Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 236819 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #480 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:53 pm »
The Legend Of Zelda especially.  Breath Of The Wild has me excited for the same reasons I'm excited for Sonic Mania.  it's what I loved most about Zelda games in the past, the open world exploration, the secrets to find, the dungeons, weapons breaking takes getting used to, but Final Fantasy 2 and Dark Cloud did it and nobody complained.
And I even forgot SEGA's own yakuza 6 which also got a nice 'mechanical' update.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #481 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:36 pm »
And I even forgot SEGA's own yakuza 6 which also got a nice 'mechanical' update.

I haven't seen or played 6 yet, but heard very good things. 
Be like water.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #482 on: March 18, 2017, 05:45:06 am »
You know, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone still harps on about returning to Sonic Adventure style... WHY?

Because for me its the best Sonic game ever made and I think you're missing the point of Big the cat, when comparing it to the Werehog sections. To play as BIG the cat was 'entirely optional' and there lies the key difference between the Werehog sections which were not optional at all.

With Sonic Adv you just played as Sonic, it was up to you if you wanted to play as the other characters to add to the games length and that's what I want in a Sonic game and that's just to play as Sonic !. It's what killed the likes HALO V for me, I didn't want to play as anyone else other than the Master chief, or MGS 2 when I only wanted to play as Snake.

Looking over that Sonic Adv was a fantasic adv , I loved the hub sections , the speed of the game, the set-pieces and the level desgined captured every great about Sonic game with its cool attitude  and action, never mind the game having one of the best music scores in video game history  and if that wasn't even it even had a pretty good pinball game in it too.

That game was a true labour of Love and also Windy Valley and Speed Highway are my fav Sonic levels out of any game
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #483 on: March 18, 2017, 06:28:39 am »
Because for me its the best Sonic game ever made and I think you're missing the point of Big the cat, when comparing it to the Werehog sections. To play as BIG the cat was 'entirely optional' and there lies the key difference between the Werehog sections which were not optional at all.

With Sonic Adv you just played as Sonic, it was up to you if you wanted to play as the other characters to add to the games length and that's what I want in a Sonic game and that's just to play as Sonic !. It's what killed the likes HALO V for me, I didn't want to play as anyone else other than the Master chief, or MGS 2 when I only wanted to play as Snake.

Looking over that Sonic Adv was a fantasic adv , I loved the hub sections , the speed of the game, the set-pieces and the level desgined captured every great about Sonic game with its cool attitude  and action, never mind the game having one of the best music scores in video game history  and if that wasn't even it even had a pretty good pinball game in it too.

That game was a true labour of Love and also Windy Valley and Speed Highway are my fav Sonic levels out of any game

I love Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, but they've both aged like milk... Even the Sonic sections, the controls are loose and the homing attack is finnicky as hell. I appriciate the grand scale of the adventure, but I don't want to do any activities in a Sonic game besides fast action platforming, but if I JUST play the sonic sections the game is over in what - an hour?

I just find Sonic Colours and Generations a lot more refined. (And fun.) Though I will agree about Windy Valley being really awesome.
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #484 on: March 18, 2017, 07:04:31 am »
but if I JUST play the sonic sections the game is over in what - an hour?

Yeah just like the classic Sonic games which were all short, could be finished in one play and super easy, but for some reason people still rave about Sonic and Sonic II ?.

I didn't like Sonic Adv II much as I found the whole game a letdown and I hated the horrible Dr Doctor Eggman, Knuckles and Rouge the Bat sections and didn't like the fact that I had to play those sections and it wasn't optional, it broke the game flow for me and I didn't like it.  SEGA got the gameplay spot on for a 3D Sonic game with the daylight sections of Unleashed and I hope the team will just build on and continue the great work in Colors and Gen; Those games were just a little shy of being perfect Sonic games and a bit more polish and fixing small issues would have done .

I can't wait for this myself
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #485 on: March 18, 2017, 09:23:34 am »
Personally I think Adventure 2 was rock solid mechanically just like other Sega games during that era like Jet Set Radio Future. Fast forward a year later, Billy Hatcher and Sonic Heroes for some reason felt incredibly clunk and unrefined.
It wasn't until Colors and Generations that Sonic felt finally tight to control. He was on soap ever since Heroes up intil Unleashed.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #486 on: March 18, 2017, 02:10:37 pm »
Personally I think Adventure 2 was rock solid mechanically just like other Sega games during that era like Jet Set Radio Future. Fast forward a year later, Billy Hatcher and Sonic Heroes for some reason felt incredibly clunk and unrefined.
It wasn't until Colors and Generations that Sonic felt finally tight to control. He was on soap ever since Heroes up intil Unleashed.

For sure.  Even the mechs controlled well.  I also prefer Adventure 2 over 1 for it's very wide range of genres of music and they're all pretty fantastic.  Smooth Jazz, Rap, Rock, even the various Chao Garden themes particularly the good and bad Chao themes.  Adventure 1 had a variety too, but LIVE AND LEARN by itself just annihilates it.
Be like water.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #487 on: March 19, 2017, 03:44:42 pm »
Itching to play this now. I've re-installed Generations and although it's great, I've played it to death and I've gotten all the red stars etc. Hurry up Sonic Forces!

Might have to dig my Wii out to play Colours.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:08:59 pm by Tad »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #488 on: March 22, 2017, 11:03:51 am »
Shouldn't it make sense that a potential 3rd gameplay would be more open 3d? I feel like these split gameplay type of games are a good thing to satisfy everyone and experiment in the process. Maybe it could lead to something greater in the future if its well received. Boost gameplay has never been my personal favourite, but along side stuff I do favour it would be a perfect package imo. Boost gameplay can be very exhilarating

Offline Tad

« Reply #489 on: March 22, 2017, 12:08:56 pm »
That's not a bad line of thought for this. Just by the 40 second clip, I think they've actually slowed the boost down a bit which is a good move I think, but this 3rd gameplay really could be a mix of anything. It might even just be the free roaming mode like SA1 or something.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #490 on: March 22, 2017, 02:14:36 pm »
A hub world along the lines of Sonic Utopia would be nice...
Be like water.

Offline Tad

« Reply #491 on: March 22, 2017, 05:09:49 pm »
I dunno. Utopia seems nice, but I don't think a full game like that would be fun. It seemed really odd.

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #492 on: March 22, 2017, 07:10:30 pm »
I dunno. Utopia seems nice, but I don't think a full game like that would be fun. It seemed really odd.

I mean as like a hub world, you know, in between stages where you get to mess around.  Like Sonic Jam for Saturn.  Except have rings and enemies, missions from Knothole residents (if you go the archie/satam route), secret power-ups, secret levels like finding labyrinth zone below that leads to a water stage.  have each area of the hub world themed for it's stage like in Banjo Kazooie.  Just an idea.  Maybe for Sonic Adventure 3?  :)
Be like water.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #493 on: March 23, 2017, 01:08:56 pm »
Make it a mini-RPG (2-3 hours) in the quest for one emerald. 4 or 5 simple quest and race missions and a boss.
SEG4GES

Offline Shun-Di

« Reply #494 on: March 23, 2017, 03:27:44 pm »
Make it a mini-RPG (2-3 hours) in the quest for one emerald. 4 or 5 simple quest and race missions and a boss.

If so, it'll be an action RPG.  I don't think kids today will have the patience sadly.  I would love a Final Fantasy esque Sonic game if done right. Dark Brotherhood had kind of the right idea, but was unpolished.
Be like water.