Author Topic: Aliens: Colonial Marines  (Read 113320 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2013, 06:58:14 pm »
This thread is now about semmie's seductive face.

Jk.
The mere idea that they used Sega's money to make Memelands is utterly repulsive.
Can Sega get at least some of the money back?
SEG4GES

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2013, 12:29:05 am »
wow you weren't kidding, you do look a lot like my life with sega! a younger version of him!

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/02/01/contest-the-segabits-3rd-anniversary-my-life-with-sega-giveaway/

i wasnt joking when i said that LOL

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2013, 12:31:37 am »
This thread is now about semmie's seductive face.

Jk.
The mere idea that they used Sega's money to make Memelands is utterly repulsive.
Can Sega get at least some of the money back?

yeah they basically technically stole money from sega to make borderland happen?

thats it period

in baby language:

sega give money to gearbox
gearbox say wow money :)
gearbox make borderland good with sega money
gearbox make acm tiny
gearbox think im smart
sega noticed gearbox
gearbox in deep trouble

i hope there will be a lawsuit. and i hope it will kill the company completely
i love sega to much to be a victim of them

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2013, 01:35:33 am »
These are some serious accusations about Gearbox, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

No, because games aren't made out of poo and you cant eat a game either, you stupid unmitigated idiot. Grow up and come back with a sensible retort. But you have to go to school for that.
Oh Joe, you're such a card.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2013, 06:08:45 am »
These are some serious accusations about Gearbox, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Oh Joe, you're such a card.
You started it by insulting and shouting at people who disagreed with you. You can't take it back dont do it, simple as.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2013, 06:20:26 am »
The reaction is "over the top" because this was supposed to be one of the year's best games. It was heavily anticipated and marketed.

If Sega releases a bad game (Yakuza: Dead Souls) nobody really cares because nobody knew it existed. But when a game that's actually hyped and marketed is BAD, then yeah, there's a huge shitstorm. It seems unusual because we're Sega fans and Sega rarely markets their games.

But when people are anticipating and expecting your game, you have to DELIVER. Nobody told Sega, apparently. A great commercial will only go so far if your game blows.

In this industry bad games are not usually graced with multi-million dollar marketing campaigns. A bad game from Activision (007 Legends) will be quietly released, not showered with a marketing  campaign reminiscent of Black Ops II. Again, nobody told Sega this.
Like i said when the news came in about the quality of this title most of the people reacting to it had not played the game. Furthermore anyone seen to either say they may like the game or perceived to be defending a bad title has been attacked. I'm sorry but there's no excuse in what is essentially an over reaction to a bad game. All sega has done up to the release of this title is put a few spots here and there in the news media. The actual advert campaign on the tv and cinemas has only started a few days ago. So its not like there's a major ad campaign over it. Am i disapointed that the game isn't what its supposed to be? Yes. is there something werid did going on behind the scenes with GBX and Sega? All indications point to yes. But am i gonna waste braincells over this "conspircy and scandal" no. Other big games like Dante's Inferno and Resident Evil online(remember that one?) didn't get this type of treatment but all of a sudden were getting this big shitstorm over this game. I wonder why. Nothing to do with who's publishing the game then. To me what people should have been angry and kicking up a fuss about is the way BINARY DOMAIN has been treated by sega. That's just a big scandal as what's going on with A:CM. its not that i dont understand the reaction but since most people haven't played it yet how can we say for sur its really terrible or even decent? Rent the game and see if it deserves the hype.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2013, 12:47:12 pm »
Like i said when the news came in about the quality of this title most of the people reacting to it had not played the game. Furthermore anyone seen to either say they may like the game or perceived to be defending a bad title has been attacked.

Well I can't speak for people "attacking" those who liked the game, I personally haven't done that and won't do that.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with people being angry that a game we were looking forward to has turned out to be such a mess. Dude I don't have to play the game, I can watch videos of it and see that it was clearly a rushed effort that does not deserve my $60. The AI on the enemies is utterly laughable and frankly has been outdone by the AI in N64 titles. It's totally inexcusable.

All sega has done up to the release of this title is put a few spots here and there in the news media. The actual advert campaign on the tv and cinemas has only started a few days ago. So its not like there's a major ad campaign over it.

You do realize that people have been anticipating this game for YEARS, right? This was supposed to be a cannon sequel to Aliens, known by many as one of the best science fiction films of all time...

To me what people should have been angry and kicking up a fuss about is the way BINARY DOMAIN has been treated by sega.

Again, people have to actually know that the game exists to be able to make a fuss about it.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2013, 02:08:31 pm »
There is bias against SEGA in the general media.

I don't suppose you have any legitimate evidence to back this kind of statement up.  Don't you dare point me to the critical reception of BD. 

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2013, 02:35:33 pm »
I know that the Marvel games sucked, they did. But this is a new level of sucking. Like what the fuck. The AI reminds me of like Doom II. Maybe even worse. Animation is missing. It literally is you going from room to room killing brainless objects. Either Xenos that like rush at you or soldiers that stand in one area of the map (behind something to make it look like its taking cover) and that's it.

