Author Topic: Golden Axe - Official Thread  (Read 105477 times)

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Golden Axe - Official Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2022, 05:51:49 am »
Talking about trees, it's kinda spoiler but there's this tree in Dragon's Crown.
Surprised they didn't put boobs or sex appeal on it.
If Disney bought SEGA, it could be reality.
Doubt that will ever happen, or if I even want it to happen. My problem with Disney is that they've become to big for their own good, that "Disney Magic" is a façade for cutthroat corproate tactics.
The Duel art direction is so different compared to the previous two, it's like a separated universe already.

But story-wise yes,  arcade continuity might consist of GA, Revenge, and The Duel.
Yeah The Duel was probably made by a diffrent team who only had a few reference of the original series and just went anime because everyone liked anime at the time even if at the expense of the cinematic-realism the series was trying to go for. I will admit including elves, bomb experts and leather-clad doctors with swords somewhat breaks the immersion. After all Golden Axe is suppose to be based in it's own hyborian age, or at least an early bronze age of sorts which I've seen rarely done in fantasy-genre which usually favours middle-age settings. The Duel just feels like it threw in generic gantasy settings crap in regardless of what the previous arcade games set up for itself.

This is why if we ever get a Golden Axe reboot, if they can't use the "hyborian age" for copyright reasons then the very least insistant on setting it in the bronze age. There's loads and loads of middle-age fantasy so let's settle with early-age instead.
Definitely non canon, but when fans don't like the official canon, they could make their version of it.
True... but I think it's only canon if Sega approoves of it. That or it makes logical sense.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2022, 10:29:52 pm »
Surprised they didn't put boobs or sex appeal on it.

Actually.. Okay I need to stop spoiling this game..
I still kinda regret spoiling about killer rabbits before.
That's one of the biggest surprises in the game.

Doubt that will ever happen, or if I even want it to happen. My problem with Disney is that they've become to big for their own good, that "Disney Magic" is a façade for cutthroat corproate tactics.

Evolve or die.
That's how Disney choose on how to adapt in the modern world.
We may not like it but that's how they chose to survive.

Yeah The Duel was probably made by a diffrent team who only had a few reference of the original series and just went anime because everyone liked anime at the time even if at the expense of the cinematic-realism the series was trying to go for. I will admit including elves, bomb experts and leather-clad doctors with swords somewhat breaks the immersion. After all Golden Axe is suppose to be based in it's own hyborian age, or at least an early bronze age of sorts which I've seen rarely done in fantasy-genre which usually favours middle-age settings. The Duel just feels like it threw in generic gantasy settings crap in regardless of what the previous arcade games set up for itself.

This is why if we ever get a Golden Axe reboot, if they can't use the "hyborian age" for copyright reasons then the very least insistant on setting it in the bronze age. There's loads and loads of middle-age fantasy so let's settle with early-age instead.

I wonder how many hundred years have passed from Golden Axe to Golden Axe: The Duel.
All I know that Gillius Rockhead (Golden Axe: The Duel) is the grandson of Gillius Thunderhead (Golden Axe)
And Dwarves could live hundred years..

True... but I think it's only canon if Sega approoves of it. That or it makes logical sense.

Yep, or treat it as multiverse.. since SEGA's version of canon is sometimes changing..

Offline Berto

« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2022, 12:34:50 am »
Milan Flare fan art by Zab Zarock

Link : https://www.instagram.com/zabzarock/?hl=en

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2022, 04:58:24 am »
Evolve or die.
That's how Disney choose on how to adapt in the modern world.
We may not like it but that's how they chose to survive.

I know. I just find it hard to enjoy "Disney Magic" when it's an illusion to profit from our nostalgia.
I wonder how many hundred years have passed from Golden Axe to Golden Axe: The Duel.
All I know that Gillius Rockhead (Golden Axe: The Duel) is the grandson of Gillius Thunderhead (Golden Axe)
And Dwarves could live hundred years..

Yep, or treat it as multiverse.. since SEGA's version of canon is sometimes changing..
True, but even if a dwarf can live for say 300 years, th bronze-age lasted approximately 3300 BC to 1200 BC.
Given I believe Conan the Barbarian was the basis of the Golden Axe series, the Hyborian Age takes place "between the sinking of Atlantis to the beginning of recording ancient history", so maybe somewhen between the transition of stone to bronze age, which would make sense given some human races in the hyborian age look more primitive than others.

So The Duel taking big skips in civilized progress is a bit confusing. Especially Doc with his designer leather jeans and shoes.

Elves introduced into this fantasy world, I don't mind. We have dwarves, why not elves. Given Keel is the only example we have of elves... why do they look flamboyant? I mean, in most medieval fantasy that's normal but I always imagine bronze-age elves being more druidic than bedazzled.
Milan Flare fan art by Zab Zarock

Link : https://www.instagram.com/zabzarock/?hl=en
Not to be too inappropriate but there's something about those exposed thighs like that which is sexy. That and I'm a pygophilist.

