Author Topic: Aliens: Colonial Marines  (Read 113181 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2013, 07:59:41 am »
arcticsea, gaming is pretty much like football.

You may enjoy games from every company, very much the same way a footy fan likes to watch a good football match. But there is one company (club) that's in your heart. The one that makes you sad when they aren't doing well. And the one you SUPPORT by focusing on the positives even when things go wrong.

In the end the beauty of football isn't on the technical side of the sport. It's in the heart of the fans.

Sure, you can enjoy games technically, but there are people in the videogame world that touch your feelings. And for most of us these people work for Sega.

Now, they've lost their identity and release continuous sub-par experiences, punctuated by infrequent glimmers of their past glory.
That's the most bullshit argument I've ever read.
If you think the games are that sub-par, don't buy then ffs. Buy the good ones.
Sega as a developer makes fantastic games. As a publisher it releases some stinkers. But the way you are explaining yourself you're just a step from saying Sega is shit because of Sonic 06 like some youtube comments say
SEG4GES

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2013, 08:02:12 am »
arcticsea, gaming is pretty much like football.

You may enjoy games from every company, very much the same way a footy fan likes to watch a good football match. But there is one company (club) that's in your heart. The one that makes you sad when they aren't doing well. And the one you SUPPORT by focusing on the positives even when things go wrong.

In the end the beauty of football isn't on the technical side of the sport. It's in the heart of the fans.

Sure, you can enjoy games technically, but there are people in the videogame world that touch your feelings. And for most of us these people work for Sega.

That's the most beautiful articulate post i've read in a long time. KUDOS!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2013, 08:10:31 am »
The game was good. But nothing special.

That is totally like, your opinion man! (And when do good games not sell?!)

But you know, I loved the characters (Cain and Big Bo were my favourite) I loved the machines being ripped apart, I loved the boss battles, I loved the machine designs and I loved the pacing of the game. To me, I would love to make SEGA make a Binary Domain 2 and it is the first shooter since Resident Evil 4 I opted to replay.

But my point was this game just was not supported. Yes it could have failed either way, but SEGA guaranteed this title was a failure. Just like they did Yakuza, just like Valkyria Chronicles and so on.

----

Also Ben! Don't worry I'll reply to you soon enough, just give me a day man!

Offline ROJM

« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2013, 08:13:48 am »

I recall when Rise of Nightmares was released, reviews were largely mixed. I had put in a call for a review copy from SEGA, and I was nervous. I watched a video before playing the game and it looked wonky. I read reviews that made it out to be shit. I played it and... I ended up liking it! Sure I wasn't giving it a 10/10, but I found myself being in the category of liking it but not loving it. Had I never played it, and only formed an opinion based on videos and reviews I'd probably be saying it was a shitty game. But since I've played it, I can honestly say that it is my opinion that Rise of Nightmares is a fun arcade-style game with a lot of creepy moments and innovative concepts, and that the game was well worth my time. 

Yes it was a shame about RoN. I think the ideas presented in that title and SONIC FREE RIDERS would have been better executed once they got the hang of it had Sega continued Kinect development. I think there's an element in Sega that the teams aren't getting the chance to really explore the systems that they are making games for in order to at one point acheive the quality that most of us are accustomed to. Sonic is actually a good example of this. For years the Sonic games have been struggling in the 3d arena with a minor highlights here and there. Then suddenly Sega manage to get it right with the last couple of Sonic titles. Now if one can see the process from SONIC HEROES to SONIC GENERATIONS you can see that SONIC UNLEASED while a bad idea for a game was the turning point which led to the better Sonic G and SONIC COLORS. The difference is it took over 8-9 years for them to get to that point. Before the consumer teams were allowed time to get to develop a game idea and get a grasp of a system where nowadays its gotta to be an instant hit on a platform that has to make the money or its nothing, leaving any little room to evolve the process which they did have back in the eighties and nineties. And the main reason i'm saying this is because most of the peeps at Sega now are a new generation barring a few older heads so its important if they find there feet. But that's not necessarly happening.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2013, 08:23:24 am »
That is totally like, your opinion man! (And when do good games not sell?!)

But you know, I loved the characters (Cain and Big Bo were my favourite) I loved the machines being ripped apart, I loved the boss battles, I loved the machine designs and I loved the pacing of the game. To me, I would love to make SEGA make a Binary Domain 2 and it is the first shooter since Resident Evil 4 I opted to replay.

But my point was this game just was not supported. Yes it could have failed either way, but SEGA guaranteed this title was a failure. Just like they did Yakuza, just like Valkyria Chronicles and so on.

It makes me wonder if Sega builds a proper sequel to VALKYRIA and a sequel to BD that the games original positive reception would have resulted in larger sales because of word of mouth. I dont think releasing a sequel ten years after the first one or rereleasing the original to generate intrest of a sequel makes any sense anymore because the adulation for that title would have died down. They should do it while the iron is hot as the expression goes.

Offline thearcticsea

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:50 am »
I acquiesce.

