Author Topic: Sega Saturn Mini  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Sega Dreamer

• Total Meseta: 0
Sega Saturn Mini
« on: June 21, 2020, 01:58:39 pm »

So I have a theory that Sega is still going to make Mini consoles for the Saturn and Dreamcast and will release them in order based on the order of consoles back then.  That would explain the Game Gear Micro coming out after the Genesis Mini.  So that would mean the Saturn Mini would be coming out next.  Since the Sega Saturn had a ton of exclusives from Japan, many of which were never translated until recently, (at least not completely)  do you think Sega would have regional exclusives, or go all out and translate all their best titles?  Also if you guys had a limit of only 30 games to pick from for a Saturn Mini, what would they be?

Here's my own personal list:

1: Virtua Fighter 2
2: Daytona USA
3: Virtua Cop
4: Virtual-On
5: Sakura Wars
6: Sonic R
7: Guardian Heroes
8: The House of The Dead
9: Die hard Arcade
10: Fighting Vipers
11: Fighters Megamix
12: Bug
13: Burning Rangers
14: NIGHTS
15: Shining Force III (Complete)
16: Shining The Holy Ark
17: Shining Wisdom
18: Radiant Silvergun
19: Mr. Bones
20: Three Dirty Dwarves
21: Clockwork Knight
22: X-Men VS. Street Fighter
23: Tomb Raider
24: Resident Evil
25: Castlevania: Symphony of The Night
26: Sonic 3D Blast
27: Sonic Jam
28: Power Drift
29: Sega Rally
30: Darkstalkers
and as an added bonus, toss in a complete version of Sonic X-Treme. 

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: Sega Saturn Mini
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 07:04:31 pm »
Most of my favorites has been mentioned but not my number one : Street Fighter Alpha 2

Love that game on arcade and it feels excellent at Saturn, thanks to the godly 6-pad (Japanese) Saturn controller.

Offline Sega Dreamer

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:18:01 pm »
Most of my favorites has been mentioned but not my number one : Street Fighter Alpha 2

Love that game on arcade and it feels excellent at Saturn, thanks to the godly 6-pad (Japanese) Saturn controller.

Definetely.  That game is fantastic!  The Saturn was like the last console to have a good button layout for fighters.  Dreamcast really threw me off but thank god for that Saturn controller adaptor.  haha. 

Offline Berto

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 04:18:07 am »
The dream never die ... If only ...

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 05:55:25 am »
With how poorly received the Game Gear was, I feel reluctant over more mini-consoles.

With the technology we have now, it would've probably been cost-efficient if they just made full-size Game Gears but with revised electronics in comparison to the Leapster or Game Boy Advance.

While there's hardly any hard-copies of Game Gear games in circulation these days, if you just so happen to come across one, at least you'd have a more practical Game Gear for it.
As for the Micro Game Gear libraries, well if Nintendo can fit a 32GB game onto a cartridge the size of a fifty pence coin, then Sega can fit a library of games into a cartridge that can fit in one's palm.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 05:58:25 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 08:28:37 pm »
With how poorly received the Game Gear was, I feel reluctant over more mini-consoles.

What? Game Gear Micro wasn't poorly received, it's sold very well.
If you didn't see them in your local gamestores because those handhelds were only sold in Japan and Asia.
It was never released in western market and it would be too small anyway for average western people's hand since it's 92% smaller than the original.

With the technology we have now, it would've probably been cost-efficient if they just made full-size Game Gears but with revised electronics in comparison to the Leapster or Game Boy Advance.

While there's hardly any hard-copies of Game Gear games in circulation these days, if you just so happen to come across one, at least you'd have a more practical Game Gear for it.
As for the Micro Game Gear libraries, well if Nintendo can fit a 32GB game onto a cartridge the size of a fifty pence coin, then Sega can fit a library of games into a cartridge that can fit in one's palm.

Actually it's still not cost-efficient.
Yosuke Okunari has said that producing them are still costly.
Not just the hardware alone, but also with the games licensing things.

Besides consoles and handhelds were mostly sold at a loss and always planned to recoup via software sales.
If there were no new games for those consoles, it's still gonna be a loss for them.
Even if there are new games if they're not sold well enough to be a hit it's still gonna be a loss.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 09:00:01 am »
What? Game Gear Micro wasn't poorly received, it's sold very well.
If you didn't see them in your local gamestores because those handhelds were only sold in Japan and Asia.
It was never released in western market and it would be too small anyway for average western people's hand since it's 92% smaller than the original.
Oh, I thought they were criticized for being a handheld for ants.
Actually it's still not cost-efficient.
Yosuke Okunari has said that producing them are still costly.
Not just the hardware alone, but also with the games licensing things.

Besides consoles and handhelds were mostly sold at a loss and always planned to recoup via software sales.
If there were no new games for those consoles, it's still gonna be a loss for them.
Even if there are new games if they're not sold well enough to be a hit it's still gonna be a loss.
Yeah but I mean a Game Gear with totally revised electronics than just continuing production of the original Game Gear, with technology that takes up 6 AAs for a few short hours. They could make the "Game Gear Advance"... so to speak. My point is, it would probably be cheaper for Sega to re-invent the Game Gear with cheap electronics we have today and make the Game Gear more power-efficient, than it would be buying the dated parts needed to make the Game Gear how it was.

Though probably be even more cost-efficient and more accessible to customers, if they just update/replace "SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics" with "SEGA Classics" and allow a variety of Sega console games, other than Mega Drive, to be purchased and played on it.

Offline Berto

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 06:39:37 am »
Oh, I thought they were criticized for being a handheld for ants.

Yep, only by western media though ... which were not their target market.

Yeah but I mean a Game Gear with totally revised electronics than just continuing production of the original Game Gear, with technology that takes up 6 AAs for a few short hours. They could make the "Game Gear Advance"... so to speak. My point is, it would probably be cheaper for Sega to re-invent the Game Gear with cheap electronics we have today and make the Game Gear more power-efficient, than it would be buying the dated parts needed to make the Game Gear how it was.

Though probably be even more cost-efficient and more accessible to customers, if they just update/replace "SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics" with "SEGA Classics" and allow a variety of Sega console games, other than Mega Drive, to be purchased and played on it.

They could make it of course and assuming it would have no games attached (since all those licensing things would make it more pricey) probably it would cost around $400, just like Analogue Pocket.
It still cost much more than Nintendo Switch ($300).

You and some die hard retro fans might be willing to pay over $400 for a new Game Gear but it is unlikely the general consumer would want it more than Switch if they had that much spare of money to buy a handheld.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 12:14:00 pm »
They could make it of course and assuming it would have no games attached (since all those licensing things would make it more pricey) probably it would cost around $400, just like Analogue Pocket.
It still cost much more than Nintendo Switch ($300).

You and some die hard retro fans might be willing to pay over $400 for a new Game Gear but it is unlikely the general consumer would want it more than Switch if they had that much spare of money to buy a handheld.
If it was a limited edition product then it would make sense high price but low supply.

So, probably be cheaper to sell Game Gear games online.

Offline Berto

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 11:21:57 pm »
If it was a limited edition product then it would make sense high price but low supply.

So, probably be cheaper to sell Game Gear games online.

Yes, it does become cheaper to sell them as DLCs in Sonic Origins.

Just wishes it's not limited to Sonic games only but I guess that will cost more for licensing.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 05:11:14 am »
Yes, it does become cheaper to sell them as DLCs in Sonic Origins.

Just wishes it's not limited to Sonic games only but I guess that will cost more for licensing.
It's nice these games are still accessible though.