Author Topic: Golden Axe - Official Thread  (Read 108570 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: Golden Axe - Official Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2022, 12:06:18 am »
Golden Axe's Spiritual Succesor "Dragon’s Crown Pro" is a Japanese PlayStation Plus Game Next Month

Dragon’s Crown Pro is the PS4-exclusive, updated version of the beat’em up.
It looks and sounds different, due to a 4K upgrades and rerecorded soundtrack.
It is also compatible with the PS3 and Vita versions of the game.
This means someone can take part in cross-play regardless of platform.
The DLC, like the additional narrators, is also included in it.

Article : https://www.siliconera.com/dragons-crown-pro-is-a-japanese-playstation-plus-game-next-month/

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2022, 12:08:01 pm »
Continuing on from our previous discussion, what would you like to see in a Golden Axe game?

Gameplay in mind:
Here are three games in which I would bring to examples what kind of Golden Axe game I'd like.
Dynasty Warriors
If Hyrule Warriors taught me anything is that Omega Force and Koei maybe willing to collab with other producers to make "Warrior" games using to franchises other than Dynasty Warriors. And honestly I think Dynasty Warriors gameplay would compliment Golden Axe on account of individual warriors taking on hordes of enemies. Often in stylish or flashy attacks.

Elden Ring
Latest installment to the Soul series, Elden Ring is regarded less difficult for new fans to get into the series while still offering the same challenge and gameplay as before, all the while allowing the player to freely explore the open-world map known as the Land Between. The game offers you to make your own character and throughout the adventure you can find armour, weapons and other items and equipment to alter your stats as you progress.

For a Golden Axe game in this manner, instead of customizable character, instead I'd just have Ax, Tyris and Gilius playable but perhaps each with their own class and preference of weapons, armour and magic. This would offer more replayability when it comes to exploring or when you're playing with two other friends and you get to work together as a team.

But I wouldn't oppose if, like Elden Ring, you can simply create a new character from scratch. Maybe offer various playable races and classes such as Barbarians, Amazons or Dwarves.

Brütal Legend
or Zelda: Breath of the Wild
While similar in gameplay to Elden Ring, what differs is that they forego statistics for traditional action-adventure gameplay. This allows players to enjoy the journey more over that having to build their characters strengths.
Granted these games still have forms of progression which is used to regulate the players access throughout the map for story sake.

In BotW, Link needs to trade four Spirit Orbs for a Heart Container or Stamina Vessel which allows him to be more durable and the use of food, potions and armour that offer various forms of protection, such as more endurance or protection from hear, sun or cold.

Brütal Legend is an older game, but has gameplay similar to BotW, however Eddie Riggs has a fixed ammount of health, an axe for primary attacks and guitar for ranged attacks and for interacting with musical elements in the game. He also has a car to quickly travel the world around him.
Eddie can upgrade his axe, guitar and car bt spending fire tributes at the motor forge. These upgrades allow him to deal with more dangerous enemies as more places open up for him to travel to.

These gameplay examples would be good fit if a new Golden Axe game keeps Ax Battler, Tyris Flare and Gillius Thunderhead. Allowing fixed variations amongst these three particular characters with room for upgrades or progression in order for them to be able to access more areas of the open-world.

Ideas for games:
Golden Axe reboot
This was attempted before with Beast Rider and what pretty much put the bullet in the franchise. I propose a game more like the original trilogy of Golden Axe games, style and design of 1982 Conan the Barbarian but not afraid to use some colour to make the characters stand out more amongst the world they inhabit. Such as Tyris wearing red, Ax wearing blue and Gilius wearing green. The game can still introduce character from Golden Axe III (maybe as supporting characters than playable) but still faithful to the story for the player to follow as they venture through Yuria.
Golden Axe Warrior remake or Spin-off
Golden Axe Warrior was the first Golden Axe game where you play as an anonymous hero under the assumption this hero represents the player. The game also takes place after an undisclose time after (or maybe before) the original trilogy of the game as you can visit Ax, Tyris and Gilius as NPCs who give you magic in exchange for horns (the in-game currency). It's implied they're training for the upcoming encounter of Death Adder so it's unclear if the game takes place before, after or seperate from the Golden Axe continuity.
While the game was released for the Game Gear making it a limited market, as well as the game being a rip-off of The Legend of Zelda for the NES, I believe the game would be ideal for a modern remake on account the player gets to play as an anonymous hero. In a remake this hero could perhaps be customizable to allow the player to feel more involved in the story.

My idea for a Golden Axe spin-off game would be called GoldEdge.
GoldEdge would be a retelling of Golden Axe Warrior but my main inspiration was Brütal Legend. The story in mind starts off in the "real world" about a group of youths breaking into an abandoned Sega arcade only to find an old Golden Axe arcade cabinet still working and pwoered up despite the desolution and lack of electricity of the arcade. You choose an individual of the group to play as (I'm imagining them like the Scooby Doo gang but without the dog) as well as further customization options to make your choice of character more unique in apperance.

The character you choose as finds a mysterious golden token on the dash board of the machine, puts it in and a surge of magic from the machine causes them to end up in some dungeon.
There they find a golden sword and use it to fight their way out the dungeon only to find they've been isekei's to Yuria, the world of Golden Axe.

There they find the legend of the Golden Axe and how it was stolen from Death Adder only for his defeat by the blades of three heroes, a barbarian, an amazonian and a dwarf. The heroes then used the axe to slay Dark Guld, the killing blow causing the axe to shatter into nine pieces.
The heroes decided instead of restoring the axe, they will take three of the nine pieces and take them far away to prevent such a pwoerful weapon ever being restored. These fragments were melted down and forged into new weapons, the nine Gold Edge Weapons.

