Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 703130 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2715 on: April 25, 2016, 04:06:00 pm »
Rocket League is free this weekend. So that.
Damn I missed this even tho I had downloaded it. What a missed opportunity. I guess I dont know what im missing then.

Well anyway, I finished Golden Sun 2: The lost age last night. What can I say, I always liked the 1st game, ended up finding the 2nd game way too complex so I always quit around the moments where it really opened up. And thought the 3rd game, Dark Dawn, was quite alright too.

Golden sun 2 makes the other 2 golden sun games feel like B tier games. Camelot as a studio really prove themselves as potentially the best JRPG makers in the industry. Its sad that nintendo makes them work on mario games. After playing golden sun 2 I can only hope their next project is a project of their own, In other words golden sun 4 perhaps?

Having said all this. Golden sun 2 may actually be a bit too hardcore for even the average jrpg fan out there. The game keeps testing your intelligence and I got stuck multiple times, just to travel hours around the world finding out what to do. Admittedly had to consult the walkthrough once or twice. For having such complex puzzles consistently throughout such a long game can only be a testamony to what Camelot has to offer as a studio. Hopefully the day will come where they can get more recognition.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2716 on: April 26, 2016, 04:39:51 am »
Tales of Zestiria

About 25 or so hours in. I'm reaching that half-way point in which the game is still ubber-fun, but the flaws are becoming pretty obvious. The most noticable of all, ToZ does not give you enough hints on where you have to go, nor does it track your progress on side quests. I'm trying to look for 4 sacred places and so far I've been able to find two of them. Wish they would give me a few more hints.

Offline SonicFan4Life

• Total Meseta: 0
    • Boredbro.com - Sonic Fan Games Online
« Reply #2717 on: April 29, 2016, 04:47:17 pm »
People will hate me for this, but been playing a lot of Black Ops 3 lol. Along with some fan games on PC. Going to get Fallout 4 soon and waiting for big RPG titles like FF15 and Kingdom Hearts 3.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2718 on: May 03, 2016, 04:54:00 am »
Tales of Zestiria

Jesus Friggin' Christ! Whoever designed the Water Shrine Dungeon should be shot!

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2719 on: May 03, 2016, 10:49:01 am »
Finished The Walking Dead mini-series.

Tis' good!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:26:23 am by Tad »

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
« Reply #2720 on: May 07, 2016, 06:48:49 am »

I was playing the Mega Drive version of Madou Monogatari I. This version is based on the MSX version of the game with key differences. The battle system is similar to the game Madou Monogatari: Hanamaru Dai Youchienji, which has a side prospective and you preform different commands by pressing different buttons. For example pressing forward causes a generic attack, holding A and holding different directions on the directional pad causes different spells, pressing up makes Arle jump which can be used to dodge attacks, and holding down and pressing C with correct timing causes a comedic trip that can also be used to dodge. The game is also more toned down then the original Madou Monogatari I, for example a cutscene where the kindergarten students turn into horrific monsters is removed and some enemies like the Rot enemies are gone.

Unfortunately I couldn't get very far since the Saturn USB controller I used malfunctioned.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2721 on: May 10, 2016, 02:56:15 am »

Tales of Zestiria

I'm pretty close to the end as of writing this comment, so I feel confident enough to give some of my lasting impressions. As a JRPG the game is pretty good. There are a few flaws (the combat system for one might be perceived as a flaw since the fights themselves save for a few expections are easy) like the story which is very typical, the characters are stuck into your typical anime archtypes even moreso in this game (that's a common issue with most Tales of games), since for the most part they tend to be dull, though when a couple of new characters join in, the party becomes far more lively (namely Rose, which is this game's Yuri Lowenthal from Tales of Vesperia). Not that out main hero Sorey isn't a good main protagonist, because he is. It's just that compared to say Tales of Vesperia, Sorey's humility and simple nature isn't quite on par with a decisively grey character like Yuri. I'm also a little bummed out that Alisha, despite being heavily featured in the intro and you spend so much time with that character early on, she breaks away from the roster about 15 hours into the main story and she never comes back as an active member. The open world is just the right size without feeling like a trudge hoping from one place to the next. The anime asthetics are pleasing. Dungeon design, however is one major flaw: too big, too much backtracking and not enough information to know how to get from point A to point B. I mention combat again, because it's a mixed bag. It's more action RPG-esque fight system, simple to play and for the most part you'll hardly lose a match since your partner's AI are pretty efficient for the most part. Some fights, especially with optional bosses however can sometimes be a chore. Because after you lower their health, they start spamming the same attacks non-stop and will stagger much less when hit. But in some ways, a more acessible fighting system is a good way to introduce people who aren't big into JRPGs. Like I mentioned before, sidequests are hard to keep up, since their progress does not show up anywhere. Same with the main quests, since for all intents and purposes, where you have to go isn't all always clear which might leave you stuck in a small area trying to figure out where to go.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:14:53 am by max_cady »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2722 on: May 19, 2016, 08:36:08 am »

