Author Topic: Sports  (Read 114136 times)

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
Re: Sports
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2015, 01:27:31 pm »
Being curious which do you guys think are the top 5 sports in your countries?
Like in Portugal, EEUU, England, ETC.

In Argentina apart from Football is hard to tell, but we pay a lot of attention to basketball, tennis, racing, hockey and rowing.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2015, 01:30:45 pm »
Let's just agree the US national team should give Klinsmann the boot.

[spoiler]Dirty ex-Tottenham player[/spoiler]

You know, i hear this a lot and i do agree to some extent, but it's not as far off as most people make it seem. Although this isn't a huge stretch of an example. The New York Red Bulls from the MLS just whooped on Chelsea a few weeks ago, 4-2. I know that doesn't give an overall view of what standards both leagues hold, but i think the MLS is on it's way. And with the number of big names like Villa, Drogba, and Lampard making their way over, it's only growing excitement here for fubol.

Speaking on the MLS, I don't think using friendlies is a fair indication, New York Red Bulls also outdid us (Arsenal) a few years back but at the top of our game we could destroy them 8 out 10 times (So could Chelsea too.) But I do agree that the MLS has made massive strides forward, ten years ago you'd probably be similar levels to Scotland but now above them.

You should really put in relegation though, it makes a season a lot more exciting and bottom teams have more reason to fight at the end if their stake in the league is on the line. Also;

Lol, but.. But.. Our US Women's just won and broke the curse, mang..

Pffffft, that was Japan's curse for making animes like Bikini Warriors cancelling out yours.

Wait until you meet a team gifted with the blessing of God!!11!!!!!!!

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2015, 02:00:03 pm »
Let's just agree the US national team should give Klinsmann the boot.

[spoiler]Dirty ex-Tottenham player[/spoiler]

Yes, please. Although i don't know whom we'd replace him with? Not a lot of great coaches out there that would come at a good price..

Speaking on the MLS, I don't think using friendlies is a fair indication, New York Red Bulls also outdid us (Arsenal) a few years back but at the top of our game we could destroy them 8 out 10 times (So could Chelsea too.) But I do agree that the MLS has made massive strides forward, ten years ago you'd probably be similar levels to Scotland but now above them.

You should really put in relegation though, it makes a season a lot more exciting and bottom teams have more reason to fight at the end if their stake in the league is on the line. Also;

How exactly does the Relegation work? I've vaguely heard of it mainly because i don't watch European Futbol, to really understand it. It's mostly teams going between a Premier and Minor League depending on their Season Performance?

Pffffft, that was Japan's curse for making animes like Bikini Warriors cancelling out yours.
 Wait until you meet a team gifted with the blessing of God!!11!!!!!!!

Well we also beat the Germans on the way to the Final, whom were ranked #1 in the world(position we currently sit).

Man, quoting people on here is difficult..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:21:33 pm by pirovash88 »
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2015, 02:17:29 pm »
I'm not a big sports fan, though I do enjoy going to baseball games.

I know this isn't sports gaming chat, but I ended up buying NFL2K and 2K1 this past week and despite not knowing how to play football I loved the menu system and the detail Visual Concepts was able to get out of the Dreamcast.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2015, 02:26:46 pm »

In Argentina apart from Football is hard to tell, but we pay a lot of attention to basketball, tennis, racing, hockey and rowing.

Top 5 in the US for sure:

1. American Footbal
2. Basketball
3. Baseball
4. Hockey
5. Soccer

From most to least popular, imo.

I'm not a big sports fan, though I do enjoy going to baseball games.

I know this isn't sports gaming chat, but I ended up buying NFL2K and 2K1 this past week and despite not knowing how to play football I loved the menu system and the detail Visual Concepts was able to get out of the Dreamcast.

I was a huge fan of NFL2K a long time ago, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like Football.. Too bad EA took that from them with the Madden Series.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:38 pm »

1. Football
<Everything Else>

But seriously, after football I think the next biggest is either Cricket or Rugby with Tennis and F1 completing the top 5.

@Pirovash

Yes, please. Although i don't know whom we'd replace him with? Not a lot of great coaches out there that would come at a good price..

Unless the US has to be cheap, don't be cheap. Paying money for the right type of coach will bring you success. That being said, improving the ground work for your team is more important than a coach, getting more kids into football at the grass root level will help immensely.

How exactly does the Relegation work? I've vaguely heard of it mainly because i don't watch European Futbol, to really understand it. It's mostly teams going between a Premier and Minor League depending on their Season Performance?

It's a really simple concept but I'll explain it how we have it in the England rather than Portugal or Scotland. The bottom 3 teams in our league are relegated (Lowest points total) into the lower league. Now in the lower league, position 1 and 2 automatically gets promoted to the upper division whilst position 3, 4, 5 and 6 face off against each other at our national stadium (It's a fun day out for the fans of the team too) obvious heartache for the team who losses but it means that the bottom teams will give their all even in the closing weeks of the league season.

Well we also beat the Germans on the way to the Final, whom were ranked #1 in the world(position we currently sit).

