Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 237945 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #420 on: September 20, 2016, 05:18:45 pm »
Gotta be honest I didnt even notice the new classic sonic artwork and pose untill the segabits facebook mentioned it. What a return!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #421 on: September 21, 2016, 08:56:54 am »
Yeah! The new artwork is a redrawn piece of stock art from the 90s that is now in the airbrushed style. SEGA (or more specifically the Sonic social media team) employs a free freelance fan artists who are now making official art. I believe we've seen a few new classic Sonic pieces on social media and merch, and I really hope to see some new Tails and Knuckles airbrush-style pieces.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #422 on: September 21, 2016, 08:12:11 pm »
Oh it is? Well still great to see that great brushed artstyle back. Seems like everything is falling into place as it should be. Even the legendary guy behind sonic cd's artwork is on board now. I mean who doesn't love the sonic CD artstyle direction? Would be something if they even made cutscenes similar to sonic cd's for mania.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #423 on: October 26, 2016, 11:59:53 am »

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #424 on: October 26, 2016, 02:43:11 pm »
Ohh, pretty. Had to turn the volume down mind. Nothing against the SEGA rep, but I find the "kind of funny games" crew rather annoying.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #425 on: October 26, 2016, 03:20:46 pm »
I love that giant gun gimmick, and the hand/gun looks like it came from an Eggrobo:

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #426 on: October 26, 2016, 03:42:16 pm »
Is this stage based off the infamous Dust Hill?
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #427 on: October 27, 2016, 09:35:42 am »
Man this looks and sounds great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8zmICz4q_8

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #429 on: October 27, 2016, 03:18:27 pm »
The animation and detail in Sonic Mania looks incredible. I like the idea the producer mentioned, kind of imagining what a Saturn-era Sonic game would be like.

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #430 on: October 27, 2016, 06:08:57 pm »
I love that Mania is putting Sonic in what could be a permanent positive light because it looks like an amazing 2D Sonic game.
Instead of whining that Sonic should be dead and sonic cycle this and that, I just see lapsed/classic fanboys just saying how much Sonic finally have a good game in 20 years (cringe!) and other ways to hate the modern games. I should be happy, it's progress. I could be finally enjoying talking about this series online again.

A little speculation, but that painting of a character you see with moving eyes looks unrecognizable. Is this foreshadowing of the final boss robot or something?
I also love they reused the Wanted posters of Fang/Bark/Bean.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #431 on: October 28, 2016, 04:33:36 am »
Hell, fuck the modern games if Sega can make a run of amazing 2D experiences.

Also, more and more I believe that when people think of Sonic they think Classic Sonic, and from this point of view Modern Sonic is just a gimmick
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #432 on: October 28, 2016, 06:54:20 am »
http://segabits.com/blog/2016/10/27/archie-comics-announces-sonic-mega-drive-overdrive/

-archie cover art-
The art for these comics have been way too good and accurate to the classic designs.

I can't say it enough but i'm so glad that modern and classic sonic can finally coexist.

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #433 on: October 28, 2016, 09:02:17 am »
Hell, fuck the modern games if Sega can make a run of amazing 2D experiences.

Also, more and more I believe that when people think of Sonic they think Classic Sonic, and from this point of view Modern Sonic is just a gimmick

Disagree.  I enjoyed plenty of Modern Sonic. I grew  up with Classic Sonic and don't even care if Classic Sonic is the new face of the series again. I just hate to see the good games that did show up forgotten and the tension of "you are not supposed to like Modern Sonic" should disappear as failures like 06 long lived its infamy and can be buried now that there has been a string of good titles since then, modern or classic.

EDIT: That being said, 2D Sonic was in need of a makeover. Sonic 4 wasn't so hot and Dimps went from making original titles to just making companion portable versions of the games. It was getting messy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 09:16:33 am by Kuronoa »

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #434 on: October 28, 2016, 09:32:14 am »
@Kuronoa

There's always going to be childish behaviour and hostility. You can't really do anything about 'human nature' sadly lol. But man if I wasn't pissed off myself during the time when classic sonic was written off completely, and sonic 4 was just the nail in the coffin for me personally. I haven't seen what you've been seeing but maybe that's because I don't visit the sonicfan boards. I  guess its better to avoid those places perhaps. All i've seen is people aknowledging the game looking great and that's it.

Having said that it could always end up being dissapointing no matter how it's been looking so far so despite my excitement i'm still a bit cautious.