Author Topic: Super Monkey Ball - No Parachute, No Seat Belt, No Problem !!!  (Read 60858 times)

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Super Monkey Ball - No Parachute, No Seat Belt, No Problem !!!
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 07:41:42 am »
So is Paperball free or something? Because I don't get how Sega would allow it. I mean, fan games, sure. Sega are chill with fan games. They don't have to and they can revoke that creative freedom whenever they want but they seem pretty cool with fan games, as long as it's not for profit.
While paperball doesn't use any of the SMB characters it's still blatantly ripping off the gameplay. Can't they call shenanigans on that?

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2021, 08:44:19 pm »
So is Paperball free or something? Because I don't get how Sega would allow it. I mean, fan games, sure. Sega are chill with fan games. They don't have to and they can revoke that creative freedom whenever they want but they seem pretty cool with fan games, as long as it's not for profit.
While paperball doesn't use any of the SMB characters it's still blatantly ripping off the gameplay. Can't they call shenanigans on that?

It's not free since Steam version costs US$11,99
Switch version definitely will costs more with ESRB and Switch eshop tax
I guess SEGA is just going too soft
Even Taxi Chaos that's definitely a Crazy Taxi rip-off
SEGA's not just allowing it, but they helped to publish it for Asian market
Funny considering how hard they battled in "Sega vs Fox Interactive" War (aka Crazy Taxi vs. Simpsons Road Rage)

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2021, 06:55:26 am »
Taxi Chaos... I can sort of understand on account it could be more of a successor to Team6 Taxi series, they've been making games like Crazy Taxi since 2002 so I dunno why Taxi Chaos of all games is regarded the "successor" of Crazy Taxi when Team6 already made Taxi Challenge Berlin, Taxi Racer 2 (various countries), Taxi 3: eXtreme Rush and Super Taxi driver 2006.

Yes Team6's taxi series is ripping off Crazy Taxi to a degree but it's not like you can put a trademark on public vehicles for hire.

As for the "Sega vs Fox Interactive" War I don't know of it. Yes Simpsons Road Rage is definitely a lot like Crazy Taxi, but so is how PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is an obvious rip off of Super Smash Bros. but Nintendo doesn't lift a finger to sue Sony Entertainment.

I guess Paperball is in the same regard, it's just the gameplay of Super Monkey Ball is more unique and licenced than the genre it sets.

Wow, I'm some what reminded of Vrtua Fighter.
Sega: Hey world, look at this brand new fighting game we made! It's the worlds first fully 3D fighting game!
Namco, Team Ninja, Project Soul: Yoink!

Offline Berto

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2021, 06:33:47 pm »
I see. Probably aside from the similarities, the sales numbers also played a role.
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is considered a failure, the game did not sell well, so Nintendo didn't bat an eye.
Paperball sales are probably not as much as Super Monkey Ball franchises since it's an indie game, so SEGA didn't bat an eye.

The Simpsons: Road Rage on the other hand sold well, and with it released on PS2 (a system that sold a lot more than its rival, Dreamcast), it got more exposure than Crazy Taxi.
And the similarities I guess were too much (not just "inspired by") since Sega sued them over infringement of the 138 patent and then it could be considered succeed since Fox agreed to settled in private for that case for an unknown amount.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/off-brand-games-the-simpsons-road-rage-172670.phtml

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2021, 11:22:57 am »
Yeah but if a game company found a brand new unique genre of gaming, can they claim ownership of it? Do they have the right to do so?

Like my joke from before:
Wow, I'm some what reminded of Vrtua Fighter.
Sega: Hey world, look at this brand new fighting game we made! It's the worlds first fully 3D fighting game!
Namco, Team Ninja, Project Soul: Yoink!
Sega practically founded the 3D Fighters market with the debute of Virtua Fighter. However not including spin-offsthere has only been five Virtua Fighter games in total and these games arn't exactly top-of-the-list of fighting games out there.

But if it weren't for Virtua Fighter we wuldn't have game series like Tekken, Dead or Alive or SoulCalibur and these are usually the more talked about games than the Virtua Fighters games, which is what I brought up before on the Fighting Games thread of Virtua Fighters popularity and reputation over other fighting games that were based on it's founding concepts.

So has Sega ever pressed charges on Namco for ripping off their Virtua Fighters gameplay? (If this is getting off-topic to a thread about Super Monkey Ball I can start a new thread.)

Offline Berto

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2021, 05:54:33 pm »
Virtua Fighter and Tekken gameplay are very different.
Tekken doesn't even had block button.
It has two punch and kick buttons each instead of one.

Dead or Alive was probably that almost the same, but when playing it you can tell that it's different.
Especially when doing quick combo and air-juggles
The Simpsons: Road Rage has same gameplay and feature with Crazy Taxi.
Almost every review at that time said that the game is a shameless ripoff.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2021, 05:58:34 pm »
I think Sega AM2 owns DoA franchise now. Dunno if they'll replace Virtua Fighter with it.

But Team6, the people who made Taxi Chaos, they made other games that uses the same formula as Crazy Taxi.

Offline Berto

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2021, 06:18:09 pm »
DoA only uses/borrows SEGA arcade board (Model 2 and Naomi) to make the game,
but the franchise is still belongs to Tecmo (Koei Tecmo now).
Capcom's Marvel vs Capcom 2 was also like that.

Yeah, it could be that Team6 got permisssion from SEGA (I doubt it though) or probably Taxi Challenge / Taxi Racer series sales number weren't that much so SEGA didn't really care about it.
On the other hand Simpson franchise alone sells considering how popular Simpson TV shows at that time, so with the fun gameplay the game is a guaranteed success.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2021, 06:31:50 pm »
I guess that's how it works. Just a matter ofMoney and double standards I suppose.

Offline Berto

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2021, 10:41:58 pm »
PS3 and PSP Stores Shutting Down Permanently in July With Vita Following In August

The PS3 and PSP stores will permanently close on July 2, 2021, while the Vita store will remain available until August 27, 2021.
That's according to The Gamer, which claims a "source familiar with the situation" revealed details about the closure.

Article : https://www.ibtimes.com/ps3-psp-stores-shutting-down-permanently-july-vita-following-august-3167152

Offline Berto

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2021, 05:26:28 am »
Another Super Monkey Ball Inspired Game - Rolled Out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_XnekG6Ac

Get ready to tilt and bounce your way through Rolled Out!, a marble-rolling game with charming characters and precise controls.
All you need is one joystick to roll to the goal; with over 150 hand-crafted stages to tackle, there's always a new challenge around the corner! 

Link : https://store.steampowered.com/app/873270/Rolled_Out/

Offline Berto

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2021, 07:38:59 pm »

Offline Berto

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2021, 09:53:17 pm »

Offline Berto

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2021, 09:54:57 pm »
Did You Know Gaming - Super Monkey Ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3i6wzP85iM

Offline Berto

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2021, 09:56:34 pm »
Dreams - The Best of Dreams - SUPER MONKEY BALL [PS4]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfUjq20DIOs