Author Topic: Last movie you saw.  (Read 284452 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Last movie you saw.
« Reply #675 on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:02 pm »
The Korean revenge flick: I Saw The Devil.

(don't think I have wrote about this)

The movie is one of the most brutal films I have seen in a while. Its about a serial killer (played by the dude from Old Boy) who goes around graphically (seriously makes you feel bad for victims) killing women around the city. Sadly for him, one of the victims happens to have a dad that is a cop and a husband thats a cop.

The cop gets the 'suspects' and decides to track them down and literally beat them to the truth. In the end he follows and catches the serial killer in the act. Its hyped up like this fight is going to be the best thing ever, but the cop literally breaks his bones, destroys his face with a fury of punches... but that is just the start. He places a tracer on him and decides to follow him around. Everytime he tries to kill, he comes out and gives him a healthy dose of pain.

There are a few twists in the movie, do you think a chained monster will stay chained? My only other complaint is that the movie is a tad too long.

Its from the director of The Good, The Bad, and the Weird (good Korean take on a western). Here is the trailer, if you like revenge flicks, watch it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkwEFKdTckk[/youtube]

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #676 on: June 09, 2012, 05:27:28 am »
Its from the director of The Good, The Bad, and the Weird (good Korean take on a western). Here is the trailer, if you like revenge flicks, watch it:

Holy cow I love that film!

May watch it on that alone, though not sure I can take watching innocent people get brutally killed. But the concept of a cop following a killer and give him a good beating everytime to seriously mess him up is the only kind of justice I like. Slow justice is no justice.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #677 on: June 09, 2012, 04:02:05 pm »
Yeah I think those scenes are intended to shock so what the cop does seems justified. Outside of running too long, its a good flick. Shocking, yes, but good.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #678 on: June 30, 2012, 12:47:13 pm »
I went to the Drive-in with my girlfriend last night and watched Snow White & the Huntsman and Battleship.

The effects relating to the Queen in Snow White were definitely the highlight of that movie.

I was pleasantly surprised with Battleship. Not the best movie ever, but it was entertaining enough. It reminded me a bit of Top Gun meets the first Transformers movie.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #679 on: July 05, 2012, 06:51:39 pm »

OK, guys I just came back from the screening of The Amazing Spider Man. I have to say I was pleasantely surprised. I went in knowing next to nothing, I barely saw any trailers. It was very low on my radar. I was lucky to catch a break from work today and I decided to check the first screening.

First off, I've seen the RT score, It is very unfair, methinks. It also goes to show that you can tell a very compelling story with just one superhero. There are a few hickups, though. The plot revists and expands upon similar points from the original movie. Revisiting is not necessarily a bad thing, but perhaps they went a little overboard with expanding said plot points. [spoiler]One in particular, Peter goes into this pre-Spiderman vigilante role trying to track down and take out the guy who shot his Uncle. Not necessarily bad, but I though they took way too long and they seemed to just downright copy Batman Begins.[/spoiler] Having said that, the rest of the movie works surprisingly well.

Andrew Garfield does a great Peter Parker/Spiderman, part-time nerd (to the point of being uncomfortably awkward) and part-time superhero. The same with Gwen Stacy and Captain Stacy, played by Dennis Leary. Captain Stacy is obviously trying to be Jim Gordon-esque. And to some extent he helps out the plot considerably. Dr. Connors is being portrayed as a tragic villain, he fits is role. Now for some reason, Aunt May just seems to be a throwaway character. I didn't like that. I liked out they took Flash, who in the first Spider Man movie was just there for a cheap gag. In here, they actually make him a real character whose relantionship and conflict with Peter evolves overtime.

The comedy in this picture, it was well done. It felt sincere. No cringe-worthy or forced laughs like the ones I was forced to endure in the Thor movie and in the awkward dance scene in Spiderman 3.

I was pleasantely surprised. I advise everyone to see it. I'm serious. Get off The Avengers train for a sec and take a dive into The Amazing Spiderman. Forget about superhero team ups for a while and watch this to remind yourself that superhero solo movies can handle themselves fine.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:53:25 pm by max_cady »

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #680 on: July 06, 2012, 04:52:06 pm »
I actually saw The Amazing Spider-Man quite recently myself, and I found it be a bit of disappointment. Mind you I wasn't expecting it to be the best film of the summer, but I am bummed at how it turned out. Based on what I've seen I'm definitely in the minority, but in my opinion this new Spider-Man film isn't nearly as good as Sam Raimi's films. To me, it just felt like there was something missing in this new film that the previous movies had. It's funny, because I usually don't mind when movies take liberties with the comic book source material, but a lot of the changes in The Amazing Spider-Man really bugged me.
That being said, Stan Lee's cameo in this movie is arguably he's funniest. Really made me smile.  :)
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline max_cady

« Reply #681 on: July 20, 2012, 06:35:54 pm »

I went in with next to no expectations... I gotta say that I was plesantely surprised. It kinda works, even if it just copies so much of Seth McFarlane's formula and predictable notes. It feels like a three-parter for a non-existing tv series. Unfortunately many of the best jokes fall into the first two episodes, while the rest, while the rest will get you smilling and that's about it.
It's actually amusing to see Mila Kunis, when they aren't using her voice clips from FG.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #682 on: July 21, 2012, 03:58:12 pm »
I got to see The Dark Knight Rises last night (won't say a thing, other than that I enjoyed it).

This morning, my local theater had a showing of the Ninja Turtles movie from 1990. Needless to say, I was there, and it was awesome :).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #683 on: July 21, 2012, 05:11:53 pm »
I got to see The Dark Knight Rises last night (won't say a thing, other than that I enjoyed it).

This morning, my local theater had a showing of the Ninja Turtles movie from 1990. Needless to say, I was there, and it was awesome :).

WHAAAT!? THat is awesome! I love the first TMNT flick. Damn, where do you live? I want a theater like that.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #684 on: July 21, 2012, 05:53:03 pm »
@Barry: They're doing it at all Cineplex theaters in Canada.
It's a summer promotion where every Saturday morning, they're playing a different family movie. The best part is that the admission's only $2.50 :D.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #685 on: July 21, 2012, 09:44:33 pm »
@Barry: They're doing it at all Cineplex theaters in Canada.
It's a summer promotion where every Saturday morning, they're playing a different family movie. The best part is that the admission's only $2.50 :D.

When I worked for a theater, they did something like that. The movies were cheap to rent, so they were like $4 a ticket w/popcorn. A lot of the movies sucked, but we had a few gems: Babe and Prince of Egypt come to mind. But nothing as old as the first TMNT. Really cool. I'd see that even if it meant a ton of kids in the theater.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #686 on: July 22, 2012, 10:50:12 am »
Surprisingly, there was only one kid in the theater. The rest was full of twenty and thirty-somethings.
The kid's parent was probably a huge fan himself, and wanted to introduce his kid to the greatness that is the first Ninja Turtles movie :).

So many great lines in that movie.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #687 on: July 22, 2012, 10:23:58 pm »

I saw it on friday night and found it to be really, really disappointing.  When should we open this up for discussion?

Offline SOUP

« Reply #688 on: July 23, 2012, 10:45:42 am »
I saw it on friday night and found it to be really, really disappointing.  When should we open this up for discussion?
Maybe a separate, spoiler marked thread?
Also, I watched it again last night.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #689 on: July 23, 2012, 12:22:53 pm »
How about we shift TDKR discussion to the summer movie thread, and spoiler tag our spoileriffic posts?

I'll start by jumping over to that thread right now.