Author Topic: Ouya  (Read 3352 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Ouya
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:44:46 am »
So there's this upcoming indie games console, Ouya.

Here's it's kickstarter.

It got 150k USDollars in about 30minutes.

Any comments on the concept/why Sega doesn't launch a console if these people can?
SEG4GES

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Ouya
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:03:02 pm »
yeah.. i guess i dont care that much either..
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:40:35 am »
haha! I care!

I just don't have much to say on it. Looks interesting, but who knows if it'll attract AAA titles. Or it'll end up like an android device on your tv. Which ain't bad, but is far from what I'd want in a home console. Unless this gets perfect emulation of SEGA, Nintendo and Neo Geo consoles. THat would be awesome.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:04:42 pm »
It's something very interesting, but as Barry said, will it be able to attract an audience? I'm going to follow this though, I hope it can get off the ground and do something. At the moment it sounds like an alternative to XBLA/PSN.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:13:30 pm »
Meh, mobile gaming kind of sucks so I don't have too much interest in this unless that controller gains widespread support and games can actually be controlled somewhat decently. Even then I game on PC nowadays so, meh.

Also this is lolworthy:

We get it – smartphones and tablets are getting all the new titles – they're "what's hot.” The console market is pushing developers away. We’ve seen a brain drain: some of the best, most creative gamemakers are focused on mobile and social games because those platforms are more developer-friendly. And the ones who remain focused on console games can’t be as creative as they’d like.

All the new titles that I don't really care about, and while it's true some major designers have made iOS games it is hardly their focus. Sakaguchi's Surfing game was a side project, not a main focus. Nor is the game anywhere near up to snuff with the average quality of his work on consoles.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 07:47:41 am »
I anticipate one major hurdle: The fact that it uses Android OS.

It's an ongoing issue with Android smartphones: there are compatability issues with Android Phones which makes it harder to get some universal standard.

Since Android is a Linux-based open source OS, developers can adjust the OS for the game and hardware itself, but it won't run on other devices as a result. Of course, with Ouya it might be a little eaiser since I assume that everything that's pre-installed on the console would likely have the same rigid structure. Good for fixing compatibility issues, but limites game development severly.

But I'm curious to see if they can pull this off.