Author Topic: iPad: Who gives a shit?  (Read 49889 times)

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
Re: iPad: Who gives a shit?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 11:43:12 am »
Quote from: "Orta"
Quote from: "Emmett The Crab"
1)  Why doesn't it work as a book reader?  The iBooks application is better than Kindle (It's in color, and you can change the fonts and text size), but if you still like the Kindle, there's an Amazon Kindle App for the iPad.  

Battery, having to stare at a computer screen to read. These screens hurt my eyes. The battery lasts 10 hours, but that's not enough when you're away from home. If I was to use this as a book reader I wouldn't want to be stuck to a wall.

2)  The dock port is USB, just proprietary.  There is a both a software and hardware wireless Keyboard, or Keyboard dock.  

Which means, "pay a load of money to Apple to be able to use a USB port". Why not put a regular port instead? Why can't I shove a USB memory stick in one of those things so I can copy a few photos my friend wants to give me? I have to carry some adapter around? To think Apple were the first to ditch serial ports in favor of USB! Good luck with that software keyboard by the way.

3)  Why doesn't it work as well as a game machine?  There's no such thing as an "iTouch".  

Because I don't know what it is. Is it a portable system? Is it a home system? Will it get real games? Yeah, real games. By that I don't mean stuff that will last as long as the novelty lasts.

I know you told us at the end that you were ignorant, but why post at all?

I was looking for someone who could prove me wrong. You certainly didn't help. I still can't see how the device fares better than anything else I mentioned on my first post.

It tries to be a lot but, ultimately, in the eyes of a possible buyer like me, it fails. Sure, I never used one, but given the pros and the cons which any potential buyer looks at beforehand, there's nothing here that'd make me want to spend my money.

I would try reading something on it before you dismiss it because it's a "computer screen".  I also find it hard to believe that you would read for 10 hours straight, then rather than taking a break while it charges, you would keep reading while it's plugged in.  How long does the Kindle battery last?  I assume it's much longer, since you think 10 hours is way too short.  

The card reader adapter is really small.  None of my computers at home or work have built in card readers, but my TV and one of my printers do.  I don't really care either way.  The adapter is $29.00.  If that's a load of money, then I feel sorry for you.

Nice how you glossed right over the fact that you can buy an Apple wireless keyboard, the same one they sell for Macs.  If you don't like that there's a Keyboard Dock.  So far since the speculation about the iPad, the biggest complaint is that there's no keyboard.  I never thought I would see someone use that argument after it has been proven false.  Way to go!  

Gaming - It's definitely a portable system.  What it can do is pretty cool, but I would prefer a hardware interface for my games.  on the iPhone Apple has allowed developers to build things for the dock port.  I keep waiting for a controller, but so far no one has been brave enough to build one.  I think I mostly agree with you there.  I don't know that anyone buys it for gaming only, though.

Here's an article about the 25 Best Launch games.  They look pretty good, and "real" to me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 11:50:45 am »
I was going to reply. Then I came across this.

It has a custom A4 chip and actually runs full computer-like applications Keynote, Numbers and Pages (Think Apple's version of Powerpoint, Excel and Word).

I'm not going to argue with salesmen. Sorry.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 12:08:24 pm »
I was going to reply. Then I came across this.

It has a custom A4 chip and actually runs full computer-like applications Keynote, Numbers and Pages (Think Apple's version of Powerpoint, Excel and Word).

I'm not going to argue with salesmen. Sorry.  

What a cop-out.  I'm not a salesman.  I don't give a rip if you buy it or not.  The chip was designed by Apple, not intel or IBM, like on Macs, so the software and hardware were built to work together.  That's the limit of my knowledge on the subject.  Please don't buy an iPad, Orta.  You can't even afford a $29.00 adapter anyway.  If I was a salesman,  would walk right past you.  I just don't like waking up in the morning and being told I'm a "complete moron".  Past that, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks about the iPad, unless you are misleading people with poor fact-checking.

I just came across this:

Quote from: "orta"
I was looking for someone who could prove me wrong.

Really, on a thread titled "iPad: Who gives a shit?".  You're preaching to the choir on this hate-thread.  If you really wanted to be convinced, you would go somewhere where people know something about it.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 12:13:09 pm »
I hope the jailbreak iPad brings in some functions I want. Though at the moment, the iPad does not work for me as a computing device. I hope they bring out a touchscreen laptop. That would rock, especially with 3G.

I like the idea of 3G on a mobile device that is not a phone.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 12:18:13 pm »
Quote from: "George"
I hope the jailbreak iPad brings in some functions I want. Though at the moment, the iPad does not work for me as a computing device. I hope they bring out a touchscreen laptop. That would rock, especially with 3G.

I like the idea of 3G on a mobile device that is not a phone.

Jailbreaking is not as big a deal on the iPad.  I think with the iPhone they are worried about people hacking into their AT&T service somehow.  I personally wouldn't do it, because any software update can turn the device into a paperweight.  Braver people out there can.  

I also think that more functionality will come with more apps for it.  There may not be a way right now for people to sign PDFs with a stylus, for example, but I am expecting someone will create something.

Offline Orta

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 12:29:19 pm »
What a cop-out.  I'm not a salesman.  I don't give a rip if you buy it or not.  The chip was designed by Apple, not intel or IBM, like on Macs, so the software and hardware were built to work together.

"Custom A4 chip"... Great. Do you know how it works? Do you know anything about computer architecture and how it'll improve your daily life? Aren't we discussing the devices' features? But yeah, sure, cool, it has a "custom A4 chip" and you're not a salesman...

That's the limit of my knowledge on the subject.  Please don't buy an iPad, Orta.  You can't even afford a $29.00 adapter anyway.

