Author Topic: Last movie you saw.  (Read 300297 times)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Last movie you saw.
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2010, 02:30:56 pm »
I watched Laputa/Castle in the Sky with my girlfriend on Sunday.
I ended up enjoying it a lot more than expected. Kinda reminded me a bit of Skies of Arcadia with a lot of little things throughout.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2010, 02:39:02 pm »
Quote from: "SOUP"
I ended up enjoying it a lot more than expected. Kinda reminded me a bit of Skies of Arcadia with a lot of little things throughout.

Have you seen The Castle of Cagliostro? Highly recommended.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2010, 08:30:05 pm »
Yeah. We watched that a couple weeks ago.
I'd already seen Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and most of Kiki's Delivery Service.
Recently there was Castle of Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky and Ponyo.

I really want to check out My Neighbor Totoro too.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2010, 04:37:01 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"

Have you seen The Castle of Cagliostro? Highly recommended.

I think I've already said a few times here, but that is one of my all time favourite movies ever. Probably number 2 after Oldboy. I just love everything about it.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2010, 06:50:22 am »
I watched the new documentary on the White Stripes, called "Under Great White Northern Lights".
It's all about their 2007 tour of Canada where they played in every single province and territory. I was actually up front at the Toronto concert, so I've been looking forward to seeing this for a while.  If you're a fan of the band, it's a must see.  Between the performance bits they've got little backstage interviews and whatnot that are pretty interesting.
The movie's got a slightly similar look to their concert film, "Under Blackpool Lights", in that it will switch back and forth between colour, and grainy black and white.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2010, 10:24:01 am »
Saw Green Zone. Entertaining and thought provoking but it was one of those "see it once" movies. I recommend it, but it's not worthy of a DVD purchase. The plot unfolds, the action takes place and it all works. I'd give it an A-

Watched Up on DVD. Last I saw it was in the theaters. I gotta say, Pixar KNOWS how to make a DVD. The video quality was AMAZING. Unconverted on a 42" 720p TV rivaled the Blu-Ray release. Yeah, you see the difference from a few feet away, but seated 9 feet away on the couch, it's crisp, bright and colorful.

Yeah. We watched that a couple weeks ago.
I'd already seen Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and most of Kiki's Delivery Service.
Recently there was Castle of Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky and Ponyo.

I really want to check out My Neighbor Totoro too.

Nice. From "favorite" to "not as favorite" (I can't use the word "worse" in this), I'd order the Miyazaki movies that I've seen as follows: Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle of Cagliostro, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso, Kiki's Delivery Service, NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind.

The latter four were good, but they didn't stick with me. I hardly remember Nausicaa and I watched it 3 years ago. Meanwhile, I saw Castle of Cagliostro at the same time and still remember much from it.

I heard Spielberg was influenced by Castle of Cagliostro in making the Indiana Jones films. I really hope his Tintin movie is similar in inspiration.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2010, 06:01:09 pm »
^ I didn't hear about Castle of Cagliostro inspiring Indiana Jones specifically, but I remember hearing rumours that he said the movie was the 'best adventure move ever' or that the opening car chase was the 'best ever seen in a movie'

I just can't praise Castle enough, I just love almost every single frame of that movie. I also really liked Porco Rosso, I'm surprised it's so low on your list actually, the other movies must be very good.

I've seen a bit of Spirited Away, but never really watched it carefully. I can't bring myself to watch something like Totoro though... it just seems... you know...  :|
Princess Mononoke though, I'm sure i've seen like 5 minutes of that one at some point, it looked interesting. Was that the one set in fuedal Japan or something?

Offline SOUP

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2010, 07:48:10 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
^ I didn't hear about Castle of Cagliostro inspiring Indiana Jones specifically, but I remember hearing rumours that he said the movie was the 'best adventure move ever' or that the opening car chase was the 'best ever seen in a movie'

I just can't praise Castle enough, I just love almost every single frame of that movie. I also really liked Porco Rosso, I'm surprised it's so low on your list actually, the other movies must be very good.

I've seen a bit of Spirited Away, but never really watched it carefully. I can't bring myself to watch something like Totoro though... it just seems... you know...  :|
Princess Mononoke though, I'm sure i've seen like 5 minutes of that one at some point, it looked interesting. Was that the one set in fuedal Japan or something?

Supposedly the 1400-1500's time frame. They're mining the earth's resources and all that jazz.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2010, 08:43:05 pm »
Princess Mononoke was the first time I saw anime in a theater and was the first anime  I saw that wasn't in the category of DBZ or Pokemon. Really powerful film.

Spirited Away was awesome in every artistic aspect, the backgrounds, the characters and the music. Very imaginative film.

I think I saw Porco at a bad time, I'll have to rewatch it. Maybe it'll move up the list! :)

Totoro was cute, but didn't have the power that the later films had. Plus, I saw it when I was 19 so I wasn't really into kawaii =^_^=

But the BEST Ghibli movie by far is Grave of the Fireflies. I can't believe it was on a double bill with Totoro!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2010, 11:05:51 pm »
Castaway

B.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2010, 11:57:21 pm »
The Crazies. (remake)

C.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2010, 04:35:18 pm »
Saw two movies recently...

Alice in Wonderland - Clearly not Tim Burton's best.

and

Solomon Kane - Pretty good, it's kinda like Conan, it features that same mixture of fantasy and swordplay, but in a 16th century context.
Hard to beleive this was produced by the same people who did terrible movies like AvP-Requiem, Eragon and the two live-action Garfield movies.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2010, 04:23:18 am »

Awesome movie with great score!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2010, 05:04:06 am »
Re-watched  Seven Samurai, still a good 3 hour epic.

Also saw Alice in Wonderland. Writing was meh, pacing was too fast and in the end you are like "who cares". I like the art direction, most of it at least.

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2010, 03:03:17 pm »
Alice in Wonderland was not that good IMO, it's based too much around the jaberwocky sidestory in Through the Looking glass and it is basically a long fetch quest.

Also, I saw this film in 3d and it looked very flat to me, the only bits that looked remarkable werethe cheshire cats movements.

Still better than planet of the apes, big fish, sleepy hollow, mars attacks and peewee.