Author Topic: Rhythm Thief and the Paris Caper - problems  (Read 6761 times)

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
Rhythm Thief and the Paris Caper - problems
« on: January 10, 2014, 04:35:27 pm »
A new version of the 2012 3DS game Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure was released for iOS devices recently, under the name Rhythm Thief and the Paris Caper. I don't have access to an iOS device of my own, but as I understand it the iOS iteration features the same minigames but radically overhauls several gameplay concepts - some of which is covered in the newspost SegaBITS already has up. The game also requires you to be always online for proper saving functionality.

Or it did, for the time that it was available. It appears that it's caught the attention of either Sega or Apple or whomever that the game was released in a not completely functional state. Check out this thread for some of the experiences.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748595

There's a maintenance notice now on the App Store page for the game.

■Maintenance Notice■
Valued customers,
RHYTHM THIEF& THE PARIS CAPER is currently undergoing urgent maintenance and will resume service as soon as maintenance is completed.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

In other news, apparently there is no voice acting or no animated cutscenes =0

----

edit:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/01/segas-rhythm-thief-the-paris-caper-dances-its-way-back-to-the-app-store

Apparently, the issue has been fixed, if only partially. While Rhythm Thief & The Paris Caper has been restored to the App Store, some players who have downloaded the game may encounter a maintenance notice and not be able to go beyond the title screen.
Either way, Rhythm Thief & The Paris Caper is back and available in the App Store for $9.99. It’s compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 6.0 or later.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:25:51 pm by inthesky »
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: Rhythm Thief and the Paris Caper - problems
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:39:58 pm »
Nope. All text and stills. It's disappointing. Looks kind of awkward...

Offline Bartman3010

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 01:36:45 am »
That's a shame, although I'd like to get a physical version of Rhythm Thief on the 3DS, but that's apparently becoming increasingly hard to find now.

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:06:58 am »
It's on the App Store again. Sort of funny to think now that when Rhythm Thief first came out, it was being peddled at $30 so that retailers could throw it away. I just checked on Amazon, and new copies are $100+

=0

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:32:34 am »
Yeah, 3DS version went up fast! Glad I bought it new!

As for the iOS version, I've just received a review copy from SEGA, so expect a review to appear next week on the front page.

Offline JetSetRadioForever

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:49 pm »
I picked it up new on day one. Amazing it's almost out 2 years now.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 06:25:00 pm »
Thus far, while I do appreciate the differing gameplay style which makes it different from the 3DS version, it isn't as good as the 3DS version. Static cutscenes, lack of Paris map, and a cliff notes version of the 3DS game's plot take away much of the charm of the original game. Rhythm games are pretty close to the 3DS versions, however, and they come just as frequently. Except instead of cutscenes and puzzles between the music segments, its leveling up companions and walking across simplistic game boards.

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 11:51:15 pm »
Hmm, interesting. As someone who won't be playing Paris Caper due to lack of an iOS device, I'll be looking forward to the review.