy Star Nova.

As I mentioned though, this was not a key conference for any of us, it was designed to suit the Japanese market evident by the fact they showcased visual novels and idol simulators. That they have a strong lineup over there shows you how prepared Sony is coming into this generation as opposed to last generation. I would also imagine most of the gameplay was withheld due to the Tokyo Game Show only being two weeks away.

Seriously ?  SONY showed off little of any games actually running on the PS4 in terms of Software ready for launch MS is way out in front and SEGA shows off one game that looks last gen and that's won the war too ?
The PS4 has gone from kicking the XBox One ass in E3 to know being 2nd best in terms of launch software and games worth getting .

It's not debatable anymore at this point which console is going to dominate this Christmas period.

And I am sure CrazyTails is talking about Sony's collective approach coming into the eighth generation rather than solely this presentation which was aimed first and foremost for the Japanese market.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 09:49:57 am »
I've read that PS Vita TV has sold out of pre-orders on Amazon Japan. That's pretty amazing. I didn't think PS Vita TV would be so popular in Japan. I thought consoles were dead there, but maybe Sony just had the perfect idea that's going to catch on in Japan.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 10:05:50 am »
I think this may also put vita in a much better position over here in the west. Maybe if/when this cheap console finds it apeal, we´ll see games like phantasy star nova localized much sooner

Getting a device just for one game isn't my thing at all, but I can see myself getting the vita tv used, only for some games. Seeing as it'll already be cheap, I can't imagine how affordable it'll be used by then.

Edit: found this at bumped

Please let this be good
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:07:42 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 10:26:43 am »
It's not debatable anymore at this point which console is going to dominate this Christmas period.

??? Its still all to play and fight far . After getting a sound kicking at E3 MS have really thought back and come out fighting with a better launch line up and sweeteners like FIFA or Froza 5 with day 1 models . Its now SONY on the back foot in the West .

solely this presentation which was aimed first and foremost for the Japanese market.

And other than some nice Vita stuff it was a shit for SONY and the PS4 - With next to no games shown off and a lauch months away in its own domestic market and imo Yakuza 4 didn't look that great in the GFX stakes ; so much so that it's hard to know what platform it was meant to running on 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 10:47:20 am »
I'm not getting this "game over! go home X1! PS4 has won the holiday season!"

I mean, I'm not debating that PS4 had a more consistent message that registered positively with gamers, but to think that there is no debate to be had and that PS4 has won the holiday season is really jumping the gun.

I'm going to wait and see how the holiday season plays out before making any "there is no debate" comments.

---

I'm curious, should PS4 sell more units than X1 following the Christmas season, does that even mean that X1 has lost? I mean, I equate "losing" in the console war to how well the company itself does, not "their total number is less than the competition". Dreamcast was a loss, I can't see Sony or MS "losing" in that sense. If both end up making a profit and have a large install base, then both Sony and MS could "win" even if one has more users than another. There's just too many factors involved to call a clear winner anymore. One could dominate on one region while the other could dominate in another.

At most, I could see Nintendo losing in the console war at this point. If it ended up being that Wii U is Nintendo's final console, I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 11:06:10 am »
Microsoft has no chance in Japan, so PlayStation winning there is a given. The Japanese just don't like the XBOX brand.

Microsoft has won America with the power of NFL and Call of Duty.

Europe could go either way.

certainly be interesting to see how things go.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 11:14:55 am »
Microsoft has no chance in Japan, so PlayStation winning there is a given. The Japanese just don't like the XBOX brand.

If you take the console with the most sales as "winning", here in Europe the PS4 has three to four as many pre-orders as the Xbox One.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 11:32:47 am »

Nither the PS4 or XBox 1 is launching in Japan this year , which just says its all and really why SOJ need to get a grip and start trying to make IP that can work world wide imo.

Well said . Its really still up in the air at the moment
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 11:34:17 am »
If you take the console with the most sales as "winning", here in Europe the PS4 has three to four as many pre-orders as the Xbox One.

