Author Topic: Heavy Rain should a Sega fan care?  (Read 31112 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Re: Heavy Rain should a Sega fan care?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 07:13:13 pm »
What is wrong with the character designs? I think they all look good, just their animations are a bit meh from what I have seen. Maybe you guys are mixing those two together?

I do not know what liking every game has to be related to SEGA, why not like a game just because it is good?

I am interested, but I have no interest in getting the console and all of my friends who have the console do not want the game, so oh well!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 07:16:07 pm »
I want the game, just not for 60 bucks. :/

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 11:54:10 pm »
I really enjoyed the demo.
I played it through a couple of times, and ended up with a few different things happening.  I've really enjoyed a lot of the adventure/visual novel games I've played over the last few years (Snatcher, Hotel Dusk, Ace Attorney), and this seems like it's basically a 3D version of that, but way less linear.
Kudos to them for using video games to do something different than everybody else.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 05:11:23 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
What is wrong with the character designs? I think they all look good, just their animations are a bit meh from what I have seen. Maybe you guys are mixing those two together?
They are so realistic that any imperfection is instantly noticed. This makes them look like freakish robots to me.

The uncanny valley freaks out some people.
SEG4GES

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 09:20:58 am »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
They are so realistic that any imperfection is instantly noticed. This makes them look like freakish robots to me.

The uncanny valley freaks out some people.

Yeah, the game does have freakishly realistic models, the loading screens make me go @_@ cause it shows them close up lol

I guess you could call it part of the games charm, its definatly realistic.

Offline east of eastside

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 09:40:10 am »
Quote from: "SOUP"
I really enjoyed the demo.
I played it through a couple of times, and ended up with a few different things happening.  I've really enjoyed a lot of the adventure/visual novel games I've played over the last few years (Snatcher, Hotel Dusk, Ace Attorney), and this seems like it's basically a 3D version of that, but way less linear.
Kudos to them for using video games to do something different than everybody else.

Try and play the Policenauts english translation, especially since apparently you are a Snatcher fan.

Show Yakuza love and pick up a custom banner here:
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=313960

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 09:53:18 am »
Quote from: "east of eastside"
Try and play the Policenauts english translation, especially since apparently you are a Snatcher fan.

I really want to, but my PC kinda sucks, so I need to play it on the playstation.
I've got to get a boot disk for it first, and I kind of want to get the actual Policenauts disk to rip to my PC to make it as legal as possible.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 01:10:25 pm »
Quote from: "George"
The game is a new version of point and click adventure games. People that call it movies and like point and click adventure games of old are hypocrites.

I'm pretty sure people like point and click games for the story... not Just because it's a point and click... So theres nothing hypocritical about it. There are plenty of dud point and click games. Trust me, this was the genre I played most out side of Sega games growing up.

Heavy Rain,
1) doesn't look anything like a point and click to me... More like a QTE and watch.

2) I don't know about you but basically every good point and click I can think of was very cartoony and humour driven... I do not see the resemblence...

3)I just do not like this serial killer type story... I will not watch it in a movie, don't know why I'd watch it in a game.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 02:13:10 pm »
:: face palm ::

Offline Sharky

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 02:21:16 pm »
:: face palm ::
good comeback, shadi.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 02:22:33 pm »
Everything you stated just says "I HAVE NOT PLAYED IT SO I HATE IT CUZ I CAN"

All Point and Click games are cartoonish? I stopped reading there. Play more games.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 02:53:28 pm »
Everything you stated just says "I HAVE NOT PLAYED IT SO I HATE IT CUZ I CAN"

All Point and Click games are cartoonish? I stopped reading there. Play more games.
Quite evidently you 'stopped reading right there'... since you know, I said 'all the best ones.' not 'all'.

I don't have to play a game to know I wont like it...

Play more games? I'll go out on a limb and say I'm quite sure I've played and finished more point and click games than you.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 03:02:00 pm »
I actually quite doubt that, if you think all of them are cartoonish. But if you want to think that, that is just fine with me.

I mean't that Heavy Rain appeals to people that like Point n' Click adventure games and has QTE instead of a mouse click. I'm fine with that, I like the way it uses QTEs. Saying "OMG ITS QTE FEAST" reminds me of all the kids that refused to play Shenmue back in the day.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 03:09:20 pm »
I actually quite doubt that, if you think all of them are cartoonish. But if you want to think that, that is just fine with me.
Whats with you and impressions today? first shadi with his great one liner arguments and then Shadow Legends with his awesome 'I'm just going to read what I want and not what you said.'

Again, I didnt say all... not even once. I said 'the best ones.'
A good portion of them were built on the SCUMM Engine in the 90s which basically really only did cartoony graphics. Then they moved onto another engine GRIME or something that was a bit more realistic but still made games like Grim Fandango and Sam and Max on it... All basically cartoony.

Which great ones aren't cartoony? Myst... lol.

I mean't that Heavy Rain appeals to people that like Point n' Click adventure games and has QTE instead of a mouse click. I'm fine with that, I like the way it uses QTEs. Saying "OMG ITS QTE FEAST" reminds me of all the kids that refused to play Shenmue back in the day.
It doesnt look very point and click to me at all, the fun of point and click for me was the humour first and foremost and the puzzle solving by finding objects in the enviroment and combining them to make something else.

Neither of which looks present in Heavy Rain.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 03:27:17 pm »
Actually you have to find clues in Heavy Rain to move the investigation forward and conversations and how you handle them determin how the story unfolds. I get it, you played Lucas Arts' point and click adventure games and you think that is the best ones. I get it. Doesn't mean those are the only ones.

Parts of Heavy Rain remind me of games like Tex Murphy series. The game is about searching, exploring and finding new pieces to a puzzle. If that is not what a point and click adventure game is about, then cool. I guess we played them different.