Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 237943 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2016, 10:59:18 am »
For those wondering who Stealth is, I highly suggest listening to our interview with him discussing the Sonic remasters:

https://youtu.be/S26_mL8U8bg

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #286 on: July 24, 2016, 11:08:44 am »
The title screen of Sonic Mania is really awesome. The game looks like a lot of fun too. Spring 2017 is pretty far away, but i saw tweets saying the game is going to be longer than Generations, so the extra time should pay off. Gotta love that SEGA wants all their games to be high quality now. The wait should be worth it.

The Sonic Team game is looking interesting too. Looks like they are going for a more serious tone this time compared to the games of recent. I find that exciting. What they did to the Sonic Team logo in the trailer is pretty gritty looking. Hopefully the game isn't super gritty though, I'm just so happy it's not another Lost World.

Also interesting to note is it looks like this game was originally planned for 2015
https://twitter.com/BlueParax/status/757234576905371648

If you don't remember where that is from, it was a poster leaked during a Sonic Licensing expo and it showed both Sonic Boom and a new Sonic game. So, a 2 year delay, pretty crazy. Holiday 2017 is a long long ways away. Just another sign that SEGA is taking their game quality serious I imagine. Good thing we have Sonic Mania relatively early in the year. Makes the wait for Sonic Team's game less painful.

Offline SonicFan4Life

• Total Meseta: 0
    • Boredbro.com - Sonic Fan Games Online
« Reply #287 on: July 24, 2016, 11:17:46 am »
Yes I am so hyped for Sonic Mania. Looks like what Sonic 4 should have been. Cleaner 16 bit style with some updated gameplay mechanics. Looks amazing.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #288 on: July 24, 2016, 01:35:55 pm »
I have faith that Sonic Team can make a really awesome Sonic game... The biggest concern is WILL they? Lost World is the perfect example of how Sonic Team produce do a quality product, but take it in the wrong direction.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #289 on: July 24, 2016, 03:10:14 pm »
My Sonic Project 2017 guesses (based on gut instinct and general buzz): The game will essentially be the Sonic 2 equivalent to Generations. No major gameplay changes, but there will be refinements (see how Generations changed from Colors) and new moves. I'm guessing a similar Act 1 (2D) Act 2 (3D) layout. Sonic Team could potentially bring back Classic Tails, introduce Classic Knuckles and Amy, and have them playable in the 2D stages, while the 3D stages could do the same with Shadow, Silver, Knuckles, Tails and others.

As far as story, my guess is a Days of Future Past style story which kicks off just as Generations did with a playable level – but this time as Modern Sonic in a apocalyptic setting. Like Unleashed, we could be thrown into the midst of a battle, but this time Eggman is about to take over the world and cause serious damage. Perhaps Sonic travels back in time (a la X-Men DOFP) to stop Eggman and teams up with Classic Sonic, going through time to build up a resistance against Eggman for a final battle. No throwback stages, everything is brand new, but perhaps (like Sonic Mania) we will see retro-inspired settings. Story will likely be darker, to appeal to the SA2 crowd.

A year and a half is still a ways off, so I think they are testing the waters to see how people reacted to both Classic Sonic and the dark setting, seeing which way people want the feel of the story to go.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #290 on: July 24, 2016, 05:02:35 pm »
My Sonic Project 2017 guesses (based on gut instinct and general buzz): The game will essentially be the Sonic 2 equivalent to Generations. No major gameplay changes, but there will be refinements (see how Generations changed from Colors) and new moves. I'm guessing a similar Act 1 (2D) Act 2 (3D) layout.

Yep that is exactly what I am hoping for... That's GOOD FUTURE. The gameplay of Generations and Colours is perfect for Sonic. Just get the controls as refined as possible and I'll be over the moon.

Also a little talked about feature of Sonic Generations that I loved was how you could choose your moveset, like speed boosts, double jump that kind of stuff... And basically build the Sonic you wanted to control. I have no idea why nobody talks about how awesome that was.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:16:03 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #291 on: July 24, 2016, 05:08:14 pm »
I really like the idea of them going for the 'future days' soft reboot with the 3D series. SEGA are clearly aware they've made mistakes and mishandled the series over the years and this could act as a fresh start going forward.

