Author Topic: SEGA Puzzle Games - If it doesn't fit, just flip it over!  (Read 96564 times)

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: SEGA Puzzle Games - If it doesn't fit, just flip it over!
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2021, 09:18:21 am »
Puyo-Puyo has too manu cute characters.
Even the enemies are cute.
I'd prefer if there's more serious characters.
Cute characters make the game more appealing though, and I think it would be important to appeal to the Puyo-Puyo fanbase given that fan base take up the majority of Sega's puzzle-genre dynamic.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2021, 10:27:25 am »
Re:ZERO Heroes Get a Puyo Puyo!! Makeover for Mobile Game Collab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuY_1LFBM9g

Subaru, Emilia, and the rest of the stars of Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- are getting a super cute Puyo Puyo!! makeover!
The event runs until August 29, and will include prizes, special gacha, and a brand new storyline for players.

Article : https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/08/09-1/rezero-heroes-get-a-puyo-puyo-makeover-for-mobile-game-collab

Offline Berto

« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2021, 10:28:21 am »
Puyo-Puyo fanbase fan base take up the majority of Sega's puzzle-genre dynamic.

That's kinda make me little sad.
Puyo puyo's not even original SEGA franchise.
They got it from Compile.
But same thing happened with other genres too so it's understandable.
Project Diva in rhythm game, Football Manager in management sim, and Initial D in racing game.
Well at least there are stil three original SEGA franchise at the top :
Sonic, Phantasy Star, and Yakuza on platformer, RPG, and action adventure.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2021, 03:52:38 pm »
That's kinda make me little sad.
Puyo puyo's not even original SEGA franchise.
They got it from Compile.
But I'm kind of right given the few attempts they tried to jumpstart the franchise in the past. Such as Columns Crown, Sega Ages Columns and Columns Jewel being games that utilize colourful cutie artstyles akin to Puyo Puyo.

The only problem with those three examples is that while they had stories they weren't gripping stories. Mostly just protagonist encountering opponents for feeble reasons than a proper fleshed-out world or characters.

Columns Deluxe is the closest we ever got to a Columns Puyo Puyo crossover, further appealing Columns to the Puyo Puyo fanbase.

Maybe that's why we don't really have Columns anymore? Perhaps Sega hought "The Puyo Puyo fans aren't biting. Let's just give up Columns and concentrate on Puyo Puyo for now on." But I still believe Columns can work in todays audience if executed right.

But same thing happened with other genres too so it's understandable.
Project Diva in rhythm game, Football Manager in management sim, and Initial D in racing game.
Well at least there are stil three original SEGA franchise at the top :
Sonic, Phantasy Star, and Yakuza on platformer, RPG, and action adventure.
Yeah Sega seems to lack confidence with their own IPs. I mean I sort of know why given what happened to Golden Axe: Beast Rider and now they seem to be trusting their IPs with third-party developers. I mean I like that we got remakes of late but can we really entirely credit Sega other than they were likely asked by the third-party developers than them asking them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 03:55:38 pm by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2021, 12:10:32 am »
Yeah Sega seems to lack confidence with their own IPs. I mean I sort of know why given what happened to Golden Axe: Beast Rider and now they seem to be trusting their IPs with third-party developers. I mean I like that we got remakes of late but can we really entirely credit Sega other than they were likely asked by the third-party developers than them asking them.

I think it's because SEGA in-house studios were limited and each of them already has a project they are working on.
That's why they trusted old IPs to third party developers.
Even Sonic Colors Ultimate was trusted to third party developer (Blind Squirell Entertainment) since Sonic Team is busy with Sonic Rangers.

Offline Berto

« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2021, 12:12:07 am »
SEGA Column's Inspired / Clone Game "Crazy Columns" v1.02 Released for the Amiga 500

Igrodel Jochen Hoffer made and presented a new arcade puzzle game " Crazy Columns " for retro computers Commodore Amiga 500 .
You can play 1-2 players, 3 modes are available, and you can choose the control devices.