As the hero, you are charged with collecing the nine Gold Edge weapons and restoring the Golden Axe in order to defeat Death Adder who has returned. All the while a mysterious individual is encouraging you to restore the axe for their own motives.

Offline Berto

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2022, 12:28:23 am »
Okay.. I finally read them all..

And as for me I still prefer Elden Ring than Dynasty Warriors as we know as Musou-style.
Why? Because there are already tons of game like that from Koei Tecmo alone.
Also many franchises had a spin-off with that kind of gameplay,
including Zelda, Dragon Quest, Persona, Fire Emblem, Touken Ranbu, and even Neptunia.
It's hard to make it stand out or unique.
The only game with musou-style that's unique probably is just Persona 5 Strikers with its RPG and summon system.

For the game idea, GoldEdge is more interesting than GA Reboot or GA Warriors Remake..
Still it provides me the question.. Why were the villains so obsessed of using Golden Axe?
Was it just because an ultimate powerful weapon? Nothing more?
They're still being defeated even when using Golden Axe.
I meant dragon balls seem more fun to collect because it could grant wish. Almost any wish.
But a weapon that doesn't seem useful even when being wielded by the already powerful Death Adder?

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2022, 05:18:47 am »
Okay.. I finally read them all..

And as for me I still prefer Elden Ring than Dynasty Warriors as we know as Musou-style.
Why? Because there are already tons of game like that from Koei Tecmo alone.
Also many franchises had a spin-off with that kind of gameplay,
including Zelda, Dragon Quest, Persona, Fire Emblem, Touken Ranbu, and even Neptunia.
It's hard to make it stand out or unique.
The only game with musou-style that's unique probably is just Persona 5 Strikers with its RPG and summon system.
I didn't know "musou-style" was a thing. I wish I knew that word over Warrior spin-offs. I just think a Golden Axe remake as a musou-style game could work given the original game is about fighting a small wave of enemies before moving onto the next area.
For the game idea, GoldEdge is more interesting than GA Reboot or GA Warriors Remake..
Still it provides me the question.. Why were the villains so obsessed of using Golden Axe?
Was it just because an ultimate powerful weapon? Nothing more?
They're still being defeated even when using Golden Axe.
I meant dragon balls seem more fun to collect because it could grant wish. Almost any wish.
But a weapon that doesn't seem useful even when being wielded by the already powerful Death Adder?
I think it's because an ultimate powerful weapon, nothing more.

As said I think the Golden Axe is like the Triforce of Yuria, though I don't know if it grants wishes or anything, just ultimate power. When villains like Death Adder or Hellstrike obtain it they're able to conquer Yuria with it. Whenever they're able to amass an army by themselves or by the influence of the axe is unknown. But like the Triforce, the Golden Axe does not guarantee invincibility to it's holder. The Golden Axe may also have the power to enhance the weilders strength, endurance and magic also making them formidable bosses as well as conquerers.
It could also be a matter of "status" I suppose. The Golden Axe being regarded a powerful artifact and important mcguffin in the series that anyone may feel intimidated if some hardened warrior like Death Adder steps onto the field with a weapon that shimmers with ancient divine power. Even if that warrior had a chance to defeat Death Adder they would still probably be intimidated, distracted or unprepared to deal with Death Adder. Tyris, Ax and Gillius succeeded because they were more prepared when they encountered Death Adder.

It makes me think a little of arthurian artifacts like Excalibur or the Holy Grail. These items are regarded "holy" and "legendary" and if you find anyone who possessed any of these items would perhaps be regarded as "worthy".
But Excalibur doesn't guaranteed invincibility or advantage given Mordred kills Arthur in the end.
And the Holy Grail restored youth.
But it's not like these things can make you invincible or godlike. These are items given by god after all, not to make god amongst men. For all we know these objects may had been real at one point and perhaps genuinely divine, but despite their divine properties were eventually broken and lost by time.

I think it's like that with the Golden Axe. The axe is definitely a divine weapon and grants it's holders various physical and magical advantages enough for them to become powerful but not entirely godlike.

At least that's how I percieve the weapon. I regard it as a divine instrument of the gods with powers like that of the triforce while Sega probably just really liked Conan's movie at the time and made up some mcguffin for their sword and sorcery game.

Offline Berto

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2022, 10:14:40 pm »
I didn't know "musou-style" was a thing. I wish I knew that word over Warrior spin-offs. I just think a Golden Axe remake as a musou-style game could work given the original game is about fighting a small wave of enemies before moving onto the next area.

It works, it's just hard to stand out and the gameplay was always easily panned by critics.
Remember Valkyria Revolution?
The story, character design, and graphic was so good.
But because of the musou gameplay, the game was overhated.
It also debuts as worst selling entry in Valkyria franchise history.

If the goal is reviving the franchise, musou would be a bad choice.
But if the franchise is already established,
and if it done right (like Persona 5 Strikers),
having a musou spinoff game of it will be nice.

I think it's because an ultimate powerful weapon, nothing more.

As said I think the Golden Axe is like the Triforce of Yuria, though I don't know if it grants wishes or anything, just ultimate power. When villains like Death Adder or Hellstrike obtain it they're able to conquer Yuria with it. Whenever they're able to amass an army by themselves or by the influence of the axe is unknown. But like the Triforce, the Golden Axe does not guarantee invincibility to it's holder. The Golden Axe may also have the power to enhance the weilders strength, endurance and magic also making them formidable bosses as well as conquerers.
It could also be a matter of "status" I suppose. The Golden Axe being regarded a powerful artifact and important mcguffin in the series that anyone may feel intimidated if some hardened warrior like Death Adder steps onto the field with a weapon that shimmers with ancient divine power. Even if that warrior had a chance to defeat Death Adder they would still probably be intimidated, distracted or unprepared to deal with Death Adder. Tyris, Ax and Gillius succeeded because they were more prepared when they encountered Death Adder.