Wow... Now you're being arrogant. Seriously, don't be hurt. It's just a machine. There is no reason for it not to include a USB port. By the way, $29 usually translates to €29 for me. This, at the current exchange rate, is around $39. A USB port doesn't even come close $5. Even game consoles have them. If I pay $500 (or rather €500) for something sold as a netbook I'm expecting, at the very least, a simple USB port.

If I was a salesman,  would walk right past you.  I just don't like waking up in the morning and being told I'm a "complete moron".

Where did I call you a complete moron? Actually, where did I insult anyone?

Past that, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks about the iPad, unless you are misleading people with poor fact-checking.

I just came across this:

Really, on a thread titled "iPad: Who gives a shit?".  You're preaching to the choir on this hate-thread.  If you really wanted to be convinced, you would go somewhere where people know something about it.

Where did I "hate" your hearted device? I merely pointed things against getting one. Those are my reasons as you have yours for buying one. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the matter. What you said, what I cared to read (right until that "custom chip" pitch) wasn't convincing at all.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 12:42:38 pm »
What a cop-out.  I'm not a salesman.  I don't give a rip if you buy it or not.  The chip was designed by Apple, not intel or IBM, like on Macs, so the software and hardware were built to work together.

"Custom A4 chip"... Great. Do you know how it works? Do you know anything about computer architecture and how it'll improve your daily life? Aren't we discussing the devices' features? But yeah, sure, cool, it has a "custom A4 chip" and you're not a salesman...

That's the limit of my knowledge on the subject.  Please don't buy an iPad, Orta.  You can't even afford a $29.00 adapter anyway.

Wow... Now you're being arrogant. Seriously, don't be hurt. It's just a machine. There is no reason for it not to include a USB port. By the way, $29 usually translates to €29 for me. This, at the current exchange rate, is around $39. A USB port doesn't even come close $5. Even game consoles have them. If I pay $500 (or rather €500) for something sold as a netbook I'm expecting, at the very least, a simple USB port.

If I was a salesman,  would walk right past you.  I just don't like waking up in the morning and being told I'm a "complete moron".

Where did I call you a complete moron? Actually, where did I insult anyone?

Past that, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks about the iPad, unless you are misleading people with poor fact-checking.

I just came across this:

Where did I "hate" your hearted device? I merely pointed things against getting one. Those are my reasons as you have yours for buying one. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the matter. What you said, what I cared to read (right until that "custom chip" pitch) wasn't convincing at all.

It's more arrogant to assume that I care whether you buy one or not.  I am defending my position and the reason I bought one.  You didn't call me a moron, fluffy did.  My point was not that it's a multi-purpose chip that the rest of the device was built around, it was built for the device only.  I already said that's as much as I know about it.  How can you, in one breath, say that I am unconvincing and I don't know what I'm talking about, and then say that I seem knowledgeable.  Pick one.  And you keep harping on this salesman thing.  We get it.  You needed a reason to stop reading because I pointed out the fact that you said it doesn't have a keyboard.  I see that on threads all the time.  When someone gets their mistakes pointed out, they say, "I stopped reading after...  or I stopped reading because..."  It's a tired and transparent excuse to not have to respond when your mistakes get pointed out.

Stop calling me a salesman.  That's where you insult me, and try to bring yourself up.  You think you are so great that it will somehow be important if I can convince the great Orta to buy one.  Get over yourself.  Like I said before, don't buy one.  I really don't want you to.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 12:52:36 pm »
iPad; SErious business

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 12:57:22 pm »
jesus, the internet really raises my blood pressure. Couple Sonic 4 with iPad debates and I'm likely to be dead by 30.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 12:58:06 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
jesus, the internet really raises my blood pressure. Couple Sonic 4 with iPad debates and I'm likely to be dead by 30.

lmao, well.  Try to avoid those arguments then.  That's really all you can do.

Offline Orta

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 12:59:34 pm »
You needed a reason to stop reading because I pointed out the fact that you said it doesn't have a keyboard.

I never said this. I pointed the keyboard fact because you're limited to the software keyboard. If you're going to work for a while software keyboards don't work. I knew you could get an external one. But if you have to buy extra, what's the point of Apple selling me the device as a netbook?

I see that on threads all the time. When someone gets their mistakes pointed out, they say, "I stopped reading after... or I stopped reading because..." It's a tired and transparent excuse to not have to respond when your mistakes get pointed out.

I read everything to that point and nothing you told me was helpful. When I point out the fact the device doesn't have a USB port you tell me I'm poor and that I shouldn't ever buy the iPad! It looks like I'm not worthy enough!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'll stop calling you a salesman but, please, stop putting words in my mouth to prove your arguments... Yawn

Except there are people praising and who like the iPad. Poor Sonic, everybody hates him.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 01:01:06 pm »
Sonic 4 on the iPad will lead to insta-heart attack.

Offline Orta

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 01:01:54 pm »
Sonic 4 on the iPad will lead to insta-heart attack.

It's more like a blackhole, the internet imploding and shit. But that'll do.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 01:03:01 pm »
For those of you who hate the ipad;

here is your apple free technology RSS feed

http://www.engadget.com/exclude/Apple/

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 01:08:38 pm »
I think USB support is a rather odd complaint about the iPad. Yes, it would be nice, but it doesn't really hurt the device. It's clearly not a laptop, it's a big iPod. Even if USB was supported, I'm sure Apple would but a cap on device memory. Last thing Apple wants is for people to buy the lowest internal storage possible, and then tack on a cheap USB card that gives super storage space.

Oh, and Sonic 4 rules, I really enjoy SASAR, I voted Obama and I'm pro-health care reform! Deal with it, internet!!!