Offline Berto

« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2022, 08:54:37 pm »
True, but even if a dwarf can live for say 300 years, th bronze-age lasted approximately 3300 BC to 1200 BC.
Given I believe Conan the Barbarian was the basis of the Golden Axe series, the Hyborian Age takes place "between the sinking of Atlantis to the beginning of recording ancient history", so maybe somewhen between the transition of stone to bronze age, which would make sense given some human races in the hyborian age look more primitive than others.

So The Duel taking big skips in civilized progress is a bit confusing. Especially Doc with his designer leather jeans and shoes.

Elves introduced into this fantasy world, I don't mind. We have dwarves, why not elves. Given Keel is the only example we have of elves... why do they look flamboyant? I mean, in most medieval fantasy that's normal but I always imagine bronze-age elves being more druidic than bedazzled.

Keel was definitely not represent what elves most look like
but I had no problem with Keel
He reminded me of Marvel's Malekith though,
the Dark Elf of Svartalfheim.
Comic version of course, not movie version.

But Doc ....
Doc is really the one that feels out of place.
At first I thought he was some kind of time travel hero from future,
decendant of Ax or Tyris.
He reminded me of Kevin Sorbo's Hercules / Young Hercules.
That alone make the fact that he's not fit in "Conan The Barbarian" movie approach.

Not to be too inappropriate but there's something about those exposed thighs like that which is sexy. That and I'm a pygophilist.

I think ZabZarock (the one who made the arts) is more into that too..
Usually fanartists emphasize on boobs, but not him.

Especially this one : Cammy (NSFW!)

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2022, 07:28:09 am »
Keel was definitely not represent what elves most look like
but I had no problem with Keel
He reminded me of Marvel's Malekith though,
the Dark Elf of Svartalfheim.
Comic version of course, not movie version.

Yeah I can't help but find The Duel rather wishy-washy because of it.

If I were to introduce elves into Golden Axe, I would make them celtic druidic. Druids have been around since 4th century BCE, maybe older. Plus it would fit in with the theme of the stereotypical love for nature, trees and such.
Keel being from "Crystal Haven" is described a place of ice. So I can imagine Keel from the northern cold regions. Maybe Iceland, north of Greenland or Scandinavia.
But Doc ....
Doc is really the one that feels out of place.
At first I thought he was some kind of time travel hero from future,
decendant of Ax or Tyris.
He reminded me of Kevin Sorbo's Hercules / Young Hercules.
That alone make the fact that he's not fit in "Conan The Barbarian" movie approach.

All the more reason why I believe The Duel was moade from popular fantasy tropes at the time.
"Everyone likes Tolkein elves, let's throw that in."
"Xenaverse shows are popular with tighht leather jeans and warrior women, let's add that in."
"Guy with 10-12th century bombs that look cartoony? Sure why not."

Meanwhile games like The Revenge of Death Adder and Golden Axe III introduce a new cast of characters more fitting to the era they could of worked with.
I think ZabZarock (the one who made the arts) is more into that too..
Usually fanartists emphasize on boobs, but not him.

Especially this one : Cammy (NSFW!)

Me gusta asside, is she an actual cosplay model? Because checking ZabZarock's devART account it might be a guy who is the photographer or director and some of these pictures look kinda CGI.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 07:34:05 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2022, 08:05:42 pm »
Yeah I can't help but find The Duel rather wishy-washy because of it.

If I were to introduce elves into Golden Axe, I would make them celtic druidic. Druids have been around since 4th century BCE, maybe older. Plus it would fit in with the theme of the stereotypical love for nature, trees and such.
Keel being from "Crystal Haven" is described a place of ice. So I can imagine Keel from the northern cold regions. Maybe Iceland, north of Greenland or Scandinavia.All the more reason why I believe The Duel was moade from popular fantasy tropes at the time.
"Everyone likes Tolkein elves, let's throw that in."
"Xenaverse shows are popular with tighht leather jeans and warrior women, let's add that in."
"Guy with 10-12th century bombs that look cartoony? Sure why not."

Meanwhile games like The Revenge of Death Adder and Golden Axe III introduce a new cast of characters more fitting to the era they could of worked with.

Yeah... Duel is like Smash Bros then but using OC...

A : Let's gather all these stars into one vs fighting games..
B : But sire, they are all from different era..
A :

Me gusta asside, is she an actual cosplay model? Because checking ZabZarock's devART account it might be a guy who is the photographer or director and some of these pictures look kinda CGI.

Yep, they are all CGI. ZabZarock is the artist who made all those pictures.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2022, 11:03:36 am »
Yeah... Duel is like Smash Bros then but using OC...