It makes me think a little of arthurian artifacts like Excalibur or the Holy Grail. These items are regarded "holy" and "legendary" and if you find anyone who possessed any of these items would perhaps be regarded as "worthy".
But Excalibur doesn't guaranteed invincibility or advantage given Mordred kills Arthur in the end.
And the Holy Grail restored youth.
But it's not like these things can make you invincible or godlike. These are items given by god after all, not to make god amongst men. For all we know these objects may had been real at one point and perhaps genuinely divine, but despite their divine properties were eventually broken and lost by time.

I think it's like that with the Golden Axe. The axe is definitely a divine weapon and grants it's holders various physical and magical advantages enough for them to become powerful but not entirely godlike.

At least that's how I percieve the weapon. I regard it as a divine instrument of the gods with powers like that of the triforce while Sega probably just really liked Conan's movie at the time and made up some mcguffin for their sword and sorcery game.

I still want to try to make it more just a powerful weapon.
What if the Golden Axe is also the weapon could also bring back dead people to life?
That would explain many living skeletons coming from the ground.
It was summoned alive by the game boss.

Also remember final stage in arcade version?
Death Adder's started as corpses with a helmet and Golden Axe on top of it which had many snakes crawling to them?
And suddenly they merged to become alive as Death Adder?
It's like the Golden Axe was used to revive him.

And he's also dead by the Golden Axe.
It's like that the only thing that really could kill him.

I think it's not on Genesis / Mega Drive version, since it's kinda hard to animate in 16 bit pallete with limited rom size.
But Genesis / Mega Drive version came with extra final level with Death Bringer as a final boss.
Death Bringer's probably the one who rises Death Adder from his grave.

So my story version is ... protagonist's not just wanted to defeat the bad guys.
He also wanted to revive his/her loved one/ones by restoring Golden Axe who have the power to rise people from their graves.
After collecting many fragments from various places, he finally succeed.
Both in defeating the bad guys and resurrect the ones he/she loved.
But something went wrong...
His/her loved ones are different and are not what they used to be...
They now seems to be kinda .... evil.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2022, 06:15:18 am »
It works, it's just hard to stand out and the gameplay was always easily panned by critics.
Remember Valkyria Revolution?
The story, character design, and graphic was so good.
But because of the musou gameplay, the game was overhated.
It also debuts as worst selling entry in Valkyria franchise history.

If the goal is reviving the franchise, musou would be a bad choice.
But if the franchise is already established,
and if it done right (like Persona 5 Strikers),
having a musou spinoff game of it will be nice.
I guess you're right. Other than my GoldEdge suggestion, what would you suggest as a reboot to the Golden Axe franchise?
I still want to try to make it more just a powerful weapon.
What if the Golden Axe is also the weapon could also bring back dead people to life?
That would explain many living skeletons coming from the ground.
It was summoned alive by the game boss.

We cannot say for sure if the power of the Golden Axe did this. Given Yuria is a magical world/country/kingdom (Yuria is never really clearly stated what body of land it is, other than the Kingdom of Firewood being a part of Yuria) we dunno if it's just general dark magic that could be the standard of the world. I believe those skeletons were based after the skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqRjDGAJ5dc
Though what I find curious about these skeletons is that they show up on the giant eagle stage (I believe the eagle is actually a roc) Pressuming the back of the roc is flesh, that means the human-like skeletons are coming up from the birds back. What's up with that?

Eitherway, we dunno if these skeletons are risen directly from the power of the Golden Axe or not. Yuria is suppose to be a world of sorcery so this could be something some or most wizards could do without the axe.
Also remember final stage in arcade version?
Death Adder's started as corpses with a helmet and Golden Axe on top of it which had many snakes crawling to them?
And suddenly they merged to become alive as Death Adder?
It's like the Golden Axe was used to revive him.

Again, I believe this scene is a reference to popular fantasy movie at the time, that being Conan the Barbarian with Thulsa Doom's ability to turn into a snake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDKtMygiCVs
It might be possible that Death Adder had the power to become many snakes as he pleases and reforms himself afterwards. If he lived in Hyborian Age he would definitely be a Set worshipper along with Thulsa Doom.
And he's also dead by the Golden Axe.
It's like that the only thing that really could kill him.

It's likely he was hoisted with his own petard, but I still think he wasn't invinclible with the axe or else the fight would just go on indefinitely until the heroes loose.
I think it's not on Genesis / Mega Drive version, since it's kinda hard to animate in 16 bit pallete with limited rom size.
But Genesis / Mega Drive version came with extra final level with Death Bringer as a final boss.
Death Bringer's probably the one who rises Death Adder from his grave.

Honestly, I don't remember much how the Mega Drive version ended. It's been a long time.
So my story version is ... protagonist's not just wanted to defeat the bad guys.
He also wanted to revive his/her loved one/ones by restoring Golden Axe who have the power to rise people from their graves.
After collecting many fragments from various places, he finally succeed.
Both in defeating the bad guys and resurrect the ones he/she loved.
But something went wrong...
His/her loved ones are different and are not what they used to be...
They now seems to be kinda .... evil.

If I recall, in the PC version of Golden Axe, Gilius did had a brother named Garī.

To resurrect the dead, I believe would be too much for the Golden Axe to do (As stated in varous endings of The Duel). I believe however the Golden Axe would have the power to enhance magic and strength. As in give spells as boost or make the most advance spells more easy to cast.

