Author Topic: Sports  (Read 115253 times)

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
Re: Sports
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2016, 11:43:40 am »
Sorry, can't help you there.

I just wanted to say, it's the NHL playoffs! Yaaaaayyyy!!!
What hockey team(s) do you like?

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »
I can't say I follow a team as such, but I'll gladly watch any NHL game as it's rare you find a boring one. It's kind of difficult to follow them over here in the UK as they usually play in the early hours in the morning, but the playoffs usually mean they start early resulting in more reasonable times.

The league over here in the UK has just finished for the season and I'm now watching Team GB in the world tournament and the NHL playoffs. Team GB have just won their last two games and we need to win the next three this week to go up a division.

Who do you support?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:26:48 pm by Tad »

Offline pcm92

« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2016, 12:15:04 am »
The Arizona Coyotes.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2016, 03:33:21 am »
The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim!
SEG4GES

Offline pcm92

« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2016, 11:10:05 pm »
The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim!
Do you really like the Ducks or are you just saying that because they are the Yotes's main rival?

Offline Tad

« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2016, 12:59:28 am »
Heh, think he might just be referencing the films.

Ah, the Arizona Coyotes! We've had some of your players from your affiliated teams over here. Dundee Stars have just signed one for the coming season too: http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/stars-sign-forward-scott-brannon

Justin Sawyer has played for the Cardiff Devils...and very suspiciously left the country out of nowhere. Rumour has it, he got into series trouble here and he fled. Kevin Harvey was an idiot to put it mildly, Sean Erickson was good, but he never quite settled and decided to move back to Rapid City Rush.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2016, 03:54:59 am »
I'm a legit Ducks fan. I celebrated our 07 Stanley cup with much enthusiasm!

When I was a kid, I loved the movies, yes. But one day Eurosport started broadcasting the NHL playoffs. It was about 15 years ago, I was a kid and I saw them... Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne. The speed, the goals, the tackles. I was a fan. I bought the NHL games and would acompany the season games.

Later, in 2006, a canadian transfer student came to my class (a Maple Leafs fan), so I had someone to talk about NHL and the next season we were champions. It was a great time.

Eventually I started to lag behind the games and couldn't keep up with the seasons. I still follow the playoffs every year tho.
Maybe another exciting run by the Ducks would motivate me enough to stay up till 2AM to watch the games.
Happy about tonight's 3-0 win
SEG4GES

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2016, 03:25:52 am »
Fuck hockey man...
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2016, 01:32:20 am »
The Ducks coach has been shown the door as well it seems. Not too surprising considering their recent performance.

I'm not a football fan, but it was nice to see someone outside the "big" teams win the premier league last night. The whole league is built to squash the little teams so this is pretty special.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2016, 03:33:42 am »
Every league squashes the little teams really..

I think it's wonderful. But it's also sad to realize that without the huge financial backing Leicester has now they wouldn't have done it. Come mid-season break Vardy would've been bought by some big money shark along with other 2 or 3 good teammates and they would drop places on the table.

This just highlights how football can be improved if things like transfer/salary caps were implemented and the winter market is abolished.
If the future is an European Superleague then I don't want anything to do with it.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2016, 10:45:55 am »
The European super league kind of already exists does it not? It's just called the Champions league.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2016, 11:00:07 am »
The European super league kind of already exists does it not? It's just called the Champions league.
No. The Champions League is (regardless of it's name) a cup. Not a league.
Its name comes from the original intention of iteratively turning the European Cup into a league. The first few Champions Leagues had 2 group phases. Effectively, 12 "league" games. But the format is now the same as the World Cup.

The Super League concept involves something akin to a full blown double round robin competition between 12-20 clubs that would exit their national league system to compete at a higher level.
It's just a concept for now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:02:09 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2016, 11:05:11 am »
Ah, right. Yeah, this super league sounds a bit much. It'll probably eclipse the other tournaments too, so can't see it happening.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2016, 11:27:57 am »
It raises so many problems.

For example, why would I want Porto to be fighting for its life on a "superleague"? What would be the purpose? So Benfica and Sporting stay in Portugal winning titles, but we are "better" for barely staying alive in an european level? This makes no sense.

I believe there is already a SuperLeague forming, called English Premier League.
This happens in other sports. The NHL stands above all other leagues. Same with the NBA. I have no problem with the better players flocking the BPL, as long as there's still market for the rest of us.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2016, 02:01:43 pm »
Aye. I also don't think some of them would really do that well anyway. The Spanish league for example is always considered great, but from what I've seen, there's only about 3 teams that are any good. The rest are pretty poor.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:38:12 am by Tad »