A : Let's gather all these stars into one vs fighting games..
B : But sire, they are all from different era..
A :

Golden Axe really needs a jump start because of it, as well as a stable established continuty.
Yep, they are all CGI. ZabZarock is the artist who made all those pictures.
I wonder what they'll be like in games?

Offline Berto

« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2022, 12:06:25 am »
Golden Axe really needs a jump start because of it, as well as a stable established continuty.

How about Golden Axe cartoon series?
Like ThunderCats Roar?

I wonder what they'll be like in games?

With SJW were constantly attacking the way female character dressed,
I don't think they'll put risque costume like those in popular franchise anymore.
They're now designed with more realistic approach.

Or at least given many options of costumes to put on,
with risque costumes are just few of many options.

Still depended on the company of course.

Capcom might toned down Juri costume a little
From this :

To this :

But SNK that's used to remove Mai's bounciness in US version of KOF games doesn't give a damn about it anymore :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S1CYbJiZ_8

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2022, 07:59:45 am »
How about Golden Axe cartoon series?
Like ThunderCats Roar?

I... hhng- Y'know what? Victor Courtright, the guy who designed Thundercats Rawr as it is, he also made Aquaman: King of Atlantis. And honestly, I think the Aquaman cartoon is alright. It's not "great" but I like the dynamic between Aquaman and Mera, the energy of the show, the voice casting etc. I can see why, like Thundercats, there would be Aquaman fans who wouldn't like this rendition of Aquaman, but I've given King of atlantis a go and I honestly enjoyed the energy and characters of the show much more than Thundercats Rawr.

So yeah while a Golden Axe cartoon series will be the most left-field out-of-place, craziest thing Sega would ever commision... it may still not be entirely  abad thing and would be enjoyable. And besides it would still offer more developed story than the games where you just go kill some evil bad guy for his axe.

Plus, I can so totally imagine that cartoon Gilius being voiced by Brian Doyle-Murray. He would nail the role.
With SJW were constantly attacking the way female character dressed,
I don't think they'll put risque costume like those in popular franchise anymore.
They're now designed with more realistic approach.

Or at least given many options of costumes to put on,
with risque costumes are just few of many options.

Still depended on the company of course.

Capcom might toned down Juri costume a little
From this :

To this :

But SNK that's used to remove Mai's bounciness in US version of KOF games doesn't give a damn about it anymore :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S1CYbJiZ_8
I ment if ZabZarock made these models, could they be imported into Unreal or Unity engine?

But yeah as mucha s I believe barbarians and amazons should stick to the stereotypes, Tyris will probably be given more clothing even if I find the Red Sonja like bikini armour iconic.

Offline Berto

« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2022, 12:18:14 am »
I... hhng- Y'know what? Victor Courtright, the guy who designed Thundercats Rawr as it is, he also made Aquaman: King of Atlantis. And honestly, I think the Aquaman cartoon is alright. It's not "great" but I like the dynamic between Aquaman and Mera, the energy of the show, the voice casting etc. I can see why, like Thundercats, there would be Aquaman fans who wouldn't like this rendition of Aquaman, but I've given King of atlantis a go and I honestly enjoyed the energy and characters of the show much more than Thundercats Rawr.
So yeah while a Golden Axe cartoon series will be the most left-field out-of-place, craziest thing Sega would ever commision... it may still not be entirely  abad thing and would be enjoyable. And besides it would still offer more developed story than the games where you just go kill some evil bad guy for his axe.
Plus, I can so totally imagine that cartoon Gilius being voiced by Brian Doyle-Murray. He would nail the role.

Yes, Brian Doyle-Murray would be fit if Gillius had a comedic approach.
He seems always look so serious on the game.
One thing that I like if this style of cartoon happened with that art... at least they still kept their iconic costumes.

I ment if ZabZarock made these models, could they be imported into Unreal or Unity engine?

Depended whether he's familiar with the engine or not.
May be he could, but what for if nobody's gonna follow up with it.

But yeah as mucha s I believe barbarians and amazons should stick to the stereotypes, Tyris will probably be given more clothing even if I find the Red Sonja like bikini armour iconic.

Even He-Man was given more clothing (cape added) even in the movie version.

Tyris original costume was thankfully unlockable in Beast Rider.
But it's still not enough for me since her long hair is gone.
She still looks like someone else cosplaying as Tyris.

And while we're at it..
Here's ZabZarock fanart of Beast Rider Tyris Flare with the unlockable classic costume :

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2022, 01:23:02 pm »
Yes, Brian Doyle-Murray would be fit if Gillius had a comedic approach.
He seems always look so serious on the game.
One thing that I like if this style of cartoon happened with that art... at least they still kept their iconic costumes.
Yeah. And while Ax ad Tyris costumes appear skimpyish it's not that revealing for a cartoon. Honestly Tyris "modesty" and I guess her design reminds me a bit of Eris from GAoB&M.

