Author Topic: SEGA Puzzle Games - If it doesn't fit, just flip it over!  (Read 97296 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: SEGA Puzzle Games - If it doesn't fit, just flip it over!
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2021, 12:33:57 am »
Happy 26th Year Anniversary for Super Columns (Game Gear) !

"The final boss, Surhand from Super ColumnsThe evil merchant queen of Phoenicia, Surhand!
She only had art from shoulder up, so I imagined a full body outfit for her.
I was flabbergasted when her game was canon to the PS2 Columns story!! "

Artwork by Personasama, article link : https://twtext.com/article/1381691461675020291
Read it if you're a Columns fan, it's interesting.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 03:55:11 am by Berto »

Offline Berto

« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2021, 08:15:33 pm »
Happy 61st anniversary for SEGA !

"Today marks SEGA's 61st anniversary!
Thank you all for your help making our 60th so special this past year!"

Link : https://t.co/OR0JKUZmdg
Pic source : https://sega.jp/topics/210603_1/

Offline Berto

« Reply #152 on: June 22, 2021, 12:22:38 am »
Puyo Puyo !! Quest x SEGA All Stars Collaboration Event

From June 23rd (Wednesday) to July 7th (Wednesday), Puyo Puyo !! Quest will have a collaboration event with many "SEGA" characters.
In this collaboration, in addition to the Sega characters that's already appeared in the past, "Matoi" and "Quna" from "Phantasy Star Online 2 Series" and "Love and Berry" from "Fashionable Witch Love and Berry Series" will appear.

Link : https://sega.jp/topics/210621_2/

Offline Berto

« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2021, 01:28:49 am »
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 patch 1.32 is now available!

It features:
- Tetris v. Tetris / Puyo v. Tetris balance adjustments
- Tetris game speed adjustments
- Fixed issues with Item Cards in Boss Raid mode
- Fixed issues in Skill Battle mode
- Other bug fixes Download the update today!

Source : https://twitter.com/PuyoOfficial/status/1410402780863295493?s=20

Offline Berto

« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2021, 12:20:44 am »
Indigo 7 (Switch) Is A New Coming-Of-Age Puzzler Inspired By Puyo Puyo Tetris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YayFjR054P0

Dolores Entertainment has announced that Indigo 7 Quest for love, a new puzzle adventure game, will launch on Nintendo Switch on 8th July.
Indigo 7 boasts single-player and multiplayer puzzle gameplay inspired by both Puyo Puyo Tetris and 1991 puzzle game, 7 Colors.
As you'll spot in the trailer above, the game also takes players through a teen comedy story, with comic book-style cinematics following the life of Nathan and his band.

Article : https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/06/indigo_7_is_a_new_coming-of-age_puzzler_inspired_by_puyo_puyo_tetris

Offline Berto

« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2021, 09:49:55 pm »
Picross S: Mega Drive & Mark III Edition launches August 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTo0Bjf6v14

Enjoy drawing nostalgic pixel art characters while solving Picross puzzles!
The compilation includes a total of 59 titles :

Action Fighter
After Burner
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Soldier
Alien Storm
Alien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Arrow Flash
Beyond Oasis
Bio-Hazard Battle
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Columns III

Comix Zone
Crack Down
Dynamite Headdy
Enduro Racer
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Eternal Champions
Fantasy Zone
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Kung Fu Kid
Light Crusader
Out Run
Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Puyo Puyo
Puzzle & Action:Ichidant-R
Puzzle & Action:Tant-R

Quartet
Record of the Bahamut War
Rent A Hero
Ristar
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shining Force II
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic the hedgehog CD
Space Harrier
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
Super Thunder Blade
Sword of Vermilion
The Ooze
The Revenge of Shinobi
Turbo Out Run

Article : https://www.gematsu.com/2021/07/picross-s-mega-drive-mark-iii-edition-launches-august-5

Offline Berto

« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2021, 03:36:30 am »
A Demo For Jupiter's Sega Picross Is Now Available On Switch eShop

It'll be arriving on 5th August for $9.99/€9,99/£8.99 and will include puzzles based on 59 Sega games.
There are 300 puzzles for Picross and Mega Picross, 150 puzzles for Clip Picross and 30 puzzles for Color Picross.
That's 480 puzzles in total.

Article : https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/07/reminder_a_demo_for_jupiters_sega_picross_is_now_available_on_switch_eshop

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2021, 10:37:19 am »
Happy 26th Year Anniversary for Super Columns (Game Gear) !

Artwork by Personasama, article link : https://twtext.com/article/1381691461675020291
Read it if you're a Columns fan, it's interesting.
If I ever made a Columns reboot, I would have Surhand as the main villain. I have a Columns story in mind, as well as how it can tie in with the Puyo Puyo world.
A Demo For Jupiter's Sega Picross Is Now Available On Switch eShop

Article : https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/07/reminder_a_demo_for_jupiters_sega_picross_is_now_available_on_switch_eshop
So Picross is pretty much minefield but with 8-bit pictures for guides?

