Author Topic: Rumor Watch: Bayonetta 2 apparentely scrapped  (Read 7099 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Rumor Watch: Bayonetta 2 apparentely scrapped
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:52:05 pm »

OK, guys this is a particularly odd piece news that has come out today:

Some bad news for SEGA fans everywhere - SPOnG has heard word that Bayonetta 2 has been cancelled, following the publisher's ongoing restructure.

A source familiar with the situation has told SPOnG that progress on the apparent Platinum Games sequel was halted. The game was to include a new character, in the form of a member of the US military.

While it was not possible to ascertain from our source if Bayonetta 2 had begun development internally, the detail of a potential new character would suggest that plans were at least in a pre-production design stage.

SEGA announced a dramatic restructuring of its Western consumer business last month, following a dismal performance in the last fiscal year. Redundancies hit both the European and American offices, and a number of titles were said to be cancelled internally.

It was feared that Platinum Games' projects - which have been critically well-received but have had little success commercially - would be at risk, with a rumoured sequel to Bayonetta at the top of such a list. The original game was released on Xbox 360 and PS3 in January 2010, to critical acclaim.

SPOnG has asked SEGA about the situation, to the response, "No comment." 

[Source: SPONG]

I assume that "no comment" means that it's not true. Either:
A-The game was not cancelled;
B-There probably isn't a Bayonetta 2 in development to begin with;

What are your thoughts on this, guys?

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: Rumor Watch: Bayonetta 2 apparentely scrapped
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:05:43 pm »
It sounds like hogwash to me, especially the part about the US army solider.
Kamiya's game has been in development for almost 3 years now or so, Bayonetta or not, I find it hard to believe its canceled.

Also, in the last episode of PGBREAK, it was said that he was "working hard", in which I assume working on his project.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 07:48:45 am »
Yeah, I find it kind of hard to believe.

If it is true, that really sucks, but like I said it sounds made up.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 08:14:52 am »
Good grief, don't tell me this was all another prank from Kamiya.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:40:01 am »
Pao on suicide watch-

It sounds like hogwash to me, especially the part about the US army solider.
Kamiya's game has been in development for almost 3 years now or so, Bayonetta or not, I find it hard to believe its canceled.

Also, in the last episode of PGBREAK, it was said that he was "working hard", in which I assume working on his project.

Oh... Well its good to know your faith has not been broken.

Just like Shenmue 3! ;D

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 02:43:23 pm »
The story doesn't really sound all that legit.
Bayonetta isn't even a SEGA game. They just published it under their deal with Platinum Games. Doesn't Platinum have the rights to the characters? If they wanted to make a Bayonetta game, wouldn't it be up to them?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:07:40 pm »
The story doesn't really sound all that legit.
Bayonetta isn't even a SEGA game. They just published it under their deal with Platinum Games. Doesn't Platinum have the rights to the characters? If they wanted to make a Bayonetta game, wouldn't it be up to them?

SEGA owns all rights to MadWorld, Bayonetta, Infinate Space, Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns IPs.

Still would find it rather odd, as Bayonetta did over a million for SEGA, 1.35 million if I recall correctly. More than enough to classify it as a success.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 06:17:03 pm »
Did you just say potential news next week!?

Offline Sieghardt

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 06:46:12 pm »
SPONG is not a legit source they have a really bad reputation for making stuff up and many other sites I go to have banned linking to the site because of it

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 10:12:09 pm »
I assume that "no comment" means that it's not true. Either:
A-The game was not cancelled;
B-There probably isn't a Bayonetta 2 in development to begin with;

What are your thoughts on this, guys?

No comment means no comment....lol. Shouldn't be taken as a sign of anything.

That said, I'm sure Platinum's hard at work on Metal Gear Rising, apparently they have been for quite some time, I doubt they've been working on Bayonetta 2 in addition to Metal Gear and Anarchy Reigns.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 03:24:34 am »
That said, I'm sure Platinum's hard at work on Metal Gear Rising, apparently they have been for quite some time, I doubt they've been working on Bayonetta 2 in addition to Metal Gear and Anarchy Reigns.

That puts Kamiya and his team out of work. They are working on neither project.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 04:57:16 am »
^Who do you think is making the coffee?

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 11:39:16 am »
That puts Kamiya and his team out of work. They are working on neither project.

Kamiya may not be involved but I think you'd be a bit naive to assume that NOBODY from the Bayonetta team is working on it.

I don't know how many people are working at PlatinumGames but I wasn't under the impression that it was such a huge developer that people in the studio were allowed 100% dedicated teams who aren't allowed to be moved around to other projects. ...I mean, even Square-Enix developers don't have that luxury.

If Kamiya is indeed working on another project (and maybe it's Bayonetta 2 or maybe it isn't, by the way) it's likely he has a small team in place for now, a team which will grow when work on Metal Gear nears completion. That's (I assume) why we haven't seen much from Kamiya lately.

Due to the very fast-paced development time of Rising and the strict deadlines, I'm sure its timely completion was made a priority.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:41:58 am by -nSega54- »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:29:01 pm »
Since when did Bayonetta fail to sell? That's weird that SPoNG would write that with no proof....

Bayonetta  sold more on PS3/360 than Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing sold on 4 platforms. Didn't they just announce a new one? Not only that Naoya Tsurumi over at SEGA said the game sold well. So I don't know where SPoNG picked up their facts. Sounds very Kotaku-ish.

Here is my response:
http://segabits.com/blog/2012/05/02/rumor-bayonetta-2-canceled-do-to-dramatic-restructuring/

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 02:23:41 am »
SPONG is not a legit source they have a really bad reputation for making stuff up and many other sites I go to have banned linking to the site because of it

Yep its bullshit from Spong . After all Spong made out Shemue III was coming years and years back  ;D
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure