Author Topic: New Captain America is Black  (Read 21110 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: New Captain America is Black
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 03:52:22 am »
You know i wonder if this has anything to do with the Jack Kirby case that's coming up in the supreme courts? Marvel is in danger of losing their copyrights to many of those characters he helped co created because the family is suing Marvel but they may not have to pay them that much if they lose the case if they change the characters enough that it doesn't resemble the original concept from lee or kirby...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 08:39:54 am »
As for how 'Captain America' came back by being shot, it is explained in 'Captain America: Reborn' series.

"Rogers did not die, and that the gun Sharon Carter had been hypnotized to use had actually caused Rogers to phase in and out of space and time, appearing at events in his lifetime and fighting battles. The Skull returns Rogers to the present, where he takes control of Rogers' mind and body. Rogers eventually regains control, and with help from his allies, defeats the Skull in the fourth and final issues of this miniseries." - From wiki

Reminds me of how they brought back Batman after Final Crisis (which they shouldn't have since New 52 was a few years away)

This is why I always clarify that I don't read capeshit when I tell people I read comics. 99.99999% of it seems to be varying degrees of garbage.

A lot of non cape stuff is also garbage, but it seems less widespread.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 07:29:42 pm »
This is why I always clarify that I don't read capeshit when I tell people I read comics. 99.99999% of it seems to be varying degrees of garbage.

A lot of non cape stuff is also garbage, but it seems less widespread.
Been reading Zero, Revival, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine, Sex Criminals have all knocked it out of the park. Zero is getting a TV show soon, so I guess I'll hear from people how big comic book fans they are cuz its a popular television series. (Oh, I love comics. I watch the walking dead etc)

Right now DC Comics has some pretty good series Snyder is killing it on Batman, Lemire really rebooted Green Arrow, Justice League is pretty awesome and liked the Forever Evil event, Marvel's Hawkeye is actually well done, Swamp thing is always ace.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 09:32:24 pm »
I used to be a huge comic collector and reader, but I pretty much stopped after I got married about 3 years ago. The only comic I stay consistent with is Captain America, but I may stop now that Sam Wilson is taking over. Some of my favorites are All star superman, superman red son, ultimates vol 1 & 2. Y the last man, walking dead, etc

I used to keep up with DC as well, but stopped after Geoff johns took over. Darkest night was okay, but I didn't care about all of the rebirths like aquaman and flash
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline George

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 09:57:43 pm »
Bu......t Geoff Jones did a excellent Vibe/Aquaman run. Vibe was so good, :(

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:15 pm »
I'll admit I have no idea who Vibe is..

I don't mind Geoff Johns, but I feel like he's way too involved with everything DC. I might give his aquaman series another go, although I was extremely jealous of him bringing em back.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:54:43 pm by pirovash88 »

Offline George

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 01:12:44 am »
Vibe is basically Spiderman hero in the DCU, gets recruited in the New 52 to join JLA a anti-JL task force and his power was suppose to slow down Flash. But he thought he was going to be a hero, Spiderman type humor between him and his brother.

http://dcinfinite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/justice-league-of-america-new-52-2-hawkman-vibe.jpg

Offline ROJM

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 04:39:57 am »
Ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha..................Meaning Jacks family sues Dinsey which owns Marvel.

They're suing Marvel not Disney...Their beef has always been with Marvel. I hope they win myself...

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 08:44:04 am »
Disney owns Marvel now. When you own something, you have a degree of control. Disney owns Lucusfilms and canned their subsidiary LFGames. Konami owned HudsonSoft look at them now.

Jacks family is probably doing this, because they know that Disney have the money, and they can win. Which lawyers you think are doing the talking now?

Everybody seems to blame image comics for the downfall of Marvel. Isn't image made up of X Marvel employees.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:45:56 am by RegalSin »

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:38 am »
Vibe is basically Spiderman hero in the DCU, gets recruited in the New 52 to join JLA a anti-JL task force and his power was suppose to slow down Flash. But he thought he was going to be a hero, Spiderman type humor between him and his brother.

http://dcinfinite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/justice-league-of-america-new-52-2-hawkman-vibe.jpg

Strange that i've never heard of the guy, then again i was always more of a Marvel fan. Although, i will say that DC tends to pick-up some of the better stuff.

