Author Topic: SEGA says PSO2 still coming to the west  (Read 64477 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: SEGA says PSO2 still coming to the west
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2014, 04:02:19 pm »
Not really since Vita isn't as expensive as it is on console. There's a reason why SOJ started to concentrate more on handheld systems with their various games as well as platforms on their way out before they fully went gung ho on the digital side of things. They looking for the least minimal R+D costs to reap maximum profit.

What makes game content on Vita more expensive then game content on PS4? Aside from graphics cost of course, I mean of course most games on PS4 are going to have better graphics. I'm talking about publisher fees and such. Do you have any proof you can share?

I have done some research, and while most info seems to be behind locked gates that require you to be a developer and sign NDA's... I did find this bit.

When it comes to working with third party studios Boyes said "it's talking to them directly, it's listening to them, it's caring about what they have to say and then it's actually taking that feedback and actually applying it to improving things."

Describing developer meetings as being "like a focus test" Boyes commented that Sony try to take what they learn from these meetings to make their consoles even more developer friendly. One way in which they aim to do this is by waiving fees for making game patches in the majority of cases.

"Our publicised policy is that you have to pay patch fees in order to patch the content but the reality is, especially for independent developers, we don't charge them for that. We have not in the last three years in our territory. It's really important for us to work with them to make sure it's as early as possible for them to get the content out there, especially if it's a fix for a game breaking bug," Boyes revealed.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/13654/article/sony-on-developer-relations-and-waiving-game-patch-fees/

So that makes me curious. I imagine Sony waives update fees if you make some kind of deal with them. I mean we have no way of confirming since we aren't the ones working on PSO2, but SEGA seems to have no problem with the game being on PSN, as it's on the Vita. Whether it's on PS4 or PS Vita isn't going to make a difference in regards to patch fees. I also imagine Sony realizes it is common knowledge that MMO's need to be updated often and aren't going to charge a rediculous amount for patch fees. Seeing as how there is a lot of other MMO's on PSN I can't imagine the fees are that bad or if they even exist at all for MMO's.

As for if Sony gets money from DLC that is irrelevant in this case, as the only way to purchase items with real money in PSO2 is to buy an in game currency through SEGA's PSO2 website. This is true for both the Vita and PC versions.

PS4 also has PC architecture, so it wouldn't be very hard or super expensive to port or anything. I mean of course it would cost money, making a port of any kind does, but if it has potential to greatly expand the userbase, then you take the risk and make the port. Game development in general is all about taking calculated risks to make a profit.

With those facts in mind. I don't see any problem with there being a PS4 version.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:09:55 pm by Will »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 06:05:56 am »
You kinda answered your own question mate with the first sentence.
Besides development on PC has always been cheaper than developing on consoles which uses its own semi custom hardware and extortionate publishing fees. Even if it shares PC specs. Package games market has also shrinked in the last several years as well. And publishing games on a PS4 would be more expensive than publishing it on vita. Also Sega just won't lose that much of a percentage with every game sold on vita to sony as they would do if it was Ps4. Just common logistics. That's not to say it won't be released on console in the future...but i doubt it since its taking this long...were nearly two years on PSo2 now. But if you look at the recent SHINING RESONANCE game that has been released on PS3..when technically it could easily be released on PS4. But they won't because its cheaper to release it on PS3 now. Like i said cheaper operations in order to gain maximum profits..and no amount of bellyaching or scratching our collective heads isn't going to change that.

And sony only makes deals if you have a game they want and you can make it an exclusive. The only title that they want from Sega is YAKUZA. So i wouldn't take some PR from Sony as being literal. You saw how Sega made deals with Nintendo to effectively carry the burden of publishing duties for the WiiU for Sonic and by default BAYONETTA 2 hey got them to take over funding the game's development. 

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 12:01:20 pm »
I see.

Well, if they don't ever plan on bringing it west then I guess there is no point on putting it on consoles. Although I could see Sony wanting it on console to help boost the PS4 Japanese line up. They seem to really want to get Japanese games on the PS4 if TGS is anything to go by. I find that pretty exciting.

Maybe TGS will have some surprises for us. that would be awesome.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 07:46:02 am »
I see.

Well, if they don't ever plan on bringing it west then I guess there is no point on putting it on consoles. Although I could see Sony wanting it on console to help boost the PS4 Japanese line up. They seem to really want to get Japanese games on the PS4 if TGS is anything to go by. I find that pretty exciting.

Maybe TGS will have some surprises for us. that would be awesome.
Unless they can get some exclusive on PSO like a PSO third game like Nintendo got with EPISODE 3 of the first title than yes. But sega seems to be content on doing this method of selling/distrubuting the game
as for the main point of your post, I dunno Sega hasn't really approached the consoles factor as a third party properly as far as the west is concerned. While i debate with TA and a few others about the facts that they can't just go all out like he wants the remaining factor that i would have to agree on is Sega hasn't gone  "all out". The bottom line is SOJ management just doesn't know what they're doing before sammy and after sammy. Keeping too many franchises(new and old) in japan (on console and now digital, although that may change) was just a knee jerk reaction to a bad situation during the early noughties. I also think Sega would be better off focusing on one console that they made themselves since they have proven an inability to move on from the one system syndrome.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 10:36:59 pm »
Better vita version than nothing at all for the west.

Sega Approached Sony About PSO2 Vita Localization

Source : http://www.tssznews.com/2015/03/31/source-sega-approached-sony-about-pso2-vita-localization/

Here's what I assume what's happened all of this time.

SOJ : "We don't care about gaijins. Go play any other games you like."
SOA : "We're kinda out of funds now. Sony, will you help us for localization?"
Sony : "For Vita? If it's a PS4 game we would be happy to help, but for Vita? Eeeeww.."

JK, of course.
IMO it will help boosting Vita's sales in the west since the game is free.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 05:49:43 am »
Why the fuck would this only come West for Vita... If that is the case I will be incredibly pissed.
Made by SEGA

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 05:56:56 am »
Best approach would be ignoring Vita and bringing it to PS4 (and Xbone). Also the companion app maybe.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 06:42:29 am »
SEGA is such a joke for screwing this one up. I don't care what the issue is, this is one of their bigger IPs, and one that literally fell off the face of the Earth, without a single word.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 01:28:50 pm »
Via TSSZ? Ehhhhh.... I kind of don't trust them and their 'sources'.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 04:23:26 pm »
Every time I see one of their stories, I tend to dislike their writing. I haven't heard the best things about them, either.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 05:34:05 pm »
Yeah, when you think Sony Pictures is the same as Sony Computer Entertainment, people won't be taking your 'insider rumor' very seriously.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 07:07:17 pm »
The ship has long sailed. I've stopped caring. If it ever does end up coming west though I'll definitely enjoy it. I enjoyed what I played of the Japanese version. If it never comes west, oh well.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 07:15:31 pm »
Another long list of failures that SEGA has demonstrated with the Phantasy Star franchise, basically.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 07:30:03 pm »
Why not just release normal console versions everywhere?
SEG4GES

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 12:29:45 am »
I think its simply because the whole micro-transactions style of business has too much red tape around it in different markets.  It's too complicated and too costly to figure out.