Author Topic: Golden Axe - Official Thread  (Read 105391 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Re: Golden Axe - Official Thread
« Reply #285 on: May 24, 2023, 10:19:14 pm »
Storm Collectibles Golden Axe Gilius & Chicken Leg is now 48% off in Entertainment Earth Store!
Discounted Price : $70.47 (was $134.99)

From Storm Collectibles. Gilius Thunderhead is an axe wielding dwarf, who serves as one of the main protagonists in the Golden Axe franchise.
Despite his age and stature, he is one of the original warriors to rise up against Death Adder and is highly capable of commandeering a Chicken Leg monster into battle.
This fully articulated 1/12-scale action figure features full articulation, 2 interchangeable head sculpts and 3 interchangeable pairs of hands.
Also included are Gilus' Axe and Chicken Leg!

Link : https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/blfstm87189?id=SWY1219BN4
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 10:55:10 pm by Berto »

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #286 on: May 25, 2023, 09:15:11 am »
What about Beastmaster movie series? Still nothing compared to Conan but they're still passable.

I've seen the first Beastmaster movie, but not the others. by the look of the second one which is "time travel to modern times" sort of thing I think I'll give that a miss. I dunno what the third movie is like.
I'm surprised you don't GoTG since she's now more known as NEBULA as due to how popular the GoTG trilogy and the last two Avengers movies.
But yeah, she doesn't showher fabulous hair in those movies.

She's good. I'll support her for the role if that's happened.
I know she was in GotG, I just picked Ruby Roundhouse and her bikini pictures to show off her natural body and hair which I think would be a good fit for the role of Tyris Flare. Especially the fact she is a natural redhead.

As for Gilias Thunderhead, my two choices for him would either be be Andreas Cahling or Peter Dinklage.
Andreas played Thor in Kung Fury. I imagine with the same camera tricks used in LotR movies they can make him look more like a dwarf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6CMMunWB50

Peter Dinklage played Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones. While he was more sharp with his tongue than with a sword, he still shoed strength in battle his own way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7n3SKwRaPA

He was also in Avengers: Infinity War for the role of the giant Eitri.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIoqWec3KcU

Or would it be regarded inappropriate to cast an actor with achondroplasia to a role of fantasy dwarf these days?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 01:22:04 pm by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #287 on: May 25, 2023, 09:16:03 pm »
As for Gilias Thunderhead, my two choices for him would either be be Andreas Cahling or Peter Dinklage.
Andreas played Thor in Kung Fury. I imagine with the same camera tricks used in LotR movies they can make him look more like a dwarf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6CMMunWB50

Peter Dinklage played Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones. While he was more sharp with his tongue than with a sword, he still shoed strength in battle his own way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7n3SKwRaPA

He was also in Avengers: Infinity War for the role of the giant Eitri.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIoqWec3KcU

Or would it be regarded inappropriate to cast an actor with achondroplasia to a role of fantasy dwarf these days?

I'd prefer Andreas Cahling.
I watched so many movies with Peter Dinklage in it, I got bored of him.
He's really everywhere, lol.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #288 on: May 25, 2023, 09:29:16 pm »
Hypothetical question, say I do make a Golden Axe remake of my own (something I often fantasize about as a prequel to my GoldEdge idea), how would you feel for a more fleashed out magic system?

For example, "potions" or "magic oil" still used as a means to cast spells, but spells can also be upgraded and maybe even a "summoning system", such as Tyris able to summon a dragon. Ax and Gillius can also have divine figures to summon.
I'm imagining such sequences similar to Crisis Core where the gameplay itself is momentarily cut-off for animated CGI sequences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXMfWV09K8Y

Maybe for Ax Battler, he can summon Behemoth, an Earth-elemental beast of burden that sleeps under the mountains and Gillius can summon Ziz, a celestial bird capable of lightning and thunderstorms. Though I'm hoping to find some older, pre-Christian, maybe Bronze-age celestial figures to use.