What was the deal with the new 52? Were they just 52 new comics series?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 11:16:14 am »
Been reading Zero, Revival, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine, Sex Criminals have all knocked it out of the park. Zero is getting a TV show soon, so I guess I'll hear from people how big comic book fans they are cuz its a popular television series. (Oh, I love comics. I watch the walking dead etc)

Right now DC Comics has some pretty good series Snyder is killing it on Batman, Lemire really rebooted Green Arrow, Justice League is pretty awesome and liked the Forever Evil event, Marvel's Hawkeye is actually well done, Swamp thing is always ace.

I've been reading a whole lot of comics recently, but my favourites are
Pretty Deadly (where the hell is #6?)
East of West
Caliban
Auteur

Followed by Manifest Destiny, The Witcher (Surprisingly decent), Southern Bastards and a few others. Punisher is actually up there as well sometimes I have to say. I loved the concept of Ten Grand, but that series went downhill very fucking fast.

I have Saga Vol 1 from the Humble Bundle a while back, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

As for Snyder, I thought most people didn't like Death of the Family at least. Maybe it was just /co/, but from what I read I thought it was a bit 2edgy4me.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 12:26:00 pm »
Disney owns Marvel now. When you own something, you have a degree of control. Disney owns Lucusfilms and canned their subsidiary LFGames. Konami owned HudsonSoft look at them now.

Jacks family is probably doing this, because they know that Disney have the money, and they can win. Which lawyers you think are doing the talking now?

Everybody seems to blame image comics for the downfall of Marvel. Isn't image made up of X Marvel employees.

Wrong. Kirby and his family have been in this battle for Marvel for years. Now what's happened is that the Supreme Court will hear the case..if the Kirbys win it could change or have a profound affect on copyright laws as they currently stand. It has nothing to do with Disney directly. I suggest you research the subject that you are talking about before you come with genralisations.

Offline George

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 04:38:22 pm »
Mademan: I have also been waiting for Pretty Deadly #6. Glad not the only one picking it up. Death of the Family was good, I think Snyder's stories have been good. The only issue is shitty tie-ins that he is against and everyone thought someone was going to die in that arc. He said in a podcast that "The Joker's joke was that everyone was looking for a death in my book, but Batman Inc is the one with the death. Joke's on you" or something like that. He said his story was about the relationship with the Batfamily. Also he has stated that he doesn't like big cross over stories but is sorta forced by DC on that stuff. More $$$ with tie-ins. I suggest reading his Court of Owls and Zero Year.
Strange that i've never heard of the guy, then again i was always more of a Marvel fan. Although, i will say that DC tends to pick-up some of the better stuff.

What was the deal with the new 52? Were they just 52 new comics series?
New 52 is a brand new 'universe' of sorts. Basically its a new world with new remakes of some characters. Batman is basically the same but now he is younger and from the start he has only been batman for 5 years.

The idea is that they have 52 comics a month, but its like at 46 or something due to cancellations. But they will get around to announcing new titles.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 04:59:03 pm »
Jack Kirby's being brought up in here, meanwhile Marvel's next big movie is featuring at least two of his characters (Groot and Ronan the Accuser)

Offline pirovash88

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 05:26:01 pm »
Mademan: I have also been waiting for Pretty Deadly #6. Glad not the only one picking it up. Death of the Family was good, I think Snyder's stories have been good. The only issue is shitty tie-ins that he is against and everyone thought someone was going to die in that arc. He said in a podcast that "The Joker's joke was that everyone was looking for a death in my book, but Batman Inc is the one with the death. Joke's on you" or something like that. He said his story was about the relationship with the Batfamily. Also he has stated that he doesn't like big cross over stories but is sorta forced by DC on that stuff. More $$$ with tie-ins. I suggest reading his Court of Owls and Zero Year. New 52 is a brand new 'universe' of sorts. Basically its a new world with new remakes of some characters. Batman is basically the same but now he is younger and from the start he has only been batman for 5 years.

The idea is that they have 52 comics a month, but its like at 46 or something due to cancellations. But they will get around to announcing new titles.

Hmm.. Well that's strange. I'm surprised they didn't make race or sex changes on some of their characters just like Marvel. I might have to look into some more of DC's comics. Recommend any new 52 issues?