Depended whether he's familiar with the engine or not.
May be he could, but what for if nobody's gonna follow up with it.
Just would be nice to have video games... or at least simulations, with such quality models.
Even He-Man was given more clothing (cape added) even in the movie version.

Tyris original costume was thankfully unlockable in Beast Rider.
But it's still not enough for me since her long hair is gone.
She still looks like someone else cosplaying as Tyris.
That's true. it just looked rather out of place and just there for fan service. Which is a pity because I bet with just a few modifications it would look more befitting for the Beast Riders world while still appealing to the classic.

And while we're at it..
Here's ZabZarock fanart of Beast Rider Tyris Flare with the unlockable classic costume :

See now that isn't so bad as an example but perhaps can go a bit more to look more fitting. Like maybe her armour is made from dragon scales granted from the Great Dragon. She could sli pin a joke saying "Isn't it rather impractical for armour?" in which cake the Great Dragon may ay the scales hold his power which will protect her.

Offline Berto

« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2022, 09:47:09 pm »
Yeah. And while Ax ad Tyris costumes appear skimpyish it's not that revealing for a cartoon. Honestly Tyris "modesty" and I guess her design reminds me a bit of Eris from GAoB&M.

Eris feels kinda evilish though.

That's true. it just looked rather out of place and just there for fan service. Which is a pity because I bet with just a few modifications it would look more befitting for the Beast Riders world while still appealing to the classic.

Almost everything is brown in the game, the land, the enemies, and even the sky.

Gillius should've been the main character there since his green costume would make our eyes fresher.

See now that isn't so bad as an example but perhaps can go a bit more to look more fitting. Like maybe her armour is made from dragon scales granted from the Great Dragon. She could sli pin a joke saying "Isn't it rather impractical for armour?" in which cake the Great Dragon may ay the scales hold his power which will protect her.

As for me the red and white colors are what make it iconic.
I even kinda dissapointed when they change the costume into just red in Golden Axe 2.
Changing it into scales would also make her look more like Sonja than Tyris.
Need a design that's still retain the red and white colors, but not too sexy.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2022, 04:35:10 am »
Eris feels kinda evilish though.

Almost everything is brown in the game, the land, the enemies, and even the sky.
It was sort of a trend back then. For some reason game developers thought "if I put a shit-tainted filter on our game, it will look more real!".
I mean, I understand why ancient-times games often have furs and leathers of grown and grey, it's because dye was an expensive commoditiy back then so green tunics and blue loinclothes would of been regarded a waste of dye. I wanted to bring COnan the Barbarian movie in as an example but... it's kinda hard to say. I mean most of the characters wore brown or drab coloured clothing but it still had a pop of colour than what Beast Riders had.

Gillius should've been the main character there since his green costume would make our eyes fresher.
All three of them should of been playable. But I guess Tyris was chosen because of sex appeal or something.
As for me the red and white colors are what make it iconic.
I even kinda dissapointed when they change the costume into just red in Golden Axe 2.
Changing it into scales would also make her look more like Sonja than Tyris.
Need a design that's still retain the red and white colors, but not too sexy.
While I know I just said dye was an expensive commodity back then and that such coloured clothing would of been regarded gaudish, at the same time I wholey agree with you.
Axe Battler
Tyris Flare
Gilias Thunderhead

Giving each character their own colour scheme makes them more individual and recognisable. In Beast Riders, they could of at least given the main three coloured cloth to decorate their armours with to make them more colour coded.

Offline Berto

« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2022, 09:55:45 pm »
It was sort of a trend back then. For some reason game developers thought "if I put a shit-tainted filter on our game, it will look more real!".
I mean, I understand why ancient-times games often have furs and leathers of grown and grey, it's because dye was an expensive commoditiy back then so green tunics and blue loinclothes would of been regarded a waste of dye. I wanted to bring COnan the Barbarian movie in as an example but... it's kinda hard to say. I mean most of the characters wore brown or drab coloured clothing but it still had a pop of colour than what Beast Riders had.

At least had 1 level that filled with grasses, there will be many green colors to compensate the brown outfits and weapons.

All three of them should of been playable. But I guess Tyris was chosen because of sex appeal or something.

Yes, i remember she also showed up in adult men magazine.
And there is always cosplay of her in game convention that promote the game.

While I know I just said dye was an expensive commodity back then and that such coloured clothing would of been regarded gaudish, at the same time I wholey agree with you.
Axe Battler
Tyris Flare
Gilias Thunderhead

Giving each character their own colour scheme makes them more individual and recognisable. In Beast Riders, they could of at least given the main three coloured cloth to decorate their armours with to make them more colour coded.

Indeed. They are already given iconic colors in the original game, how could they ignore them later on.