Article : http://romhacking.ru/news/novaja_igra_crazy_columns_v1_02_na_amiga_500/2021-08-24-7774

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2021, 04:19:53 pm »
I think it's because SEGA in-house studios were limited and each of them already has a project they are working on.
That's why they trusted old IPs to third party developers.
Even Sonic Colors Ultimate was trusted to third party developer (Blind Squirell Entertainment) since Sonic Team is busy with Sonic Rangers.
It's kinda sad Sega can't make their own games anymore... but at the same time at least we're getting canon sequels and remakes of old Sega games which is better than them doing nothing. I'd love to proove my worth to Sega someday and make a fan game they will respond positively too.

Offline Berto

« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2021, 09:01:59 pm »
It's kinda sad Sega can't make their own games anymore... but at the same time at least we're getting canon sequels and remakes of old Sega games which is better than them doing nothing.

Still I think it's an absolute win for both side (SEGA and fans) .... for now.

I'd love to proove my worth to Sega someday and make a fan game they will respond positively too.

Hopefully you could finish your fan game someday. I'd love to play it.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2021, 11:25:34 am »
Hopefully you could finish your fan game someday. I'd love to play it.
I hope so to. Or the very least find a small group that's willing to help me with the technical stuff I'm struggling with.

It's a VR Puyo Puyo fan game. Instead of a 6x12 2D playing area, you have a 3x3x8 3D playing area that you can rotate, all the while still same number of spaces for puyo to land on. Instead of an automated slow decent you simply pick up puyo and drop them into the playing area where they will automatically down-drop. Connecting four puyo is still the aim of the game only this time forward and behind are just as viable connecting areas as up, down, left and right.

I wanted to make a working demo before the Puyo Puyo 30th anniversary which I thought was this September but turbs out it was back on March... not that it matters given it's been two years or so and still haven't reached alpha-testing.

Offline Berto

« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2021, 11:51:33 am »
Does that mean the game could only be playable with VR?

Offline Berto

« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2021, 11:52:43 am »
Sega Atlus Channel Will Be Held During TGS 2021

Sega and Atlus announced their Tokyo Game Show events, and it’s kicking things off with a Sega Atlus Channel, official website, and social media campaign.
There will be Sega and Atlus TGS 2021 news offered between October 1-3, 2021.
Also, people who share pictures on Twitter with #Love_Sega until September 12, 2021 might have those photos included in promotional efforts for the companies and their events.

Article : https://www.siliconera.com/sega-atlus-channel-will-be-held-during-tgs-2021/

Offline Berto

« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2021, 12:00:29 pm »
Now We Can Play The Unreleased Game Gear Puzzle Game ‘BreakThru!’
SEGA Master System Port of The Game too (GG2SMS Hack)

Game Gear version :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDRP55RdXk

Master Sytem Port (GG2SMS Hack) version :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHUK4Ne7oyQ

Those prototypes are part of a collection of loose EPROMs recovered by the Video Game History Foundation on behalf of an anonymous collector.
This lot contained prototypes from various systems.
The prototypes for Sega 8-bit systems will be released on SMS Power!, the prototypes other systems will be released on other sites, such as Hidden Palace and SNES Central

Link : https://www.smspower.org/forums/18638-UnreleasedBreakThruForTheGameGear

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2021, 12:28:17 pm »
Does that mean the game could only be playable with VR?
Yes. I do have rough ideas for how a non-VR version could work but I'd rather make a beta of the VR version first.

Offline Berto

« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2021, 11:44:31 pm »
Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles headed to Nintendo Switch Online

Nintendo is set to add Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles to Nintendo Switch Online, Eurogamer sources have confirmed.
Word that Nintendo will bulk up its Switch Online back catalogue first broke earlier this week via the Nate the Hate podcast, which discussed various possible handheld games Nintendo could bring to the Switch subscription offering.

Article : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-03-game-boy-and-game-boy-color-titles-headed-to-nintendo-switch-online

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2021, 10:43:51 am »
I didn't know there was a Columns game for the Game Boy Colour... did Sega allow it?