Author Topic: Topics for News Articles?  (Read 9317 times)

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
Topics for News Articles?
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:59:52 pm »
Since I figured we could use something to talk about and have some more activity on the forums, how bout you guys have topic for news articles? It could needs alot of work, but I'd think it would be worth it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:47:42 pm by FourCartridge »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Topics for News Articles?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:43:47 am »
I don't quite follow you... do you mean news articles like world news or gaming related news?

We have the "Everything Else" forum for non-gaming stuff. If you'd like to make a topic dedicated to current events, feel free to do so. But I should note that past topics like that have lead to crazy arguments over war and religion and other nonsense.

Or do you mean a topic in the forums for every article on the front page? I think the comments do their job in that respect, and many news stories with their own topics in the forums will likely not be commented on at all. That's my two cents at least.

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:51:52 am »
I don't quite follow you... do you mean news articles like world news or gaming related news?

We have the "Everything Else" forum for non-gaming stuff. If you'd like to make a topic dedicated to current events, feel free to do so. But I should note that past topics like that have lead to crazy arguments over war and religion and other nonsense.

Or do you mean a topic in the forums for every article on the front page? I think the comments do their job in that respect, and many news stories with their own topics in the forums will likely not be commented on at all. That's my two cents at least.

I meant the latter; Should of cleared up on that. Topic was written while I was half asleep. XD How bout major stories like announcements at least? =P

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:36:04 am »
I know what you're talking about.

I don't know what to think about it though, ive seen sites that do it, like Mac Rumors. The comments button on their main page links to a topic in the forums.

In order to do this we would need a new forum dedicated to front page news. Most likely solution would be to make it a sub-forum of the SEGA Discussion forum.

I've learned a lot about altering wordpress over the past weekend, so I know something like this would be possible with enough cussing and pulling my hair out trying to figure things out. It would mean guests could no longer comment though, they'd have to register for a SEGAbits forum account.

Eh... something to think about :) I'll talk about it with the other staff. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 02:53:32 pm »
Ok so we talked about it as staff and decided this isn't something we want to do with our site. I'm going to lock this topic now as it has served it's purpose.

Thanks for the feedback, though! We always appreciate feedback.