Tales of Zestiria

Well, I'm afraid I've reached a point in ToZ in which fun is being replaced by frustration. Mainly with the final boss. The boss fights in ToZ has been somewhat easy to mildly challenging. But when you have a boss fight in which luck seems to be the key to winning. I've watched a couple of YT videos, I've tried a couple of strategies and I've levelled-grind like crazy. Nope, still lost the damn boss fight.

The way you have to beat him, is attack him, stagger him and use a special attack to remove a considerable chunk of his life. You have to do it least three times. If you fail to stagger him, he will unleash a massive one hit kill attack that will get all your party members killed off regardless.

As near as I can tell, staggering the final boss is somethin' that happens completely at random. When he begins charging up his special attack, you have to keep wailing on him until he staggers.  At least I think you have to do that. Somebody messed up the final boss fight design real bad.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #2723 on: May 23, 2016, 02:14:29 pm »
Doom and my GOD is it the best FPS made in years and so far my GOTY. This game is simply increabile !.

I'm getting the sort of rush I usually only get from a AAA top quality traditional shooter , but DOOM is giving me the same sort of rush , this game is sheer class , so well made and so much fun to play

id have made a stonker of a game
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2724 on: May 24, 2016, 02:11:13 am »
YES! I finally did it! I beat that f***ing final boss in Tales of Zestiria!

After I finish the secret dungeon, I'll move on to other games such as Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. Which I've done several missions already. The game is nothing short of amazing, the upscaled visuals look nice and I've found joy in experimenting with different ways to finish a mission. Still unforgivenly hard and mercyless this one is. Especially the current mission.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2725 on: July 06, 2016, 05:31:11 pm »
So I've been busy with Tales of Zestiria again. After I aced VC Remastered, I've gone back to this particular RPG to finish a major optional quest. The super secret dungeon with 7 stages. All of them with tough enemies.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2726 on: July 18, 2016, 10:20:00 pm »
Been playing Rocket League on PC.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2727 on: July 19, 2016, 02:29:24 am »
King's Quest.

I'm finding it very good!

Offline SonicFan4Life

• Total Meseta: 0
    • Boredbro.com - Sonic Fan Games Online
« Reply #2728 on: July 24, 2016, 11:33:01 am »
Disgaea 5 on PS4 and Pokemon Go lol. Between these two, my inside and outside life is taken.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2729 on: July 29, 2016, 05:15:10 am »

Gal Gun: Double Peace

I finally got to play this game. I've been curious about this franchise ever since they announced it for Xbox 360, like 7 years ago. The original never made it outside of Japan. But this sequel made it over to US and Europe courtesy of PQube Games ( a publisher that sells a ton of retro consoles and a large amount of smaller indie titles).

Here's the gist of it: imagine Virtua Cop set in an anime world with a dating sim mechanic throw in there.

Plot: As the only dude (a 2nd Year Student named Houdai) studying in this academy, you get shot by an angel's overpowered arrow so for a full day, all the girls (students and teachers) will go crazy over you, trying to give you love letters, grab and kiss you and shout like crazy. You have to shoot them with invisible arrows (called pheromone shots) to hit hem. If you hit them in the right spot, they will get flustered and fall over. From the start you are giving a choice to follow a couple of routes (basically choose on the girls that you have to confess to before the end of the day). Playing through routes will unlock new story modes. Every chapter has several stages that you can play, each with branching paths, mini objectives to complete and dialogue choices that will make the girls that you are trying to win over either love you or hate you.

Having said that, the game is clearly meant to be a guilty pleasure. The graphics are PS3 / Xbox 360 level, the shooting mechanics are Virtua Cop-esque (you can activate a sniper mode to see through lockers, statues and girl's clothing to find items) and are solid for the most part. There are a few mini games that require using the touchpad, touch sensitivity is hit or miss on some of those. But the overall experience is short, repetitive but has a lot of replayability. Localization is acceptable for the most part but they could have inserted subtitles during some of the boss fights and mini-games.