For example, for an average necromantic wizard, raising a group of skeletons is perhaps an advance spell to master. Whenever Death Adder knew of this spell or had a warlock in his ranks to cast the spell for him is unknown, but the power of the Golden Axe would of made that spell easy to summon a whole army of skeletons.

If the Golden Axe could resurrect the dead it would just be too conveniant to the plot to restore Gilias brother, Ax's mother and Tyris royal parents. But as you suggested if it was done with a spell that goes wrong and turn the resurrected becomes corrupted, undead or an abomination, I can imagine that happening with using the axe for such a ritual than the axe itself.

Also, if Golden Axe is ever made into a "Sega Cinematic Universe" movie, I like the idea of the axe being literally made from rings, and because of the if the weilder wishes to leave Yuria and visit another planet, they can use the axe to literally cut a rift to other worlds.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 10:47:38 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2022, 10:17:02 pm »
I guess you're right. Other than my GoldEdge suggestion, what would you suggest as a reboot to the Golden Axe franchise?

I want to be surprised so I'm hopeful for a new gameplay.
Still what I wanted back then was many characters with different gameplay-style that could blend together.
And that's already achieved in Dragon's Crown.
I kinda like how fighter could change his sword to almost any weapon he found
how archer could pick arrows that were used by enemies before
and was surprised how Sorceress could revived fallen enemies to make them our partners in fight.
Riding a sabretooth or a raptor instead of dragons and interesting enemies (including killer rabbit boss).
So many things that made me surprised. I like to be surprised.

It's just a shame back then Atlus wasn't part of SEGA yet.
Because if it was, I'm pretty sure SEGA would let Vanillaware to make this game as Golden Axe's sequel,
not just spiritual successor.

We cannot say for sure if the power of the Golden Axe did this. Given Yuria is a magical world/country/kingdom (Yuria is never really clearly stated what body of land it is, other than the Kingdom of Firewood being a part of Yuria) we dunno if it's just general dark magic that could be the standard of the world. I believe those skeletons were based after the skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqRjDGAJ5dc
Though what I find curious about these skeletons is that they show up on the giant eagle stage (I believe the eagle is actually a roc) Pressuming the back of the roc is flesh, that means the human-like skeletons are coming up from the birds back. What's up with that?
Eitherway, we dunno if these skeletons are risen directly from the power of the Golden Axe or not. Yuria is suppose to be a world of sorcery so this could be something some or most wizards could do without the axe.

I think they're showing up only on where the heroes are... since they were revived by Golden Axe (my opinion).
Before the giant eagle stage, some of them were already showing up in the end of stage 2.

Again, I believe this scene is a reference to popular fantasy movie at the time, that being Conan the Barbarian with Thulsa Doom's ability to turn into a snake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDKtMygiCVs
It might be possible that Death Adder had the power to become many snakes as he pleases and reforms himself afterwards. If he lived in Hyborian Age he would definitely be a Set worshipper along with Thulsa Doom.

The snakes probably yes, what about the corpses?

Honestly, I don't remember much how the Mega Drive version ended. It's been a long time.

PC version version's also the same with Mega Drive.
You got one more final stage and Death Bringer as final boss.

I guess they change the ending for the home version
because the arcade version's ending is too comedic.

If I recall, in the PC version of Golden Axe, Gilius did had a brother named Garī.

To resurrect the dead, I believe would be too much for the Golden Axe to do (As stated in varous endings of The Duel). I believe however the Golden Axe would have the power to enhance magic and strength. As in give spells as boost or make the most advance spells more easy to cast.

For example, for an average necromantic wizard, raising a group of skeletons is perhaps an advance spell to master. Whenever Death Adder knew of this spell or had a warlock in his ranks to cast the spell for him is unknown, but the power of the Golden Axe would of made that spell easy to summon a whole army of skeletons.

If the Golden Axe could resurrect the dead it would just be too conveniant to the plot to restore Gilias brother, Ax's mother and Tyris royal parents. But as you suggested if it was done with a spell that goes wrong and turn the resurrected becomes corrupted, undead or an abomination, I can imagine that happening with using the axe for such a ritual than the axe itself.

Also, if Golden Axe is ever made into a "Sega Cinematic Universe" movie, I like the idea of the axe being literally made from rings, and because of the if the weilder wishes to leave Yuria and visit another planet, they can use the axe to literally cut a rift to other worlds.

No, it's not because the spell goes wrong.
My version is golden axe basically is an evil weapon.
He's not really ressurecting the dead ones, he tricked them.
Those are evil creatures in disguise who's granted the memory of the dead one.
It's like the worms on Kamen Rider Kabuto TV series, aliens who pretended to be human they gained memories from.
To give a conflict to the protagonist, not just the ususal good vs evil story.

Why would Death Bringer let Death Adder in the front and take all the glory while he wanted to be remained unknown (at least until the heroes found his existence after being told by the king that they saved).
My version is because Death Bringer is the evil Golden Axe's spirit himself turned into flesh.
He manipulated Death Adder to get what he want.
Death Adder is also the closest one to his ideal version of evil,
that's why he copied his form (but with different color).

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2022, 05:57:32 am »
I want to be surprised so I'm hopeful for a new gameplay.
Still what I wanted back then was many characters with different gameplay-style that could blend together.
And that's already achieved in Dragon's Crown.
I kinda like how fighter could change his sword to almost any weapon he found
how archer could pick arrows that were used by enemies before
and was surprised how Sorceress could revived fallen enemies to make them our partners in fight.
Riding a sabretooth or a raptor instead of dragons and interesting enemies (including killer rabbit boss).
So many things that made me surprised. I like to be surprised.

