Author Topic: What happened to Outtrigger?  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Dreampool

• Total Meseta: 0
What happened to Outtrigger?
« on: August 15, 2017, 08:54:21 am »
Outtrigger is one of the best first-person shooter & third-person shooter video game developed by Sega AM2 for the Sega NAOMI arcade cabinet and the Dreamcast. Where's my Outrigger HD remake? Where's my Outrigger 2 ?

Why hasn't SEGA revived or continued this franchise?

Offline Betwixt Thieves

Re: What happened to Outtrigger?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:47:54 am »
It would be great to see the return of Outrigger, but from what I remember it didn't make much money. Most of the Dreamcast era games that sold well have tried to be revived in some fashion except for Seaman. That game was like in the top 3 sellers for Dreamcast in Japan and as far as I know never made a return.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:13:09 pm »
Seaman had a Japan-only PS2 sequel and in May of this year Yoot Saito teased that a new one is in the works: https://twitter.com/YootSaito/status/867735378223964160

As for Outtrigger, and the general logic(?) of how Sega chooses to continue franchises... maybe they didn't want to be involved in such a saturated gaming genre?

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:18:54 pm »
Just a guess, but I can seaman 3 being made for phones. The controls would translate well and speaking to it would be simple enough.

Maybe Ghost Squad didn't sell well enough to push for more arcade shooters to be made on the Wii/move?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:21:38 pm by Tad »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:11:46 pm »
I play counter strike go and I would gladly switch to a new Outtrigger, if there was a new one on PC.

Gameplay and visual design was ace on that game.

Offline Dreampool

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:01:44 pm »
Not only would I like to see the return of Outrigger, but I would also like for it to include some Guest Characters such as:
  • Sam Gideon from Vanquish
  • Harrier from Space Harrier
  • Agent "G" from the House of the Dead series
  • The Twin brothers from Gunstar Heroes
  • Kazuma Kiryu from the Yakuza series

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:18:40 pm »
I think the issue with Outtrigger, from the brief demo I played it of on a demo disc I collected, was the controls. In a time before dual analog sticks were the future for console FPS, Outtrigger had to make do with a clunky, not exactly accurate or precise method of control. That and the fact that mono-analog FPS controls have you doing things reverse to the standard of today to get optimal results is a hard sell (though I don't know if Outtrigger supported such a control scheme). Of course, all this could be fixed with a remaster, but would SEGA bother?  Outtrigger is kind of generic in everything but gameplay, and even then, it wasn't too dissimilar from shooters of its day. Maybe more arcadey, but still.

I will echo that I would love to see a SEGA take on the FPS genre again. We've got plenty of third person shooters from them; Vanquish, Binary Domain, Border Break, but the only FPS that immediately springs to mind is Condemned, which is more of a horror beat-em-up in practice.