Author Topic: Crap you collect or collected  (Read 24989 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Crap you collect or collected
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:55:35 am »
I'm assuming that being members of a Sega fan site, y'all probably collect Sega things. Be it Sega games, Sega consoles, Sonic plush toys or Segata paraphernalia. The problem with collecting, is that you start to collect other things. So I'm curious, what other things do any of you collect (non-sega, non-video game)?

Here's my collecting history:

1988-mid 1990's
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Mostly action figures and playsets, had all the main characters, lots of villains, the turtle van, the turtle's hideout, the technodrome, the mini technodrome and lots of other bizarre things (a giant mosquito?!)

1988-mid 1990's
Ghostbusters
Mostly action figures and playsets. I had the firehouse and car, the second series of the figures and tons of ghosts.

1989-mid 1990's
LEGO Pirates/Islanders/Imperial Guards
I had lots of smaller sets and ships, but did have the huge prison island, an imperial outpost and a little islander island

1989-now
The Simpsons
During the 90's I had tons of figures and trading cards. Now I just get the DVDs and the occasional comic book. I especially like the Radioactive Man comics.

late 1980's - now
Star Wars
I used to be obsessed with the Action Fleet line, which sold the ships and vehicles in a figure size. The figures were less than an inch tall and I had them all in a sandwich bag. lol, one of the Stormtroopers had a tiny helmet that came off to reveal a tiny George Lucas head.

These aren't mine, but I had most of these. I was a big fan of the Imperial ships:

Aren't those fucking cool?? Slave 1's cargo hold opened to reveal a platform and a little Han Solo in carbonite. The Tie Bomber was my favorite.
Nowadays I just get the DVDs. No figures or anything else.

I still have all the shit mentioned above, though nearly all of it is in storage at my parents house. I look forward to the day when I'm in my mid-30's and I have to take the boxes out of my parents hands and find a place to put them :P
I would never fucking sell anything.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Crap you collect or collected
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:12:07 am »
I also collected TMNT, I had a ton of action figures and it was sort of an obsession as a kid. I then graduated to collecting DBZ stuff in like 1996-2000.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:52:37 am »
I used to collect games and SEGA stuff, but then I realized I needed money, so there went that habit.

With toys when I was little I literally had every Darkwing Duck figure out, and then when the Earthworm Jim toys came around, I got almost all of those too (Fucking head on Jim would not stop breaking!). I am not sure if I had any vast collection of other toys though. At one time I was really into Digimon stuff, but it is best we do not talk about that!

In the future I want to collect everything Virtua Fighter, which is a fairly easy thing to do. It will only get hard and a massive waste of money once I figure out I can purchase arcade cabinets pretty easily. I might collect Ecco the Dolphin stuff too, but that seems extremely hard to do considering how vast and varied that all is, I mean did you guys know the UK had a limited edition pack of the first game back when limited edition games meant they were limited, and not called Game of the Year Edition?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:15:02 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
With toys when I was little I literally had every Darkwing Duck figure out

Ha! I had the Megavolt figure that shot sparks from his chest. It was the only Darkwing figure I had, so he became a Ninja Turtle enemy.

[youtube:gn1qtltw]63YruDd2nJY[/youtube:gn1qtltw]

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:27:55 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Ha! I had the Megavolt figure that shot sparks from his chest. It was the only Darkwing figure I had, so he became a Ninja Turtle enemy.

That was actually the last Darkwing Duck toy I got rid of, only a few months ago actually. He was the best DWD villian, so I imagine he fit in well with TMNT  8-)

Man those were the best toys back in the day, weren't they? The sparks that lit up in Megavolt were literally started the same way you would use a lighter, and the generation before us had shit like wood burning equipment. It must be so fucking lame to grow up now in comparison.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:40:41 am »
This is a good topic.  When I get some time I'll post pictures.

When I was a kid:  (70's and 80's) I collected Micronauts, He-Man, Transformers and GI-Joe, and Star Wars toys.  (I had the Hoth Set from the series Barry is talking about).

Now:  I collect Clive Barker Novels.  I have flown to Seattle and Burbank, CA for signings of his.  He may be tired of seeing me.  I've got all of his novels, short stories and movies signed, and I have a giant poster of Midnight Meat Train signed and illustrated by him framed in my living room.  My wife is very forgiving.

Godzilla:  I( have tons of the Japanese Godzilla toys in both the 8" and the newer 6" scale.  

TMNT:  The cartoon was after my time, but I have collected the comic book since I was in Jr. High.  I have first printings of every book in every series except #1 and #2.  I also don't have any of the Archie series based on the cartoon.  For me, the real turtles all have red bandanas and don't have their initials on their belts.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 10:53:57 am »
Oh yeah! That Hoth set was awesome as it was, from what I remember, decorated with an awesome production painting.

Offline Snowcat

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 03:42:01 pm »
Hmm

I collect Comics (TMNT, Iron Man, Spawn, Titans, Xforce, Cable, Sonic)

Any CDs by Barenaked Ladies (the band...)

DVDs ... Well, thats just me justifying myself buying a shit load of them.

Film Memorabilia (from films I like)

Besides that, I have collected Ghostbusters figures, Pound Puppies, Pokemon toys, cacti (yes the plants), Batman figures, Spider-man figures and old cameras. Starwars transformers, Star wars figures, Star wars easy kits.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 08:43:27 pm »
When I was little, it was all about the Ninja Turtles, and Batman figures.  Then Power Rangers MegaZords, and Beast Wars transformers.

I've got a pretty solid movie collection (DVD's and Blu Rays).

I haven't really been caught up on comics for the past two years, but I've got a few hundred individual issues (lots of X-men stuff), a couple X-Men Omnibuses (Omnibi?), and some complete collections of trades (Ranma, Bone, Y: The Last Man, Scott Pilgrim, etc...)

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 02:21:51 pm »
Coins - Gold, quarters, mint pennies, silver pennies, special pennies, special x

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 03:14:34 am »
I've been trying to get ahold of TMNT 1st printing #1.  On Ebay it's going for around $1000.00 to $5000.00 Back when I didn't have money, I couldn't afford to pay $150.00 to $200.00 for it.  Now that I could afford that, it's way more expensive.  

Me:  "I don't suppose you'd be cool with me spending $1000.00 on a comic book."
Wife:  "Not when you won't let me pay off my student loans!"

The interest rate is like 3%!  It's only $50.00 per month!

Offline Snowcat

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 05:33:37 am »
...Good luck getting that, i've seen it go for about over $3000 on Ebay a few months ago.

I'm not really a completest when it comes to things (Unless its easy and cheap to complete) ... I Have graphic novels of the original TMNT series and that holds me over.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 07:45:34 am »
My dad collects Donald Duck stuff, has a whole room in the basement. He has some pretty rare items, like the complete Carl Barks library of comics (all the Uncle Scrooge comics) and the first Donald Duck book ever published. I'm an only child, so technically it is my inheritance.

edit: just checked the prices, holy crap are those things expensive!!!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 08:43:53 am »
I used to collect the metal things that cover beverage bottles. In portuguese it's "caricas", I don't know how it is called in English.

Anyway, I used to do it until I found out it was really worthless and stupid. So I quit.
SEG4GES

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 10:53:29 am »
Snow cat:  I have a 5th printing of TMNT #1, and the recent Free Comic Book Day reprint, and the old colorized graphic novels, but for some reason it gnaws at me to have a first printing of every other issue except #1.  I don't see me paying that much for it though.  The other thing about it is that issues 1-4 are magazine sized, so I don't really have a good place to keep the whole collection together.  Those first issues don't fit in the box.  

Crackdude:  They are called bottle caps.