Author Topic: Comics and Graphic Novel General Discussion!  (Read 79925 times)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Comics and Graphic Novel General Discussion!
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2011, 11:32:06 pm »
Spoiler: The Pain arc, seriously... wtf was that ending? Naruto changed a villain with reason? The dude fucking destroyed the whole village, took bodies of people and used it as puppet? All he needed was someone to give another opinion? Seems bullshit and cheesy. Not to mention Resurrection all the people? Stupid excuse to not kill off main characters.

lol, one of my friends has said that the Pain arc was when he lost interest in Naruto's story one time. Anyway, just recently finished this:

Offline SOUP

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2011, 08:12:10 am »
Yeah, it is a big investment. Though I wouldn't have read all those Naruto chapters if it wasn't free. The Android app 'Mango' is really good.
Sadly, I don't have a smartphone, and my computer's dead :(.
I can still access this forum from work though :D.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2011, 07:49:46 pm »
Just finished this, am a little uncertain what to think of it:

Offline SOUP

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2011, 09:45:27 am »

Have you read much else of Brubaker's run?

Offline SOUP

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2011, 02:22:35 pm »
When I picked up the latest issue of Astonishing X-Men, I noticed the new issue of The Flash on the shelf. It's the first issue of the New 52 that I've seen sitting on the rack, so I made sure to pick it up.
My only experience with the Flash in comic book form has been bits with Wally West in the old JLA comic, so I didn't really know much at all about Barry Allen going into this one.  The first issue's mostly just a setup for the upcoming arc, but they have a decent amount of hints towards what may be planned for Barry's personal life.  I really had no idea he was a forensic scientist.
The art looks quite nice too :)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2011, 02:33:57 pm »
Picked up Mega Man volume 1:

Really great looking paperback. Includes the first four issues plus bonuses, mainly got it because I love Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante's art. I even wrote to Archie back in the 90's telling them SPAZ was awesome. Can't wait to read this, despite not being a big Mega Man fan (not that I dislike it, I just never had to chance to get into it).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:35:36 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2011, 07:44:14 pm »

You should read both volumes and Winter Soldier as well as Red Menace. It's a great story.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline SOUP

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2011, 08:25:20 am »
I read the new Justice League issue.
It's pretty much exactly what I was expecting. It's pretty much Green Lantern running into Batman, while they both start to investigate some strange goings-on. There's a first meeting with Superman in there as well.
Basically, the opening arc is going to be an origin for Cyborg, with the heroes coming together to face Darkseid. We'll se how it plays out.

For some amazing stuff though, I'd recommend reading through Scott Snyder's recent run on Detective Comics. I'm pretty sure it's recently been collected, or it will be soon. A perfect example of a longer arc done right.
(sidenote: There was a panel in there that actually made me gag.)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2011, 04:17:13 pm »
Have you read much else of Brubaker's run?

That was the first one I've read. Though I'm reading another Brubaker story, The Last Iron Fist Story.

Anyway, I very recently finished:

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2011, 06:32:51 pm »
I've read Superman, Static Shock, and Blue Beetle. The former because I was curious and the latter because I'm fans of the characters.

Have to say, not impressed. I generally hate reboots, and these comics only had me wishing they where still set in the old universe, Blue Beetle in particular. It feels like we're just starting over for no reason, disregarding everything from their old series. I really liked the last Blue Beetle series.

Of these, the only one I'm really gonna keep following long term is Blue Beetle, because it at least still felt like the old series, even though so much has now been negated.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2011, 07:57:25 am »
I've read Superman, Static Shock, and Blue Beetle. The former because I was curious and the latter because I'm fans of the characters.

Have to say, not impressed. I generally hate reboots, and these comics only had me wishing they where still set in the old universe, Blue Beetle in particular. It feels like we're just starting over for no reason, disregarding everything from their old series. I really liked the last Blue Beetle series.

Of these, the only one I'm really gonna keep following long term is Blue Beetle, because it at least still felt like the old series, even though so much has now been negated.
If you're going for a Superman book, you should check out Action Comics instead. I haven't really heard very many good things about George Perez's title.

@Chaosmaster8753: Let me know what you think of it. I thought Brubaker's run on Uncanny X-Men was ok, but I've heard a lot of great things about his runs on other titles.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2011, 10:10:02 am »
Two more New 52 issues popped up in my mailbox over the weekend.

The first issue of Wonder Woman was a really interesting read. It's the first Wonder Woman comic that I've ever read, but I found it to be pretty enjoyable. They don't really get into much about Wonder Woman herself.  The whole thing's a bit on the darker side, and seems like it will be pretty firmly rooted in the greek mythology aspect of the character.

Blue Beetle was enjoyable, but was pretty much all set-up. I think this one will probably read much better as a trade.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2011, 08:16:08 am »
Hey, guys, do you have any advice on good recent Superman graphic novels?

You see, I'm trying to get a couple of good ones, but every list I go through, they always have something along the timeframe of "The Death of Superman". Are there any good modern, and by modern, post 2005 Superman GN that are worth checking out?

Anyway, I'm invested in Jonah Hex right now, even though the movie adaptation was terrible, the comic book is actually quite good.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2011, 09:26:02 am »
@max_cady:
I'd recommend checking out All Star Superman by Grant Morrison.
There's also the work that Geoff Johns and Richard Donner did on Action Comics a few years ago. Those issues are collected in Superman: Last Son, and Superman: Escape From Bizarro World.
Escape From Bizarro World has artwork by Eric Powell (creator of The Goon).

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2011, 01:58:09 pm »
I've recently been reading through the entire MAX run of Punisher. Just finished all of Garth Ennis' run (which I'd read before) and just finished 'Girls in White Dresses' and am reading 'Six Hours to Kill'. GIWD started off really really good, with this great modern western feel to it, but then went off the rails at the end and it feels like introducing Jigsaw in this one was a complete waste of an interesting character they could have adapted. SHTK is pretty good so far though.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Jason Aaron's next story arc is in TPB form yet? I only have up to 'Bullseye' so far.

Also, from when Ennis finished, Dave Johnson started doing the cover art, and I LOVE his work.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:59:59 pm by MadeManG74 »