Author Topic: Games with excessive amount of DLC and microtransactions  (Read 7004 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Games with excessive amount of DLC and microtransactions
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:18:24 pm »
So this has become a regular thing lately. How do you go on about this  recent phenomenon?

Buy and enjoy all the content?

Buy game but ignore the DLC and micro?

Or avoid the game alltogether

Theres a couple of games that do DLC right but I feel like that has become very rare lately. Its crazy how 60 dollar games have microtransactions today

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Games with excessive amount of DLC and microtransactions
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:22 pm »
I avoid the games altogether depending on how its used. like Isolation, as I hated it didn't deether from the main game's package and was an all new addition after the fact.

While Evolved on the other hand had no single player, had a season pass and still additional DLC on top of that including cheap microtransactions. Hell no.

If you do DLC right, fine, I won't complain: See the recent Witcher 3 announced DLC. But if you do it super shaddy, like the upcoming EA Battlefront game, you basically lost me as a customer.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:05:21 pm »
Some I'm cool with, NHL 15 has Ultimate Team mode(purchase roster cards that allow you to use that player in your Team). You can buy booster packs to upgrade your team with money gained by winnim/losing games or purchase with real money.

I've spent about $5 for 2 of these packs that were pretty essential to building up my Team. It sort of sucks paying extra, but $5 isn't too bad.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 04:32:14 am »
I bought the sexy Miranda outfit on Mass Effect 2. 2euro

If it's not gameplay essential it's ok. Or if it's a significant package (Oblivion's expansions for example).

If it's somthing that feels should be included in the base game, then I just wait for it to come out complete or never buy it.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:52:05 am »
I hate that Total War games have multiple DLC packs announced before we even see a screenshot of the game.

Considering the games used to ship with about twelve playable factions, we now get about five and have to pay to get the rest. And blood.

I generally will buy a game if it looks good and ignore the DLC. Most of the time the DLC is pretty meh anyway. Sometimes I'll buy it if I really enjoyed the game a lot, or is more like an expansion pack, but usually I ignore it.

Otherwise I'll get a GOTY or 'Gold' edition like MGR on PC that came with the Jetstream Sam and Bladewolf content.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:29:06 pm »
I usually just try to buy all the DLC at once, if it's something like Saints Row or Fallout. I think additional content like levels and missions and stuff like that, is a great idea for any game, but stuff like cosmetics, I'm not exactly okay with (unless it's something like TF2 where buying cosmetics from the store is one of the draws).

I feel like Payday 2 hits the right balance. There's lots of paid DLC, new levels, characters, weapons, but there's also constant updates adding the same sort of thing for everyone. I've bought my fair share, but I've never felt the need to, y'know? It's something you can't get for free, but if you don't want to pay for new content, then that's okay, because new content is always being added for free, just like it is for money.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 12:50:49 pm »
I buy like...virtually no DLC. I don't really avoid games with awful DLC (bought Tales of Vesperia ;_;) but almost everything I've seen, I don't care about. I bought a couple of avatar icons for Mega Man 10 and bought Bass DLC, that's the only one I can remember right now.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 05:09:32 pm »
Destiny is pretty terrible when it comes to DLC. Like one of the areas meant for the DLC was found in the game itself by using a glitch. And one of the new areas in the upcoming DLC was already seen in an early trailer for the game.

Also Batman Arkham City locked Catwoman behind pre-order DLC despite her playable parts being a part of the game's story. Not that they were necessary, but they did show what she was up to and clearly just taken out of the main game so they could use it as pre-order DLC.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 06:03:08 pm »
The problem is you have to strike the right amount of rip off DLC before the consumer gets angry. I think Batman games have done just 'enough' to tick off fans but not enough for them NOT to buy the game.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 02:44:33 am »
It's definitely regular thing right now.
If Microsoft (with freaking Solitaire!!!) and Nintendo (with Pokemon Go) has jumped on board the “free-to-play” bandwagon,
then they understand that the money from it is really worth the bad press they're gonna get.

Pic from http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_2250_free-to-play-expensive-to-win-when-games-get-greedy/

Offline MercenaryOne

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 02:06:18 pm »
I wait until the core game is on extreme sale on Steam or GOG(50% off or more). And I wait till DLC is on really good sales as well. Some times games rarely get discounted even after long periods of time so I might not even buy it even if I want it.(GTA V, FallOut 4 haven't hit a price that I am willing to accept yet).

I have Total War: Shogun 2, Rome 2, and Attila. I have most of the DLC if not all for each. I spent roughly $50 total for each game and DLC. Sometimes I had to wait 1 year to get all that I wanted, sometimes I had to wait 2 years, some games I gave up on waiting for the latest DLC to get discounted. What I have noticed is through each iteration, that the DLC gets worse every new TW game that comes out. On top of that they refuse to fix game breaking bugs of the previous TW game. So because of this I have boycotted Creative Assembly. Attila will be the last CA game I own. I tried TW Attila last week after a year of not playing to see if bugs were fixed, nope game still crashes constantly, and support forums are still flooded with crash issues.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 03:05:27 pm »
90% of the games I play don't have any DLC or if they do it's minor stuff like skins which I don't care about. The rest I just ignore or only play if bundled in a "collectors edition" that I just buy by chance.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 05:32:36 pm »
I'd say Final Fantasy 13-2 was certainly guilty of having way too much DLC. It was a good game, sure, but it's clear as day that they sold me half a game, including the game's real ending.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 06:39:10 pm »
Missed Alien Isolation's Crew Expendable DLC cutoff date by a few months when i got the game for PS3.
Be like water.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 11:48:49 am »
If you have a PC capable, wait for a steam sale for the "complete" edition if it bothers you.

Thinking about it, I think DLC has been a bit better lately. Quite a few games have had free DLC afterwards or they haven't bothered with the really stupid stuff.