Author Topic: New mobile game from SEGA - CRANKY FOOD FRIENDS  (Read 10510 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
New mobile game from SEGA - CRANKY FOOD FRIENDS
« on: August 18, 2015, 03:34:29 am »
Source : https://forums.sega.net/t/cranky-food-friends-preview/77

Since I don't live in in Canada, Sweden, or Norway, I don't know what is this game about.  ???

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: New mobile game from SEGA - CRANKY FOOD FRIENDS
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 12:03:45 pm »
Looks like a "match 4" puzzler. Here are screens:

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 01:07:53 pm »
Notice the app logo? Looks like they picked a winner from that survey held back in April:

http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3520.0

Looks like number 1 won. I personally wanted number 2 due to it resembling the Genesis/Mega Drive design. 

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 01:22:09 pm »
Posted. Anyway get direct screens for the post? I can't access it since I live in CRAPPY 3RD WORLD COUNTRY USA.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 01:57:37 pm »
Sadly no. iTunes is a lumbering piece of shit software that doesn't lightbox the screen shots. So sorry, but I can't isolate them.

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 02:16:58 pm »
Its all good, not many people will be interested in this game anyway. Just how SEGA fans roll but this is aimed more at mainstream consumers.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:44:59 pm »
Since this one played like Puyopuyo Quest, can we safely say that the road for Puyopuyo Quest to the west is finally closed ?  :(

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:58:34 am »
Seems like Sega how Sega did reskin of Chain Chronicle for the west.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 01:22:46 pm »
This has nothing on Crying Breakfast Friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOzsw7-vaY

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 07:29:54 pm »
kinda feels like no one in SEGA West cares about SEGA Japan IP when they pull moves like Sonic Boom and now this. Haruki didn't really say anything positive about SEGA West in his interview, I feel hopeful that he will make things right in the long run.

It's obvious why they did this, it's just. theres so many mobile games with this aesthetic, rather then trying to chase the mainstream crowd they will never get they should appeal to their core fanbase first.

Haruki seems to understand you build up your brand by appealing to your core fanbase first. But SEGA West doesn't seem to.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:46:49 pm by Happy Cat »

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 11:04:32 pm »
Then you have the reskin of Puyo Puyo Quest and then SEGA not bringing Chain Chronicles (Gumi did) and SEGA rusing the same type of gameplay for Rise of Spiral Knights.

Just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 05:00:38 am »
The mobile strategies are implemented/approved by Satomi so I don't think he is against this. They stil want to chase the mainstream in the western market.

They have given that up however on consoles I think...

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 02:14:39 pm »
There just seems to be a disconnect between the two and it's hurting everyone, instead of you know, realizing that people do like these quirky Japanese titles and they just need to get the word out to people.

Which is again, part of the problem.

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 04:29:12 pm »
I think this is the issue SEGA has had for awhile, management in the West not believing that Japanese games can sell. This game has obviously been in development longer than Satomi had his 'SEGA Games co' power. Its probably part of his 'you have to work with people to get shit down' and sadly that just how this business works.

It looked like (from a outside perspective) that SEGA Japan worked hard to get Hatsune Miku games overseas, almost like they saw the demand for them and SOA didn't. They had play tests in places for the Japanese version, they released that iphone app themselves, then they had the Japanese version of the PSP (or vita?) game at Sony's booth one year.... then the next year they brought it over finally.

I think the insult is someone at SEGA thought that Puyo Puyo had no appeal, that they had to go and pay artist/developers to change the damn game instead of giving the in-house brand a chance...

I think someone at SEGA America did a lot of focus testing and found out people found this more appealing in their testing group than Puyo Puyo. This is the same method for Sonic being slower in Sonic Boom's games... (focus testing)

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 06:50:27 pm »
which is
I think this is the issue SEGA has had for awhile, management in the West not believing that Japanese games can sell. This game has obviously been in development longer than Satomi had his 'SEGA Games co' power. Its probably part of his 'you have to work with people to get shit down' and sadly that just how this business works.

It looked like (from a outside perspective) that SEGA Japan worked hard to get Hatsune Miku games overseas, almost like they saw the demand for them and SOA didn't. They had play tests in places for the Japanese version, they released that iphone app themselves, then they had the Japanese version of the PSP (or vita?) game at Sony's booth one year.... then the next year they brought it over finally.

Which is stupid to be quite honest, if Western management actually took a good look at the success Atlus has had with these types of games (even if handicapped by the fact that most Japanese games cater to a certain audience these days), they can a way to sell Japanese titles.

I think after 2 major failures and the recent restructuring, SoA would be wise to maybe try and work on bringing over more Japanese titles and leave the majority of original content development to SoE (apart from acquiring studios like Relic and Three Rings?).

I think the insult is someone at SEGA thought that Puyo Puyo had no appeal, that they had to go and pay artist/developers to change the damn game instead of giving the in-house brand a chance...

I think someone at SEGA America did a lot of focus testing and found out people found this more appealing in their testing group than Puyo Puyo. This is the same method for Sonic being slower in Sonic Boom's games... (focus testing)

I think slowing down Sonic to a certain degree is detrimental to the idea behind the character, sure you have the opposite end of having an uncontrollable blue rocket but it's better to find a middle ground.  That being said, I think of focus testing as double edge sword at times, other times more harm than good, and at certain times pretty goddamn stupid.

I can't recall many cases where it is actually effect and not a waste of people's time and money.