Author Topic: Nintendo *swiqu swiqu* Switch revealed or something like that  (Read 55996 times)

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: So anyone even care about the next thing from Nintendo? (NX)
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 03:46:07 pm »
Barry you've pretty much listed out my experience with WiiU as well. Tried but couldn't get into W101 (ditto every other non-sega platinum game).

My friend twisted my arm to buy Xenoblade X which I'm sure is legitimately great, but it's collecting dust until I see everything and do everything twice in Yakuza 5. Even still I doubt that one game is going to change my feelings towards Nintendo at this point.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 03:57:16 pm »
Amazing that in 26 months Wii U gave me about 5 exclusive games I can say are must owns and defined the system, while the Dreamcast offered up a good few dozen games that I'd easily also name as must own exclusives. Granted I'm a SEGA fan, but the Dreamcast really didn't offer up many returning IPs from the SMS to Saturn era, it was mostly new IPs (Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, JSR, SC5, Seaman) with the returning IPs being greatly changed from their originals (PSO going MMO, Sonic Adventure going 3D). Not to mention the third party titles, especially Capcom's output. And just about every genre had at least 2-3 AAA titles.

As mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo's franchises outside of Mario, but even then all I've ignored so far on Wii U was Pikmin 3, the Zelda remake (well, I own it, but it was bundled with the system), and Smash Bros. I'm racking my brain for longtime Nintendo IPs I've ignored, but none come to mind.

Point is, despite an early death, the Dreamcast felt worth it. The Wii U, meanwhile, has yet to feel worth it.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 04:23:03 pm »
You can add me to that list. I bought a Wii u and I've just struggled to finish a lot of the games I've bought for it. Zelda WW, SLW and Splatoon are probably the only ones I've finished. I found Mario Kart 8 really slow, annoying, and the tracks very meh. I got to a point in Donkey Kong and I just couldn't play anymore as the level design really bugged me, and although they are good, I do struggle with Mario games as they're just not for me really.

I have to say though, the SMW3D (awful name) game is probably the weakest I've seen from them. It reeked of "we need a Mario title on this now!". It just looked and played bland for me. A huge let down after Galaxy.

The next games I was looking forward to were Zelda and Starfox, but Starfox has been badly handled (again) and Zelda will probably be on the NX.

Offline MercenaryOne

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 05:20:09 pm »
If I do buy any new console, it will be the Wii U, and that will be when the NX comes out and the Wii U and a plethora of its library is in the bargain bin at your local Walmart.

So I want to point out that I lied in that statement. My brother bought a Wii U and nearly every game for it, I borrowed it and I have given most games a chance, and honestly nearly every game is absolute junk. They lack long term entertainment, by that I mean sitting for hours enjoying a single game. They also lack any replay-ability. This is even with multiplayer games. I still don't one a XBO or PS4, and still don't see myself getting either of those as well. But at least they have more enticing games.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 04:40:08 am »
To get back on topic, does anyone think that nintendo can get a massive audience back? With that I mean the casual gamer. If not them, who else are they gonna built their succes on..?

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 01:39:45 pm »
No. The casual audience is gone and i'm still not convinced Nintendo believes that as well. If this console doesn't appeal to the hardcore gamer, it will bomb, period. I know there are others out there that think Nintendo has to go niche/casual to survive, but the Wii U has proven that it's not a viable market anymore.

The NX must have 3rd party support, along with great exclusives in order to succeed. I still believe that there can be 3 consoles on the market that offer similar experiences and the exclusives will dictate their success. Plenty of people have thought that jumping into the market(ie Sony, MS) late in the game wasn't possible, but they've proven those theories wrong.

Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »
Amazing that in 26 months Wii U gave me about 5 exclusive games I can say are must owns and defined the system, while the Dreamcast offered up a good few dozen games that I'd easily also name as must own exclusives. Granted I'm a SEGA fan, but the Dreamcast really didn't offer up many returning IPs from the SMS to Saturn era, it was mostly new IPs (Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, JSR, SC5, Seaman) with the returning IPs being greatly changed from their originals (PSO going MMO, Sonic Adventure going 3D). Not to mention the third party titles, especially Capcom's output. And just about every genre had at least 2-3 AAA titles.

As mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo's franchises outside of Mario, but even then all I've ignored so far on Wii U was Pikmin 3, the Zelda remake (well, I own it, but it was bundled with the system), and Smash Bros. I'm racking my brain for longtime Nintendo IPs I've ignored, but none come to mind.

Point is, despite an early death, the Dreamcast felt worth it. The Wii U, meanwhile, has yet to feel worth it.

I would agree if not for Splatoon.  That game is worth buying the console for alone. 

Offline Tad

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2016, 02:45:59 pm »
No. The casual audience is gone and i'm still not convinced Nintendo believes that as well. If this console doesn't appeal to the hardcore gamer, it will bomb, period. I know there are others out there that think Nintendo has to go niche/casual to survive, but the Wii U has proven that it's not a viable market anymore.

The NX must have 3rd party support, along with great exclusives in order to succeed. I still believe that there can be 3 consoles on the market that offer similar experiences and the exclusives will dictate their success. Plenty of people have thought that jumping into the market(ie Sony, MS) late in the game wasn't possible, but they've proven those theories wrong.

