Author Topic: Aliens: Colonial Marines  (Read 112748 times)

Offline semmie

• Banned
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 02:52:32 pm »
LOL Oh man!

Okay, okay. I picked up the game. I was thinking of cancelling it but hell, it was payed off and I was morbidly curious.

This game is AWESOME-ly bad. It's hilarious in that almost "so bad, it's good way". This game was started in 2006 and it looks and feels like it. The Aliens will just walk right up to you as you're shooting at them which is dumb for them as they go down really easily. That is, if you can see them. The environments are so dark, it's hard to tell where they are.

Fortunately, your A.I. buddies are good at killing their fair share of the Xenomorphs. Unfortunately, They do tend to walk right in your line of fire, but that's okay, because they are totally impervious to your bullets and don't react to them at all! XD

The AI on the Xenomorphs is horrendous. If they're are not coming at you directly for an attack, they'll just wander off randomly or get stuck in walls and corners. I had one run right past me and go to a flight of stairs where he hunched down and just stayed there frozen until I attacked him. The animation on them is pretty poor too. Sometimes they won't just crawl from a horizontal to vertical drop with thier bodies bending, but will instead act like a boat where their animations will stay flat so they crawl from a ceiling to wall as if they were a boat. Completely stiff.

This game had a 7 year delay and still feels like it was unfinished. I will say I'm enjoying the game so far, but not in the way Sega intended. This game needs some serious riffing.

that serves the load i couldnt describe how i felt about it untill u did it for me. but u agree its a cool game. but i think your complaining of AI is ok. have you tried the hardest difficulty? surely that would be different and your opinion would change.

on top of all that we said. it doesnt feel like a sega game

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 03:01:39 pm »
Glad they delayed the Wii U version, because I may have actually bought this game otherwise.

Now that's a truly scary thought.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »
Damnit, I'm glad I didn't buy it after seeing all the negativity, but I was really hoping this game would do well for SEGA. Instead, people assume it's SEGA's fault for the game being a wreck, cause people think they can't do right anymore.

It's very disappointing that the single player was outsourced (if true, but it explains a lot).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 03:34:45 pm »
I'm going to abstain from going one way or the other, at least until I play the game myself, but reviews I've seen have been mixed. However, from the reviews I've read, and from the videos, I actually really want to give this game a try. I have a feeling I might actually enjoy it. It's a shame it's not a 9/10 title, but the 7/10 or 3.5/5 reviews I've read have thus far been the most level headed assessments of the game.

I mean, there are games like Ghostbusters The Video Game or Viking that got scores similar to Colonial Marines, yet I enjoyed those games.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:37:53 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline thearcticsea

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 03:51:29 pm »
Not really anything of importance to add. I knew this game was going to be terrible and rued another poor decision by western based Sega management.

Enough with this Sega West bullshit. They strike out way more often than they hit.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 04:06:49 pm »
Well i've read good reviews of the game and bad ones. Even seen a good review on TV.
Oh good, the reviewers laundry is done...

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 04:38:37 pm »
It's getting better further in. It's definitely not a AA title, but it's not exactly horrendous. When you end up fighting these guns for hire, they are actually a real threat and have good AI to them. Kinda sad that they are more dangerous than the Aliens.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 01:59:14 am »
So for people defending this game, do you enjoy other shooters? I just can't help but feel people give this game a pass because it's published by Sega.

I mean, really everything I see about this title looks like a trainwreck. I can understand saying it's so bad it's hilarious though.

Seriously semmie, start playing some non-Sega games to get over this tunnel vision.

Come to think of it, has Sega ever published a good shooter? Conduit wasn't bad, don't know if I would put it up there as a particularly memorable example of the genre though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:02:01 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 02:41:53 am »
Semmie needs some Far Cry 3. Seriously.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 03:37:10 am »
Semmie needs some Far Cry 3. Seriously.

i finished far cry 2 . half lifes. been busy with bioshock. finished a vs p.
im forced to play other games.. god of war is a game u cant let down. assassins creed was awesome as well
now that i have proven that to get back to  colonial marines.

colonial marines is a fucking good game. surely if you have played this game you will think ( i played better) that is not unbelievable. and it is not the pinnacle of fps such s SIN half life and loads of other tops.( i dont like MOH and call of duty. its rascism they do and if afganis were that easy why didnt they defeat them?) i dont love those games

not to forget i also played alla them halo. and even dumb ass games such as haze. and rocking games such as the conduit and timesplitters.

colonial marines is really a good game. Just forget it is of sega ok?.

do you want a good story line?
do you love the alien theme?
-difficulty level hardest good AI
do you like retro graphics yet at the same time polished to fit in 2013?
do u want challenge?
do u like campaign story mode which is big?
do u want to play online and have a big amount of replay?

then play colonial marines
it may not be the best but it deserves a chair with the high chief fps

to shigs: i finished far cry 2 it was cool. but i dont like far cry 3 cause that dude is stupid with his hair and i just dont like the story. i guess its a matter of taste. but fc2 was really good

Offline loempiavreter

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 07:25:48 am »
So for people defending this game, do you enjoy other shooters? I just can't help but feel people give this game a pass because it's published by Sega.

I mean, really everything I see about this title looks like a trainwreck. I can understand saying it's so bad it's hilarious though.

Seriously semmie, start playing some non-Sega games to get over this tunnel vision.

Come to think of it, has Sega ever published a good shooter? Conduit wasn't bad, don't know if I would put it up there as a particularly memorable example of the genre though.

For some reson I thought I missed a SHMUP game based on the aliens franchise made by SEGA. Then we was talking about the stupid FPS game. I haven't tried the game, but I think i'll stick to Alien 3: The Gun. I don't like FPS games anyway, prefer a lightgun.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 07:59:37 am »
Sigh, this is really Sega's fault. Remember when ALIENS RPG and this game was put on hold/cancelled with several other titles that was caught up in development hell? The result was that Simon Jeffry the guy who originally signed the licenses and gave the contracts to a lot of companies was kicked out, Sega canned or sold on some of the titles to claw back money while Hayes had the decision to re organise and keep on some of the titles on hold. ACM was one of them. Only thing was GBX moved on to do Borderlands and several other projects, so when Sega decided to move on the project with GBX, they didn't have enough of the staff anymore.And they didn't retify it. it seems the leagacy of Simon jeffry's Sega regin continues, signing up great games, licenses and development studios only to result in unfinshed games, rubbish and poor design or absolute flops. Great and promising potential only to be squandered and lost. Oh well, the next ALIENS game was under Hayes reign, so it should at least be good. Interesting note that Wayforward's ALIENS INFESTATION is, judging by the scores, the better recent Sega ALIENS game. And not enough people brought it since the NDS was dying a death.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 08:09:43 am »

Sega's done 9 shooters so far...

VIGILANCE
OUTTRIGGER
THE CLUB
THE CONDUIT
CONDUIT 2
ALIENS VS PREDATOR
VANQUISH
BINARY DOMAIN
ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES
If you include DOOM on 32x which they just published/ported then its ten. Strange actually because Sega was one of the first of the big companies to support/recognise the potential of FPS in a market that was still dominated by street fighter clones. You'd think they'd done more.

Out of them, VANQUISH, THE CLUB and BINARY DOMAIN were good because they all approched the TPS/ FPS genre differently. OUTTRIGGER though was the bomb and pity it hasn't been ported outside of its arcade /DC roots, a bit more.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 12:51:41 pm »
Good list. You can add Condemned 1 and 2 to that, which granted are not not 100% shooters but have very solid FPS areas. 

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 01:05:38 pm »

I don't think most Sega Fans care about Aliens (games)