Germany? Blessed by God? They lost 2 world wars! Tells you all you need to know about them!

(I am just messing with you dude haha.) 

Man, quoting people on here is difficult..

Nah you're just slowly metamorphosing into TA!

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2015, 05:21:25 pm »
Nooo, i don't wanna be TA, please.. (no offense TA)

Unless the US has to be cheap, don't be cheap. Paying money for the right type of coach will bring you success. That being said, improving the ground work for your team is more important than a coach, getting more kids into football at the grass root level will help immensely.

I don't think we have to be cheap, but i think that's something that has been brought up a number of times. While i do like what Klinsmann has done with our youth program, i think he's done what he can with this Team, it's time for him to move on. Our performance at the Gold Cup solidifies that statement for me. And if we lose to Mexico in October for the Confederations Cup Tournament, i know he'll lose his job.

It's a really simple concept but I'll explain it how we have it in the England rather than Portugal or Scotland. The bottom 3 teams in our league are relegated (Lowest points total) into the lower league. Now in the lower league, position 1 and 2 automatically gets promoted to the upper division whilst position 3, 4, 5 and 6 face off against each other at our national stadium (It's a fun day out for the fans of the team too) obvious heartache for the team who losses but it means that the bottom teams will give their all even in the closing weeks of the league season.

Hmm.. It sounds interesting. So you guys have 2 division with a lower and upper league? So you sort of have to work harder to stay in the upper division in a sense?

Germany? Blessed by God? They lost 2 world wars! Tells you all you need to know about them!

(I am just messing with you dude haha.)

Haha, yeah i know. Those Germans are quite intense, though.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2015, 10:17:14 am »
I am also curious though. If i wanted to get into Euro Soccer, which league(s) should i be looking at? Not sure that a lot of channels out here showcase games from overseas as well. I think NBC shows off Barclays' though.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2015, 03:13:17 pm »
I am also curious though. If i wanted to get into Euro Soccer, which league(s) should i be looking at? Not sure that a lot of channels out here showcase games from overseas as well. I think NBC shows off Barclays' though.

English Premier League and Spanish La Liga are currently the "best" leagues and if you do pick the EPL, support anyone but Chelsea or Tottenham, ANYONE.

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2015, 06:19:19 pm »
English Premier League and Spanish La Liga are currently the "best" leagues and if you do pick the EPL, support anyone but Chelsea or Tottenham, ANYONE.

Why is that? Are they the most popular or overrated?

Was thinking about checking out Southampton, Liverpool, or Atletico Madrid

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2015, 07:55:30 pm »
Why is that? Are they the most popular or overrated?

Was thinking about checking out Southampton, Liverpool, or Atletico Madrid

They are my team's rivals : P

Tottenham is our local rival (Well, as much as you can call it that, it's been like 19 years since they finished above us, its pretty one sided) and Chelsea is our title rival. What makes Chelsea harder to stand though is how classless they are, pretty much the Activision of football teams!

Your choices are good except Liverpool, you don't want the heartache bro, NOT THE HEARTACHE!

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2015, 11:57:08 pm »
They are my team's rivals : P

Tottenham is our local rival (Well, as much as you can call it that, it's been like 19 years since they finished above us, its pretty one sided) and Chelsea is our title rival. What makes Chelsea harder to stand though is how classless they are, pretty much the Activision of football teams!

Your choices are good except Liverpool, you don't want the heartache bro, NOT THE HEARTACHE!

Lol, eff Chelsea then, sound like assholes.

What's the deal with Liverpool? Haven't won a Champions in years?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2015, 06:13:51 pm »
Lol, eff Chelsea then, sound like assholes.

What's the deal with Liverpool? Haven't won a Champions in years?

Funfact, Arsenal's manager Wenger and Chelsea's manager Mourinho hate each others' guts and started off from when their manager called Wenger a voyeur, since then it's been a bitter feud. Infact he completely blanked his handshake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7DLJffmyHI

Liverpool is a tragic case, their most recent chance at winning the league title was in 2013. They defeated one of their title rivals, Manchester City, with their captain Steven Gerrard delivering a rousing pre-game speech, saying "THIS DOES NOT FUCKING SLIP"  they beat City and it looked like the title was theirs.

Then Gerrard literally slipped up the following game allowing the opposition to score and their title challenge feel apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i26gslXjfjU

They also lost the league title to Arsenal back in 1989 in a dramatic fashion. We had to beat them 2-0 at their home ground, it looked like the title was going to be retained by them, last minute our player charged through the midfield and scored the second goal and we won the league :P

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2015, 12:16:29 am »
Lmao, alright I've gotta follow Liverpool. Probably wont watch em too much, but ill try to catch some games. Just because of their bad luck and believe me I'm used to bad luck, I'm a Kings fan, took us 45 years to win our first Stanley Cup in 2012...

I know Gerrard, I forgot he was the Cap of Liverpool, he's now playing for the LA Galaxy. I watched his debut in a friendly against Club America.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:19:39 am by pirovash88 »

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2015, 10:34:55 am »
Liverpool V Arsenal today, gonna miss it cause i'm at work.