Author Topic: 15 years on...time for a new Sega system?  (Read 28971 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
15 years on...time for a new Sega system?
« on: September 08, 2014, 11:32:41 am »
Dreamcast will soon be 15 years old....and since 2001..its been almost 13 years when Sega abandoned first party consoles...
And while we have been excited and disapointed in Sega's second run as a third party..we can all agree that most of the games really don't come close to when they were developing and designing games for their own systems. Considering that Sega has various studios and companies at its disposal..more than they had before...isn't it about time they made a comeback to consoles?

Even though i know why they won't..the facts are plain that Sega just isn't cutting it as a third party in terms of what they built their reputation on. To many people nowadays there games are either represented by acquired game studios or cheap digital titles..all making a decent profit but not something that would really make a person a fan of the company since those titles are not unique enough to stand out as a collective. Unlike their past glories like SHINOBI, VIRTUA FIGHTER, NIGHTS and countless others...

A new system would defiantly help sort out one fundamental problem...Sega games coming out on a regular basis and localized games of certain titles and more arcade ports..three factors that are noticeably absent (so far) this year..or in the majority of their run as a third party.

It seems that the company hasn't adjusted from the fall out of the DC and being a first party console developer in general. 13 years in and there is no coincidence that many of the games released are not up to par to what many(of sega fans that a left..a few)are accustomed to. The best games on the best console.

Do you think that SOJ's fire could be re ignited if they had a system to call their own? Do you think the first party SOJ has had trouble adjusting from what they were?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: 15 years on...time for a new Sega system?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:39:40 am »
Better to keep releasing mobile phone skinner boxes IMO.

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:29:35 pm »
A console would be a bad idea right now. The market cannot sustain Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and Sega, along with the PC. If MS ever dropped it, or Sony ran out of cash, then worth a look again.

A handheld, however, may be worth looking at. Nintendo has sold 35 million 3DS units, with 2 brand new models on their way out. The idea that hand held gaming is dead is silly. Sony screwed up both of their handhelds though, and I cannot see a third. May be an opening.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:45:54 pm »
A console will not in any way fix Sega's problems.

Sega continued to produce great games post dreamcast. Sega doesn't produce many great Sega games now for 2 reasons:

1. They didn't sell.
2. Sammy Drove the creative talent away from the company.

Simple as that. A new console will not fix this.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 03:34:13 pm »
A console will not in any way fix Sega's problems.

Sega continued to produce great games post dreamcast. Sega doesn't produce many great Sega games now for 2 reasons:

1. They didn't sell.
2. Sammy Drove the creative talent away from the company.

Simple as that. A new console will not fix this.

They didn't continue to produce great games..that's the problem. Their titles as a third party compared to their titles as a first party console developer PALES in comparison. Only two or three titles are close to Sega's games on their consoles. Simple as that.Jack.

Anyhow the question is hypothetical...i know the reasons why Sega wouldn't create a new system..i recently was arguing that fact on another topic.

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 06:58:19 pm »
If anyone isn't pleased with their 3rd party efforts, what would that mean for a new 1st party revival where they have more pressure?

That said, I would like another console but really rather see Sega in top shape more.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:54:17 pm »
https://astortheatreblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/soylent_geekinsider.jpg

I think that image should sum up my thoughts...I do see a way of a comeback

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 09:59:54 am »
I think Sega needs to get their shit straight before releasing Hardware. With the amount of competition there is with Sony, Nintendo, and MS. I don't think Sega would last very long in the hardware business, they'd be better off working together with one of those companies instead. I would love to see Nintendo and Sega develop a console together.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 10:09:01 am »
More details answer, I think we're more likely to see players dropping out of consoles instead of newcomers getting into it. I feel like it's a dying platform for gaming with more people moving to PC or tablets/phones.

The only way I would like to see Sega try this is do something really different. Release a console that only costs like $30 or something and sell games that are $5. Even then, I could see it going the way of the Ouya.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 10:15:20 am »
More details answer, I think we're more likely to see players dropping out of consoles instead of newcomers getting into it. I feel like it's a dying platform for gaming with more people moving to PC or tablets/phones.

