Author Topic: What should I play for the first time.  (Read 8014 times)

Offline MXDash

• Total Meseta: 0
What should I play for the first time.
« on: January 11, 2022, 08:26:52 am »
I've always wanted a Mega Drive/Genesis as a kid, got one when as an adult to run on my old CRT. But it came with only a few games, some good, some bad, but not very many. Recently I also got my hands on the mega drive mini, but haven't really gotten into those games just yet because I have an idea that can only happen ONCE in my life.

I want try record my first time ever playing these games, and I want you to give me suggestions of what you think stands the test of time. Your choices are not limited to the mini but can be anything that you feel is a "must play", or even games that are "so bad that it's good" type thing. As I play I will give my thoughts and reactions and will post a link to the videos here.

I look forward to your suggestions.

By the way, I've played the original Sonic trilogy to death. So those are obviously off the table, but I haven't played any of the spinoffs (except for 3D Blast).

Offline Mystic Monkey

Re: What should I play for the first time.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 06:18:34 pm »
I see you're using comic sans, the font of SA2B.
The original Sonic trilogy would be a good start, but if you want to try something more off the beatened path then Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle comes to mind.
Oooh! Mickey Mania was good, but I heard the Sega CD version was better.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 08:23:46 pm »
This is the Top 10 SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive according to SEGAbits Community

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992)
2. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (1994)
3. Streets of Rage 2 (1992)
4. Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
5. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (1993)
6. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (1993)
7. Gunstar Heroes (1993)
8. OutRun (1986)
9. Shining Force 2 (1993)
10. Golden Axe (1989)

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2017/05/09/segabits-presents-the-top-100-sega-games/

Also other than Fantasia and Beauty & Beast, you can't go wrong with Disney games on SEGA Genesis
Aladdin, Lion King, Pocahontas, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Jungle Book
Most of them are all fun to play games, especially this holy trilogy :

Offline MXDash

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 08:35:25 am »
 ;)  Thanks for the suggestions. Streets of rage 2 is one I have never played before so that may be a good starting point. Some of the Mickey and other Disney games I'm also not extremely familiar with. Good stuff. Gonna get ready to make some videos!

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 11:23:46 am »
I tried to get into making review videos for games, but I was never satisfied with the recording quality of my emulator.
Wanted to make an Alex Kidd in Miracle World review before the remake came out.

Offline MXDash

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 03:31:29 pm »
Reviews can be challenging to do really well. I wouldn't do it professionally, I just want to keep my YouTube channel as a hobby.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 03:33:50 pm by MXDash »

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 12:05:25 am »
I mostly use mine for SFM shorts whenever I feel like it.
I wanted to make game reviews in same style as "Classic-era Jontron" but never got round to it.
One of the comparisons of Alex Kidd in Miracle World I wanted to bring up was Dragon Ball, given I noticed some similarities. Which makes sense given in 1984 the game started development as a Dragon Ball game but the licencing expired during development so Nakayama had the game recycled it into an original game.

Offline MXDash

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 06:35:04 am »

Here's my first time playing Streets of Rage 2

https://youtu.be/E2Sdk6n4R0Q

Offline Superglue

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 08:26:46 am »
I second everything Berto said. You should also try Earthworm Jim, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Mortal Kombat, and Toejam & Earl for a true nostalgia trip.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 11:34:21 pm »
I remember Jurassic Park for the Master System. Climbing the cliffs of the pteranodon stage and that jazzy theme.

Offline MXDash

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 01:42:27 am »
I second everything Berto said. You should also try Earthworm Jim, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Mortal Kombat, and Toejam & Earl for a true nostalgia trip.

I've played Jurassic park Rampage Edition but not the original, will be interesting to see how different it is from that version.
I've played a lot of Earthworm Jim because I had it for Windows 98 back in the day, however I would like to revisit it but this time for the Mega Drive/Genesis. Never played Toajam & Earl, that's one I may do in the future. I actually covered Mortal Kombat on my channel years ago but it was the arcade original, probably check that out as well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:44:47 am by MXDash »

Offline Berto

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 02:13:33 am »
I've played Jurassic park Rampage Edition but not the original, will be interesting to see how different it is from that version.

Fo me the most memorable difference is T-Rex is more scary in the original version, I was surprised when he suddenly pop-up from the wall.  :-D

And good pick on Streets of Rage 2 as your first Mega Drive video. It's the best 16-bit beat em up game.

Offline Alexander71

• Blacharz
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 12:54:42 am »
These are great suggestions. I remember playing the Disney games the most. I have very great memories playing these great games! You may also check out Mortal Kombat if you haven't. It's the closest to the original arcade machine version.

Offline Berto

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 12:18:47 am »
You may also check out Mortal Kombat if you haven't. It's the closest to the original arcade machine version.

Yep, after using the blood code of course.
From the Code of Honor screen, press A, B, A, C, A, B, B.
The text will turn yellow and we will hear Scorpion say "Get over here!" that would become famous later on.
It was the top-selling Sega Genesis and SNES game in January 1994, but Genesis version sold more a lot due the lack of blood code in SNES version.

Offline MXDash

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 03:19:35 pm »
Here's my first time playing Jurassic Parkhttps://youtu.be/9dlvtS9Ucnk