It's just a shame back then Atlus wasn't part of SEGA yet.
Because if it was, I'm pretty sure SEGA would let Vanillaware to make this game as Golden Axe's sequel,
not just spiritual successor.

Never played Dragon Crown but it does look spot on in side-scrolling beat 'em up gameplay. And the girls are sexy as well. Dragon Crown would likely get that movie deal over Golden Axe... though probably be better off as an animated movie. Can't imagine they can get actors with those badonka-donks and bazookas.
I think they're showing up only on where the heroes are... since they were revived by Golden Axe (my opinion).
Before the giant eagle stage, some of them were already showing up in the end of stage 2.
I guess so. Maybe if someone scattered hydra's teeth in advance on the eagles back. I still believe the Golden Axe was the source of power for the skeleton spell and not that cause of it.
The snakes probably yes, what about the corpses?
I think it was just a pile of corpses. Maybe past victims or so. We see the snakes slither through the corpses, form his body and the corpses just explode out the way. After all, it wouldn't make sense to pressume Adder was one of those corpses at the beginning of the fight given he's the one who stole the axe to begin with and conquered Yuria. One of his minions would be like "Oh! The boss just died and left this axe here. I guess I'll take it and rule Yuria now."

I think the corpses were just for show.
PC version version's also the same with Mega Drive.
You got one more final stage and Death Bringer as final boss.

I guess they change the ending for the home version
because the arcade version's ending is too comedic.
Yeah but is it "canon" though? And does that mena Death Bringer was the master mind, not Death Adder? The ending isn't that clear on the matter. Plus it skips the cool snake scene.
No, it's not because the spell goes wrong.
My version is golden axe basically is an evil weapon.
He's not really ressurecting the dead ones, he tricked them.
Those are evil creatures in disguise who's granted the memory of the dead one.
It's like the worms on Kamen Rider Kabuto TV series, aliens who pretended to be human they gained memories from.
To give a conflict to the protagonist, not just the ususal good vs evil story.
I can imagine your version of the axe once belonging to Dark Guld. Dark Guld wasn't just a titan/giant, but he was present at the very war of the titans where the legend of the Golden Axe began. And given the sound of his name and the armour he wears, I wouldn't be surprised if he wa the original owner of the axe.

For your version of the axe, I can understand. I regard my version of the Golden Axe like the Triforce.
For my version of the golden axe:
  • Was forged during a titanomachy on Yuria. Likely created by powerful gods to end the wart in their favour. As for how the ae was made is unknown but it's powers can be used for good or bad, regardless the intentions of the weilder.
  • Gives the holder of the axe great strength and endurance. Near-invulnerable endurance makes them boss-tier characters and their newfound strength makes swinging the axe with such ease and deadly precision. The axe maybe provide invincibility with the acception of harm from the axe itself but the opponent will have to turn the axe against the holder, either with trickery or skilled to make the axe fly out the holders hand and fall on them.
  • The axe is a source of great magic. I pressume sorcery is common in the land of Yuria with some spells and rituals more complicated than others. Spells however will be much more powerful and easier to cast with the golden axe as a source of power or conduit for spells. Perhaps the axe is capable of turning the holders will into magic (such as limited wish-granting) and maybe perform some miracles such as healing and maybe resurrecting the recently deceased but I wouldn't want "and they all came back to life and live happily ever after" sort of endings with the axe.
  • The axe can be destroyed, with it's powers divided amongst the fragments. The axe can also be melted down and used for other things such as Zoma's potion or Panchos' armour. (In my GoldEdge game idea, nine fragments of the Golden Axe are melted down and added into the forging of nine seperate weapons, each weapon with a various power. When all nine weapons are reunited they will magically reform the axe.)
As for how I imagine the "Sega Cinematic Universe" version of the axe:
  • Yuria once being a country or a continent on Wachowski's Earth along time a go, somewhen during the bronze age (or better yet the "hyborian age" if it's not a copyrighted thing). The axe was created during a titanomachy by three "gods", who were actually travellers from another world.
  • The golden axe is made from the same metal the rings are made from. The three gods believed that the fate of this world was more important than their means to return home and thus melted down all their rings to forge the axe and bestowed the metal with divine powers. (Or maybe they saved at least one ring each to go home with.)
  • Same as the above powers I mentioned, but the axe may also have the ability to create portals like the rings did. Only instead of rings, the axe can create rifts by concentrating on the desired location and swinging the axe through the air to "cut" a rift through space.
Why would Death Bringer let Death Adder in the front and take all the glory while he wanted to be remained unknown (at least until the heroes found his existence after being told by the king that they saved).
My version is because Death Bringer is the evil Golden Axe's spirit himself turned into flesh.
He manipulated Death Adder to get what he want.
Death Adder is also the closest one to his ideal version of evil,
that's why he copied his form (but with different color).

Going with my Dark Guld theory, Death Bringer could of been an "avatar" of Dark Guld. But Death Bringers inclusion was still a little confusing. I still think the Arcade version is more "canon".
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 08:28:21 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2022, 01:30:00 am »
Never played Dragon Crown but it does look spot on in side-scrolling beat 'em up gameplay. And the girls are sexy as well. Dragon Crown would likely get that movie deal over Golden Axe... though probably be better off as an animated movie. Can't imagine they can get actors with those badonka-donks and bazookas.

It could always be toned down.
Movie's character design rarely to be game /comic accurate anyway.
Hollywood always changing heroine's costume in the movie version.
Examples :

Kitana

Mai Shiranui :

Red Sonja :

While of course it's always better to have this, we're still got to be realistic

I guess so. Maybe if someone scattered hydra's teeth in advance on the eagles back. I still believe the Golden Axe was the source of power for the skeleton spell and not that cause of it.I think it was just a pile of corpses. Maybe past victims or so.