The only way I would like to see Sega try this is do something really different. Release a console that only costs like $30 or something and sell games that are $5. Even then, I could see it going the way of the Ouya.

Yes that's how i see it too.

Especially what's happening

PC Smartphones and Vita. This is effectively how they would have approached a big game traditionally except it would be on consoles rather than smartphones. As i mentioned numerous times SOJ is going this route because its economical sense for them to do so...cheap...no real outside costs and maxium profits from sales of the game and the elements usually involved in these type of games. Big because the producer of this game is Shinji Motoyama,of Valkyria Chronicles fame with Character design is being handled by Katsumi Enami.In saying that this game probably costs more than the average digital game they produce..perhaps close to PSO2 levels. Regardless this is a sign of intent on Sega's part that their AAA titles are going this route.

Here's a link..
http://gematsu.com/2014/09/sega-announces-online-theater-rpg-world-end-eclipse-ps-vita-smartphones-pc#4q5TTmdcapkfLwVD.99

And it will probably not be released in the west either. I think a system like Ouya or a partnership would sort th problems out because it easily could be a focus for all their titles old and new to be released on a digital content system and it wouldn't necessary be seen as direct competition to the console providers so they could technically still make games on other systems and just have this at the side. But that is a pipe dream...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:30:03 am by ROJM »

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:23:25 am »
The talk of console gaming  being dead reminds me of when the 3DS struggled initially. The feeling was mobile gaming had killed it's appeal. 35 million 3DS units sold later and that opinion seems like it was massively premature. Also similar to previous years when new consoles launched and the talk would be of PC gaming being finished because consoles were more powerful. Cut to 6 months later and a new generation of cards meant the PCs were killing the consoles for power again.

I could see Sony dropping out due to the severe financial issues they have. I could also see Microsoft's new CEO loosing interest in the Xbox as a gaming platform, instead moving to more of a rival to Apple TV.

If either of those happened. then I would love Sega to step in. There's no risk of consoles going away any time soon. You will always have a sizable group of people who want to play proper games without having to bother with a PC. Tablets and phones cannot provide that. They merely provide a time waster.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 04:56:06 am »
It seems that the company hasn't adjusted from the fall out of the DC and being a first party console developer in general. 13 years in and there is no coincidence that many of the games released are not up to par to what many(of sega fans that a left..a few)are accustomed to. The best games on the best console.

SEGA got off to a great start as a 3rd party developers but it didn't get the sales it was hopping far and then had to fight a nasty battle with Sammy to try and stay independent and since Sammy taken over it's just been a really long downslide for the company .

The big trouble is the current SEGA just isn't the old SEGA many of us grew up 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 08:01:20 am »

SEGA got off to a great start as a 3rd party developers but it didn't get the sales it was hopping far and then had to fight a nasty battle with Sammy to try and stay independent and since Sammy taken over it's just been a really long downslide for the company .

The big trouble is the current SEGA just isn't the old SEGA many of us grew up 

That depends on which era you grew up on Sega. Sega means different things to different people depending on age. I can accept that one era will eventually past and move on to the next. What one cannot accept is the lack of effort in trying to create good solid games. And really Sammy isn't the cause of this either this is always been down to SOJ management which you yourself acknowledged as the reason why several games hasn't happened even when they were in a better position to go ahead with these titles.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 12:43:54 pm »
That depends on which era you grew up on Sega.

Well not really . If you grew up with SEGA in the 80's, 90's or far the DC period you grew up with a became a fan of a very different SEGA to one we have today sadly .

And really Sammy isn't the cause of this either this is always been down to SOJ management

Sammy slashing of SEGA's R&D is very much to blame and don't go on about the SEGA board . Sammy makes sure who's appointed to run the SEGA group and has the final say. [size=78%] [/size]

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 12:48:28 pm »
Do you guys really need to do this every fucking thread?