Come to think about it, I find it strange that Ax Battler uses earth magic and Gilius uses lightning magic.
Dwarves are known for digging holes and Gillius wears green, the colour of plants that grow over the earth. Ax Battler wears blue, the colour of the sky where lightning comes from (and sometimes lightning itself has blue colouring), wouldn't it make more sense if their magic was swapped?

Or was Gillius given lightning magic for his namesake of "Thunderhead", in which case thunder can mean the sound of rumbling such as earthquakes.

I'd prefer Andreas Cahling.
I watched so many movies with Peter Dinklage in it, I got bored of him.
He's really everywhere, lol.

I guess... but he's a rugged, imposing sort of man... plus save some money on SFX given he'd be dwarf-size.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 08:56:15 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #289 on: May 28, 2023, 10:44:46 pm »
Hypothetical question, say I do make a Golden Axe remake of my own (something I often fantasize about as a prequel to my GoldEdge idea), how would you feel for a more fleashed out magic system?

For example, "potions" or "magic oil" still used as a means to cast spells, but spells can also be upgraded and maybe even a "summoning system", such as Tyris able to summon a dragon. Ax and Gillius can also have divine figures to summon.
I'm imagining such sequences similar to Crisis Core where the gameplay itself is momentarily cut-off for animated CGI sequences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXMfWV09K8Y

Maybe for Ax Battler, he can summon Behemoth, an Earth-elemental beast of burden that sleeps under the mountains and Gillius can summon Ziz, a celestial bird capable of lightning and thunderstorms. Though I'm hoping to find some older, pre-Christian, maybe Bronze-age celestial figures to use.

Come to think about it, I find it strange that Ax Battler uses earth magic and Gilius uses lightning magic.
Dwarves are known for digging holes and Gillius wears green, the colour of plants that grow over the earth. Ax Battler wears blue, the colour of the sky where lightning comes from (and sometimes lightning itself has blue colouring), wouldn't it make more sense if their magic was swapped?

Or was Gillius given lightning magic for his namesake of "Thunderhead", in which case thunder can mean the sound of rumbling such as earthquakes.

Could be.
We got Gillius Rockhead in Golden Axe : The Duel and we know his magic was mostly involving rock.

And since this Gillius wears blue so I guess the clothes really didn't define their magic.

I guess... but he's a rugged, imposing sort of man... plus save some money on SFX given he'd be dwarf-size.

Alright then, they could use the SFX budget to make more dragons instead.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #290 on: May 29, 2023, 07:26:12 am »
Could be.
We got Gillius Rockhead in Golden Axe : The Duel and we know his magic was mostly involving rock.

And since this Gillius wears blue so I guess the clothes really didn't define their magic.
I guess not. But given in some games some sort of figure is often seen when powerful spells are cast I often wonder if these entities are the source of the magic.

I like to believe those magic pots serve as "offerings" to titans (either spirit or living) to offer their power in battle.
Alright then, they could use the SFX budget to make more dragons instead.

Dragons are always good. As long as it's a barbarian fantasy movie (or the very least bronze-age fantasy) then that's fine by me. Just not another generic middle-age fantasy movie.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #291 on: May 29, 2023, 11:39:52 am »
My own fan-lore of Golden Axe. I like to imagine if I ever make the game GoldEdge, with gameplay inspired from Brütal Legend, I can imagine something of the likes of Artifacts of Legends which tells you the story through chapters.
(Though I am imagining these monuments similar to Word Walls but after paying tributes a mural will reveal itself.)

Titanomachy
Titans fought titans over the land, with Tannin the serpent god
who opposed Ymir, the lord of the thundering Earth. The constant war left the land in upheaval and destruction. In the ongoing battle, Ymir is slain. His son [Odin/Thor] takes up the battle against Tannin in vengeance.

I'm tempted to use Hyborian Age gods such as Set instead of Tannin while the Ymir I imagine is different from Ymir from Conan and Ymir from Norse mythology. I've yet to decide on a name for [Odin/Thor] other than they are an amalgamation of Odin and his son Thor.
As for who the titans are, these titans range from giants, dragons and Power Ranger like monsters.

