Author Topic: Last movie you saw.  (Read 283667 times)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Last movie you saw.
« Reply #585 on: November 15, 2011, 09:35:06 am »
Got around to seeing Cars 2. Wasn't interested when it hit theaters, despite being a big Pixar fan. It's actually not bad, I quite liked it. Great action scenes. It's a lot better than the first Cars. The visuals are great, and Mater's idiocy is actually a key point of the end of the movie. I liked the bit where he looks at himself acting like an idiot and realizes how much of a fuck up he is. Of course, they didn't use the term "fuck up" in a Disney movie, but they implied it. I'd probably rewatch this over Ratatouille, just because Cars 2 has so much more going for it in terms of visuals. Eh, I'd give it a B-

I'm right there with you on Cars 2. The Italian racecar was a highlight for me.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #586 on: November 15, 2011, 10:12:17 am »
I'm right there with you on Cars 2. The Italian racecar was a highlight for me.

Yeah, John Turturro is always awesome.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #587 on: November 15, 2011, 11:20:27 am »
I watched the remake of Footloose a couple of days ago.
They managed to throw in a few fun nods to fans of the original. It's not exactly high art, but it was a fun, light-hearted time at the movies.  Julianne Hough did a lot less dancing than I was expecting, seeing as how she's famous for being a dancer more than anything else.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #588 on: November 20, 2011, 04:05:51 pm »

You know, maybe it's just me... but I find Ben Stiller to be one of the unfunniest comedic actors ever. The only time in which I thought he was funny was in Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story. Why you ask? Because he was a villain! He just never sold it to me as a good guy. Most of his work from the movies were he tries to be play a lovable good guy always backfire, well, for the reasons above.

So, count me as surprised, even though Tower Heist is a below-average comedic heist film, that Ben Stiller was good in this, playing a good guy but far more toned down on his Meet the Parents shenanigans.

But like I said before, Tower Heist is an below-average heist film. There's a couple of good jokes here and there, a set piece that rapes the laws of psyhics. The supporting cast do a good job, with Casey Affleck, Alan Alda (as the villain), Mathew Broderick and the girl from Precious. The wildcard happens to be Eddie Murphy. I'm betting he was dying to get a paycheck for this one. You see, the trailers, if you've seen them are full of baloney.

Eddie Murhpy's character is barely in the film till the 50 minute mark. And well, he tries to do his best Beverly Cops routine that might help pull in some extra chuckles, especially if you haven't seen his work in a while. And Téa Lioni who plays an FBI official is also a weak link and plays the most unprofessional officer I've seen in my life.

The movie's plot, I gotta say, it starts off very interesting, as it starts off as a kidnapping then it turns into a group of little guys attempting to get back to a fatcat (Alan Alda) who lost all their money attempting investment fraud. Don't read too much into the whole political/economical message, because not even the movie gives a damn about it, so I commend them for that. But other than that, it's a time waister, it's a cheap knock-off of Ocean's Eleven, though you could do worse on a Saturday night.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #589 on: November 22, 2011, 11:48:56 am »
I saw the new Twilight movie with my girlfriend over the weekend.
Things get seriously icky during the last bit  :o

Offline max_cady

« Reply #590 on: November 22, 2011, 04:20:22 pm »

Wow, I was seriously not prepared for this. Real Steel had everything to lose. It has a mediocre director (Shawn Levy), it rips off Rocky on more than one occasion and the premise sounds as about as bland as a toy commercial.

Yet in the end, it ends up being heartwarming with just the right amount of cheesy elements. And it goes to show that Hugh Jackman can do well, even in a potentially carreer-shaterring movie.

Atom is no Optimus Prime, but he's just as charming.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #591 on: November 25, 2011, 10:58:06 am »
I saw the new Muppet movie last night with a few friends.
It's pretty refreshing to see a movie without a single cynical bone in it's body. You can pretty clearly tell that it was made by big fans of the Muppets.  The songs by Bret McKenzie (of Flight of the Conchords fame) were a big highlight for me :).

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #592 on: November 25, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »

Really good movie, but boy did they exaggerate the Muppets' lack of popularity.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #593 on: November 25, 2011, 03:32:26 pm »
That's nothing new. That was always a running gag in every medium The Muppets were in.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #594 on: November 27, 2011, 07:50:11 pm »
Caught The Muppets last night, loved it!

Best songs were "Pictures in my Head" (I'll admit, it made me tear up a bit, but I DIDN'T CRY! OKAY?!) and "Man or Muppet". Hilarious effects with the reflections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjkaYh8bauA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0zpxC6O7nE

Offline max_cady

« Reply #595 on: December 15, 2011, 05:27:09 pm »

I saw Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

Once again, Hollywood goes through the routine of adding numbers to sequels and when another film that takes place a whole long after the previous one, they forget the numbers and started adding subtitles.