Or may be it's from previous heroes that challenging him before Gillius, Ax, and Tyris came.

We see the snakes slither through the corpses, form his body and the corpses just explode out the way. After all, it wouldn't make sense to pressume Adder was one of those corpses at the beginning of the fight given he's the one who stole the axe to begin with and conquered Yuria. One of his minions would be like "Oh! The boss just died and left this axe here. I guess I'll take it and rule Yuria now."

I think the corpses were just for show.Yeah but is it "canon" though?

Since I think Mega Drive and PC version was the canon one,
Death Adder's just showing up normally is the right approach.
That's why the Mega Drive version skip the cool snake scene, because it make no sense to the story.
He should be wandering around ordering his minions,
not hiding himself by changing into snakes.

And does that mean Death Bringer was the master mind, not Death Adder?
The ending isn't that clear on the matter.
 Plus it skips the cool snake scene.

They could be just working together for the same goal.
Death Bringer wanted to see the world in chaos, but not interested in ruling it.
Death Adder wanted to rule the world, whatever it takes.
Just like Jedah and Gill in Street Fighter vs Darkstalkers.

I can imagine your version of the axe once belonging to Dark Guld. Dark Guld wasn't just a titan/giant, but he was present at the very war of the titans where the legend of the Golden Axe began. And given the sound of his name and the armour he wears, I wouldn't be surprised if he wa the original owner of the axe.

For your version of the axe, I can understand. I regard my version of the Golden Axe like the Triforce.
For my version of the golden axe:
  • Was forged during a titanomachy on Yuria. Likely created by powerful gods to end the wart in their favour. As for how the ae was made is unknown but it's powers can be used for good or bad, regardless the intentions of the weilder.
  • Gives the holder of the axe great strength and endurance. Near-invulnerable endurance makes them boss-tier characters and their newfound strength makes swinging the axe with such ease and deadly precision. The axe maybe provide invincibility with the acception of harm from the axe itself but the opponent will have to turn the axe against the holder, either with trickery or skilled to make the axe fly out the holders hand and fall on them.
  • The axe is a source of great magic. I pressume sorcery is common in the land of Yuria with some spells and rituals more complicated than others. Spells however will be much more powerful and easier to cast with the golden axe as a source of power or conduit for spells. Perhaps the axe is capable of turning the holders will into magic (such as limited wish-granting) and maybe perform some miracles such as healing and maybe resurrecting the recently deceased but I wouldn't want "and they all came back to life and live happily ever after" sort of endings with the axe.
  • The axe can be destroyed, with it's powers divided amongst the fragments. The axe can also be melted down and used for other things such as Zoma's potion or Panchos' armour. (In my GoldEdge game idea, nine fragments of the Golden Axe are melted down and added into the forging of nine seperate weapons, each weapon with a various power. When all nine weapons are reunited they will magically reform the axe.)
As for how I imagine the "Sega Cinematic Universe" version of the axe:
  • Yuria once being a country or a continent on Wachowski's Earth along time a go, somewhen during the bronze age (or better yet the "hyborian age" if it's not a copyrighted thing). The axe was created during a titanomachy by three "gods", who were actually travellers from another world.
  • The golden axe is made from the same metal the rings are made from. The three gods believed that the fate of this world was more important than their means to return home and thus melted down all their rings to forge the axe and bestowed the metal with divine powers. (Or maybe they saved at least one ring each to go home with.)
  • Same as the above powers I mentioned, but the axe may also have the ability to create portals like the rings did. Only instead of rings, the axe can create rifts by concentrating on the desired location and swinging the axe through the air to "cut" a rift through space.
Going with my Dark Guld theory, Death Bringer could of been an "avatar" of Dark Guld. But Death Bringers inclusion was still a little confusing. I still think the Arcade version is more "canon".

Dark Guld theory seems possible.
It's just I don't like him, his design was too bland and forgetable.
I doubt fans have long lasting impression of him.
Unless those who grew up with Sonic The Comic of course.
Even his bodyguard (Headless Death Armor) was more memorable than him.

Arcade version's ending was too wacky
Characters came up from arcade screen.
Tyris and friends suddenly isekai-ed to our world.
There's no way it's canon for me.
Though Golden Axe characters in modern world wasn't a bad idea.

Still there's drawback of making Mega Drive / Genesis as a canon one
Tyris Flare's canon costume would be weirder :