I also like the idea of gods chosen from random old-world religions but using their oldest, most ancient names or identities.

Birth of Man
Ymir was slain by Tannin. As his beloved Yuria weeped over his body, her tears fell onto the earth soaked with his blood. Born from earth, blood and tears, the first humans were created and worshipped Yuria as their mother goddess. Tannin saw no threat from the weak humans, as they were caught in the ongoing destruction of the titanomachy. Yuria called to her son [Odin/Thor] to help the humans.

I might change this part. Perhaps make humans come from foreign lands, brought on a turtle. I might go with the idea that the "three races" are born from a combination of divine essences:
Blood = Humans
Sweat = Dwarves
Tears = Elves
But it depends on what I'll go with.

The Trial
Ymir's death did not end the titanomachy as the wars continue to shatter the mountains, break the earth and torrent the oceans, monsters plagued the world and humanity were subjugated to these horrors. Yuria pleaded with the [Odin/Thor] to help them. He agreed if they could tame the great dragon and take its gold, then he would help them.

Well, he's not just going to give it to them, isn't he?

The Great Dragon

I've yet to imagine how this story comes out, but you have a dragon with a horde of gold. It might also be a telling of the origin story of the Amazons and their worship of the Great Dragon. Instead of dragon slaying or enslaving it the warrior humans earn the Great Dragon's respect and the Great Dragon willingly agree to what [Odin/Thor] have in mind for the humans.

Making of the Weapon

With the Great Dragon's fire heating the forge, its gold was melted down and forged into a blade. With [Odin/Thor]'s thunderous  hammer, the heated metal was tamed. Imbued with the Great Dragon's fire, [Odin/Thor]'s thunder and Yuria's blessings, the Golden Axe was made. A weapon powerful enough for a mortal to challenge a titan.
A hero was chosen to wield the axe and to challenge Tannin.

As for the name of the hero, I've yet to decide. Possibly an ancestor to the royal family.

The Age of Gods
The holy weapon embued by the power of gods, the hero of man slays Tannin. Tannin vows that as long as man or titan worship the serpent and spread its venom, its spirit will live on as god. With the titanomachy at an end, the children of Yuria take over the lands and name them after her, worshipping the spirits of former titans as gods.

I always figure that "gods" in a way were sort of "ultimate spirits", that even though mortals claim they govern both spiritual and material aspects of our reality it's only after death we may get to meet them, thus while gods can meet and influence mortals they're still bound to the spiritual-side of reality. Thus, the term "shedding off the mortal coil" can mean either death or ascension to a spiritual or divine state.

The Folly of Men
The axe was passed from champion to champion. However, countless battles took place to gain possession of the axe. It was not until the axe returned to the royal family of Yuria that it was commissioned for a vault to be built under the castle and the axe to lay there to rest. The dwarves who built the vault kept the oath of secrecy. Thus, the stories of the Golden Axe pass down to legends.

Pretty much the same backstory from the games. It was also around this time that Dark Guld came into conscious within the axe. Dark Guld being a manifestation of every time the Golden Axe was used for wicked intent.

Golden Axe
The warlord Death Adder found the hidden vault of the Golden Axe. He raided the castle and slain the royal family to get to it. Gillius Thunderhead took the infant princess to the jungle of the Amazon warriors and ask them to keep her. A second child from the raid was found and taken into the village of Fyrwüd. The children grew into mighty warriors. United with Gillius the three braved across Death Adder's legion and defeated Death Adder.

I simply renamed the village of Firewood to "Fyrwüd". I mean, a bronze-age village named Firewood is pretty much asking for it with a name like that. At least, my respelling of it sounds the same and looks more old-fashioned.
I also dunno if Ax battler and Tyris Flare should be brother and sister. It seems they're both evacuees from when Death Adder raised the castle. It's either that or Ax Battler had nothing to do with it until Death Adders men made firewood of Firewood.

