Author Topic: Last movie you saw.  (Read 300860 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Last movie you saw.
« Reply #660 on: May 14, 2012, 03:31:29 am »
Please don't listen to Aki-at's opinion on comic books. :)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #661 on: May 15, 2012, 07:58:34 am »
Please don't listen to Aki-at's opinion on comic books. :)

Pffft, you want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Offline George

« Reply #662 on: May 15, 2012, 10:11:21 am »
Avengers is not the second best comic book movie ever made. Especially with such big flicks like 300, Sin City, Watchmen etc. Avengers was good and entertaining, but wasn't a masterpiece. I think it is you sir, that can't handle the truth.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #663 on: May 16, 2012, 12:28:31 am »
You rate Watchmen above Avengers? 300 above Avengers? Really?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #664 on: May 16, 2012, 07:44:13 am »
Haven't seen Avengers yet (I'm lazy! I'm sorry!)

I did really like Watchmen though, especially the directors cut. The length and number of stories made it feel like a cable mini-series with a hollywood budget. Rorschach was awesome.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #665 on: May 17, 2012, 07:22:33 am »
Avengers is not the second best comic book movie ever made. Especially with such big flicks like 300, Sin City, Watchmen etc. Avengers was good and entertaining, but wasn't a masterpiece. I think it is you sir, that can't handle the truth.

That is why I said it was my personal chart bro! I just thought it was a great mix of fun, dialogue and action and critically it seems to be doing extremely well so I do not think I have said anything out of the ordinary.

You rate Watchmen above Avengers? 300 above Avengers? Really?

How did you find it Mang? I do not think it can top Nolan's Batman for you but what about other major superhero films like the classic Supermans or X-Men?

Offline George

« Reply #666 on: May 17, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »
Well, you have bad taste because Avengers was entertaining but wasn't a classic film. There was too much mistakes for it to be even on my top 5 favorite comic book films. First of all, the movie takes Loki, a villain that was was beat by Thor alone as the main villain. Why? Maybe Avengers 2 will deliver a 'OMFG' villain, but this one didn't.

Also felt like most of the film was establishing what they established in the tie-ins. Gathering the super heroes took 40 mins, why did they choose this? I have no idea. They already established that they contacted these heroes, we didn't need them to explain it in the flick. We knew it happen, so I was confused that they had to do it again...

Should I go on?

Batman is better than this films.Superman Returns suffers from trying to please old Superman movie fans. I'm looking forward to the reboot even if the custom looks gay. Though Watchmen is the best comic book movie ever. Hands down. Sincity is a close second. They are too good to the source materiel to be disregarded.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #667 on: May 18, 2012, 05:48:17 pm »

I just came back from a screening of The Dictator, Sacha Baron Cohen's vehicle and a return to his Ali-G roots. If you were exausted by his hijinks in Borat and Bruno, you will find here, a good comedy, have few a good laugh and enjoy. There are much less gross out jokes like those featured in Bruno. It's a simple story and almost always never loses focus. Here's a tip, never cast Ben Kinglsey in your film, it already ruins whatever surprises you have in store.

I give this movie a thumbs up.

Offline samspade

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #668 on: May 20, 2012, 05:08:29 am »
Well, you have bad taste because Avengers was entertaining but wasn't a classic film. There was too much mistakes for it to be even on my top 5 favorite comic book films. First of all, the movie takes Loki, a villain that was was beat by Thor alone as the main villain. Why? Maybe Avengers 2 will deliver a 'OMFG' villain, but this one didn't.

Also felt like most of the film was establishing what they established in the tie-ins. Gathering the super heroes took 40 mins, why did they choose this? I have no idea. They already established that they contacted these heroes, we didn't need them to explain it in the flick. We knew it happen, so I was confused that they had to do it again...

Should I go on?

Batman is better than this films.Superman Returns suffers from trying to please old Superman movie fans. I'm looking forward to the reboot even if the custom looks gay. Though Watchmen is the best comic book movie ever. Hands down. Sincity is a close second. They are too good to the source materiel to be disregarded.

As a big time comic book nerd, I felt that it was awesome seeing a comic book movie like Avengers really tapping into the potential of what a comic book movie can be. This is really the first time anything like it has ever been attempted combining a bunch of characters and showing them in a shared universe. It's really quite an achievement that they got so much right on the first try.

I do agree that Loki might be a somewhat weak choice as a villian but at the same time, the script was written in such a way to show his strengths being able to manipulate the heroes. I won't spoil it here, but the lead in to the sequel promises an epic villian and I personally can't wait.

As far as comparing this to something like Watchmen, there's really no comparision, they're both two very distinctly different films doing their own things. They're not really similar at all.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #669 on: May 26, 2012, 10:47:25 pm »
Men in Black 3 was pretty decent.

Offline George

« Reply #670 on: May 27, 2012, 04:25:59 am »
As a big time comic book nerd, I felt that it was awesome seeing a comic book movie like Avengers really tapping into the potential of what a comic book movie can be. This is really the first time anything like it has ever been attempted combining a bunch of characters and showing them in a shared universe. It's really quite an achievement that they got so much right on the first try.