I think that's old data and one shouldn't read too much into Pre Orders . Cube had more pre orders and a far better launch the the XBox and yet XBox won the day . Its always about games, retail and 3rd party support
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 02:49:51 pm »
Nither the PS4 or XBox 1 is launching in Japan this year , which just says its all and really why SOJ need to get a grip and start trying to make IP that can work world wide imo.

Well said . Its really still up in the air at the moment

Yeah, Sony admitted a while ago in an interview that PlayStation 4 is aimed at the west because that is where the battle for next gen is. Consoles seem to be pretty dead in Japan, that is why they are pushing Vita so hard. I'm surprised to see Vita TV get such a positive reception... always seemed like a console to me

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 03:40:16 pm »

PS4 has about double the pre-orders of the XBone. Double. Hell, my own Wal-Mart put up pre-orders for both systems two weeks ago. We are sold out of both systems, controllers and games for PS4 while the only thing to sell out for X-Box One is Ryse. We still have plenty of system pre-orders left.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 04:42:53 pm »

Or with Sony's help.

At least that's what the rumors are saying...

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 05:55:03 pm »
??? Its still all to play and fight far . After getting a sound kicking at E3 MS have really thought back and come out fighting with a better launch line up and sweeteners like FIFA or Froza 5 with day 1 models . Its now SONY on the back foot in the West .

For the rest of the eighth generation? Sure, for Christmas? No, the Playstation 4 has already won.

Microsoft has come back fighting, I will agree to that, yet the Playstation 4 continues to outsell it, it still holds more preorders than the Xbox One in any major territories. This includes America and the UK, which in the seventh generation, the Xbox 360 held an unassailable lead.

And other than some nice Vita stuff it was a shit for SONY and the PS4 - With next to no games shown off and a lauch months away in its own domestic market and imo Yakuza 4 didn't look that great in the GFX stakes ; so much so that it's hard to know what platform it was meant to running on 

Again, this presentation was not for you, the western, but for Japanese gamers.

You are not interested in Yakuza, they are. You are not interested in Dynasty Warriors, they are. The fact you are basing your opinion on graphics shows how far apart you are from the typical Japanese gamer.

And finally I will add what has been said before, this is not the main event but merely the preshow to the Tokyo Game Show.

I mean, I'm not debating that PS4 had a more consistent message that registered positively with gamers, but to think that there is no debate to be had and that PS4 has won the holiday season is really jumping the gun.

I'm going to wait and see how the holiday season plays out before making any "there is no debate" comments.

Preorders are higher for the Playstation 4, so much so that Sony confidently told us they had over a million preorders at Gamescom. That would mean they are more than likely to have more consoles sold than on the launch week of the Playstation 3.

They have also gone on record to say this has been their most requested console in their history of the business. By all means it is fair to say that the eighth generation is yet to be decided, however the Christmas period has already been settled barring some miraculous turn around.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 08:51:14 pm »
Again, this presentation was not for you, the western, but for Japanese gamers.

This doesn't make sense.  Almost all I play are japanese games.  You really think they're excited to see Dynasty Warriors again?  Or a 5 second trailer for a generic Gundam game?  Or 5 minutes of deep down footage that made no sense?  Or a cutscene from yakuza that had no gameplay?  Or freaking KNACK?? Just because they're Japanese doesn't mean they have no meter of quality.  Also, who are you to judge it went fantastically if we as western audience members have no gauge of what they're looking for over there?

I probably own more PS3 games than I do for any modern console but I don't think it was a very good presentation by any standard.   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:52:45 pm by Radrappy »

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 10:48:21 pm »
This doesn't make sense.  Almost all I play are japanese games.  You really think they're excited to see Dynasty Warriors again?  Or a 5 second trailer for a generic Gundam game?  Or 5 minutes of deep down footage that made no sense?  Or a cutscene from yakuza that had no gameplay?  Or freaking KNACK?? Just because they're Japanese doesn't mean they have no meter of quality. 

They definitely liked it, cannot blame them, Yakuza and Phantasy Star are big IP in Japan.

I liked the show, Vita TV was cool as hell. I was considering getting one for my monitor but need to figure the audio out. Very cool little device, shame about the touch screen games though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:51:14 pm by TaroYamada »