Author Topic: Aliens: Colonial Marines  (Read 113225 times)

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2013, 02:52:38 pm »
Thanks, bro. I really appreciate it. I wrote a much longer critique of the game a few pages back, but I'll be doing a video review along with Aliens vs Predator in the coming months.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2013, 02:59:15 pm »
aint no wors game then a game that bricks your device

im sorry man.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07:49 pm »
Simple, not worth money. Redbox the game for a couple of bucks. Single player takes 6 hours to complete and since you can literally let the NPC's beat the game for you, its not that hard.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2013, 10:46:19 pm »
The NPC's weren't that capable on the PS3 version. Half the time, they were brain-dead idiots. They weren't much help in helping me kill that giant fucking bull-type xenomorph. It's such a shame, since they can't die. They do in AVP, but not here. Total bollox.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #214 on: February 25, 2013, 07:51:01 am »
You can Redbox video games??

Aw man, I checked. None of the ones near me have games, only movies.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2013, 12:28:19 pm »
You can Redbox video games??

Aw man, I checked. None of the ones near me have games, only movies.

Maybe he meant, Gamefly?
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #216 on: February 25, 2013, 01:47:39 pm »
Naw, I checked, you can RedBox video games. It's just not as prevalent as the DVD RedBoxes. I'd have to drive an hour to get Aliens: CM from a RedBox.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #217 on: February 25, 2013, 07:58:38 pm »
Kotaku isn't the most reputable source so take this with a grain of salt.  However they wrote a lengthy piece about the development of this game, in which a few new nuggets of information can be gleaned.

http://kotaku.com/5986694/from-dream-to-disaster-the-story-of-aliens-colonial-marines

For me the most valuable bit of info was this quote

"According to one source, Sega's producers wanted Colonial Marines to feel like Call of Duty—in other words, more shooting marines, less shooting aliens. Upper staff at both Gearbox and TimeGate disagreed with this mentality, the source said, and there was a tug-of-war between developer and publisher on how the game should be designed."   

If this kind of garbage is true, Sega deserves the game they got from Gearbox.  More like Call of Duty?  Fucking hell, Sega. 

Housed in the article is also a link to a supposedly anonymous Sega employee who rants pretty candidly about the state of the company and the industry.

http://segaawakens.blogspot.com/

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #218 on: February 25, 2013, 08:24:46 pm »
Well it's true that the game was originally meant to be more squad-based but that these features were removed to make the game more "accessible."

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2013, 08:35:01 pm »
But... even if SEGA requested more human vs. human gameplay, that doesn't excuse the quality of the finished product. Even Call of Duty, a franchise which I'm not into, doesn't have the problems that Aliens: CM has. I don't see how SEGA deserves the game they got from Gearbox if thats the case. Gearbox didn't like the (supposed) request from SEGA, so they were justified in a subpar effort?

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »
But... even if SEGA requested more human vs. human gameplay, that doesn't excuse the quality of the finished product. Even Call of Duty, a franchise which I'm not into, doesn't have the problems that Aliens: CM has. I don't see how SEGA deserves the game they got from Gearbox if thats the case. Gearbox didn't like the (supposed) request from SEGA, so they were justified in a subpar effort?

As far as I know, one of Colonial Marines' biggest criticism (in addition to shoddy workmanship in general obviously) is that the aliens are too easy to kill and that there has been a complete abandonment of the feelings of suspense and terror that the franchise is so famous for.  This would definitely be partly Sega's fault for demanding the game be more like CoD. 

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2013, 11:40:53 pm »
Everybody involved is at fault. Timegate, Gearbox, Sega, and Deimurge...everyone who worked on/oversaw the game.

Some of course are owed more of the blame than others....(Gearbox I think deserves most of the blame, and thankfully they've been getting it) but nobody really is a "victim" here. We're of course more likely to side with/feel bad for Sega, being such big fans....

But then again we may have been singing a totally different tune if we weren't loyal Sega fans and we were fooled into buying this game based on Sega's totally false footage, including footage that they used to advertise the game on television as recently as this month.

Sega was well aware that they were deceiving the public.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:47:19 pm by Ben »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #222 on: February 27, 2013, 07:52:19 am »
As far as I know, one of Colonial Marines' biggest criticism (in addition to shoddy workmanship in general obviously) is that the aliens are too easy to kill and that there has been a complete abandonment of the feelings of suspense and terror that the franchise is so famous for.  This would definitely be partly Sega's fault for demanding the game be more like CoD. 
No.
It would be okay to shoot marines like CoD and Aliens like fucking Aliens.

As far as we know, the game that came out has nothing to do with what Sega wanted.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #223 on: February 27, 2013, 08:08:06 am »
No.

As far as we know, the game that came out has nothing to do with what Sega wanted.

That's what I'm talking about. Even if SEGA did state that they wanted the game to feel like CoD, that doesn't excuse the way Gearbox and the other devs programmed the game and the enemies. In fact, I could imagine a game with great human enemy AI and great alien enemy AI to be a lot of fun. You take on other humans who act as enemy human soldiers do, while the aliens attack their own way. Also, I'd think with the aliens a less is more approach would have been better. From the videos I see, the aliens are far too numerous and they don't attack as aliens do. If aliens were a rarer occurance (not super rare, but not as common as squirrels), and attacked with a very unique alien style, they could be scary as they're meant to be.

Imagine playing a soldier vs. soldier game, but there is always the threat of an alien lurking in the shadows? To me, that's pretty fucking scary. You have to be able to perform basic combat, but also have to keep your senses open for alien attacks (who could assist you in attacking enemy soldiers or hurt you by attacking you and your own men).

That sort of scenario actually reminds me of Jurassic Park 2, where it was human vs. human, but there were velociraptors and other dinosaurs also on the prowl.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #224 on: February 27, 2013, 11:34:26 am »
No.

I could see it possibly working, but nobody asked for this and it wasn't what was promised in all the pre-release coverage.  At all.