Author Topic: So about this "Lock-On Technology"...  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
So about this "Lock-On Technology"...
« on: March 07, 2021, 08:57:18 pm »
I know that when Sonic Team were making Sonic 3 they couldn't fit it all into one cartridge so they released a seperate hard-copy expansion called Sonic & Knuckles and marketed the "Lock-On Technology" as a real selling point, as it was going to revolutionize the Mega Drive at the time.

Thing is though, only Sonic & Knuckles had the Lock-On Tech, no other games. Did Sega had ideas for other games with Lock-On Technology? I mean, these Sonic & Knuckles cartridges had some custom tech that must have made them more expensive to make than regular cartridges. Couldn't they have just use the same cartridges that they used for Mega Games 6? Those cartridges had the capacity for double the average Mega Drive game cartridge.

It's just at the time it appeared Sega were hyped on this Lock-On Technology for this one game, as if they had big plans for it but didn't appear to do much with it.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Re: So about this "Lock-On Technology"...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 12:25:17 am »
I remember other source said that actually it's not because Sonic 3 couldn't fit into single cartridge.
But it's because the game wasn't finished on time and it couldn't be delayed since there was a commitment that Sega had made to have a game out to coincide with a McDonald's promotion.
So they divided it into 2 with the one being finished into Sonic 3, and ones being unfinished later for Sonic 3 Part 2 with playable Knuckles (but then later changed into Sonic & Knuckles with the cool lock-on technology)
The "The cartridge sizes were limited in space" thing was just something that's more satisfying to say than "we are sorry we missed the deadline".
Japanese Sonic 3 version was planned to be a complete edition (since they're not in rush 'cause they had nothing to do with McDonald's promotion) featuring both Sonic 3 & Sonic 3 Part 2, that's why the cover artwork were showing both of Sonic and Knuckles.
But after the lock-on technology idea was brought up, they were released it as it was (but still not changing the cover artwork).

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 06:22:13 am »
I see, but with how they hyped up the Lock-on technology surely they had other plans for it other than Sonic & Knuckles right? I mean it's a rather unique concept for just the one game that they probably had other ideas for Sega games that could make use of the Lock-On Technology... right?

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 12:14:49 am »
It's just really only one thing for Sonic 3, never meant for more.
They hype up because well.. it's Sonic.
Sonic was biggest icon at that time, more recognized than Mickey Mouse.
But at least part of the idea were brought for SEGA 32 X Add on.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 08:13:32 am »
I see, just seemed like the hype was going to be bigger than just Sonic. Like maybe other Mega Drive games with Lock-On tech.