This certainly isn't the first time or place in my life where seemingly everyone has disagreed with me.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2013, 12:00:03 pm »
I acquiesce.

This certainly isn't the first time or place in my life where seemingly everyone has disagreed with me.

actually I agreed with everything you said.  Should've spoke up I guess!

Offline thearcticsea

« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2013, 01:15:17 pm »
actually I agreed with everything you said.  Should've spoke up I guess!

No worries. I honestly respect everyone's opinions here, even if I use colorful language sometimes. I'm just as in love with Sega as everyone else here. This is the reason I'm so disappointed in their present, and cynical of their future.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2013, 01:28:48 pm »
No worries. I honestly respect everyone's opinions here, even if I use colorful language sometimes. I'm just as in love with Sega as everyone else here. This is the reason I'm so disappointed in their present, and cynical of their future.

I hear you.  It really comes down to how happy you've been with the past few years of releases.  For me the volume and quality has dropped so drastically that It's gotten depressing.  Sega is kind of like a grandmother with Alzheimer's at this point.  You absolutely still love her but she has lost her mind and is on her way out.  Occasionally though, she has flashes of recognition and reverts to her old self, reminding you of how great she used to be.

But if you're satisfied with a Yakuza sequel, A Virtual Fighter expansion, a terrible free to pay mmorpg, and the occasional solid to good sonic game, more power to you.   

Offline thearcticsea

« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2013, 01:32:12 pm »

But if you're satisfied with a Yakuza sequel, A Virtual Fighter expansion, a terrible free to pay mmorpg, and the occasional solid to good sonic game, more power to you.   

**Slow clap

Bravo, Sir. Bravo.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2013, 03:10:06 pm »
No, i'm free to play a game and then FORM an opinion. There's nothing in ACM that a few patches couldn't fix.

A few patches can't completely re-program the AI, they can't write a better story, they can't add more variety to the campaign, they really can't fix the graphics...these are things that are sort of set in stone already, dude.

You don't like the game fair enough but dont start going around saying its a bad game because general concesus says it is, when the likelyhood is not a large people who have been trolling about ACM actually played it.

The general consensus is what matters for the sake of Sega...Word of mouth is horrendous for this title, which will kill sales (and hurt Sega) in the long run. Whether a couple generous gamers can get past its flaws to reap some enjoyment from the title is largely irrelevant; Sega can not continue to function by releasing games of this level of quality. Again, whether you enjoyed it doesn't really matter, as most people have not. And Sega can't keep releasing games that most people don't like.

I didn't see orchestrated media campaigns saying how this company has ruined the franchise and they've never made a good game or this witch hunt that's now going on.

You do realize that the backlash for Mass Effect 3's final 10 minutes was so severe and disheartening that the 2 founders of Bioware quit the company shortly after? I'm sorry but Aliens:Colonial Marines' backlash doesn't even touch that one.

You are also contradicting yourself by saying no one cared about the game when you recently said no body knew about it.

By and large, the public wasn't aware of Binary Domain. Many of those who were were turned off for various reasons.

There were tons of people here complaining how sega didn't market the game and thought that the game was good.

There were a few who complained.

Binary Domain simply had none of this. It was adequate. Capable. Acceptable. You played it, you finished it, you said "Okay, that was something." and then you cut up a watermelon and chewed for 20 minutes while a cat slept by the radiator. You were never freaking out over visuals, you were never feeling anything truly emotional for characters, and you certainly weren't up till 2am playing multiplayer. You didn't want to fall into that world and stay there for weeks and weeks.

I agree with basically everything you said there. Still, there was an audience Sega could have tapped into (sci fi audience) that I wish they had tried harder to nab.

Also Ben! Don't worry I'll reply to you soon enough, just give me a day man!

LOL no prob dude...topic's busy enough as it is at the moment.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:51:16 pm by Ben »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2013, 03:40:53 pm »
I hear you.  It really comes down to how happy you've been with the past few years of releases.  For me the volume and quality has dropped so drastically that It's gotten depressing.  Sega is kind of like a grandmother with Alzheimer's at this point.  You absolutely still love her but she has lost her mind and is on her way out.  Occasionally though, she has flashes of recognition and reverts to her old self, reminding you of how great she used to be.
How depressing. Good thing Sega isn't the least bit like that tho
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »
Perhaps you guys could move the cynical talk about SEGA to the 2013 discussion, or its own thread? Not really on topic.... again.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2013, 04:33:11 pm »
okay, sure well there's this now

http://www.destructoid.com/developer-gearbox-lied-to-sega-2k-over-colonial-marines-245986.phtml

just more anonymous sources surfacing to say gearbox fucked sega over big time.  I REALLY hope a lawsuit is coming.  I mean, they sued level 5 over the patent thing right?  How did that end up anyway? 

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2013, 05:20:03 pm »
People on 4chan's /v/ are ripping Gearbox apart on every Aliens thread.

Sega might actually end up having more empathy supporters after this. Is CA's Aliens rocks Sega would turn out to be heroes in all of this mess.
SEG4GES