I do agree that Loki might be a somewhat weak choice as a villian but at the same time, the script was written in such a way to show his strengths being able to manipulate the heroes. I won't spoil it here, but the lead in to the sequel promises an epic villian and I personally can't wait.

As far as comparing this to something like Watchmen, there's really no comparision, they're both two very distinctly different films doing their own things. They're not really similar at all.
I'm excited for the second one, I liked the film. Just not a top favorite. I know Watchmen is hard to compare to Avengers or Sin City to Spider-Man, but in the end when someone is talking about favorite comic movies you have to stack them up in your personal taste. My personal taste lies with more mature story lines. Personal stack list here.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #671 on: June 02, 2012, 10:36:03 pm »
Saw The Avengers earlier this evening.

I think I'm with George. It was very good, but not my top favorite comic book movie. I think a LOT of the awesomeness rested on the insanity of seeing all these stars together for one movie. Really, the biggest reasons for the film's goodness comes from crossovers and buildup. After the hype cools off, and the home video releases, and the years pass, it'll lose some of that spark. It's like the Oceans 11 of comic book movies. Like, "hey! george clooney and matt damon and brad pitt?? this is crazy!"

The story itself is good, and does beat out most of the past Marvel movies from the same continuity, but it's far from a great story. Felt more like Thor's plot retold on a grander scale, with aliens mixed in. The movie actually got me more excited for a sequel and, hopefully, a Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo who was awesome but really deserves his own Hulk movie to explore the character more. Felt like a teaser for whats to come for both the Avengers series and the Hulk films.

Which, in turn, is what the buildup to The Avengers in the past single character movies felt like. I thought Iron Man 1 was great, but the sequel intentionally held back and threw in a bit too much Avengers buildup and ultimately hindered the film. Cap America and Thor, I think, handled the Avengers tie ins much better. So overall, Avengers isn't the greatest comic book movie of all time. The multi-film buildup and crossover cast were the film's biggest strengths. But the story was far from "greatest comic book movie ever" material. Still, best film of the Marvel Avengers-continuity of films and unlike Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3, all the previous films lead to a satisfying movie.

---

So what do I consider to be the best comic book movie of all time? Well, I can't peg just one, but I can say that I think a movie with that title is a movie that has great characters, story and every element is near perfection. It doesn't need tons of buildup or a large celebrity cast to "wow" you. I think The Dark Knight is the closest to this for me. I also really like Spider-Man 2. Both are great stand alone films that really only require the main character's origin to be known, not much else is needed to follow the film and enjoy it. I also really liked Watchmen. It felt similar to The Avengers in that it was a large ensamble cast with an epic story to tell. If I had to list my favorite comic book movies of all time, I'd say:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman ('89)
4. X2
5. The Avengers
6. X-Men: First Class
7. Superman Returns
8. Watchmen
9. Sin City
10. Dick Tracy
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:37:34 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #672 on: June 04, 2012, 04:56:55 pm »
Avengers again :D

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #673 on: June 05, 2012, 03:43:59 pm »
The last movie I saw in the theatre was The Avengers, which was fuckin' awesome. I didn't follow the comics, so I really don't give a damn how true it is to the source material. It was just a fun flick with some fantastic heores and villains, incredible action sequences, great dialogue and.... It's just good shit. All I need now is The Dark Knight Rises and I'll be happy.

Last movie I watched at home was a horror flick called Grave Encounters. The filmmakers took a perfectly good concept and decided to hamper it with cliche and some of the WORST handheld photography I've seen in a long while. What a fuckin' waste. Okay, you throw a bunch of skeptical paranormal investigators in a haunted asylum for a TV series they produce and get hit with a great big dose of hibbie-jibbies. Now it's a mind-fuck kinda' movie where, once they've been in there for 8 hours, the sun never rises again and the asylum becomes a freaky labyrinth. So the investigators are attacked, whackyness ensues and the ghoulies up and decide to let their victims sleep for 8 hours. Really?! This pisses me off about "found footage" movies; first, why would I wanna' watch them sleep? Why would the ghosts let them sleep? The ghosts are throwing the kitchen sink at these people, but just stop long enough for our leads to get some shut-eye.... THREE. FUCKING. TIMES! I just.... You know, I'm ranting. I didn't like Grave Encounters. I thought it sucked. The end.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #674 on: June 08, 2012, 07:14:52 pm »

I saw Prometheus today. The first thing I can say is that the movie seems to suffer from an identity crisis of sorts. What do I mean by that? The movie tries to be many things: an action film, a sci-fi thriller, a philosophical insight into the concept of primus movens( aka The First Cause) but in the end it was [spoiler]just building up to reveal the horrific truth that humans accidentaly facilitated the creation of the infamous Xenomorph in the Aliens universe.[/spoiler] The major performance award goes to Fassbender who plays David, a cyborg who plays a vital role in the film.

Everybody else, apart from Noomi Rapace and Fassbender, just seem forgettable. But I can't say for sure how will people react to this movie. I liked the first hour of the film, how it felt like it was building up to something huge, but as time went on, I felt a bit underwhelmed. Even worse, at one point, it feels like the movie should've ended 10 minutes ago. It left more questions than actual answers, not to mention some pretty disconnected character moments.

To each his own, man. I can't say for sure if I can recommed this film, because either they will love it or hate it. It's going to be a very divisive flick.