Author Topic: So Ben's the new Batman, uh?  (Read 14084 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
So Ben's the new Batman, uh?
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:35:08 pm »

Link: http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ben-affleck-is-the-new-batman-1200586881/

The ice breaker: http://youtu.be/j_xqLaj0tvM

OK, I do believe I was kinda going like "WTF!?" and I guess my rage burnt out really quickly. I think there's something to be said about Affleck that I keep hearing a lot. That there are two Afflecks:

-The Affleck from 10 years ago who has been tainted by Jigly and J-Lo's tabloid fodder;
-Neo-Affleck who stars in Argo, State of Play and The Town and has become a respectable director/actor/screenwritter;

I have to say that I'm not negative about this announcement, just cautious, this will be talked about for the next two years, so I'm thinking that it's more than enough time to see that big movie that I've always wanted.

Though, my first impression was kinda negative, if only that Nolan's Batmabn trilogy is still very much fresh in people's memories. I mean, The Dark Knight is nearly 5 years old and to this date it's the arguably the best superhero movie ever made, it's certainly on the higher echlons of the superhero genre. So, to have a new Batman this early might feel a little strange.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: So Ben's the new Batman, uh?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:58:50 pm »
It won't work for me. I've got nothing at all against Affleck. Good actor, good director, etc etc.

My problem is that Affleck is a large personality in "entertainment" culture. This will make the fact that Affleck is in the move overshadow the movie itself. So during the movie, instead of seeing Batman, I'll just be seeing Ben Affleck as Batman.

This effect, ruins movies for me. It's like you said, he was tabloid fodder for a good while. I'll never be able to believe I'm watching Bruce Wayne.

Now Jim Caviezel, whose name was tossed in the running, would have been PERFECT. Great actor, with just enough mystery to affect a perfect Bruce Wayne.

Ah well, this Superman vs Batman idea is silly anyways. Jim Caviezel should be kept for when they decide to make Batman serious again.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 02:49:40 pm »
They've always cast known actors as Batman, so I'll admit to never really seeing "Bruce Wayne" on screen - it has always been Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, and Bale first, the character second.

With Superman I've noticed they cast actors who are unknown, or were relatively unknown. Reeve, Routh, and Cavill have all worked far better in my eyes thanks to their Superman/Clark Kent role being the first time I've seen them. I'm far more inclined to fall into the fiction on screen with those actors than I am any of the Batman actors.

Seems the Batman actors always carry baggage from their past films. I think both Keaton and Bale came very close (and perhaps even succeeded) in getting past their actor persona and into the role. Both really put an effort into the role. I love the bit in Batman '89 when Keaton is in the batcave watching the Joker's broadcasts. He's in such a detective mode.

I think like past "wtf?!" comic book casting moments, we'll just have to wait and see. Keaton and Ledger were surprises, and I think given Ben's recent roles he does have the ability to do a good job.

---

Honestly, I want to know who will be playing Lex!

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:47:40 pm »
I think no matter who they'd chosen, there would have been backlash. It's way too soon to be rebooting Batman, especially in the context of a "Superman" movie. I honestly don't know what WB is thinking.

I also don't know what Affleck is thinking accepting the role, which some people will simply hate no matter how good he might be in it, at a time when he's now finally regaining popularity and becoming respected again. I hope it works out for him, he's a great guy and he has a lot of talent.

I just hope the movie's better than Man of Steel, which I hated more than any superhero movie in recent memory.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:55:13 pm »
I think no matter who they'd chosen, there would have been backlash. It's way too soon to be rebooting Batman, especially in the context of a "Superman" movie. I honestly don't know what WB is thinking.

I also don't know what Affleck is thinking accepting the role, which some people will simply hate no matter how good he might be in it, at a time when he's now finally regaining popularity and becoming respected again. I hope it works out for him, he's a great guy and he has a lot of talent.

I just hope the movie's better than Man of Steel, which I hated more than any superhero movie in recent memory.

Was it that bad? I've been wanting to watch the Man of Steel soo badly. I just loved the premise of the movie, i really like how they're finally trying to make Superman more of a character and less of this "boyscout" thing he's had going on for a long time. As a comic fan i'm really excited to watch it.

I really don't care for Ben as the new Batman though, it's such a strange move. He just doesn't seem like someone who can take "batman/bruce wayne" to another level. You always want whoever is going to replace someone in a super hero role to better that character, but i just don't see how Ben's gonna do that. It's very similar to Spider-Man. Wasn't too fond of the Amazing Spider-Man even though it wasn't all that bad. It was just the idea of starting over that really bothered me.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Ben

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 06:22:30 pm »
Yeah I mean don't let my opinion of Man of Steel dissuade you from seeing it, a lot of people loved the movie and I've had conversations with many comic book fans who thought it was one of the best Superman movies.

To me though (and I'm definitely not a comic book reader) the movie took itself far too seriously. From the beginning it's just this very serious movie and nothing about it feels like it's any fun. I'm not saying every superhero movie needs to be Iron Man, lol, but even something serious like Watchmen had its moments of fun.

It never really even tries to make any of the characters likable and unlike Zack Snyder's other movies, which have always looked visually awesome, this movie's dark and gloomy-looking, almost like someone needed to wipe the camera lens. I guess it was the look they were going for but I just didn't find it appealing. There's almost no action through most of it, so it's slow, and then the last hour is non-stop action, and that got old to me pretty quickly. Again, Zack Snyder has shot far better action than this.

I also though some of the dialogue was pretty awful.

So eh. I didn't enjoy it. It was one of those movies where about 5 minutes into it I just knew, "this is going to be one of those movies that I just won't like," and it pretty much turned out to be true.

Anyway. I think that Ben Affleck's a good actor but I also don't know if he has that spark that someone like Bruce Wayne needs. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though. I just think the choice to do a Batman movie with a new Batman right after a very well-liked Batman trilogy ended is a bad choice. I thought it was a bad choice to reboot Spider-Man so soon too, though at least in that case they gave the series a couple years to take a rest, lol.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:26:20 pm by Ben »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »
I'm hoping Ben plays a nicer Bruce Wayne. Thats what I liked about Michael Keaton, he had charisma. He knew when to put on the happy rich guy facade. I enjoyed Bale, but he was kind of an asshole as Bruce Wayne.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:21:01 pm »
As long as he plays a smart and cunning bruce wayne. I'm tired of no one getting the character right.

Offline Ben

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 11:36:10 pm »
I'm hoping Ben plays a nicer Bruce Wayne. Thats what I liked about Michael Keaton, he had charisma. He knew when to put on the happy rich guy facade. I enjoyed Bale, but he was kind of an asshole as Bruce Wayne.

haha I thought he was good in Batman Begins, but he was an asshole in the other two.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 02:20:07 pm »
haha I thought he was good in Batman Begins, but he was an asshole in the other two.

Wasn't he?! I mean, I love those films, but I was thinking back and realized how unlikable he was. I get that he is tortured and has a secret life, but he could have tried to be a little nicer in public. I don't know, I just found Michael Keaton to be so damn likable and classy as Bruce Wayne. Made the change to Batman all the more different.

I did like Bale in all the films acting wise, but I didn't really like Wayne. I also get that he pretended to be an asshole at times, it wasn't really him, but I don't get why he had to trick people into hating him.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 03:05:48 pm »
damn, i was going to edit Ben's title and put "The new Batman" lol then i remembered when i redesigned the forum skin i took away custom titles. oh well, xD

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 03:47:08 pm »
Wait, so my "Let Mom Sleep" is special?

Oh, I see. That is "Personal Text". My custom title was "Rokkaku Police"

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro