Author Topic: SEGA Puzzle Games - If it doesn't fit, just flip it over!  (Read 96039 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: SEGA Puzzle Games - If it doesn't fit, just flip it over!
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2020, 01:43:27 am »
Now You Can See Your Most-played Switch Games of 2020!

Here's mine btw :

If you've got an account registered in the United States or Canada, all you have to do is sign in on the Nintendo website to see all of your own personalised stats.
It will reveal your most-played game, total hours played, and much more.

Link : https://t.co/xmmvoNs6rQ?amp=1

Offline Berto

« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2021, 01:32:54 am »
Unboxing SEGA’s Astro City Mini and Game Center Style Kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfHQxxMpIbE

Today we will be unboxing and giving you my early impressions of the unit, while I work on a full review that should be up on here by Monday!
I also got the ‘The Game Center Style Kit’ which adds a fully functioning piggy bank bottom, stool and marquee with stickers.

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2021/01/02/unboxing-segas-astro-city-mini-and-game-center-style-kit/

Offline Berto

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2021, 09:15:15 pm »
SEGA Talk Podcast #61: Arcade Candy Cabinets (1986-2005)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vwNPM1EarE

Barry and George take a break from talking about SEGA software and shift the focus to SEGA’s legendary “Candy Cabinet” line of multi-purpose arcade cabinets which included the famous Astro City and many more. Let’s dive deep into Japanese arcade history on this hardware episode of SEGA Talk Podcast! 

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2021/01/08/sega-talk-podcast-61-arcade-candy-cabinets-1986-2005/

Offline Berto

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2021, 10:02:49 pm »
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 update adds four playable characters including Sonic,
co-op boss battle mode, and more on January 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHzwr_kmq2o

Four new characters added:
- Sonic (from Sonic the Hedgehog series)
- Lidelle
- Ms. Accord
- Ocean Prince

Article : https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/puyo-puyo-tetris-2-update-adds-four-playable-characters-including-sonic-co-op-boss-battle-mode-and-more-on-january-14

Offline Berto

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2021, 10:12:05 pm »
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 - New Content English Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84W587V7PvY

Offline Berto

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2021, 10:13:37 pm »
Sonic's the name, Puyo is the game!

Celebrating the new update for Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 with another amazing piece of art from Mark Hughes (@thesketchsector).
A friendly PSA: To play online together, players must be running the same version of the game.
For Nintendo Switch, this also applies to local wireless play, so we recommend installing this latest update (Version 1.1.0) for the best possible experience.

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2021/01/13/free-puyo-puyo-tetris-2-update-available-play-as-sonic-the-hedgehog-and-3-additional-characters-with-new-modes/

Offline Berto

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2021, 03:53:50 am »
Astro City Mini Review: The Perfect Way To End SEGA’s 60th Anniversary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mitvLFDWCcs

The years come and go, it is now 2021 and I finally put together a review for SEGA Toy’s Astro City Mini.
The unit has a lot of things going for it that makes it a must own device, but at the same time has some glaring flaws that we need to discuss.

Article: http://segabits.com/blog/2021/01/15/astro-city-mini-review-the-perfect-way-to-end-segas-60th-anniversary/

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2021, 03:05:14 pm »
I was kinda hoping after Puyo Puyo™ Tetris® that Sega may consider other spin-off crossovers with puzzle games, and I had hope Columns would be it.

But honestly, I dunno if I could trust Sega with putting a story to Columns. Don't get me wrong I would love their to be a Columns IV or a Columns reboot, especially if given characters and story just like modern Puyo Puyo games... but it depends what they will have in mind for such story and characters.
The little-known "backstory" of Columns is that  is regarded as a Phoenician game played by merchants. Phoenicia being a civilisation during Ancient Greek times, they were known for their navy, their charismatic merchants and for establishing a sort of "empire" through good trade business over military. This is why Columns I was sort of Greco-Roman in theme and Columns III be Egyptian because Greece, Rome and Egypt were all part of Phoenicia's empire of trade routes across the Mediterranean sea.
To simply put, I don't want Sega to give up Columns Phoenician/Greco-Roman theme in favour of knocking off Puyo Puyo characters and themes (which they attempted to do so for such games as Columns Crown and Columns Jewel tried to do the very same with colourful fantasy forest-lands and ditzy marketable modern teen girl etc.)
Heck, I never even heard of Phoenicia until Columns introduced me to it! I've heard of the Punics from the Punic Wars but I did not know they were descendants of the Phoenicians.

I know when it comes to the "theme" of Tetris there's not much to it given it's about stacking blocks so Sega took liberties to apply a "theme" to it that will fit with Puyo-lore. Thus introducing it as a game from "Planet Tetris" and that it's introduce from the crew of the SS Tetra.
But way I see it it while Tetris is an international game it is still somewhat cultural to Soviet Russia due to it being promoted as "The Soviet Challenge" and sometimes depicted with the Space Race or the Saint Basil's Cathedral. While this was done more for promotional reasons than cultural I still regard Tetris for it's Russian roots.
Just saying if I scripted PPT, I would keep it mostly the same as it is now, the only difference being the star ship SS Tetra be made in Russia, a country located on Ringo's world (Puyo Puyo 7 proves places like UK, Egypt, Easter Island exist on Ringo's world so perhaps other countries exist there as well). It would fit in with the "Space Race" theme of a group of Russians wishing to pioneer Space.

My concern is if Sega ever decided to reboot and give Columns a story, whenever independent or crossover with Puyo Puyo, I just don't want Sega to throw out the Phoenician angle and have some "Planet Columns" where everyone simply look like all the other colourful characters but with gemstones instead of puyo accessories. Things like that.
If Puyo Puyo™ Tetris® is a story about visitors from space, why not Puyo Puyo™ Columns be about visitors from another time? (Which would make sense given "Columns II: The Voyage Through Time" had something to do with time travel.) I just don't want them to give up COlumns ancient antiquity theme.

Offline Berto

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2021, 09:12:01 pm »
I was kinda hoping after Puyo Puyo™ Tetris® that Sega may consider other spin-off crossovers with puzzle games, and I had hope Columns would be it.

But honestly, I dunno if I could trust Sega with putting a story to Columns. Don't get me wrong I would love their to be a Columns IV or a Columns reboot, especially if given characters and story just like modern Puyo Puyo games... but it depends what they will have in mind for such story and characters.
The little-known "backstory" of Columns is that  is regarded as a Phoenician game played by merchants. Phoenicia being a civilisation during Ancient Greek times, they were known for their navy, their charismatic merchants and for establishing a sort of "empire" through good trade business over military. This is why Columns I was sort of Greco-Roman in theme and Columns III be Egyptian because Greece, Rome and Egypt were all part of Phoenicia's empire of trade routes across the Mediterranean sea.
To simply put, I don't want Sega to give up Columns Phoenician/Greco-Roman theme in favour of knocking off Puyo Puyo characters and themes (which they attempted to do so for such games as Columns Crown and Columns Jewel tried to do the very same with colourful fantasy forest-lands and ditzy marketable modern teen girl etc.)
Heck, I never even heard of Phoenicia until Columns introduced me to it! I've heard of the Punics from the Punic Wars but I did not know they were descendants of the Phoenicians.

I know when it comes to the "theme" of Tetris there's not much to it given it's about stacking blocks so Sega took liberties to apply a "theme" to it that will fit with Puyo-lore. Thus introducing it as a game from "Planet Tetris" and that it's introduce from the crew of the SS Tetra.
But way I see it it while Tetris is an international game it is still somewhat cultural to Soviet Russia due to it being promoted as "The Soviet Challenge" and sometimes depicted with the Space Race or the Saint Basil's Cathedral. While this was done more for promotional reasons than cultural I still regard Tetris for it's Russian roots.
Just saying if I scripted PPT, I would keep it mostly the same as it is now, the only difference being the star ship SS Tetra be made in Russia, a country located on Ringo's world (Puyo Puyo 7 proves places like UK, Egypt, Easter Island exist on Ringo's world so perhaps other countries exist there as well). It would fit in with the "Space Race" theme of a group of Russians wishing to pioneer Space.