Offline Berto

« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2021, 12:14:07 am »
If I ever made a Columns reboot, I would have Surhand as the main villain. I have a Columns story in mind, as well as how it can tie in with the Puyo Puyo world.

Surhand as the main villain would definitely be cool.
May be she could join forces with Puyo Puyo Tetris villains too, but for villainy leadership, Surhan is likely more interesting to explore.

Offline Berto

« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2021, 12:16:00 am »
Kaitou Saint Tail for the Game Gear Translation Project's Progress

"Some GREAT news on the translation project front!
Taskforce has been poking at Kaitou Saint Tail for the Game Gear and has managed to crack the graphics compression allowing for editing to the font including a lowercase character set."

Source : https://twitter.com/romtranslator/status/1417639272182685703

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2021, 07:05:22 pm »
Surhand as the main villain would definitely be cool.
May be she could join forces with Puyo Puyo Tetris villains too, but for villainy leadership, Surhan is likely more interesting to explore.
Fan story I have in mind is set in the Classical-era of the Mediterranean sea. The main character a daughter of a phoenician merchant named Amethyst who was taught the game of Column from her father, who claims that the game of Columns is a game played by merchants for both entertainment and business decisions.

One day their ship was arrested and her father was brought to Queen Elissar for stealing the Crown Jewels and was imprisoned. Amethyst found out that it was actually Surhand who stole the crown jewels and divided the jewels up amongst her henchmen who are now in capitals across the Phoenician Empire. Along the way she meets new friends, peculiar characters and Surhands lackies.

Characters in mind:
Amethyst = Phoenician daughter, has a sort of Scrooge McDuck complex given she wants to be a wealthy merchant someday.
Rubi = An arabian genie who grants a single wish to those who beat her at a Columns match. However her wishes are not always what the wisher desires.
Garnet
= African girl
Topaz =  An egyptian priestess who tends the pyramids. While she may seem rather broody she is actually a good-hearted person who will help others she deems worthy.
Esmerelda
= A gypsie girl who has traveled around Europe.
Sapphira = A greek girl, either from Corinth or the Cyclades.

Might change the names around but you get the idea. Amethyst' circle of friends are all named after gemstones that are coloured after the Column gems.
Other characters in mind in Herald, an angel/greek god of the game itself.

Puyo Puyo connection:
Puyo Puyo 7 introduces a brand new "world" of the Puyo Puyo universe. This world being more based on our own world than the fantasy worlds that Arle Nadja and Amitie come from. The game stars Ringo Ando who attends a school at Suzuran district in Japan and her story starts with one day puyo falling from the skies. Given she was unfamiliar to them meaning her world never had puyo before.
The same game had her go on a world journey to places like  Easter Island, Area 51, Stonehenge, and Egypt (all conventiantly with railway accessable from Japan) which means Ringo's world is more like ours than Arle and Amitie's worlds.

If I were to do a "Puyo Puyo × Columns" story it would be one day Ringo took her friends to a local history museum in Tokyo and there they find a tablet written in phoenician and some mysterious gemstones. Arle could feel the magic from these gemstones is the same from puyo. Then a magic time portal opens up and they are cast into the past where Ringo meets Amethyst. Because Amethyst can only speak phoenician they could not understand each other and when they challenge one another to a game they find how different their games are. Afterwards the magic of the jewels and of the puyo allow Ringo and Amethyst to share a language.

While puyo were not present in Ringo's world prior to Puyo Puyo 7, after Arle's first Puyo Puyo × Columns match she realise that the magic from the gems that break is the same as the magic from the puyo that pop. (That is if the Owanimo spell is still canon.) That is to say that while there was no puyo on Ringo's world in the past the same magic exist in the form of the gems used in Columns.

As for where orange gems fit in with Puyo Puyo × Columns matches I dunno, given there is no orange puyo equivilent. Maybe orange gems simply don't show up in PP×C matches, or maybe orange puyo are introduce.

That's all I thought of so far. I might make this game myself given I doubt Sega will ever be interested in a Puyo Puyo crossover other than Tetris... but I'm working on another Puyo Puyo fan game at the moment, and I won't post pictures on it until it takes more shape.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 08:27:10 pm by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2021, 12:17:25 am »
Fan story I have in mind is set in the Classical-era of the Mediterranean sea. The main character a daughter of a phoenician merchant named Amethyst who was taught the game of Column from her father, who claims that the game of Columns is a game played by merchants for both entertainment and business decisions.