This is all I thought up so far. While my take on Yuria will have common fantasy elements like dragons, elves, dwarves etc, I strive to keep it a hyborian, Bronze Age Europe, barbarian. Sword and Sorcery aesthetic in culture and architecture. If you end up with knights and grand castles, King Arthur and the likes, (like in Ax Battle: ALoGA) then you've gone too far ahead.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 02:16:20 pm by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2023, 12:32:16 am »
My own fan-lore of Golden Axe. I like to imagine if I ever make the game GoldEdge, with gameplay inspired from Brütal Legend, I can imagine something of the likes of Artifacts of Legends which tells you the story through chapters.
(Though I am imagining these monuments similar to Word Walls but after paying tributes a mural will reveal itself.)

Titanomachy
Titans fought titans over the land, with Tannin the serpent god
who opposed Ymir, the lord of the thundering Earth. The constant war left the land in upheaval and destruction. In the ongoing battle, Ymir is slain. His son [Odin/Thor] takes up the battle against Tannin in vengeance.

I'm tempted to use Hyborian Age gods such as Set instead of Tannin while the Ymir I imagine is different from Ymir from Conan and Ymir from Norse mythology. I've yet to decide on a name for [Odin/Thor] other than they are an amalgamation of Odin and his son Thor.
As for who the titans are, these titans range from giants, dragons and Power Ranger like monsters.

I also like the idea of gods chosen from random old-world religions but using their oldest, most ancient names or identities.

Birth of Man
Ymir was slain by Tannin. As his beloved Yuria weeped over his body, her tears fell onto the earth soaked with his blood. Born from earth, blood and tears, the first humans were created and worshipped Yuria as their mother goddess. Tannin saw no threat from the weak humans, as they were caught in the ongoing destruction of the titanomachy. Yuria called to her son [Odin/Thor] to help the humans.

I might change this part. Perhaps make humans come from foreign lands, brought on a turtle. I might go with the idea that the "three races" are born from a combination of divine essences:
Blood = Humans
Sweat = Dwarves
Tears = Elves
But it depends on what I'll go with.

The Trial
Ymir's death did not end the titanomachy as the wars continue to shatter the mountains, break the earth and torrent the oceans, monsters plagued the world and humanity were subjugated to these horrors. Yuria pleaded with the [Odin/Thor] to help them. He agreed if they could tame the great dragon and take its gold, then he would help them.

Well, he's not just going to give it to them, isn't he?

The Great Dragon

I've yet to imagine how this story comes out, but you have a dragon with a horde of gold. It might also be a telling of the origin story of the Amazons and their worship of the Great Dragon. Instead of dragon slaying or enslaving it the warrior humans earn the Great Dragon's respect and the Great Dragon willingly agree to what [Odin/Thor] have in mind for the humans.

Making of the Weapon

With the Great Dragon's fire heating the forge, its gold was melted down and forged into a blade. With [Odin/Thor]'s thunderous  hammer, the heated metal was tamed. Imbued with the Great Dragon's fire, [Odin/Thor]'s thunder and Yuria's blessings, the Golden Axe was made. A weapon powerful enough for a mortal to challenge a titan.
A hero was chosen to wield the axe and to challenge Tannin.

As for the name of the hero, I've yet to decide. Possibly an ancestor to the royal family.

The Age of Gods
The holy weapon embued by the power of gods, the hero of man slays Tannin. Tannin vows that as long as man or titan worship the serpent and spread its venom, its spirit will live on as god. With the titanomachy at an end, the children of Yuria take over the lands and name them after her, worshipping the spirits of former titans as gods.

I always figure that "gods" in a way were sort of "ultimate spirits", that even though mortals claim they govern both spiritual and material aspects of our reality it's only after death we may get to meet them, thus while gods can meet and influence mortals they're still bound to the spiritual-side of reality. Thus, the term "shedding off the mortal coil" can mean either death or ascension to a spiritual or divine state.