Again, I'm not done with the game. Not good at all.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2013, 03:57:35 pm »
You started it by insulting and shouting at people who disagreed with you. You can't take it back dont do it, simple as.
I wasn't trying to take anything back, the game is still a piece of garbage...

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2013, 04:20:04 pm »
I don't suppose you have any legitimate evidence to back this kind of statement up.  Don't you dare point me to the critical reception of BD. 

Why can't I dare point out Binary Domain? I realise you believe that people who love this game have affection towards SEGA only titles which is why it gets heavy praise from us, but considering that it was rated 21st best game of 2012 by GAF, which does not have any sizable SEGA community, shows you how the general gaming fanbase actually found the title vs critical reception.

Anyway Spencer/Taro was doing a piece, unfortunately stopped it but he did leave this with his hypothesis being based on bias for favour of Nintendo in America vs SEGA in Europe due to the particular regions affiliation with either one https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=D82ECE183DD019D0!119&app=Excel&authkey=!ACwAWuQZV5Z5Z2U
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:59:35 pm by Aki-at »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2013, 05:42:20 pm »
Why can't I dare point out Binary Domain? I realise you believe that people who love this game have affection towards SEGA only titles which is why it gets heavy praise from us, but considering that it was rated 21st best game of 2012 by GAF, which does not have any sizable SEGA community, shows you how the general gaming fanbase actually found the title vs critical reception.

Anyway Spencer/Taro was doing a piece, unfortunately stopped it but he did leave this with his hypothesis being based on bias for favour of Nintendo in America vs SEGA in Europe due to the particular regions affiliation with either one https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=D82ECE183DD019D0!119&app=Excel&authkey=!ACwAWuQZV5Z5Z2U

Because Binary Domain's reception was hardly enough to raise any eyebrows.  Its critical average on metacritic hovers around a 75/100 which to me, is a solid to tepid reception that you would have a hard time using as evidence of some kind of media bias.  Was it slightly underrated?  Maybe a little.  But nothing that screams bias.  I mean, sonic colors and generations were reviewed pretty favorably by most gaming outlets so how does that factor into your suspicions? 

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2013, 06:16:32 pm »
I have to say I hate metacritic. You are saying "I say this game is blah, due to what these people say". I'll tell you that you should really just PLAY Binary Domain for yourself. The game has likable characters, good shooting, great pace and a neat concept behind it. It has that sci-fi touch and the likable Japanese anime type personalities with some of the characters.

Did it open up new ground? NO, but it was a well put together game. I think reviewers are easily corrupted. Not saying Assassin's Creed 2 is terrible, but I heard from the guys at Giant Bomb or Destructoid that there was a event that Ubisoft took reviewers to Italy to play the game early. Only catch was that they couldn't give the game less than a 9, right away investing money in a high metacritic so when the game comes out it sells a ton.

Metacritic, while important, can be bought.

Now this turned into a George hates metacritic rant.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2013, 06:26:13 pm »
Is it looking like we'll see our first "D" grade at SEGAbits, George?

I've considered reviewing Sonic '06, if only so people can see what our "F" looks like.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2013, 07:44:51 pm »
Binary Domain at Metacritic averaged a 74 on the 360 (which is mixed but leaning towards "good"). Which to me is actually spot on. The game leaned very heavily on features (voice recognition, team dynamics) that it didn't do very well. Yes these issues can be overlooked as fans and you can still have fun with the game (as I did) but as a critic, it's your job to point out when KEY FEATURES are poorly implemented.

The game's big selling point was how you interacted with your teammates and the decisions you make....well, if someone bought Binary Domain expecting this feature to be on par with how it is in other games with this feature (such as Mass Effect 3) they'd be incredibly disappointed with it. And this is the type of thing that critics are employed to make you aware of.

I don't think AT ALL that reviewers looked at the "Sega" name on the cover and said, "you know what, I'll rate the game low just because."

Check it out, game didn't get a single "negative" review.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/binary-domain/critic-reviews

Remember Capcom? They used to be able to do almost no wrong in the critical community, now almost everything they release gets low-mid 8s (at best) and everything else gets trashed. There's no bias. Companies release games and some fare better than others.

Critics are not rating Colonial Marines poorly because it's from Sega, they're rating it poorly because it sucks and they're trying to save their readers from buying a shit game.

I know that the Marvel games sucked, they did. But this is a new level of sucking. Like what the fuck. The AI reminds me of like Doom II. Maybe even worse. Animation is missing. It literally is you going from room to room killing brainless objects. Either Xenos that like rush at you or soldiers that stand in one area of the map (behind something to make it look like its taking cover) and that's it.

Again, I'm not done with the game. Not good at all.

Sad part is, you're actually playing the best version.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:43:35 pm by Ben »