One day their ship was arrested and her father was brought to Queen Elissar for stealing the Crown Jewels and was imprisoned. Amethyst found out that it was actually Surhand who stole the crown jewels and divided the jewels up amongst her henchmen who are now in capitals across the Phoenician Empire. Along the way she meets new friends, peculiar characters and Surhands lackies.

Characters in mind:
Amethyst = Phoenician daughter, has a sort of Scrooge McDuck complex given she wants to be a wealthy merchant someday.
Rubi = An arabian genie who grants a single wish to those who beat her at a Columns match. However her wishes are not always what the wisher desires.
Garnet
= African girl
Topaz =  An egyptian priestess who tends the pyramids. While she may seem rather broody she is actually a good-hearted person who will help others she deems worthy.
Esmerelda
= A gypsie girl who has traveled around Europe.
Sapphira = A greek girl, either from Corinth or the Cyclades.

Might change the names around but you get the idea. Amethyst' circle of friends are all named after gemstones that are coloured after the Column gems.
Other characters in mind in Herald, an angel/greek god of the game itself.

Puyo Puyo connection:
Puyo Puyo 7 introduces a brand new "world" of the Puyo Puyo universe. This world being more based on our own world than the fantasy worlds that Arle Nadja and Amitie come from. The game stars Ringo Ando who attends a school at Suzuran district in Japan and her story starts with one day puyo falling from the skies. Given she was unfamiliar to them meaning her world never had puyo before.
The same game had her go on a world journey to places like  Easter Island, Area 51, Stonehenge, and Egypt (all conventiantly with railway accessable from Japan) which means Ringo's world is more like ours than Arle and Amitie's worlds.

If I were to do a "Puyo Puyo × Columns" story it would be one day Ringo took her friends to a local history museum in Tokyo and there they find a tablet written in phoenician and some mysterious gemstones. Arle could feel the magic from these gemstones is the same from puyo. Then a magic time portal opens up and they are cast into the past where Ringo meets Amethyst. Because Amethyst can only speak phoenician they could not understand each other and when they challenge one another to a game they find how different their games are. Afterwards the magic of the jewels and of the puyo allow Ringo and Amethyst to share a language.

While puyo were not present in Ringo's world prior to Puyo Puyo 7, after Arle's first Puyo Puyo × Columns match she realise that the magic from the gems that break is the same as the magic from the puyo that pop. (That is if the Owanimo spell is still canon.) That is to say that while there was no puyo on Ringo's world in the past the same magic exist in the form of the gems used in Columns.

As for where orange gems fit in with Puyo Puyo × Columns matches I dunno, given there is no orange puyo equivilent. Maybe orange gems simply don't show up in PP×C matches, or maybe orange puyo are introduce.

That's all I thought of so far. I might make this game myself given I doubt Sega will ever be interested in a Puyo Puyo crossover other than Tetris... but I'm working on another Puyo Puyo fan game at the moment, and I won't post pictures on it until it takes more shape.

Wow... Your fan story is neat.
Even without Puyo Puyo connection, it's already interesting.
Characters named after Columns' gemstones really would make it more memorable than those Columns Crown characters.
I really wish SEGA ressurect Columns franchises.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2021, 07:26:04 am »
Thanks. Other than six girls named after gems, there will be other characters in mind. Even cameos from more obscure Puyo Puyo characters such as the Mummy in Egypt or Zoh Daimaoh in India.

If I ever get better at Unity I might make the game. I can imagine it a fresh new look in my mind eye.

However, I dunno if I should tweak the gameplay or not, such as make opponent crushing automated instead of at a push of the button.

If I were to make a Puyo Puyo × Columns there would be some needed tweaks to make it more compatible with one another. Such as whenever or not I should add an orange puyo or remove the orange gem.

But two thing I would definitely want to bring over from Puyo Pop would be special attacks after chaining gems and a good story mode with cute characters.

Offline Berto

« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2021, 04:58:58 am »
Puyo-Puyo has too manu cute characters.
Even the enemies are cute.
I'd prefer if there's more serious characters.

Offline Berto

« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2021, 05:04:38 am »
Kaitou Saint Tail for the Game Gear Translation Project's Progress

"Some GREAT news on the translation project front!
Taskforce has been poking at Kaitou Saint Tail for the Game Gear and has managed to crack the graphics compression allowing for editing to the font including a lowercase character set."

Source : https://twitter.com/romtranslator/status/1417639272182685703

English Translation of Kaitou Saint Tail on the Game Gear Released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O8lrKJUwwY

Kaitou Saint Tail is based on the anime of the same name.
A problem is brought to Seira Mimori's attention. 
Through a series of events explained in the game, fake gems have been sold as real gems.
Meimi Haneoka as Saint Tail is tasked with replacing the fake gems with the real gems.

Download the patch here : https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6233/