Author Topic: Tokyo Game Show 2014: Godzilla saves TGS and revives Japan.  (Read 21109 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Tokyo Game Show 2014: Godzilla saves TGS and revives Japan.
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 09:10:47 am »
This TGS has started and ended really good. Lots of new announcements, previews, new builds and information regarding games that are coming in the end of the year and  2015.

Also, Japanese and World gaming's press representatives and gaming enthusiasts already have much expectations for this list of awarded games a.k.a "Best of TGS or Future CESA awards" that includes 2 Sega Games.
http://awards.cesa.or.jp/en/press/pdf/140921.pdf

Congrats to this event by make this last quarter of the year fantastic. :)
All that TGS showed me is that the japanese industry are running out of ideas. There is nothing on TGS that competes to the standard of games from the west that american gamers take for granted. Nothing new and nothing worth getting excited about. The thing is american /western titles are now showing signs of getting in the same creative rut that the japanese have been in for a while now.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 09:20:34 am »

This TGS tells me Japanese developers feel hyped about making console games again. Games that feel Japanese, not western. I'm really hyped about that. They seem to be banding together (thanks to Sony) to give the console industry one last shot. If they fail.. well.. at least they went out with a bang.

That is how I feel. I'm so hyped by this TGS. I'm really hopeful the Japanese industry can revive itself.

Maybe but i think its a false start like so many years when the japanese felt excited about console development..never to really deliver.
The gist is this. Without Sega the japanese game industy on console can't revirgorate themselves. Sega ws the type of company that had all the ideas and the game ideas. In turn that inspired their rivals to do similar games but make it more successful. Sega isn't doing that anymore. Preferring to create titles that will make more money with the minimal cost, no real risks leaving it to others to take and staying focused on the eastern market. The type of solid games and game art titles and the people behind them are all but gone and we have all seen the reason why they were more successful in sega than they are now because Sega had the funds and the courage/ignorance to fund these games. And that's what these guys are unable to really progress in by themselves..from Naka..to Mizuguchi to Suzuki himself. At least on a regular basis. If Sega japan got their act together and went with a full commitment on titles with proper marketing behind them and support from the subsidiaries than we can see once and for all how far they can go as a third party console developer. But they won't for various reasons. And without them to create the titles thsat would inspire their competition to outdo Sega..the japanese game industry console wise isn't long for this world...

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 08:07:17 pm »
interesting data from gaf

http://i.imgur.com/VEIPZ6M.jpg

Anyways as I said I'm quite satisfied with the show. Things will never be perfect. but they would be better if SEGA ever started localizing their games. All I know is I need a PS4 in 2015.

13 Wii U games is pathetic.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 08:10:22 pm »
Doubt it. I think japan has had its day. American development is defiantly peaking. I think its going to be a very long time until we see japanese development get to a strong position again. 20 years if at all.

I'm sure people were saying the same thing in 1988 about American developers (at least outside PC)

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 09:29:48 pm »
Yeah, but in 88 we didn't have the mobile market taking a chunk out of the console one. Japan is mainly mobile and I don't think anything is going or anyone is going to change that.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 05:41:05 am »
In 88 the console market was being revitalized. In 84 no one thought consoles would even sale in America again. My point is only that situations change.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 06:09:12 am »
I'm sure people were saying the same thing in 1988 about American developers (at least outside PC)

The difference is the market had a crash. The developers didn't run out of ideas. There's a big difference between the same old ideas but with different tech. And that's what's happening in Japan.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2014, 12:15:24 am »
Mobile gaming isn't technically a bad thing. I mean the only reason we are complaining is because phone games tend to suck due to limited budgets, limited control schemes, but the whole idea of mobile games will die out too.

I think the thing right now is that everyone has a mobile phone, everyone. While not EVERYONE has 400 dollars to spend on a PS4 or whatever console. I think paying to play a game is not the greatest business for the consumer and lots of people have seen it.

I think once technology gets cheap enough for gaming, that every run of the mill TV will have a downloadable service built in, is the day that 'gaming' gets its proper Resurrection.

Really, if everyone had a TV that could play PS4> quality games then every publisher would run and re-release their back catalog and make games based on those specs.

Arcades existed because you couldn't get that quality of games at the home, consoles delivered and they died out. Now its the mobile phone taking those consumers away. Is it because its a better experience? Not really, its a more convenient experience.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 12:17:30 am by George »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 09:20:42 am »
Mobile gaming isn't technically a bad thing. I mean the only reason we are complaining is because phone games tend to suck due to limited budgets, limited control schemes, but the whole idea of mobile games will die out too.

I think the thing right now is that everyone has a mobile phone, everyone. While not EVERYONE has 400 dollars to spend on a PS4 or whatever console. I think paying to play a game is not the greatest business for the consumer and lots of people have seen it.

I think once technology gets cheap enough for gaming, that every run of the mill TV will have a downloadable service built in, is the day that 'gaming' gets its proper Resurrection.

Really, if everyone had a TV that could play PS4> quality games then every publisher would run and re-release their back catalog and make games based on those specs.

Arcades existed because you couldn't get that quality of games at the home, consoles delivered and they died out. Now its the mobile phone taking those consumers away. Is it because its a better experience? Not really, its a more convenient experience.

The problem is that the companies involved in mobile gaming are getting huge returns for little investment on the games. And the mobile market is just a bigger market now than home consoles. Console gaming hasn't changed with the times since the MD SNES era. It still about the next machine that has a more powerful board with little bits and bobs added. That hasn't changed in the last 40 years. And it always fall on the same door that the research and development is too expensive on these systems for some companies to really get a profit when you factor in percentage to the company that made the console. The home consoles we have seen in the last decade are also stealing ideas from Sega systems..and now they've finally ran out of things to rip off Sega from and need to come up with their own ideas.And the result? A market that is shrinking by the day.
If home systems are going to compete they need to go in my opinion, the Ouya route and have the titles on a digital download route but those games make use of the system's unique power without it being too expensive for people to buy and third parties to make content for.Simply by connecting to your tv set or PC.

The days of a chunky console taking half the space of you're living room with graphics that aren't that much different to the previous gen from joe public's point of view are coming to an end. They need to adapt to what people want in this century and stop using 20th century ideas for what a console system needs to be.