I agree. They need third party support. It'll be a real plus for them and it'll shake that image of them being just for kids.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 12:06:12 am »
The people you guys are talking about (me also) are probably done with Nintendo hardware, whether there is third party or not. The nintendo only console owner doesnt exist anymore. Most of those guys always have another console or PC for those games. In most cases probably convinced like you guys, that Nintendo aint worth any investment because there's apparently no certainty. Nintendo as a brand has been damaged so much this gen its not something I think they can just easily get people back on board by just having third party. It needs to have a much better draw

I think there's 2 type of casual gamer. You have those who play mobile, and those who still play on consoles but only the more accesable or interesting games. Say Call of Duty and minecraft. Nintendo cant get neither on board imho. Lets say Nintendo has realized this and are trying to get the hardcore back on board. Is such a thing even possible now? I really dont think so honestly..

I have always been of the suggestion that Nintendo should have felt forced to do a PS3(or a 3ds to a lesser extent) this gen before starting a new console. Basically what I mean is support the WII U even if it meant sacrifising a lot of themselves(money). Try to satisfy the people who picked up their hardware as much as possible before going to the next one. Instead Nintendo even with its small installbase, has desperatly tried to suck even them dry with amiibos and shitty cashgrab games like Amiibo festival and Mario tennis power smash. Amazing.

Sony is now picking the fruits of the sacrifises they've made during the ps3 era. Major sacrifises and losses were made. But in return, sony gained respect and goodwill from the gamers. It was a perfect time to anounce the ps4 with the huge appreciation gained from ps3 owners, and now look at the results. Honestly when you look at it that way, there's few who would take such a long term lookout aproach in their business. Thats the best way to do it though honestly.

My point is, Nintendo is fucked outside of the most loyal nintendo fans. Trying to create something unique to catch attention from the average joe is pretty much something I expect them to do unless I overestimate the damage that has been done to Nintendo as a brand.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:48:07 am by CrazyT »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2016, 01:52:20 am »
Sony is just getting heated up, Sony always has weak software years like 1-3 years at the start of their hardware and then picks up the steam with releasing ton of great content. Like Uncharted 4 is BARELY coming out this year and its a few years old. Even without their big first party games (its been meh from them recently) their outselling the Xbone 2 to 1: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1168019

Think about that. Xbone actually has 3rd party support, not as strong as Sony but stronger than Nintendo. Now tell me how Nintendo will stop Sony's PS4? That console is just started to get heated up, Sony is a company that supports their home consoles strongly for over 8 years. Shoot, PS3 still gets some great titles stateside (Yakuza 5... if it counts).

Yeah, I think Nintendo is done. PC gaming is on the rise, Sony Playstation 4 is on the rise, and mobile is on the rise. The day of Nintendo selling 100 million+ handhelds is over.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2016, 12:34:56 pm »
At least with the WiiU you're getting mostly what you want, sequels to some of the Ninty franchises you love and new IPs, some of them pretty shitty (Devil's Third) and others pretty amazing (Splatoon). And for all the negativity and shitty execution, I'll always cherish my WiiU for the sole reason of Nintendo spearheading the Bayonetta sequel, something that Sega wasn't willing to fork the cash for, which is pretty ironic since Bayo 2 still presented a parade of Sega homages after Bayo 1 which was almost a love letter to old Sega games.

I love my Wii U for Bayonetta 2, Splatoon and Pikmin 3, but I do wish Nintendo provided more 1st Party games with it.

In comparison to the Dreamcast (from Barry's post), it can be seen as putting your Eggs all in one basket there. SEGA had nothing to lose by that point (as a personal opinion, I almost bought one this month, but looking at their line up, most of the games can be found elsewhere with the other games still on the system not being enough to own one, at least for me), but Nintendo in this comparison does, so the Wii U is more of a risk for them to continue on with, which is fine, but I won't be getting the NX until I know where it stands. The ATLUS crossover game looks a little too campy for my tastes, but I hope the gameplay offers something not found anywhere else.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 09:11:35 am »
You don't own a Dreamcast!? Get one now man!

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2016, 09:57:45 am »
Put it this way, I won't be buying multiple consoles per generations... I prefer PC gaming these days and I will at some point pick up a console in each generation... And I seriously doubt a Nintendo console is going to be the one I choose to pick up.

Nintendo's saving grace is that they do every so often put out an excellent game, but their consoles aren't for me.

For a start if I buy a console I will probably first consider which has the most games available that interest me and while Nintendo consoles get all Nintendo games they never, not since the SNES get the most 3rd parties... And really, I only like a handful of Nintendo first party games.

Secondly, I was given a Wii not long after launch and from my experience with it I can safely say traditional controllers are preferred.

Third, Nintendo consoles are simply behind the times. What they offer for online play and online services is so far behind the competition, it's really pathetic and they tend to be the least powerful console on the market and of course they're region locked... I don't expect these things to change.

But I think the most off putting thing and what I reckon they want to focus heavily on is... Amiibo. I absolutely hate the anti-consumer way these things work. Lock on-disk content behind a toy? Fuck off. As I said in another thread recently, as a SEGA fan I don't even buy the really nice SEGA figures, so I'm sure as shit not buying cheap plastic Nintendo ones... Not to mention the trickled release to create false hype... All round disgusting.

tl;dr... No.
Made by SEGA

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 06:48:26 am »
I was excited for Twilight Princess HD, but if Nintendo NX continues this trend of amiibo paywalls, count me out.

Nintendo germany recently accidently early released a video about amiibo functionality in the game. There is content locked behind 3 different amiibos (a 45 dollar+ paywall on top of the main game in the US!)

Nintendo is quickly surpassing EA and Activision on the whole nickel and dimeing their customers dry aspect.

Offline Tad

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2016, 07:26:08 am »
Wow, that's bad!

The sad thing is, this entire industry will just lap it up as it's Nintendo.