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2022, 06:43:53 am »
I can't be bothered to keep breaking down the quotes all the time so I'll summerize the bits.
It could always be toned down.
Movie's character design rarely to be game /comic accurate anyway.
Hollywood always changing heroine's costume in the movie version.
True but judging from those screenshots of Dragon Crown, the characters (mostly the females) look somewhat exaggerated in their voluptous figure. Even the fairy and the elf firl with more slender bodies are a bit exaggerated in posture. and the knight is just a wall of muscle. Makes me wonder if the thief is also there to steal the hearts of the ladies than just the treasures. I think a movie of Dragons Crown would be better off animated so that they may stick to some of it's exaggerations.
Like the Bayonetta movie. I bet they knew they couldn't make that live action because Bayonetta ups the antics by a hundred so making it animated would be better off.
Or may be it's from previous heroes that challenging him before Gillius, Ax, and Tyris came.
That could work. The hydra's teeth brought on the skeletons of those who had fallen from the hydra. Though I think it's useful to carry an army in your pouch to produce anywhere you need it.
Since I think Mega Drive and PC version was the canon one,
Death Adder's just showing up normally is the right approach.
That's why the Mega Drive version skip the cool snake scene, because it make no sense to the story.
He should be wandering around ordering his minions,
not hiding himself by changing into snakes.
The snakes makes him look more unearthly. Kind of like Thulsa Doom's ability to turn into a large serpent. Thulsa Doom was still very much human but his sorcery allowed him to achieve occult status.
Maybe Death Adder turns into many snakes in order to spy on the heroes or find it more efficient to travel? Or simply because it terrifies his minions or shows his divinity which keeps them in line.
They could be just working together for the same goal.
Death Bringer wanted to see the world in chaos, but not interested in ruling it.
Death Adder wanted to rule the world, whatever it takes.
Just like Jedah and Gill in Street Fighter vs Darkstalkers.
At least Jedah and Gill had seperate character models. The fact Death Bringer was simply a recolour of Death Adder and both using the word "Death" in their name, to me it feels like Death Bringer was a last minute decision in the development of the game. It's why I regard the Arcade version the original continuity. The things you criticize about the Arcade version I find cool and we vice-versa on the Mega Drive/PC versions.
Dark Guld theory seems possible.
It's just I don't like him, his design was too bland and forgetable.
I doubt fans have long lasting impression of him.
Unless those who grew up with Sonic The Comic of course.
Even his bodyguard (Headless Death Armor) was more memorable than him.
It's just he wears this bright gold armour that to me makes it look like he had the armour and axe made as a matching set at the time. And with a name like "Dark Guld" makes it sound like has more of a connection to the axe.

In my GoldEdge game idea, I like the idea of the hero being haunted by a mysterious figure who turns out to be Dark Guld, a spirit bounded to the axe and wants to see it restored. Think of it like Joker from Arkham Knight, though maybe doesn't show up as often.
Arcade version's ending was too wacky
Characters came up from arcade screen.
Tyris and friends suddenly isekai-ed to our world.
There's no way it's canon for me.
Though Golden Axe characters in modern world wasn't a bad idea.
As much as I believe the Arcade version is the canon version. Even I admit the post-credit scene was perhaps there for a laugh and not really canon ending.

However that post-credit scene did inspire me for how GoldEdge starts. A bunch of youths find an abandoned Sega arcade, you get to choose and customize one of the youths to play as. Despite no power and how run down it is they find an oricinal arcade machine of Golden Axe still operatable and mysteriously powered. On the dash board is a golden arcade token. When your character starts to play the machine they are isekei'd to Yuria where they must reassemble the Golden Axe.
This introduction is a slight nod to the funny post-credit scene. Only instead of Golden Axe coming to the modern world at the end of the game it's a modern hero entering the Golden Axe world at the beginning.
Still there's drawback of making Mega Drive / Genesis as a canon one
Tyris Flare's canon costume would be weirder :
As much as I like skimpy amazon warriors I'm not that hung up over the difference of Tyris Flare's chainmail thong. They added bones and leather straps to her Beast Rider design anyway so they could probably redesign our heroes if they ever remade Golden Axe. I prefer it if they lean toward more classic based designs than Beast Rider designs and I like the use of colour than just browns and dull red.

Offline Berto

« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2022, 08:46:59 pm »
I can't be bothered to keep breaking down the quotes all the time so I'll summerize the bits.True but judging from those screenshots of Dragon Crown, the characters (mostly the females) look somewhat exaggerated in their voluptous figure. Even the fairy and the elf firl with more slender bodies are a bit exaggerated in posture. and the knight is just a wall of muscle. Makes me wonder if the thief is also there to steal the hearts of the ladies than just the treasures. I think a movie of Dragons Crown would be better off animated so that they may stick to some of it's exaggerations.
Like the Bayonetta movie. I bet they knew they couldn't make that live action because Bayonetta ups the antics by a hundred so making it animated would be better off.

It has barbarian-theme, of course it full of wall of muscle.

That could work. The hydra's teeth brought on the skeletons of those who had fallen from the hydra. Though I think it's useful to carry an army in your pouch to produce anywhere you need it.The snakes makes him look more unearthly. Kind of like Thulsa Doom's ability to turn into a large serpent. Thulsa Doom was still very much human but his sorcery allowed him to achieve occult status.
Maybe Death Adder turns into many snakes in order to spy on the heroes or find it more efficient to travel? Or simply because it terrifies his minions or shows his divinity which keeps them in line.At least Jedah and Gill had seperate character models. The fact Death Bringer was simply a recolour of Death Adder and both using the word "Death" in their name, to me it feels like Death Bringer was a last minute decision in the development of the game. It's why I regard the Arcade version the original continuity.

It's simply a recolour because of rom size limitation.
If it wasn't limited, I'm sure they'll have different design.
For example in SEGA Heroes :
Death Adder, Death Adder Jr, and Death Bringer each has different design.
Too bad Death Bringer (and bunch of other characters) didn't manage to show up because the game was already terminated at the half the story.

Also some trivia :
SEGA of America sometimes has a different version of story that's different than SOJ.
Remember Sonic CD? They changed the manual with their own version.
Amy Rose's name was changed into Princess Sally.
That's happened with Golden Axe on Genesis too.
The changed Death Adder into Death Adder Jr
and changed Death Bringer to Death Adder.

So according to Genesis manual...
This one is Death Adder Jr :

While this one is Death Adder :

So Genesis canon is even different than Mega Drive canon.
Mega Drive canon is still the original creator's vision :
The green and violet version is Death Bringer
and Death Adder Jr is only a boss in easy mode,
and also a boss in Game Gear version.
(though the US version changed the story again,
so that in Game Gear version it's Death Adder, not DA Jr.)

