Author Topic: New Yakuza  (Read 266912 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: New Yakuza
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 03:48:07 am »
Why wouldn't you be happy making a long running game series? Honestly, the only thing I'm a bit pissed about is that its cross gen and not a real next generation game. Meaning still using a damn aging engine. Its bad when the Yakuza engine wasn't even up to PS3 standards.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 06:04:30 am »
Sega..2010...releasing Sonic, Yakuza... Mixture of original second party games First party games,original western games,acquired games and games living off their past...

Sega 2014...Sonic,Yakuza... acquired games and games living off their past..

Sega..2020...The Sonic and Yakuza show....

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 08:44:11 am »
To be honest, the last yakuza I played was 3 and I didn't finish it cause I thought it was boring.. Not sure if I missed anything with 4.

Yakuza 4 has more straight up action than Yakuza 3. Yakuza 3 is focusing on Kiryu's retirement from organized crime and how he's slowly dragged back into it, the payoff is much much better than Yakuza 4 but it takes it's time to get there.

I know you're not being entirely serious here, but you also get paid picking fruit off of trees, lol.

And their dream job of making video games can also apply to shovelware like Ninjabread or Superman 64.

Anyway I'm assuming that most game developers are creatives who want to stretch their wings a little. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd think that working on the same thing every year (no matter what thing) would get tiring. Not even just being specifically about Yakuza.

They get paid significantly more for developing video games than picking fruits. I'm not sure how shovel ware is comparable to Yakuza but okay.

And I'm not sure about the slant against "Creatives" because they might enjoy working on their favoured niche.

Why wouldn't you be happy making a long running game series? Honestly, the only thing I'm a bit pissed about is that its cross gen and not a real next generation game. Meaning still using a damn aging engine. Its bad when the Yakuza engine wasn't even up to PS3 standards.

Really worried about the long term viability of consoles in Japan, think even if the PS4 picks up it would be too late to stop the mobile gaming takeover.

Sega..2010...releasing Sonic, Yakuza... Mixture of original second party games First party games,original western games,acquired games and games living off their past...

Sega 2014...Sonic,Yakuza... acquired games and games living off their past..

Sega..2020...The Sonic and Yakuza show....

Joe pls, stop being silly.

By 2020 Yakuza would have been retired and we'd have Kingdom Conquest 6 and Chain Chronicle 4. Please be excited.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 12:06:05 pm »

By 2020 Yakuza would have been retired and
we'd have Kingdom Conquest 6 and Chain Chronicle 4. Please be excited.
::)
Remember were talking about Sega here...a company that has milked Sonic for all his worth instead of taking him to the vet and putting him out of his misery years ago. They'll be making YAKUZA way after Kiryu's a pensioner or worse when he's dead...

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 12:25:02 pm »
Yakuza 4 has more straight up action than Yakuza 3. Yakuza 3 is focusing on Kiryu's retirement from organized crime and how he's slowly dragged back into it, the payoff is much much better than Yakuza 4 but it takes it's time to get there.

They get paid significantly more for developing video games than picking fruits. I'm not sure how shovel ware is comparable to Yakuza but okay.

And I'm not sure about the slant against "Creatives" because they might enjoy working on their favoured niche.

Really worried about the long term viability of consoles in Japan, think even if the PS4 picks up it would be too late to stop the mobile gaming takeover.

By 2020 Yakuza would have been retired and we'd have Kingdom Conquest 6 and Chain Chronicle 4. Please be excited.

How long did it take to actually get any good? I just got sick and tired of dealing with little kid day care issue..

I honestly have no issue with this series going on still. It's better than having it fall on it's face and people losing jobs. If it's profitable for Sega, then keep it going.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline ROJM

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 12:29:48 pm »
How long did it take to actually get any good? I just got sick and tired of dealing with little kid day care issue..

I honestly have no issue with this series going on still. It's better than having it fall on it's face and people losing jobs. If it's profitable for Sega, then keep it going.
I'd say the first game without a doubt was the best in the series, followed by 2 and three. After that it got too bloated and overcrowded....
Its funny how Nagoshi has become a victim of his own success. He can't get a new game off the ground but is stuck making Yakuza games..

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 12:54:53 pm »
Its funny how Nagoshi has become a victim of his own success. He can't get a new game off the ground but is stuck making Yakuza games..

