Author Topic: Gaming News  (Read 72023 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Gaming News
« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2017, 02:24:26 am »
I get what you mean and I also agree with that a lot of people may rationalize it like that. All im saying is that they got a neat product for once that is a lot more marketable than previous ones in which it was usually the software driving the lame hardware. People may WANT it at first glance at least.

I don't think it'll quite pan out that way sadly. As the DF video says, the switch is a good handheld, but picture quality on the TV is pretty poor and with gamers already rightfully skeptical due to the Wii, Wii u and the NS's price.

It's an even harder sale for the casual market too. Apart from the Ipad, they can get a gaming tablet or phone with a better charge for under £200 already and with much cheaper games. If Nintendo market it as a console you can use as a handheld, people can see it's underpowered and expensive, but if Nintendo market it as a handheld that can be a console, it's in the same niche market as the Nvida Shield or high end tablets.

I get the feeling after the initial rush from Nintendo gamers and people after the lastest shiny, sales will fall of a cliff. Especially in Europe where we're getting shafted by the price. I like the idea of a handheld and console hybrid, but I think Nintendo went with it without looking at the market, without looking at their position and without looking at costs.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:52:13 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2017, 03:29:28 am »
I get what you mean and I also agree with that a lot of people may rationalize it like that. All im saying is that they got a neat product for once that is a lot more marketable than previous ones in which it was usually the software driving the lame hardware. People may WANT it at first glance at least.
But who wants it? Too weak for traditional gamers, too expensive for parents to buy their kids.. Nintendo is staying away from the idea of competing with iPads, so who is this really for?

Once again Nintendo is counting on their (shrinking) legion of fanboy geektarts to make a profit, while throwing in generic gimmick concepts they think the mainstream public will be inclined to buy on impulse (like the Wii).
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2017, 04:41:52 pm »
Tbh i'm not sure either. Impulse buyers? Personally I don't think they deserve to have a succes with how greedy they've been acting lately and now again with the switch. It's too bad because 300$ wouldnt be thaaat bad if everything else was priced reasonably and there was no payed online. Also weird how it costs 30€ above the dollar price in europe(wtf). Seems like it should be like Tad says where the hardcore will be there day one as usual and then dead in the water after that. I'm just giving a bit of possibilities but nintendo is known to have their head up teheir ass lol

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2017, 04:55:46 pm »

Lol

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2017, 01:29:12 am »
Ahaha brilliant

How will Nintendo tackle the handheld market from now on? I feel this is the question everyone is afraid to ask.
If it weren't for the GameBoy/DS lines, Nintendo would have dropped out around the same time as Sega, it was the handhelds that built up their massive cash reserve. So how will they handle from now on?

Should Sega make a handheld??!???!
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2017, 01:56:44 am »
I think that market has been eclipsed by tablets and phones really. Your best option is to probably just make software and hardware like a controller or TV connecter for them.

That would probably suit Nintendo well as they seem fixated on making controllers.

The only other option is to create your own, but I'd say that's what Nintendo are trying to do with the Switch.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:58:49 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2017, 02:51:24 am »
I think that market has been eclipsed by tablets and phones really. Your best option is to probably just make software and hardware like a controller or TV connecter for them.
I don't think it's eclipsed at all.. I just think nobody is going into it correctly. Sony fucked it up, Nintendo repeated the DS formula (for great effect), but there is a need for something new and I don't see the Switch filling that gap.
I think Sony would be in a better mindset
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2017, 12:05:08 pm »
The 3DS did well along side the tablet/phone market, so you're right.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2017, 06:33:49 pm »
Ahaha brilliant

How will Nintendo tackle the handheld market from now on? I feel this is the question everyone is afraid to ask.
If it weren't for the GameBoy/DS lines, Nintendo would have dropped out around the same time as Sega, it was the handhelds that built up their massive cash reserve. So how will they handle from now on?

Should Sega make a handheld??!???!
SEGA should defenitly! The tablet market is way too big for not to wanna 'penetrate' it a bit. Which brings me to what I think nintendo wants to do. I think nintendo wants to do exactly that with its tablet. For one it actually looks like a premium tablet from first glance, second it can do so many things more (gaming releated) than a regular one. This should probably catch the attention and will be its selling point. Whether its going to have mass apeal however I dont know. Tbh while the price is way out of what a gamer expects of such a device let alone a nintendo device, i honestly think that we're picky compared to the average consumer. I think Nintendo switch's succes depends a lot more on its mass apeal than anything else.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:35:47 pm by CrazyT »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2017, 03:09:21 am »
Although the average consumer would rather avoid embarrassing situations such as "is that the new ipad? no it's a Nintendo". Nintendo will always be associated with kids and weird manchildren. And Nintendo doesn't understand western kids with their lit fam bois.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2017, 11:21:39 pm »
Either way it doesnt really matter as long nintendo is the one behind a product it will always be trash. Always went against a third party nintendo but at this point i hope they do. Switch failing can only be a good thing in that regard.

Offline Tad

« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2017, 12:39:24 am »
Ever since Nintendo dropped out of the power race, I've always thought they should of gone the cheaper hardware, cheaper price route personally. If it weren't for their gimmicky controllers, they probably wouldn't of had a choice but to either. I mean, sure, they would not get the triple A games still, but it will have Nintendo's first party games with the odd good third party title and indie support. If the price is right, say around 200, I think people would've picked it up still.

I like the idea of a hybrid handheld/console, but either Nintendo are being a bit greedy with the price or they couldn't get the price down low enough to really carve out their own audience. If the latter is true, then maybe they should have dropped the idea for something else instead.

Maybe not a hybrid, but 2 devices (one portable, one console) that share the same games library?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:23:33 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:09 am »
Tad is super on point.

Nintendo could have released the Switch as two independent machines sharing the same hardware, a 200e home console and a 200e portable, that run the exact same games.

Man, I would be raving, on line day one to get the portable one.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2017, 10:56:21 pm »
The propositions of me eventually getting a Switch would be

it becoming a succes(for actual support)
it online costs 2 euro p/m for online at MAX and like maybe 20 a year or so
............a legit metroid game(i'm weak)

Offline Tad

« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2017, 02:32:47 pm »