The things you criticize about the Arcade version I find cool and we vice-versa on the Mega Drive/PC versions.It's just he wears this bright gold armour that to me makes it look like he had the armour and axe made as a matching set at the time. And with a name like "Dark Guld" makes it sound like has more of a connection to the axe. In my GoldEdge game idea, I like the idea of the hero being haunted by a mysterious figure who turns out to be Dark Guld, a spirit bounded to the axe and wants to see it restored. Think of it like Joker from Arkham Knight, though maybe doesn't show up as often.

I always think if we treat Golden Axe II with Dark Guld on Mega Drive as canon,
then the prequel on Mega Drive is the canon one, not the arcade version.
Because Golden Axe II on Mega Drive is the sequel of Golden Axe on Mega Drive.

As much as I believe the Arcade version is the canon version. Even I admit the post-credit scene was perhaps there for a laugh and not really canon ending.

However that post-credit scene did inspire me for how GoldEdge starts. A bunch of youths find an abandoned Sega arcade, you get to choose and customize one of the youths to play as. Despite no power and how run down it is they find an oricinal arcade machine of Golden Axe still operatable and mysteriously powered. On the dash board is a golden arcade token. When your character starts to play the machine they are isekei'd to Yuria where they must reassemble the Golden Axe.
This introduction is a slight nod to the funny post-credit scene. Only instead of Golden Axe coming to the modern world at the end of the game it's a modern hero entering the Golden Axe world at the beginning.As much as I like skimpy amazon warriors I'm not that hung up over the difference of Tyris Flare's chainmail thong. They added bones and leather straps to her Beast Rider design anyway so they could probably redesign our heroes if they ever remade Golden Axe. I prefer it if they lean toward more classic based designs than Beast Rider designs and I like the use of colour than just browns and dull red.

Well... Let's agree to disagree then.
You prefer the arcade version to be canon
I prefer the Mega Drive and PC version to be canon
Some people may prefer Beast Rider to be canon.
Other prefer Golden Axe Myth (where Death Adder used to be one of the heroes) to be the canon one.
That's fine. They all have own charm and merit.
We don't have to always agree to each other.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:15:20 am by Berto »

Offline Berto

« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2022, 12:14:28 am »
Golden Axe mock-ups fan art for the pico8 by castpixel

"my Golden Axe mock-ups for the pico8.
RTs appreciated!
128x128px 16 color"

Source : https://twitter.com/castpixel/status/1486770712740339712
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 03:38:10 am by Berto »

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2022, 07:03:21 am »
It has barbarian-theme, of course it full of wall of muscle.

It's like trees took manly shapes and were around three-quarters done when they did the muscles.
It's simply a recolour because of rom size limitation.
If it wasn't limited, I'm sure they'll have different design.
For example in SEGA Heroes :
Death Adder, Death Adder Jr, and Death Bringer each has different design.
Too bad Death Bringer (and bunch of other characters) didn't manage to show up because the game was already terminated at the half the story.

Also some trivia :
SEGA of America sometimes has a different version of story that's different than SOJ.
Remember Sonic CD? They changed the manual with their own version.
Amy Rose's name was changed into Princess Sally.
That's happened with Golden Axe on Genesis too.
The changed Death Adder into Death Adder Jr
and changed Death Bringer to Death Adder.

So according to Genesis manual...
This one is Death Adder Jr :

While this one is Death Adder :

So Genesis canon is even different than Mega Drive canon.
Mega Drive canon is still the original creator's vision :
The green and violet version is Death Bringer
and Death Adder Jr is only a boss in easy mode,
and also a boss in Game Gear version.
(though the US version changed the story again,
so that in Game Gear version it's Death Adder, not DA Jr.)
So... Death Bringer is Death Adders father?
I always think if we treat Golden Axe II with Dark Guld on Mega Drive as canon,
then the prequel on Mega Drive is the canon one, not the arcade version.
Because Golden Axe II on Mega Drive is the sequel of Golden Axe on Mega Drive.
That makes sense though I'm still not entirely sure the order of things. After all The Revenge of Death Adder is technically the sequel to the first arcade game. So maybe the arcade contuniuty consist of those two games and The Duel.
Well... Let's agree to disagree then.
You prefer the arcade version to be canon
I prefer the Mega Drive and PC version to be canon
Some people may prefer Beast Rider to be canon.
Other prefer Golden Axe Myth (where Death Adder used to be one of the heroes) to be the canon one.
That's fine. They all have own charm and merit.
We don't have to always agree to each other.

Isn't Golden Axe Myth a fan game? Thus non-canon?

Eitherway, this is why we need a proper reboot. Something all Golden Axe fans can enjoy and agree on while at the same time revitalizing the series. But that's never gonna happen.

Offline Berto

« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2022, 08:44:48 pm »
It's like trees took manly shapes and were around three-quarters done when they did the muscles.

Talking about trees, it's kinda spoiler but there's this tree in Dragon's Crown.

So... Death Bringer is Death Adders father?

If Disney bought SEGA, it could be reality.

That makes sense though I'm still not entirely sure the order of things. After all The Revenge of Death Adder is technically the sequel to the first arcade game. So maybe the arcade contuniuty consist of those two games and The Duel.

The Duel art direction is so different compared to the previous two, it's like a separated universe already.

But story-wise yes,  arcade continuity might consist of GA, Revenge, and The Duel.

Isn't Golden Axe Myth a fan game? Thus non-canon?

Eitherway, this is why we need a proper reboot. Something all Golden Axe fans can enjoy and agree on while at the same time revitalizing the series. But that's never gonna happen.

Definitely non canon, but when fans don't like the official canon, they could make their version of it.

Offline Berto

« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2022, 12:13:54 am »
Gillius Rockhead (Golden Axe: The Duel) joins Samurai Shodown 2 DUEL!
(Homebrew/Fan Game for SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JanLLKNNgc