The Folly of Men
The axe was passed from champion to champion. However, countless battles took place to gain possession of the axe. It was not until the axe returned to the royal family of Yuria that it was commissioned for a vault to be built under the castle and the axe to lay there to rest. The dwarves who built the vault kept the oath of secrecy. Thus, the stories of the Golden Axe pass down to legends.

Pretty much the same backstory from the games. It was also around this time that Dark Guld came into conscious within the axe. Dark Guld being a manifestation of every time the Golden Axe was used for wicked intent.

Golden Axe
The warlord Death Adder found the hidden vault of the Golden Axe. He raided the castle and slain the royal family to get to it. Gillius Thunderhead took the infant princess to the jungle of the Amazon warriors and ask them to keep her. A second child from the raid was found and taken into the village of Fyrwüd. The children grew into mighty warriors. United with Gillius the three braved across Death Adder's legion and defeated Death Adder.

I simply renamed the village of Firewood to "Fyrwüd". I mean, a bronze-age village named Firewood is pretty much asking for it with a name like that. At least, my respelling of it sounds the same and looks more old-fashioned.
I also dunno if Ax battler and Tyris Flare should be brother and sister. It seems they're both evacuees from when Death Adder raised the castle. It's either that or Ax Battler had nothing to do with it until Death Adders men made firewood of Firewood.

This is all I thought up so far. While my take on Yuria will have common fantasy elements like dragons, elves, dwarves etc, I strive to keep it a hyborian, Bronze Age Europe, barbarian. Sword and Sorcery aesthetic in culture and architecture. If you end up with knights and grand castles, King Arthur and the likes, (like in Ax Battle: ALoGA) then you've gone too far ahead.

Awesome man, that's really detailed and elaborated.
I'm not familiar with Brütal Legend though, got to check it later.

For Ax battler and Tyris Flare, I don't think they should be brother and sister.
Tyris Flare was from royalty, while Tarik (Ax Battler) was living in village as a hunter and adventurer.
He's even refusing to fight Death Adder when Tyris asked him to in Golden Axe: Beast Rider.
Different from Tyris that was given a sense of justice by the Amazon tribe who adopted her,
Tarik at first only care about hunting and training, at least until his mother became Death Adder forces' victim.
His sense of justice started to grow after his journey with Tyris and Gillius.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2023, 06:57:24 am »
Awesome man, that's really detailed and elaborated.
I'm not familiar with Brütal Legend though, got to check it later.

For Ax battler and Tyris Flare, I don't think they should be brother and sister.
Tyris Flare was from royalty, while Tarik (Ax Battler) was living in village as a hunter and adventurer.
He's even refusing to fight Death Adder when Tyris asked him to in Golden Axe: Beast Rider.
Different from Tyris that was given a sense of justice by the Amazon tribe who adopted her,
Tarik at first only care about hunting and training, at least until his mother became Death Adder forces' victim.
His sense of justice started to grow after his journey with Tyris and Gillius.

I can work around that... But I may have to downgrade the "castle" Tyris Flare was born in.

I don't think there were any castles in Bronze Age Europe. They did have palaces back then, but if we're going for a Northern European sort of thing I don't know what royals lived in.

In Britain, we had hillforts that consisted of roundhouses and in Scandanavia they had longhouses.

I can imagine it looking a bit like Dragonsearch from Skyrim (maybe the town itself being like Whiterun, though my take on Fyrwüd will still be a traditional prehistoric village.), but Elder Scrolls is a Medieval-fantasy game. I mean, my take on Golden Axe doesn't have to be all Bronze Age based, iron weapons can still be a thing, I just want to preserve the primal, barbaric spirit of the game than just stick knights, castles and refined weaponry in it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 08:54:55 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2023, 09:29:14 pm »
I can work around that... But I may have to downgrade the "castle" Tyris Flare was born in.

I don't think there were any castles in Bronze Age Europe. They did have palaces back then, but if we're going for a Northern European sort of thing I don't know what royals lived in.

In Britain, we had hillforts that consisted of roundhouses and in Scandanavia they had longhouses.

I can imagine it looking a bit like Dragonsearch from Skyrim (maybe the town itself being like Whiterun, though my take on Fyrwüd will still be a traditional prehistoric village.), but Elder Scrolls is a Medieval-fantasy game. I mean, my take on Golden Axe doesn't have to be all Bronze Age based, iron weapons can still be a thing, I just want to preserve the primal, barbaric spirit of the game than just stick knights, castles and refined weaponry in it.

That's ... actually more fitting.
Yeah, royals don't have to mean they live in a castle and such.
Especially if it's a small kingdom.
It could be just a normal house but with large yards and guarded by lot of warriors.
And yeah, don't take away the barbarian-theme, it's what makes Golden Axe so memorable.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #295 on: May 31, 2023, 03:24:52 pm »
That's ... actually more fitting.
Yeah, royals don't have to mean they live in a castle and such.
Especially if it's a small kingdom.
It could be just a normal house but with large yards and guarded by lot of warriors.
And yeah, don't take away the barbarian-theme, it's what makes Golden Axe so memorable.
Yep. It's games like Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe and Golden Axe: The Duel that lost this meaning when they made them generic fantasy games.

If we ever get a Golden Axe reboot, it needs a strict aesthetic. The words being "Sword and Sorcery", "Barbarian", "Hyborian Age", "Atlantic Bronze Age Europe" as well as "Nordic Bronze Age".

I may sound like a know-it-all on what should make a Golden Axe game, but truth be told, I don't really know much on Bronze Age. I only know so much on how people live back then... then there was the collapse and that's it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMP328eU5Q&list=PLjLK2cYtt-VDj9aondQLBpCv5sPsN0C6K

You'd think with how mysterious, primitive yet n a way humble Bronze Age was that there would-be more fantasy movies themed on this time. But almost all fantasy movies I come across seem to favour a late-medieval aesthetic instead.

It's why I'm hankering for more Conan the Barbarian and Golden Axe content.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:59:31 pm by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #296 on: June 03, 2023, 12:22:37 am »
Yep. It's games like Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe and Golden Axe: The Duel that lost this meaning when they made them generic fantasy games.

If we ever get a Golden Axe reboot, it needs a strict aesthetic. The words being "Sword and Sorcery", "Barbarian", "Hyborian Age", "Atlantic Bronze Age Europe" as well as "Nordic Bronze Age".

I may sound like a know-it-all on what should make a Golden Axe game, but truth be told, I don't really know much on Bronze Age. I only know so much on how people live back then... then there was the collapse and that's it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMP328eU5Q&list=PLjLK2cYtt-VDj9aondQLBpCv5sPsN0C6K

You'd think with how mysterious, primitive yet n a way humble Bronze Age was that there would-be more fantasy movies themed on this time. But almost all fantasy movies I come across seem to favour a late-medieval aesthetic instead.

It's why I'm hankering for more Conan the Barbarian and Golden Axe content.

While I don't mind Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe (the story is just generic after all, it's just young Ax Battler summoned by the king to beat some enemies and since he's still young, using armors were making sense), Golden Axe: The Duel art direction is really dissapointing.
I agree with Diehard Gamefan Magazine review that said some certain series are sacred to be experimented with.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #297 on: June 03, 2023, 09:34:24 am »
While I don't mind Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe (the story is just generic after all, it's just young Ax Battler summoned by the king to beat some enemies and since he's still young, using armors were making sense), Golden Axe: The Duel art direction is really dissapointing.
I agree with Diehard Gamefan Magazine review that said some certain series are sacred to be experimented with.

From what I understand, Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe was a Sega answer/rip-off of to Zelda II just as Golden Axe Warrior was an answer/rip-off to either the first Zelda or Link to the Past game.

Now, I can't entirely blame Sega for this, given they were competing with Nintendo at the time in an "anything you can do, I can do better!" sort of fashion. I just don't think Golden Axe was the ideal series to "respond" to The Legend of Zelda series with. (I would have chosen Alex Kidd myself. Sonic replaced Alex to compete against Mario, but the world of Aries is just as much of a Miracle World as Hyrule.)

Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe and The Duel had no consideration for specified aesthetic-genre and just slapped generic fantasy onto it. As I said earlier in this thread, I complained how the fashion of Keel and Doc look the most out-of-place. It was obvious these games were made just to make quick-buck than more consideration put into them. If Sega were to put more time and thought in how much time and quality should be put in Golden Axe games then they'd probably get more money and recognition from them.

Though I guess it doesn't matter now given, like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe was a movie-inspired game (Conan the Barbarian was real popular back then and main source of inspiration) and BeastRider pretty much put a nail in the coffin for the franchise.

That said, if we did get a new Golden Axe game, if it be by Dotemu or Sega themselves, I'd be hesitant what art direction they wll take it with. It doesn't have to rip-off Conan or the Hyborian-Age directly, just needs to preserve the brutal sword and sorcery aesthetic than just generic Camelot fantasy stuff.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 09:41:34 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #298 on: June 04, 2023, 01:30:04 am »
From what I understand, Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe was a Sega answer/rip-off of to Zelda II just as Golden Axe Warrior was an answer/rip-off to either the first Zelda or Link to the Past game.

Now, I can't entirely blame Sega for this, given they were competing with Nintendo at the time in an "anything you can do, I can do better!" sort of fashion. I just don't think Golden Axe was the ideal series to "respond" to The Legend of Zelda series with. (I would have chosen Alex Kidd myself. Sonic replaced Alex to compete against Mario, but the world of Aries is just as much of a Miracle World as Hyrule.)

Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe and The Duel had no consideration for specified aesthetic-genre and just slapped generic fantasy onto it. As I said earlier in this thread, I complained how the fashion of Keel and Doc look the most out-of-place. It was obvious these games were made just to make quick-buck than more consideration put into them. If Sega were to put more time and thought in how much time and quality should be put in Golden Axe games then they'd probably get more money and recognition from them.

I don't think Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe is a rip-off of Zelda II.
Zelda II came out in 1987 while Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe came out in 1991.
Why would you rip-off a 4 years old game from a platform that was already dead and replaced by its newer generation.
They just want to make a Golden Axe game but beat em up genre is really hard to make in Game Gear so they make anything they could make in that tiny memory limitation.

Though I guess it doesn't matter now given, like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe was a movie-inspired game (Conan the Barbarian was real popular back then and main source of inspiration) and BeastRider pretty much put a nail in the coffin for the franchise.

That said, if we did get a new Golden Axe game, if it be by Dotemu or Sega themselves, I'd be hesitant what art direction they wll take it with. It doesn't have to rip-off Conan or the Hyborian-Age directly, just needs to preserve the brutal sword and sorcery aesthetic than just generic Camelot fantasy stuff.

If it was by DotEmu then we should not worry. Ben Fiquet has already show the artwork that still retains its barbarian theme.
Too bad SEGA hasn't allowed them to make one.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #299 on: June 04, 2023, 11:27:54 am »
I don't think Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe is a rip-off of Zelda II.
Zelda II came out in 1987 while Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe came out in 1991.
Why would you rip-off a 4 years old game from a platform that was already dead and replaced by its newer generation.
They just want to make a Golden Axe game but beat em up genre is really hard to make in Game Gear so they make anything they could make in that tiny memory limitation.
If they can put Streets of Rage 1 and 2 onto the Game Gear I don't see why they couldn't import Golden Axe beat 'em up to it either.

But Ax Batter uses a lot of elements from Zelda II such as a top-down over-world map and side-scrolling for fights and dungeons. The exception being towns were also top-down.
If it was by DotEmu then we should not worry. Ben Fiquet has already show the artwork that still retains its barbarian theme.
Too bad SEGA hasn't allowed them to make one.
That su-u-ucks. Either they want a specific direction for Golden Axe in mind and want a studio to work on it or for some reason they want to keep it under the pile of IPs they're not using.