Ghost Protocol is more along the lines of the previous film, a much bigger focus on the actual team and less Tom Cruise ego trip. They signed Brad Bird, director of the classic The Incredibles and Ratatui and it kinda shows that the movie can be both amusing and serious at the same time.

Sometimes it doesn't mesh as well, but this one is at least as decent as the third film. It's a very good time waster and it's enjoying. Tom Cruise appears to have taken a "less is more" approach to his Ethan Hunt character, less temper tantruns, but I think he's contractually abliged to make his trademark running bit, but it's effective.

You have a smaller cast and pretty simple story, but the characters are complex, both Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner have some really funny dialogue that helps the movie just when it starts to go overboard.
Paula Patton is one of the movie's biggest surprises, she does OK, but in one scene she really brings out the big guns (wink wink).

I would recommend watching this film.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #596 on: December 16, 2011, 01:43:54 am »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #597 on: December 23, 2011, 05:36:06 am »

The Twelve Tasks of Asterix (1976)

One of my favorite animated movies when I was a kid was The Twelve Tasks of Asterix. For those of you who are unaware, Asterix was a belgian comic book by Uderzo and Goscinny, which is an historical parody of the Roman Empire, in a largely dominated Gaulle, only a tiny village has yet to be conquered by Caeser's legions. The gaulles in that village are super strong due to a magic potion that grants them super powers. The main hero is Asterix, one of the soldiers and his best friend Obelix, an obese quarry man, who is the only one who never needs to take the potion, because he fell into a cauldron of that stuff when he was little.

Many of the stories involve Asterix and Obelix foiling the Roman's plans to take over that little village.
The stories are littered with modern references, running gags and tons of 4th wall jokes.

This movie is no different. The Romans after getting constantly pounded, must've realized that the Gaulles might be Gods and Caeser issues them a challenge, to complete different variations of the Twelve tasks of Hércules, the famous hero of Roman mythology.

By winning them, Rome surrenders.

It's a fun little movie, but does it hold up as well. Not quite, since our heroes resort to the actual potion most of the times, they go through each and every challenge largely unschated, one of the movie's highlights, however, comes in the form of one of the tasks that have them just simply asking for a permit. But asking for a permit requires them to endure some nearly impractical burocratic procedures and obnoxious civil servants.

But other than that, you are just going through the motions, because you know that they are unstoppable.

It's a fun little film for kids, but sadly, adults, such as myself will find the movie a tad tedious.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #598 on: December 26, 2011, 05:00:32 pm »

Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows

I must say I was quite impressed by this film at times! Both Downey and Law have great chemistry as differing characters but good friends and they exchange a lot of banter and wit together well. But what really made the film for me in the end was the man above, Jared Harris as James Moriarty is fantastic and puts in a true villain performance, perhaps a favourite of mine since Ledger as Joker (In the sense that while the Joker was a mad man running loose, Moriarty is a calm but infinately more calculated individual) Really enjoyed the music accompanying the film and some of the action scenes were brilliant.

Still, I did dislike certain things. One things that managed to make it through in the first film was Sherlock's incredible power of deduction, unfortunately that was not the case here and it seems more like an action adventure film than a detective film. A major shame especially as I'm a big Holmes fan, but something I expected (Thankfully the BBC series Sherlock is launching soon!) Also Ritchie's love for SUPER SLOW-MO and CAMERA ANGLE ALL OVER THE PLACE can get tiring at times.

Overall though a very enjoyable film, especially the last 30 minutes or so, I thought the film was coming near its climax but it just kept giving.

The final battle in the film, my gosh it was fantastic! Recommended viewing.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #599 on: December 27, 2011, 03:46:53 pm »

Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows

I must say I was quite impressed by this film at times! Both Downey and Law have great chemistry as differing characters but good friends and they exchange a lot of banter and wit together well. But what really made the film for me in the end was the man above, Jared Harris as James Moriarty is fantastic and puts in a true villain performance, perhaps a favourite of mine since Ledger as Joker (In the sense that while the Joker was a mad man running loose, Moriarty is a calm but infinately more calculated individual) Really enjoyed the music accompanying the film and some of the action scenes were brilliant.

Still, I did dislike certain things. One things that managed to make it through in the first film was Sherlock's incredible power of deduction, unfortunately that was not the case here and it seems more like an action adventure film than a detective film. A major shame especially as I'm a big Holmes fan, but something I expected (Thankfully the BBC series Sherlock is launching soon!) Also Ritchie's love for SUPER SLOW-MO and CAMERA ANGLE ALL OVER THE PLACE can get tiring at times.

Overall though a very enjoyable film, especially the last 30 minutes or so, I thought the film was coming near its climax but it just kept giving.

The final battle in the film, my gosh it was fantastic! Recommended viewing.

Agreed. Really entertaining cinema.