Nagoshi-san is part of the trouble , he himself have blocked many a new game idea .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 08:13:06 pm »

Actually most game developers don't make a ton of money, dude. Unless you're the lead creatives of a studio or something, you're not making a ton. Picking fruit is making a point but yeah generally speaking, most programmers, artists, etc. (hell even writers) don't necessarily make a ton of money.

Shovelware is again, me making a point. You say they should be happy simply to be working on a game. Well, why not make shovelware? They'd still fulfill their dream of making a game.

I'm not sure why you're surprised. Yakuza has always been behind the times graphically. Yakuza's PS3 engine, like you said. was behind the PS3 standards and I don't see why that would change, even if it weren't cross-gen.

And I'd like to work on a long-running series like Final Fantasy, which gets to re-invent itself each time. Otherwise...eh, not particularly, nah. I'd like working on something new at some point.

Nagoshi has become Sega's Chief Creative Officer, lol.....he's pretty much totally in charge of the company's output.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 09:33:54 pm »
Actually most game developers don't make a ton of money, dude. Unless you're the lead creatives of a studio or something, you're not making a ton. Picking fruit is making a point but yeah generally speaking, most programmers, artists, etc. (hell even writers) don't necessarily make a ton of money.

Shovelware is again, me making a point. You say they should be happy simply to be working on a game. Well, why not make shovelware? They'd still fulfill their dream of making a game.

The average wage for a developer in America is close to $80k, the average wage for a Japanese developer is close to $60k, well above both countries Per capita. These are not low paying jobs.

Though I'm not sure why you pick on those select points to make a counter point that have nothing in common with Yakuza.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 04:06:40 am »

Nagoshi has become Sega's Chief Creative Officer, lol.....he's pretty much totally in charge of the company's output.

I wish some sega fans actually paid attention to the company's corporate history...
So was Naka put in an high important position. As was Suzuki...and their game output suffered for it.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 11:41:36 am »
So was Naka put in an high important position. As was Suzuki...and their game output suffered for it

That was in 2003/4 when Naka-san and Nagoshi-san called the shots on what games were greenlite . Tbh while SEGA output wasn't the best due to money issues , its was still a hell of lot better than it is now .

Yu-Suzuki-san never called the shots on what games were greenlite - other than being on the board of the Dreamcast members . Nagoshi-san still has a say on the games at SEGA and is part of the trouble
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 12:33:56 pm »

That was in 2003/4 when Naka-san and Nagoshi-san called the shots on what games were greenlite . Tbh while SEGA output wasn't the best due to money issues , its was still a hell of lot better than it is now .

Yu-Suzuki-san never called the shots on what games were greenlite - other than being on the board of the Dreamcast members . Nagoshi-san still has a say on the games at SEGA and is part of the trouble

I said important posistions, i didn't say if they called the shots on what was released. POINT is their game output did suffer when they got executive roles..

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 02:18:39 pm »

What makes you say that? if you don't mind me asking.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 10:47:06 pm »
Though I'm not sure why you pick on those select points to make a counter point that have nothing in common with Yakuza.

I'm countering the point you made that artists should be okay making the same game over and over again because "they're being paid" and "they're making games."

I said that I'd think most artists would look for more than that.

I wish some sega fans actually paid attention to the company's corporate history...
So was Naka put in an high important position. As was Suzuki...and their game output suffered for it.

Was Naka the Chief Creative Officer? That's a pretty major position.

I said important posistions, i didn't say if they called the shots on what was released. POINT is their game output did suffer when they got executive roles..

But that's what was argued; someone said that he is "stuck" making Yakuza games. I pointed out that Nagoshi's actually in the position where he can choose his projects. He chooses to make the Yakuza games.

What makes you say that? if you don't mind me asking.

Though it's hard to say exactly how these decisions are made, I think it's pretty safe to say that as Sega's Chief Creative Officer, Nagoshi has a say in the types of games Sega puts out.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 11:26:56 pm »
I'm countering the point you made that artists should be okay making the same game over and over again because "they're being paid" and "they're making games."

I said that I'd think most artists would look for more than that.

You can't really counter it like that and ignore all the other points. And picking fruits is not the same as working in a well paid job nor is Yakuza a shovel ware title.