My concern is if Sega ever decided to reboot and give Columns a story, whenever independent or crossover with Puyo Puyo, I just don't want Sega to throw out the Phoenician angle and have some "Planet Columns" where everyone simply look like all the other colourful characters but with gemstones instead of puyo accessories. Things like that.
If Puyo Puyo™ Tetris® is a story about visitors from space, why not Puyo Puyo™ Columns be about visitors from another time? (Which would make sense given "Columns II: The Voyage Through Time" had something to do with time travel.) I just don't want them to give up COlumns ancient antiquity theme.

That's some deep knowledge about Columns, Mystic Monkey, I'm impressed.  :))
Any corelation between Phoenicia and Phoenix ? Does they worship Phoenix may be?

Columns does have heavier tone compared to Puyo Puyo or Tetris.
If Puyo Puyo or Tetris is more like Bejeweled in term of presentation,
Columns is more like Treasure of Montezuma or Jewel Master series.
I think it would be hard to make crossover between them without changing the tone of one of them.

I like Columns Crown, but I agree it changes the tone too much.
Super Columns (Game Gear) I guess is the only one could manage the story well using "Phoenicia" theme.

Here's some JP Super Columns Trivia that's shared by Rouken on SMSPower forum :

Acording from the manual of the original Columns game for the Sega's home systems, it's said Columns is a game played by the merchants of Phoenicia, but the cited place is only used again in Super Colomns. Super Columns in the only Columns game to use a Story Mode around Phoenicia with dedicated characters (other Columns games uses other characters, like Sakura Wars, Tezuka characters, or original characters without any link with Phoenicia). Acording with the US manual, there's a sacred amulet who brings peace to Phoenicia. But an evil merchant called Surhand steal the amulet to make all Phoenicia's citizens to do the evil merchant's biddings. Now the player must face Surhand to take the amulet back to its right place, but the player must face Surhand's minions first (Spoiler Alert: Surhand is a girl!!). The US manual don't list the oponent names aside Surhand's, but the japanese manual yes. As an informative purpose, I'll list the name of the characters in japanese (and my translation, but it can be a wrong translation... I'll accept corrections) in order you face them in the game: マハリド (Mahalid), カリラド・シン (Kalirad Shin), ザイダ (Zaida), ア・ブドゥー (A-Bdoo), スルハンド (Surhand). As my japanese knowledge is minimum to basic, I can't read the additional information about the characters, aside Zaida being a bodyguard, and if the character the player controls have a name, or if he is just an avatar.

Source : https://www.smspower.org/forums/18124-M2SegaAnnouncedGGAleste3ARealNewGame

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2021, 03:42:44 am »
That's some deep knowledge about Columns, Mystic Monkey, I'm impressed.  :))
Any corelation between Phoenicia and Phoenix ? Does they worship Phoenix may be?

Columns does have heavier tone compared to Puyo Puyo or Tetris.
If Puyo Puyo or Tetris is more like Bejeweled in term of presentation,
Columns is more like Treasure of Montezuma or Jewel Master series.
I think it would be hard to make crossover between them without changing the tone of one of them.

I like Columns Crown, but I agree it changes the tone too much.
Super Columns (Game Gear) I guess is the only one could manage the story well using "Phoenicia" theme.

Here's some JP Super Columns Trivia that's shared by Rouken on SMSPower forum :

Source : https://www.smspower.org/forums/18124-M2SegaAnnouncedGGAleste3ARealNewGame
Phoenician lore is fascinating, and honestly I would of never even heard of it if I didn't bother to read the back of Columns case in the 90s. It turns out they were an actual real-life semitic culture that existed across the Mediterranean in 2500–539 BC.
I dunno if they had anything to do with the phoenix, but the name derived from the expensive purple dye they used to make and sell throughout the Mediterranean. They practically established a trade empire throughout the Mediterranean Sea, an empire on par with an actual empire but mostly on business, trade and charisma than swords and conquering. Over time they became more known as the Punic from Carthage and ended up in a scuffle with Rome throughout the Punic Wars. Rome was victorious. The term "salted the Earth" came from the Romans destroying Carthage and scrubbing it of it's culture instead of implimenting it as it's own which Roman Empire would usually do.
While Columns I may appear Greco-Roman and Columns III may appear Egyptian, both Rome, Greece, Egypt and most countries around the Mediterranean Sea were part of the phoenician Empire. So it makes sense for Columns to be a "game played by merchants" because Phoenicia was known for it's merchants and it's navy.
This is why on one hand I would really love it if Sonic Team would decide to remake Columns in the same format as Puyo Puyo games, with interesting colourful characters and stories. Maybe going as far as tying-in with Ringo Ando's world given Columns riding on Puyo Puyo's tailcoat may do it some favour in the longrun.
But on the other hand I wouldn't want them to drop the Phoenician angle at all. While Tetris has become an international game, some regard it for it's Soviet Russian roots. PPT however thought it would be best to have a "Planet Tetris" and a "Spaceship Tetra" with a crew that speaks generic english, with no mentions or ties to Russia at all.It's sort of what happened in Columns Crown. Columns Crown appears to have the Puyo Puyo treatment with colourful characters and story, but at a cost of it looking almost too much like Puyo Puyo, such as a generic fantasy world of forests and magic etc.

Offline Berto

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2021, 12:22:53 am »
SEGA really did miss a chance to make the sequel as "Puyo Puyo x Tetris x Columns".Just playing safe with this sequel.
PPT2 doesn't seem different much with PPT, but add one more puzzle game it would be very different.

Offline Berto

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2021, 12:37:48 am »
Sega Identifies Minor Issue In The Latest Update For Puyo Puyo Tetris 2

We have identified an issue in the January 14 update for Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 (Version 1.1.0) where Item Cards aren't activating their special effects during matches.
We're currently working on a fix for this to be deployed in early February, and apologize for any inconvenience.

Article : https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/01/sega_identifies_minor_issue_in_the_latest_update_for_puyo_puyo_tetris_2

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2021, 04:43:23 am »
SEGA really did miss a chance to make the sequel as "Puyo Puyo x Tetris x Columns".Just playing safe with this sequel.
PPT2 doesn't seem different much with PPT, but add one more puzzle game it would be very different.
I was hoping it would of been the start of a spin-off crossover series.

First Puyo Puyo vs Tetris
Then Puyo Puyo vs Columns
Then... actually, they're the only two tile-based puzzle games I know of. I dunno, Lumines? Dr. Mario? Eitherway it be interesting to see what other stacking puzzle games can blend with Puyo Puyo.

Offline Berto

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2021, 05:22:13 am »
I was hoping it would of been the start of a spin-off crossover series.

First Puyo Puyo vs Tetris
Then Puyo Puyo vs Columns
Then... actually, they're the only two tile-based puzzle games I know of. I dunno, Lumines? Dr. Mario? Eitherway it be interesting to see what other stacking puzzle games can blend with Puyo Puyo.
Some of my friends who have PPT, they bought because there is Tetris in it.
They don't really care about Puyo Puyo.
If they get rid Tetris from the crossover, most likely they won't be interested.

I myself prefer Tetris than Puyo Puyo, since I'm not that good at Puyo Puyo.
I might buy it because I loved Columns, but the last time I bough Puyo Puyo game (that's not crossover) was Mega Drive version.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2021, 05:58:23 am »
I'm not that big on either Puyo or Tetris. But I would be quick to snap up "Puyo Puyo vs Columns" if there was ever a game. I'm rather "set in my ways" so to speak when it comes to stacking games and given Columns for the Mega Drive was the first stacking game I ever played it's why I wish the franchise had a more solid continuation.

And it's not like I entirely dislike Puyo Puyo. Sonic Mania got me to appreciate it more with Chemical Plant Zone boss.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:05:23 pm by Mystic Monkey »