I'm not too concerned with what we saw so far, as it was only a peak. It could have easily have been a level like crisis city or the final boss in SA1. What's important is what it showed. They seemed to be building on the Generations and Colours foundations which is great to see and I really hope we that go in the right direction.

Whatever the case, SEGA are clearly trying really hard and I hope it pays off.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #292 on: July 24, 2016, 05:34:50 pm »

Anyway, does anyone think that the 2017 teaser might possibly be 'in-engine' for the next game? It doesn't look like the usual Sonic CGI I would expect from Marza, some textures, the animations look a little stiffer than Marza's style... it has an 'in-engine' with pp/effects added, sort of look.

Some of the background rubble like textures in this look very in-engine.

These textures look in engine to me, Sonics 'fur' for example.

Here is Generations CGI by Marza to compare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmm5mwJUd9M

I may be totally wrong, anyone who knows more about this kind of thing care to have a say?
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #293 on: July 24, 2016, 05:37:43 pm »
Terrible event, but the 2 Sonic games are just what I hopped for... Sonic Mania looks like a 16 bit fans dream and Project Sonic looks to be Generations II in all but name and Sonic Team have done wonders in making the game truly multiplatform to even the PC and NX and full marks to SEGA/Sammy for giving the team years to make this game - it should look,sound and play amazing .

Maybe the PR was true , SEGA really have changed and now its about quality . Well done SEGA and Sonic Team 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #294 on: July 24, 2016, 05:42:38 pm »
Anyway, does anyone think that the 2017 teaser might possibly be 'in-engine' for the next game? It doesn't look like the usual Sonic CGI I would expect from Marza, some textures, the animations look a little stiffer than Marza's style... it has an 'in-engine' with pp/effects added, sort of look.

I may be totally wrong, anyone who knows more about this kind of thing care to have a say?

I thought it was in-game when I saw it on Twitch live  I must admit . I think what ever the case this will simply be a stunning looking game . Sonic Team really been on the ball the last few years and thier next gen pipe lines are up to the task
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Sharky

« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2016, 05:51:27 pm »
Most people are talking about it as if it is a CGI trailer and I think it is being reported as such... But from looking closely either the CGI they use for Sonic has dipped in quality (maybe Marza are busy on the film and they got a B team to do it.) Or its in-engine with a some post processing effects.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #296 on: July 24, 2016, 05:53:19 pm »
Terrible event, but the 2 Sonic games are just what I hopped for... Sonic Mania looks like a 16 bit fans dream and Project Sonic looks to be Generations II in all but name and Sonic Team have done wonders in making the game truly multiplatform to even the PC and NX and full marks to SEGA/Sammy for giving the team years to make this game - it should look,sound and play amazing .

Maybe the PR was true , SEGA really have changed and now its about quality . Well done SEGA and Sonic Team 

Were you at the event? The event itself was awesome, the stream (from what I've heard) had major issues (thanks SEGA Europe). So no, I would not call the event terrible at all. It was probably the best Sonic fan event yet, but the coverage was badly handled (thanks SEGA Europe).

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #297 on: July 24, 2016, 06:00:27 pm »
Were you at the event?

No I watched the streaming over Twitch and while the games was what I hoped they would be (thought I really would have liked a Sonic Adv HD collection and a All Stars Racing II). The event was just really painful to watch , with not the best presdenters and the timing way off and it just looked poorly planed.

That said I really couldn't careless it was the game that I cared about 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #298 on: July 24, 2016, 06:01:36 pm »
Most people are talking about it as if it is a CGI trailer and I think it is being reported as such... But from looking closely either the CGI they use for Sonic has dipped in quality (maybe Marza are busy on the film and they got a B team to do it.) Or its in-engine with a some post processing effects.

Its most prob CG, but all based around the game engine I would guess . So I bet the final game will not be far off at all
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #299 on: July 24, 2016, 10:34:30 pm »

No you're absolutely right.  This is NOT Marza's work.  They usually put a lot more care into their stuff.  I would assume that this was actually produced by sonic team using upscaled assets as you've already guessed.  It reminds me of the Rio Olympics intro video in that regard.  Marza must be too busy right now but hopefully they contribute to the actual game when the time comes.