Author Topic: Last movie you saw.  (Read 284075 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Last movie you saw.
« Reply #600 on: December 27, 2011, 04:59:52 pm »
Saw Tintin today, LOVE it. Great music, awesome over the top action scenes, really captured the old comics, but in a fresh new way.

I'm going to start rereading all the old Tintin books, will probably pick up 2 or 3 a month. Hope to finish all of them before the end of 2012.

The one action scene through the city, with a single shot, was awesome. Andy Serkis as Haddock was hilarious.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #601 on: January 14, 2012, 07:14:14 pm »

The Darkest Hour

Hey, look at what we have here. The first major contender for worst movie of 2012 and we're barely past week 3.
I saw this today and wow... Probably the laziest, non-scary alien invasion movie with special effects that make the Sci-Fi channel look good.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #602 on: January 15, 2012, 12:05:31 am »

The Darkest Hour

Hey, look at what we have here. The first major contender for worst movie of 2012 and we're barely past week 3.
I saw this today and wow... Probably the laziest, non-scary alien invasion movie with special effects that make the Sci-Fi channel look good.

...I thought it came out on Christmas 2011?

Offline max_cady

« Reply #603 on: January 15, 2012, 09:25:21 am »
***Checks IMDB****

Oh, it did get released at X-mas 2011.

Also worst 3D ever...

Offline SOUP

« Reply #604 on: January 17, 2012, 10:03:34 am »
I recently watched a documentary (more of a sit down interview with some video clips for context) about the Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart feud. It's basically the two of them in a room with Jim Ross asking them some very frank questions about everything.  The whole thing gives a lot of history and behind the scenes context on the entire feud.  A good chunk of time is devoted to the "Montreal Screwjob", and it's something else to see these two guys giving their sides of the story right beside eachother.
For anyone who's even heard of Shawn Michaels or Bret Hart, I highly reocommend checking it out. Some really genuine human drama here.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #605 on: January 23, 2012, 07:47:15 am »

Saw Red Tails last night. First off, I'd like to say a big "fuck you" to the critics who panned this film. Why did they hate it? Probably because they think George Lucas raped their childhood or some nonsense.

The film was a lot of fun. Great action scenes, detailed sets, vehicles and costumes. The actors who played the pilots did a good job, they played off well with one another.

The negatives, the stuff that critics are magnifying by 100? The cliche plot elements and dialogue that comes straight out of old time war movies. The thing is, these elements were clear homages. The movie basically celebrates the pilots and showcases great ariel combat. It's rare to see a SFX movie in which you can actually follow the action on screen and it's not just a clusterfuck of metal and bullets.

Overall, it's not academy award worthy (except for the special effects) but it is a lot of fun and is a good movie. It's pretty clear that Lucas made the movie with black teenagers in mind. Our theater was filled with teenage kids who were loving the two main characters (not Gooding and Howard, but the two young pilots Easy and Lightening).

Offline SOUP

« Reply #606 on: January 24, 2012, 12:17:19 pm »
Thanks for the impressions Barry. I'll try and check it out for sure.

Over the weekend, I watched Tucker & Dale vs. Evil with my girlfriend.
I'd wanted to see this one for quite a while for a few reasons:
1) It's a Canadian movie that looked interesting.
2) Alan Tudyk is always reliable
3) It also stars Tyler Labine who (along with Ryan Gosling), I've been a fan of since watching Breaker High when I was younger.  If you've never heard of Breaker High, it's probably best described as a Canadian Saved By The Bell, where the school is a cruise ship, and they travel the world as part of their schooling.

If you enjoy the comedy/horror genre or either of the two separately, just check it out. Don't bother with trailers or articles. The less you know going into it, the better.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #607 on: January 25, 2012, 10:48:56 am »
I watched Haywire last night. Another movie that benefited from absolutely no expectations. I'd never heard of Gina Carano before, but she's something else in this movie. I really hope she gets a decent amount of work after this movie, because she could definitely be the next big action star without a doubt.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #608 on: January 26, 2012, 08:18:06 am »

I saw The Descendants last Monday.

I gotta say I was mighty impressed. On the surface, it features a plot that could be something out of an average soap opera, but with it's excellent performances, amazing photography(Hawaii just looks like a true paradise) and effective soundtrack, it's easy to see why this is an Oscar contender and a pretty good tear-jerker.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:20:45 am by max_cady »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #609 on: January 26, 2012, 08:36:28 am »
I saw The Descendants as well, last week. Very good movie, award worthy, BUT I can never see myself seeing it again nor to I want to own the blu-ray. Still, it's a great movie worth one watch. Clooney is (almost) always awesome. I watch Michael Clayton once a year, he's great in that.

Got around to seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes on bluray over the weekend. Really liked it! Caesar is an awesome character, I really hope this gets a sequel (I think it is). Lots of fun nods to the old movies, they even had the human spaceship launch and get lost. I'd love to see the next film show Caesar's rise to power, and to see how the humans went into hiding. 

Offline max_cady

« Reply #610 on: February 06, 2012, 06:32:32 pm »

This is a hard one to decide. Part of me loves the nostalgia and the great jokes and the musical bits. But there's another part of me that feels like this was mostly Jason Segel and Amy Adams guest-starring The Muppets for a good chunck of the film.

Really hard to say...

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #611 on: February 07, 2012, 02:07:06 am »

This is a hard one to decide. Part of me loves the nostalgia and the great jokes and the musical bits. But there's another part of me that feels like this was mostly Jason Segel and Amy Adams guest-starring The Muppets for a good chunck of the film.

Really hard to say...

It gets better the more you see it.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #612 on: February 09, 2012, 06:49:36 pm »

I saw Fire and Ice the other day and it was pretty interesting. I wanted to check it out because I heard it was an animated film and that it featured the rotoscoping style of animation. If you are into barbarian films you might enjoy it.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline SOUP

« Reply #613 on: February 10, 2012, 08:57:06 am »
I saw this pretty funny short online called The Death and Return of Superman on youtube the other day.  The whole thing's a pretty entertaining re-telling of the entire comic book event, with a few celebrity cameos tossed in for good measure.
Anyway, I saw that the narrator of the whole thing wrote Chronicle. At this point, I'd never even heard of it. I checked out the showtimes at my local theater, saw that it was playing, and got a friend to come check it out.
It was one of the few occasions where I went into a movie completely dark. No trailer, no posters, no idea who was in it, or what it was even about. All I knew was that some guy in an online comedy video had something to do with it. After seeing it, I'd have to say that that's without a doubt, the best way to go into this one.

I don't want to spoil anything about it. All I'll say is that I think the majority of you will enjoy it quite a bit. Check it out if you can :D.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #614 on: February 11, 2012, 03:15:16 pm »
Saw The Phantom Menace 3D. I liked the move a lot when it released in '99, and over the years I didn't let the haters get to me. Yes, it has it's problems, but I think the greats totally outweigh the weaknesses. The podrace and the lightsaber duel are awesome movie moments.

The improvements to the movie include a digital Yoda and an extended podrace, and both REALLY help the film.

The 3D was well implemented. Not in your face, but not invisible. The effect created a cool window into the Star Wars universe.